OSBF
July 20th, 2009, 12:13 PM
http://pantagraph.com/sports/article_c4942526-7542-11de-ba3e-001cc4c03286.html

Redbird Ray
July 20th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Give em Hell Birds. xsplatx

bluehenbillk
July 20th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Sounds like it's still a 2-team league to me.

TexasTerror
July 20th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Here you go...

Team (First-Place Votes) Points

1. Northern Iowa (26) 314

2. Southern Illinois (9) 281

3. South Dakota State 231

4. North Dakota State (1) 206

5. Western Illinois 174

6. Youngstown State 171

7. Missouri State 111

8. Illinois State 90

9. Indiana State 42

GannonFan
July 20th, 2009, 01:20 PM

Eh, SDSU could threaten the hegemony at the top. What's hurt the MVFC is the dropoff of WIU and YSU as of late. Both were solid programs at one time and neither has had success of late (although YSU had that run in '06).

jmufan999
July 20th, 2009, 03:17 PM
yeah what's going on with YSU? good point, gannon.

Redbird Ray
July 20th, 2009, 04:18 PM
yeah what's going on with YSU? good point, gannon.

The sweater vest coaches the Buckeyes now. xlolx

leatherneck177
July 21st, 2009, 01:36 PM
Western has not done a good job of reloading on a yearly basis. They have not taken nearly the same number of FBS transfers that they used to either.

I'm still optimistic for the year, we should have more variety on offense.

Gil Dobie
July 21st, 2009, 03:04 PM
Eh, SDSU could threaten the hegemony at the top. What's hurt the MVFC is the dropoff of WIU and YSU as of late. Both were solid programs at one time and neither has had success of late (although YSU had that run in '06).

They have UNI, SIU and NDSU at home this year too

darell1976
July 21st, 2009, 03:06 PM
I think that poll is pretty acurate. I think its gonna be between UNI and SIU. Who gave NDSU a first place vote??? xconfusedx

ValleyChamp
July 21st, 2009, 03:15 PM
Western has not done a good job of reloading on a yearly basis. They have not taken nearly the same number of FBS transfers that they used to either.

I'm still optimistic for the year, we should have more variety on offense.

You mean, you dont think its good enough to hand it off to Donaldson 45 times per game??xlolx

ValleyChamp
July 21st, 2009, 03:17 PM
IMO, SDSU will be hurt much more than people think by the loss of Berry.

Redbird Ray
July 21st, 2009, 03:27 PM
IMO, SDSU will be hurt much more than people think by the loss of Berry.

I tend to agree with this. Too bad because if SDSU would have had UNI, SIU, and NDSU at home last season like they do this year, they may have won the league crown last year.

Can't wait till SIU has to play in Brookings in the snow in November like we did last year. I've never seen a home field advantage like that in FCS. Although it didn't help that our DBs would fall down everytime a snowflake hit them on the cheek, but still, that first half was like fighting a land war in Asia. xbowx

MSUBear42
July 21st, 2009, 04:57 PM
Here you go...

Team (First-Place Votes) Points

1. Northern Iowa (26) 314

2. Southern Illinois (9) 281

3. South Dakota State 231

4. North Dakota State (1) 206

5. Western Illinois 174

6. Youngstown State 171

7. Missouri State 111

8. Illinois State 90

9. Indiana State 42

Switch #s 5-7 to read MSU, WIU, YSU for my opinion.

UNIFanSince1983
July 21st, 2009, 05:52 PM
Getting SIU at home is a big plus for us, but having to go to SDSU and NDSU will hurt us. Personally I think losing our entire secondary will be a big problem, and losing the all time leading rusher in UNI history will not be good. I think we can still do it, and will do it, but I don't think we are as big of a shoe in as everyone else seems to think.

Sturgisjeff
July 21st, 2009, 07:17 PM
SDSU wont be hurt by the loss of Berry. There are at least four quarterbacks in camp and all have ability. The lines are where they will be hurt.

Redbird Ray
July 21st, 2009, 07:21 PM
Getting SIU at home is a big plus for us, but having to go to SDSU and NDSU will hurt us. Personally I think losing our entire secondary will be a big problem, and losing the all time leading rusher in UNI history will not be good. I think we can still do it, and will do it, but I don't think we are as big of a shoe in as everyone else seems to think.

I would agree with this. Unlike most of the preseason literature on the Valley, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if anyone 1-5 wins the conf title.

Does anyone think Indiana State won't finish last? They came on strong at the end of the year last season (and by came on strong, I mean closer margin of victory). Its pretty easy to rank a team that only has 1 win in the last four years last in conf, but does anyone think this is the year the mighty Sycamore climbs out of the cellar? xrolleyesx

Redbird Ray
July 21st, 2009, 07:23 PM
I would agree with this. Unlike most of the preseason literature on the Valley, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if anyone 1-5 wins the conf title.

Does anyone think Indiana State won't finish last? They came on strong at the end of the year last season (and by came on strong, I mean closer margin of victory). Its pretty easy to rank a team that only has 1 win in the last four years last in conf, but does anyone think this is the year the mighty Sycamore climbs out of the cellar? xrolleyesx

And btw, it won't be ISU red taking their place if they do. xeyebrowx

ValleyChamp
July 21st, 2009, 07:37 PM
SDSU wont be hurt by the loss of Berry. There are at least four quarterbacks in camp and all have ability. The lines are where they will be hurt.

Huh? It doesn't matter if they have "ability". Fact is, you can't just step in at that position and be successfull. It takes some experience and many growing pains. Berry was a huge part of that team last year, and losing him will hurt them.

Gil Dobie
July 21st, 2009, 07:40 PM

After seeing SDSU play half a game without Berry last year, I would tend to agree with you. xthumbsupx

Chi Panther
July 21st, 2009, 11:28 PM
I tend to agree with this. Too bad because if SDSU would have had UNI, SIU, and NDSU at home last season like they do this year, they may have won the league crown last year.

Can't wait till SIU has to play in Brookings in the snow in November like we did last year. I've never seen a home field advantage like that in FCS. Although it didn't help that our DBs would fall down everytime a snowflake hit them on the cheek, but still, that first half was like fighting a land war in Asia. xbowx

BS....no way. UNI lost to 2 FCS teams last year by 4 total points in 14 seconds on the clock and 5 TO's in one of those games. UNI was clearly a better team than SDSU. However I still feel UNI is a better team than Richmond...but I guess its just opinions...

Twentysix
July 22nd, 2009, 04:46 AM
BS....no way. UNI lost to 2 FCS teams last year by 4 total points in 14 seconds on the clock and 5 TO's in one of those games. UNI was clearly a better team than SDSU. However I still feel UNI is a better team than Richmond...but I guess its just opinions...

Prettysure UNI beat god in football.

Anyways, I am really looking foreward to playing UNI in the dome, i wish we could of met during the reign of walker. But thats to bad.

I think the folks that travel for the game will be very impressed with our dome, as it is much larger. (I feel i can speak on this matter due to me going to the UNI dome in person. A nice facility despite the ****ty backrests and bleachers.)

Anyways, im sure like the rest of fargo cant wait to host you all.

My poll is pure optimisim:
NDSU gets into the playoffs and wins atleast one game, because that may just be enough to get a playoff game in fargo!
Winning a NC would be great, but we can wait.

leatherneck177
July 22nd, 2009, 09:47 AM
Switch #s 5-7 to read MSU, WIU, YSU for my opinion.

shocking

RabidRabbit
July 22nd, 2009, 11:50 AM
SDSU has the schedule and the home games to win the MVFC this year. The only key question is how fast can Berry's replacement get up to speed, as virtually all other positions return starting players for the majority. Jacks have one game vs Ga Southern, and then into conference games.

The SIU game, if November, could be anything from a -10 F windchill game, to a great 60's sunny day. The ISU (red) game last year was a great home field advantage, and the day to turn the running backs loose. So Berry proceeds to pick the Redbird D, and sets a MVFC single game record for # of TD passes in a game.

Jacks are up in 65-75% wins at Coughlin, and may be higher % since start of transition.

By end of Oct. Jacks will either still be in the hunt for the title, or will be down two games after UNI & NDSU come in on consecutive weekends. I believe UNI is the Hobo Day opponent. xoopsx

BearsCountry
July 22nd, 2009, 01:22 PM
UNI will be at the top and after that who knows, I think the Sycs will shock somebody this year and the rest are all pretty equal that anybody can beat anybody on any given day.

JacksFan06
July 22nd, 2009, 03:27 PM
My poll:

1. UNI
2. SDSU
3. SIU
4. YSU
5. NDSU
6. WIU
7. MSU
8. INSU
9. ILSU

Went out on some limbs, but that's the fun in picking preseason polls. I'm rooting for INSU this year and I think with ILSU having new coaches and switching to a spread will struggle their first year.

NDB
July 22nd, 2009, 04:00 PM
SDSU has the schedule and the home games to win the MVFC this year.

Based on nothing but my gut, I think SDSU either goes 6-2 or 2-6 or 5-3 or 3-5. They might also go 4-4. I don't think they'll go 8-0 or 0-8, but it's a possibility I wouldn't rule out.

ValleyChamp
July 22nd, 2009, 06:11 PM
Based on nothing but my gut, I think SDSU either goes 6-2 or 2-6 or 5-3 or 3-5. They might also go 4-4. I don't think they'll go 8-0 or 0-8, but it's a possibility I wouldn't rule out.

Well, you really narrowed down that prediction.xlolx

ISUMatt
July 22nd, 2009, 07:31 PM
Indiana State is awful, no way ANYONE finishes below them, Ill take on ANY BETTERS to that!!!

MSUBear42
July 22nd, 2009, 09:40 PM
shocking

The last two seasons we've added 1 conference victory, and we were a good team last year that played with a full squad maybe one game, and that's a big maybe. Actually, take that back, the only game we were close to being completely healthy was our first game and we were down our starting safety for that one. So yeah, we went all season without all our #1s. Plus, we should have had one more victory had we not choked it up against SIU at home.

mmiller_34
July 23rd, 2009, 08:58 AM
So yeah, we went all season without all our #1s.

All 22 starters were hurt all season??? excuses are like buttholes, everyone has them and they all smell....

UNIFanSince1983
July 23rd, 2009, 09:27 AM
Yeah arguing that you had hurt starters is a lame excuse. I mean Corey Lewis and Pat Grace were hurt for more than one game a piece and we still won the conference. Not to mention late in the season our two best wide receivers were kicked off the team. To me you are just saying you weren't a good team because you didn't have any depth. I love TA and think he is doing a pretty good job, but if you think MSU will be in the running for the championship or even out of the bottom half you are probably mistaken.

JacksFan06
July 23rd, 2009, 09:49 AM
The last two seasons we've added 1 conference victory, and we were a good team last year that played with a full squad maybe one game, and that's a big maybe. Actually, take that back, the only game we were close to being completely healthy was our first game and we were down our starting safety for that one. So yeah, we went all season without all our #1s. Plus, we should have had one more victory had we not choked it up against SIU at home.

I doubt any Missouri Valley team played with all their starters much of the year. I know SDSU was missing key starters for every week. RB's, OL, DL, & DB's were hit all year with injuries. I know NDSU & YSU also had a bunch of injuries.

mmiller_34
July 23rd, 2009, 11:15 AM
I doubt any Missouri Valley team played with all their starters much of the year. I know SDSU was missing key starters for every week. RB's, OL, DL, & DB's were hit all year with injuries. I know NDSU & YSU also had a bunch of injuries.

This is correct, last year our secondary was extremely beat up. hopefully we'll be better against the pass this year. But still, I'm really questioning the new replacements for Berry. The reason Berry was so good was that he knew the system so well. SDSU won't have a quarterback like that this year. I expect to see SDSU's offense this year alot more conservative on the ground, sort of like what 2007's offense was like, Run, Run, Play-action.

These are the different outcomes I can see for SDSU depending on the quarterback

Accurate, consistent, minimal mistake QB but doesnt have to be a game breaker.

8-3 / 7-4

Average, just as many mistakes as good plays made

6-5 / 5-6

Below average, can count on a mistake each drive

4-7 / 3-8

I dont think we'll win the conference either way. Losses to UNI, NDSU, and YSU? (they'll be better this year - and the game in Ohio - I like their chances) I'm a little pessimistic about this season, hopefully I'm proven wrong.

mango43
July 23rd, 2009, 12:35 PM
This is correct, last year our secondary was extremely beat up. hopefully we'll be better against the pass this year. But still, I'm really questioning the new replacements for Berry. The reason Berry was so good was that he knew the system so well. SDSU won't have a quarterback like that this year. I expect to see SDSU's offense this year alot more conservative on the ground, sort of like what 2007's offense was like, Run, Run, Play-action.

These are the different outcomes I can see for SDSU depending on the quarterback

Accurate, consistent, minimal mistake QB but doesnt have to be a game breaker.

8-3 / 7-4

Average, just as many mistakes as good plays made

6-5 / 5-6

Below average, can count on a mistake each drive

4-7 / 3-8

I dont think we'll win the conference either way. Losses to UNI, NDSU, and YSU? (they'll be better this year - and the game in Ohio - I like their chances) I'm a little pessimistic about this season, hopefully I'm proven wrong.

SDSU losing to NDSU at home?

I guess I don't see it because I'm not sold on NDSU yet

mmiller_34
July 23rd, 2009, 12:40 PM
SDSU losing to NDSU at home?

I guess I don't see it because I'm not sold on NDSU yet

I'd love to make it 3 years in a row.. but I'm not sure if it'll happen. NDSU SHOULD be better this year, Mertens will be a good quarterback with a year of experience under his belt, It will be tough.

Plus - - Pheasant opener, lots of people will be thinking about hunting rather than football that weekend, which is sad.

I-AA Fan
July 23rd, 2009, 12:46 PM

never was ...never will be. Start following other conferences than the CAA before you make comments.

I-AA Fan
July 23rd, 2009, 01:03 PM
My poll:

1. UNI
2. SDSU
3. SIU
4. YSU
5. NDSU
6. WIU
7. MSU
8. INSU
9. ILSU

Went out on some limbs, but that's the fun in picking preseason polls. I'm rooting for INSU this year and I think with ILSU having new coaches and switching to a spread will struggle their first year.

I would probably switch 1 & 3 ....7 & 9. No way SMS and ISU are better than ILS. You are thinking they will catch on with the option. If you are right, they will be quite a bit higher than 8. Also, Patterson has to have a heck of a summer to stay at #6 in my mind ...quite a bit to replace in Macomb. Good man though ...so if anyone can do it ...

Which teams are starting in the first week of August?

Don't forget you can have the conversation on the new MVFC board as well.

http://missourivalleyfootball.com

Sorry for the plug, but it has been a while since there was a football board for the conference.

OSBF
July 23rd, 2009, 01:05 PM

Sorry for the plug, but it has been a while since there was a football board for the conference.

Don't they talk about football on ValleyTalk?xlolx

I-AA Fan
July 23rd, 2009, 01:13 PM
Don't they talk about football on ValleyTalk?xlolx

No ...they are too busy discussing why their basketball is better than the Big East's :)

jmufan999
July 23rd, 2009, 02:07 PM
never was ...never will be. Start following other conferences than the CAA before you make comments.

such anger... was that really called for? a little immature if you ask me.

UNIFanSince1983
July 23rd, 2009, 02:31 PM
I would probably switch 1 & 3 ....7 & 9. No way SMS and ISU are better than ILS. You are thinking they will catch on with the option. If you are right, they will be quite a bit higher than 8. Also, Patterson has to have a heck of a summer to stay at #6 in my mind ...quite a bit to replace in Macomb. Good man though ...so if anyone can do it ...

Which teams are starting in the first week of August?

I am just curious. I mean nothing by this, but if you are switching 1&3 it means you have UNI finishing 3rd and SIU finishing 1st. Does this mean you think we will lose to SIU?

I am just curious because SIU is coming to the Dome this year for homecoming. I just do not foresee us losing this game strictly because of history. The home team has not lost in this series since SIU was National Champs in 1983. It will be another barn burner just like the last 2 and actually probably even more than that. I really think we will not be as big of a runaway as some people seem to think, but I am not sure of how much SIU has coming back. I think SDSU will be in the hunt, but figure they will end up in 3rd. The loss of a very good veteran QB is something that is hard to overcome. However, we seemed to do very well last year after losing Eric Sanders so it is very possible. I just can't wait for the season to start!!

I-AA Fan
July 23rd, 2009, 02:34 PM
such anger... was that really called for? a little immature if you ask me.

True, & I apologize. I was shooting for sarcasm, and went past it. Point is still valid though.

I-AA Fan
July 23rd, 2009, 03:50 PM
I am just curious. I mean nothing by this, but if you are switching 1&3 it means you have UNI finishing 3rd and SIU finishing 1st. Does this mean you think we will lose to SIU?

I am just curious because SIU is coming to the Dome this year for homecoming. I just do not foresee us losing this game strictly because of history. The home team has not lost in this series since SIU was National Champs in 1983. It will be another barn burner just like the last 2 and actually probably even more than that. I really think we will not be as big of a runaway as some people seem to think, but I am not sure of how much SIU has coming back. I think SDSU will be in the hunt, but figure they will end up in 3rd. The loss of a very good veteran QB is something that is hard to overcome. However, we seemed to do very well last year after losing Eric Sanders so it is very possible. I just can't wait for the season to start!!

I do not see you beating both xDSU's. Also, YSU is always tough ...much tougher against the Panthers in the dome than at the Ice Castle ...against UNI. You could be lucky you have your bye-week for that one ...you may well be beat up from SDSU, SIU, and NDSU back-to-back-to-back ...and that would be the time the birds finally take one from the cats. I also could see WIU in the win against UNI, just a sense of tradition there.

I see a minimum of 1 loss in those last 3 games. I also see at least one loss in the October 10-24 stretch. I can see no more than 2 losses for SIU. SDSU is going to run it all or lose it all ...based on what they have coming back & the most difficult schedule in the conference. I like SDSU with 1 loss (maybe none), with SIU or UNI above them being that loss. SDSU has to worry about an improved GSU & Minnesota team. They are the best team in the conference for facing Cal-Poly ...most similar in style.

Also, UNI's player losses are considerably more than those of SIU. I only see one serious Saluki loss. Yes, they had close wins last year against marginal teams ...but they were very young & I am going to chalk it up to lack of experience for unless they prove otherwise.

This is an important summer for so many teams but I do not want to make a book maybe we can start another thread on what questions the fans think need to be resolved in summer camp.

BearsCountry
July 23rd, 2009, 08:38 PM
No way SMS and ISU are better than ILS.

We have beaten Illinois State the last two years, plus they come to Springfield this year and have a new coach while we return pretty much our whole team. I think we are little better than Illinois State.

Chi Panther
July 23rd, 2009, 11:06 PM
I do not see you beating both xDSU's. Also, YSU is always tough ...much tougher against the Panthers in the dome than at the Ice Castle ...against UNI. You could be lucky you have your bye-week for that one ...you may well be beat up from SDSU, SIU, and NDSU back-to-back-to-back ...and that would be the time the birds finally take one from the cats. I also could see WIU in the win against UNI, just a sense of tradition there.

I see a minimum of 1 loss in those last 3 games. I also see at least one loss in the October 10-24 stretch. I can see no more than 2 losses for SIU. SDSU is going to run it all or lose it all ...based on what they have coming back & the most difficult schedule in the conference. I like SDSU with 1 loss (maybe none), with SIU or UNI above them being that loss. SDSU has to worry about an improved GSU & Minnesota team. They are the best team in the conference for facing Cal-Poly ...most similar in style.

Also, UNI's player losses are considerably more than those of SIU. I only see one serious Saluki loss. Yes, they had close wins last year against marginal teams ...but they were very young & I am going to chalk it up to lack of experience for unless they prove otherwise.

This is an important summer for so many teams but I do not want to make a book maybe we can start another thread on what questions the fans think need to be resolved in summer camp.

I disagree. UNI always replaces skill positions well. I think we replace Corey Lewis better than most think. We return 3 DL starters and 2 of the LBs. Yes we replace the whole secondary, but they are phenomenal athletes back there.
Quentin Scott won the MVC Long Jump over 24 feet
http://www.unipanthers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/scott_quentin00.html
Craig James is a stud in the making...
http://www.unipanthers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/james_craig00.html
I also like, Jaz Granderson, TreDarrius Canady and James Conley.

Offense is gonna be Elite....Defense is gonna be better than people expect.xpeacex

ValleyChamp
July 24th, 2009, 12:21 AM
WIU won't beat UNI. WIU is going to be significantly worse than they have been the last two seasons IMO. And those were seasons in which UNI crushed them. They play a style of football that we love to play against.