PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Forecast - Wofford

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 21st, 2009, 11:31 AM
The Good - Games with App. State, GSU, Elon, and Samford at home. Eric Breitenstein and Robby David/Mitch Allen should both be able to fill the shoes of their predecessors. Be on the lookout for Brian Kass, a true freshmen who might beat out Allen and David later in the season if he is not redshirted. Mike Ayers will most likely be reloading and not rebuilding this year. Wofford has some promising young players to fill in the gaps left behind on defense as well.

The Bad - Wofford loses three on the OL and loses all of their linebackers on their good pass rush. While they have two reasonably winnable FBS games, losing both of these (which is not out of the question) will not leave a lot of room for error.

OOC Games

@ South Florida - It will probably take Wofford a few games to get their rhythm going, and I have a feeling Wofford is going to lose this one in a close game. USF wins 28-20 xoopsx

Charleston Southern - Wofford overwhelms an overpowered Chuck South team 34-13

@ Wisconsin - The Terriers march into Madison and make us all proud. WC gets the win 30-23

The Verdict - It's going to come down to whether or not Wofford's defensive front is back. If their shoes are at least mostly filled, Wofford will finish in the top 10. Expect Wofford to put up some points as they have the past few years as well.

FCS_Fan
July 21st, 2009, 11:43 AM
How is the recruiting class? Anyone stand out?

blueballs
July 21st, 2009, 11:59 AM
Wofford, because of their schedule, may get "woofed" yet again this year.

If they lose the two FBS games they pretty much have to win the conference to get in the playoffs as 2 conference losses will leave them at 7-4, which as we've seen the last two years only works if you're in the CAA.

Just looking at who they lost and who they have coming back it is not inconceivable that Wofford's turnover margin, which has been a big key to their success in recent years, will not be in their favor as much with the loss of key playmakers on defense and experienced ball handlers on offense. IMO their fate will be measured in that stat, particularly early on.

DX Man
July 21st, 2009, 03:04 PM
7-4 would be a good year for Wofford.

crabby terrier
July 21st, 2009, 06:35 PM
How is the recruiting class? Anyone stand out?

this will probably be one of the best recruiting classes yet! tons of speed and some nice talent. xthumbsupx
couple of OL players that will work in nicely:

Tymeco Gregory 6-2 293 Greer HS Greer,SC 91 knockdown blocks as senior
Jared Singleton 6-2 330 Lugoff-Elgin HS Lugoff, SC started in'08 Shrine Bowl

at QB:
Brian Kass 6-0 205 Millbrook HS Raliegh,NC passed for almost 5000yds his last two seasons.

RB Cody Burris 6-0 190 Dublin Jerome HS Plain City,OH speed and quickness-holds school records in 100, 200, 4x100 relay and 4x200 relay.

LB Anthony Carden 6-0 210 Lexington HS Lexington, SC was RB and LB in HS. lots of quickness, speed and hits like a bull.

K/P Christian Reed 6-0 170 Station Camp HS Hendersonville, TN great technique and strong work ethic. last season 39-40 PATs, 7-12 FG long 47, 41.4 punt ave long 56.

trnsfer Clark Gaston 6-2 255 from South Car. came in as DE but has been moved to TE.

our DL is going to be fine with young guys moving up that saw much action lst year all led by 5th yr senior Mitch Clark.

QBs Mitch Allen and Robbie Davis are going to do well.

RB Eric Breitenstein is going to be a handful at 5-11 225

new walk on RB Alex Dunmire 5-10 185 had a great spring game.

our OL is going to be smaller but faster-average 6-3 284 lbs.

our LBs have beefed up 236, 245, 220, 225 lbs but still have speed.

have 2 or 3 RBs coming back from acl tears last year. one in particular looked good in spring game Sean Lees- tons of speed and quickness.

i am looking for a good season this year. hopefully we can get lucky and pull a couple of close wins and make it to play-offs. our schedule with 2 FBS games will hurt us a bit.

GO TERRIERS!!!xhurrayx

drpnut
July 21st, 2009, 07:23 PM
FCs-pwns-FBS thanks for the good props.

I believe we go 8-3 with a win over Wisc. and 2 league losses or we lose both FBS games and have 1 conference loss.

Either way I think it will be a good year for us. I'm going to the Wisc. game and taking 6 friends, one a "Badger", who has said we run the ball a lot bettet than Cal Poly and the mustangs "flat out beat us, 3 missed extra points cost them the game."

crabby terrier
July 21st, 2009, 10:40 PM
are you flying up with the team drpnut?
i decided to try it this year. i think it will be a blast!

OLDMAIN80
July 22nd, 2009, 08:37 AM
I'm on the 8-3 bandwagon, think we have a good chance to take one of the FBS games and two losses in the SOCON is always a good year. I will be in Tampa for the first game, if we pull that one off then I might edit this post and jump on the 10-1 bandwagon.xthumbsupx

drpnut
July 22nd, 2009, 08:47 AM
crabby terrier

I, and six other guys are taking an RV. We looked at the Wofford plane trip, etc. and that is $600.

Our cost per man includes: RV rental, fuel, insurance, extra mileage, food for a price of $150 per person, add game ticket and the trip is $189. WE have space for one more, are you interested? We will be leaving from G'ville/Taylors area. WE are leaving fRiday 6am.

Holla

whoanellie
July 22nd, 2009, 12:41 PM
I do think their QB loss will be more of a loss than anticipated. Great offense to run but takes experience to master.

OL FU
July 22nd, 2009, 01:06 PM
crabby terrier

I, and six other guys are taking an RV. We looked at the Wofford plane trip, etc. and that is $600.

Our cost per man includes: RV rental, fuel, insurance, extra mileage, food for a price of $150 per person, add game ticket and the trip is $189. WE have space for one more, are you interested? We will be leaving from G'ville/Taylors area. WE are leaving fRiday 6am.

Holla

Not to steal a thread, but you should attend the Greenville get together on August 15th.

The biggest Wofford fan in the world, young terrier, will be there. According to Dungeon Joe, YT loves Wofford more than Peter loved the Lord. xnodx

drpnut
July 22nd, 2009, 01:28 PM
OL FU

I am a friend of Dungeon Joe and he and YT wer going but had to cancel.

I even have a Furple going with us since he can't go to the Mizzou game. (scandalous I know)

We are still looking for one more, are you interested?

Holla

OL FU
July 22nd, 2009, 01:31 PM
OL FU

I am a friend of Dungeon Joe and he and YT wer going but had to cancel.

I even have a Furple going with us since he can't go to the Mizzou game. (scandalous I know)

We are still looking for one more, are you interested?

Holla

Well tell DJ:p

I wish I could but I don't have any boots that cover my ankles:p

Have Funxthumbsupx

drpnut
July 22nd, 2009, 01:36 PM
OL FU

Want me to bring you back a badger pelt?

OL FU
July 22nd, 2009, 01:40 PM
OL FU

Want me to bring you back a badger pelt?

That would be lovelyxthumbsupx

T-Dog
July 22nd, 2009, 01:52 PM
Wofford will have a very tough road if they lose both their FBS games.

I'm thinking 8-3 for the ankle biters.

crabby terrier
July 22nd, 2009, 01:52 PM
I do think their QB loss will be more of a loss than anticipated. Great offense to run but takes experience to master.

ben wydmyer was definitely an excellent QB but so was josh collier before him as were zolman and rodgers before him and so on. each year the best are definitely playing but the others are getting alot of reps in practice and some game time to make the transition as smooth as possible. mitch allen and robbie davis took some snaps last season and they looked really good when they touched the ball! now, i know that is not a whole season but i think we are all going to be very satisfied with their play!xnodx

crabby terrier
July 22nd, 2009, 01:57 PM
crabby terrier

Holla

i appreciate the offer. already reserved the spot and i don't have 6 days to make the trip in an rv:D

drpnut
July 22nd, 2009, 02:05 PM
crabby t

You can't hide money man, must be nice. This year I have more time than money so the RV will have to do.

If the USF game is a day game I"ll be there as well.

drpnut
July 22nd, 2009, 02:07 PM
OL FU

Some friends both Woffy/Furple folks are planning on getting together in a few weeks for a little pre-season party. Are you interested?

OL FU
July 22nd, 2009, 02:09 PM
OL FU

Some friends both Woffy/Furple folks are planning on getting together in a few weeks for a little pre-season party. Are you interested?

Absolutely. Let me know the details.

If it is a weekend then every other weekend is out for daughter time.xthumbsupx

drpnut
July 22nd, 2009, 02:11 PM
OL FU

Gotcha playa... will keep you posted...

BDKJMU
July 22nd, 2009, 02:12 PM
Wofford, because of their schedule, may get "woofed" yet again this year.

If they lose the two FBS games they pretty much have to win the conference to get in the playoffs as 2 conference losses will leave them at 7-4, which as we've seen the last two years only works if you're in the CAA.
Just looking at who they lost and who they have coming back it is not inconceivable that Wofford's turnover margin, which has been a big key to their success in recent years, will not be in their favor as much with the loss of key playmakers on defense and experienced ball handlers on offense. IMO their fate will be measured in that stat, particularly early on.

Balls, what 7 Division I win team in the So-Con the last 2 seasons got snubbed.? I know GSU was 7-4 in 07', but you'all had only 6 Div I wins. Elon blew it last season, as both they and Maine had 8 Div I wins, but Maine had 3 I-AA losses and Elon had 4, and got trounced by Liberty that last game when all they had to do was win and they were in.

Moral of the story is don't schedule Div II teams. It could come back to bite you in the arse, as it did to GSU against West GA in 07'. It may very well to UD this season, the only CAA to schedule a Div II.

A 7-4/6-2 FU or Wofford could very well make the playoffs, but the 2 I-A games isn't helping their cause. I hope if either does go 7-4/6-2 they do get in.

crabby terrier
July 22nd, 2009, 02:58 PM
crabby t

You can't hide money man, must be nice. This year I have more time than money so the RV will have to do.

If the USF game is a day game I"ll be there as well.

i'm spendin' all my time tryin' to make that $$$$$xthumbsupx

Reign of Terrier
July 22nd, 2009, 09:26 PM
If we finish 7-4 this year with losses to App, Elon, and the 2 FBS teams, we could make the playoffs, the following year I'd say we will be a top 5 if not top 10 team, even if we DON'T make the playoffs. We'll return roughly 16 or 17 starters that played 2 FBS teams as well as the additional lettermen from our 2 best recruiting classes ever in the last 2 years; they'll be juniors at the latest. I'm optimistic, I think to myself that at worst we finish 6-5 and then I think again that 2005 team finished 6-5 and this team will be better than them IMO, so I think we'll be 7-4 conservatively and 8-3 or 9-2 optimistically. 2010 is going to be the year of opportunity for us. that year we play PC, Ohio, and someone else OOC and we also face teams like Elon, the Citadel, and possibly Furman who are going to suffer a drop off with a lot of the playmakers and starters leaving. Not to mention App State might be a little dropped off...when I say that I mean they'll be a top 5 or 10 team as opposed to a top 3 team. GSU, Samford, and Western are going to be the rising powers of the Socon. Wofford Football will be very interesting to watch in the next few years.

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 23rd, 2009, 08:12 AM
Balls, what 7 Division I win team in the So-Con the last 2 seasons got snubbed.? I know GSU was 7-4 in 07', but you'all had only 6 Div I wins. Elon blew it last season, as both they and Maine had 8 Div I wins, but Maine had 3 I-AA losses and Elon had 4, and got trounced by Liberty that last game when all they had to do was win and they were in.

Moral of the story is don't schedule Div II teams. It could come back to bite you in the arse, as it did to GSU against West GA in 07'. It may very well to UD this season, the only CAA to schedule a Div II.

A 7-4/6-2 FU or Wofford could very well make the playoffs, but the 2 I-A games isn't helping their cause. I hope if either does go 7-4/6-2 they do get in.

You're right about 2007. It was dumb of GSU, Elon, and The Citadel to schedule sub-DI games with FBS teams that year. But I still think there is (if not a name-recognition bias) a CAA/A-10 bias. The best example showing this is Wofford from 2002. I don't remember who all was in the playoffs that year, but on paper (and from seeing both teams in person) Wofford was clearly a better team than Maine was. That was the only SoCon team (and that includes Marshall) to beat a playoff GSU team in Statesboro in the regular season. Wofford also beat App. State in Boone that year. I think it was the biggest playoff snub ever.

Any team not named App. State, GSU, Furman, or Wofford will probably have to win the SoCon to get into the playoffs.

Reign of Terrier
July 23rd, 2009, 10:34 AM
Any team not named App. State, GSU, Furman, or Wofford will probably have to win the SoCon to get into the playoffs.

you CAN'T be suggesting that the big 3 is now the big 4 right?:p

phoenixphanatic21
July 23rd, 2009, 01:45 PM
you CAN'T be suggesting that the big 3 is now the big 4 right?:p

xlolx
Hopefully we can make it a big 5 after this year.

OL FU
July 23rd, 2009, 01:57 PM
xlolx
Hopefully we can make it a big 5 after this year.

I was thinking it was Gasouth and Furman that were hanging on to by their finger nails. :(

Zoo
July 28th, 2009, 01:09 AM
I'm hoping Wofford does good this year.

However, as a bigtime Badger fan, those Terriers are going to be a tough team. They'll be tougher then some of our Big Ten schedule this year.

Wofford WILL give the Badgers a game, the game WILL be decided by six points or LESS.

appfan2008
August 5th, 2009, 08:33 PM
7-4 for me... going 6-2 in conference

ASU_Fanatic
August 5th, 2009, 08:34 PM
I see a down year for Wofford.

ASU_MBA
August 5th, 2009, 08:51 PM
I agree with the "Down Year" statement. They may get an upset or two but they return very few players from their team last year. So 7-4 or 6-5 is likely. FBS games and tough App state, Furman, Elon etc....

Reign of Terrier
August 5th, 2009, 09:11 PM
I see a down year for Wofford.

I agree with the "Down Year" statement. They may get an upset or two but they return very few players from their team last year. So 7-4 or 6-5 is likely. FBS games and tough App state, Furman, Elon etc....

everybody said the same thing last yearxthumbsupx

ASU_MBA
August 6th, 2009, 01:42 PM
everybody said the same thing last yearxthumbsupx

I never said that last year until after Halloween....but let's be honest your team last year had more talent and experience...

WOCO
August 6th, 2009, 01:54 PM
I never said that last year until after Halloween....but let's be honest your team last year had more talent and experience...

Last years team had more experience for sure, but except for Andy, I really see the talent going up across the board at almost every position. One thing about wofford is that we play a lot of people in every game and not just in garbage time. Look at out quarterbacks for example. That's one reason that there hasn't been much of a drop off in our level of play from year to year. You don't have people coming in that don't have game experience. They just end up playing more than the year before. There isn't the "first time on the field shock" that you get when you have teams that have their senior starters play the entire game.