PDA

View Full Version : Grambling v La Tech, 2010 in Shreveport

TexasTerror
July 20th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Not sure if the game can be designated as a Grambling home game. Figured the WAC would have guidelines about playing at an FCS or having the FCS as a home game - though I know the WAC has played at FCS programs before...

Louisiana Tech and Grambling State are close to signing a contract to open the 2010 football season in Shreveport's Independence Stadium, The Times has learned.

The Labor Day contest would be played Sept. 4 and would be the inaugural meeting between the Lincoln Parish neighbors located just three miles apart. Apparently, the game would be designated as a home game for the Tigers. Tech already has six games scheduled for Ruston's Joe Aillet Stadium in 2010.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20090720/SPORTS02/907200308/La.-Tech--GSU-may-meet-here

Thread on LaTech board: http://latechbbb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65792

Hood
July 20th, 2009, 11:35 AM
I have no dog in the fight but I'd strongly consider making that trip if Nicholls was playing somewhere really far out of state.

Both sets of fans, in my experience, have been great. I'll show up with a hat for each team and just make friends all over :)

Aho_Old_Guy
July 21st, 2009, 09:48 AM
GSU needs to keep that date open for their trip to The Rock :)

TexasTerror
July 21st, 2009, 10:30 AM
There's two things I've seen out on the forums since this was announced...

1) That the game will officially be a 'neutral site' game and both stand to make a fair share of money for a 'Classic'. Since the field is neither of their official home field, it is not a home game anyway (ask TSU about their attendance submissions to the NCAA), though La Tech seems to be willing to let Grambling be the "home team" for on the field purposes, though La Tech will probably run the game operations (officials, etc).

2) La Tech is expecting a HUGE year in 2010 and with this game being the opener, thinks there will be a lot of interest in their program and could help drive interest, ticket sales from N. Louisiana.

3) That La Tech is interested in a home-and-home with La-Lafayette here in the next five years, which is a complete change of pace from anything we have seen outside of the current MBB home-and-home with ULM.

mikebigg
July 22nd, 2009, 10:24 AM
There's two things I've seen out on the forums since this was announced...

1) That the game will officially be a 'neutral site' game and both stand to make a fair share of money for a 'Classic'. Since the field is neither of their official home field, it is not a home game anyway (ask TSU about their attendance submissions to the NCAA), though La Tech seems to be willing to let Grambling be the "home team" for on the field purposes, though La Tech will probably run the game operations (officials, etc).
2) La Tech is expecting a HUGE year in 2010 and with this game being the opener, thinks there will be a lot of interest in their program and could help drive interest, ticket sales from N. Louisiana.

3) That La Tech is interested in a home-and-home with La-Lafayette here in the next five years, which is a complete change of pace from anything we have seen outside of the current MBB home-and-home with ULM.

Please explain what you mean and why?

TexasTerror
July 22nd, 2009, 10:32 AM

With it being a neutral site game, La Tech will more than likely commandeer the officiating crew (WAC or at least, an FBS crew). I do not believe we'll see a SWAC officiating crew at this game. It's not like some of the FCS leagues where they have a 'partnership' with a major conference, so you may see a mix of officials from the two leagues (i.e. ACC/SoCon, SLC/Big 12).

Game operations will probably fall in the hands of the Independence Bowl committee, since they are involved in putting this "northern Louisiana Classic" together and if I am not mistaken, La Tech tends to assist with those operations...

3rd Coast Tiger
July 22nd, 2009, 12:29 PM
With it being a neutral site game, La Tech will more than likely commandeer the officiating crew (WAC or at least, an FBS crew). I do not believe we'll see a SWAC officiating crew at this game. It's not like some of the FCS leagues where they have a 'partnership' with a major conference, so you may see a mix of officials from the two leagues (i.e. ACC/SoCon, SLC/Big 12).

Game operations will probably fall in the hands of the Independence Bowl committee, since they are involved in putting this "northern Louisiana Classic" together and if I am not mistaken, La Tech tends to assist with those operations...

Sound like an amendment to your original statement...

From...

though La Tech will probably run the game operations (officials, etc).

To...

Game operations will probably fall in the hands of the Independence Bowl committee

3rd Coast Tiger
July 22nd, 2009, 02:41 PM

xlolx I'll try it this way...

Can you give us share with us some examples of games past when similar situations have occurred that the FBS team has done what you're believing will happen here? Thanks.

TexasTerror
July 22nd, 2009, 02:49 PM
Can you give us share with us some examples of games past when similar situations have occurred that the FBS team has done what you're believing will happen here? Thanks.

I do not believe an FCS has played an FBS in a "Classic" format, at least none that I can think of as of late.

There have been FBS teams that do play in a "Classic" format - some of these "early season kickoff classics" at neutral sites. Atlanta has been a popular spot for these games, which tend to feature ACC vs SEC and from what I recall, the people who run the bowl(s) handle it.

mikebigg
July 22nd, 2009, 03:21 PM
I do not believe an FCS has played an FBS in a "Classic" format, at least none that I can think of as of late.

There have been FBS teams that do play in a "Classic" format - some of these "early season kickoff classics" at neutral sites. Atlanta has been a popular spot for these games, which tend to feature ACC vs SEC and from what I recall, the people who run the bowl(s) handle it.

I think a more accurate statement would be " I do not know" . Man, you're something else...xoopsx

McNeese75
July 22nd, 2009, 03:25 PM

Do you really think La Tech is going to let Grambling run this operations of this game? I have no idea but I would bet money Tech handles the details.

TexasTerror
July 22nd, 2009, 03:50 PM
Do you really think La Tech is going to let Grambling run this operations of this game? I have no idea but I would bet money Tech handles the details.

xthumbsupx

3rd Coast Tiger
July 22nd, 2009, 05:55 PM

Gotcha!

So say if McNeese played UL-Monroe at a neutral site, it would be a given that UL-Monroe would run operations. xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
July 22nd, 2009, 07:19 PM
So say if McNeese played UL-Monroe at a neutral site, it would be a given that UL-Monroe would run operations. xthumbsupx

Of course. ULM has a few more "hands on deck" than McNeese (not many - but they have a few). Wonder if ULM "hosts" when they play Arkansas in Little Rock as their "home game".

GAD
July 22nd, 2009, 07:57 PM

Southern played Tulane in the Big Easy Classic two years in a row, one year a SWAC officiating crew was used, SU also stood on the home side of the Superdome and wore dark jerseys while Tulane wore white.
also I could be wrong but I think FAMU played Troy U in a classic (perhaps Big Dawg can confirm)

McNeese75
July 22nd, 2009, 08:51 PM
Gotcha!

Got what?? Milk? xlolx

I would say you are probably correct and I think ULM would control the event. xnodx

crossfire07
July 23rd, 2009, 03:13 AM
Gotcha!

we won't ever have to worry about that problem. they have to want to play first and they have not had that desire since they got beat in 2002. even if they had the desire they don't have the cash.

TexasTerror
July 23rd, 2009, 07:29 AM
UL-Monroe will not play any of the SLC schools anytime soon...

They got their tails handed to them by McNeese, Northwestern State and even Sam Houston State in the early years of the Sun Belt. As did Louisiana-Lafayette. The McNeese win in 2007 reaffirmed their position to stay clear!

mikebigg
July 23rd, 2009, 08:58 AM

Maybe that's how you guys would allow it to be...however, our AD will look to have a shared involvement. Mr. Dawson is no novice and has the people skills and business savvy to ensure that Grambling is a player (and not just a participant) in this entire matter.

Check out thei italicized portion from the article:

Shreveport Mayor Cedric Glover, who apparently has sought a Grambling game in Shreveport for quite some time, held a meeting Friday attended by SPAR, Independence Bowl, Shreveport Regional Sports Authority and Shreveport-Bossier City Convention and Tourism officials.

SPAR Director Shelley Ragle was named as the point of contact for the mayor's office as well as for Tech and GSU officials for the still unofficial game. Roles and responsibilities associated with managing the game were divvied out to each of the organizations at the meeting.

3rd Coast Tiger
July 23rd, 2009, 09:45 AM
UL-Monroe will not play any of the SLC schools anytime soon...

They got their tails handed to them by McNeese, Northwestern State and even Sam Houston State in the early years of the Sun Belt. As did Louisiana-Lafayette. The McNeese win in 2007 reaffirmed their position to stay clear!

Soooooooo..........

Alabama will not play any Sun Belt schools anytime soon since Monroe beat them right? xconfusedx

McNeese75
July 23rd, 2009, 10:23 AM
Maybe that's how you guys would allow it to be...however, our AD will look to have a shared involvement. Mr. Dawson is no novice and has the people skills and business savvy to ensure that Grambling is a player (and not just a participant) in this entire matter.

Check out thei italicized portion from the article:

Shreveport Mayor Cedric Glover, who apparently has sought a Grambling game in Shreveport for quite some time, held a meeting Friday attended by SPAR, Independence Bowl, Shreveport Regional Sports Authority and Shreveport-Bossier City Convention and Tourism officials.

SPAR Director Shelley Ragle was named as the point of contact for the mayor's office as well as for Tech and GSU officials for the still unofficial game. Roles and responsibilities associated with managing the game were divvied out to each of the organizations at the meeting.

I don't see any reference to La Tech here? If the Tigers are playing another FCS school or possibly some other lower level (out of state) FBS school I think Grambling would possibly handle most of it. I just do not believe Tech is going to give Grambling the upper or equal hand in handling the event (IMO of course).

TexasTerror
July 23rd, 2009, 11:29 AM
Alabama will not play any Sun Belt schools anytime soon since Monroe beat them right? xconfusedx

Stop comparing apples to oranges...FBS vs FBS, FCS vs FCS. Alabama knows they need to get Sun Belt schools, because they are cheaper to "buy" than any other FBS conference, namely due to minimal travel costs...

ULM has a history of losing to FCS schools from the SLC. They have instead decided go to the SWAC route to protect their 'W's as they would have a tough time breaking .500 against the SLC since 2000 if they played another few...

mikebigg
July 23rd, 2009, 11:29 AM
I don't see any reference to La Tech here? If the Tigers are playing another FCS school or possibly some other lower level (out of state) FBS school I think Grambling would possibly handle most of it. I just do not believe Tech is going to give Grambling the upper or equal hand in handling the event (IMO of course).

La. Tech, GSU may meet here
By Jimmy Watson • [email protected] • July 20, 2009

Louisiana Tech and Grambling State are close to signing a contract to open the 2010 football season in Shreveport's Independence Stadium, The Times has learned.

The Labor Day contest would be played Sept. 4 and would be the inaugural meeting between the Lincoln Parish neighbors located just three miles apart. Apparently, the game would be designated as a home game for the Tigers. Tech already has six games scheduled for Ruston's Joe Aillet Stadium in 2010.

Here's mention of Tech...I thought you had read the entire article and knew the previous "excerpt" was from the Grambling - Tech game story.

Not that this will change your belief about how it would be handled...

TexasTerror
July 23rd, 2009, 11:34 AM
Mike, you can post articles til you turn blue, but people - whether it media, others in college athletics, etc - will tell you that the SWAC reputation in many regards is relatively poor. I know many who have bit their tongue in what they have said, but I'll tell you that I highly respect the few schools and individuals who go against that grain, but it is what it is in the minds of others...

crossfire07
July 23rd, 2009, 02:15 PM
Soooooooo..........

you just wait and watch what happens to North Texas when the TIDE ROLLS 9/19/09. besides, you are presenting a whole different scenario. ULM is not paying Alabama to play a game. ULM was paying FCS schools to come in and was getting beat by them.they won't have that problem with Grambling.

McNeese75
July 23rd, 2009, 02:18 PM
La. Tech, GSU may meet here
By Jimmy Watson • [email protected] • July 20, 2009

Here's mention of Tech...I thought you had read the entire article and knew the previous "excerpt" was from the Grambling - Tech game story.

Not that this will change your belief about how it would be handled...

Not true, now I have to agree you may be correct.

mikebigg
July 23rd, 2009, 03:20 PM
Mike, you can post articles til you turn blue, but people - whether it media, others in college athletics, etc - will tell you that the SWAC reputation in many regards is relatively poor. I know many who have bit their tongue in what they have said, but I'll tell you that I highly respect the few schools and individuals who go against that grain, but it is what it is in the minds of others...

That's your opinion which has it's own basis of reason...but the SWAC is not part of these negotiations. These negotiations are between the Athletic Administration of Grambling, Louisiana Tech, The City of Shreveport and others. And I'm never blue in the face. McNeese 75 stated that he didn't see any reference of LaTech...I provided him that proof.

Other than that... xrotatehx like you want.

mikebigg
July 23rd, 2009, 03:24 PM
Not true, now I have to agree you may be correct.

No problem... hoping this game draws well and perhaps McNeese would agree to such a game (but I know you guys prefer an on-campus game).

TexasTerror
July 23rd, 2009, 03:41 PM
That's your opinion which has it's own basis of reason...but the SWAC is not part of these negotiations. These negotiations are between the Athletic Administration of Grambling, Louisiana Tech, The City of Shreveport and others.

The reputation of the SWAC is all encompassing and that includes the "Athletic Administration of Grambling". Those who have risen above the reputation are the ones who have proven themselves and are well known. xreadx

mikebigg
July 23rd, 2009, 04:49 PM
The reputation of the SWAC is all encompassing and that includes the "Athletic Administration of Grambling". Those who have risen above the reputation are the ones who have proven themselves and are well known. xreadx

Proven themselves to whom and for what? I never heard anyone other than you criticize how our games are handled and if so it was an isolated incident similar to what you have in the Southland Conference.

But since you seem so sure... please provide documented proof.

TexasTerror
July 23rd, 2009, 05:15 PM
From your angle, if things are gravy, all is well in the world.

As fans, all that matter is that you enjoy what you get and you can call it a day. That's all that matters and that's all that needs to be said...

McNeese75
July 23rd, 2009, 10:09 PM
No problem... hoping this game draws well and perhaps McNeese would agree to such a game (but I know you guys prefer an on-campus game).

You never know, it could happen. xnodx

mikebigg
July 24th, 2009, 09:23 AM
From your angle, if things are gravy, all is well in the world.

As fans, all that matter is that you enjoy what you get and you can call it a day. That's all that matters and that's all that needs to be said...

In other words, you have only your opinion and perception but not facts to base it on. So typical of you...

mikebigg
July 24th, 2009, 09:30 AM
You never know, it could happen. xnodx

I think our new AD is open to playing more local FCS schools and unlike others, I think he's getting input from the coaches as opposed to letting the coaches dictate the opponents. Mr. Dawson has stated that he wants to increase our home game attendance numbers and that using regional opponents is a good way of accomplishing that goal.

I think traditionally, our scheduling of other La and/or regional opponents has been too sporadic and consequently, not "in-state" rivalries were established. With the winning traditions of Grambling and McNeese these games should have been occurring at least since the 80's and by now a serious rivalry would have been developed. Hope we can at least get to the point of scheduling games against you guys and others with more frequency.

TexasTerror
July 24th, 2009, 10:57 AM
In other words, you have only your opinion and perception but not facts to base it on. So typical of you...

I have plenty of facts, experiences and information from others to base it off on.

Unfortunately for you, I have no reason to bring it up here, because all that matters is that you as a fan are happy with how things are done. Fans like yourself are typically clueless to the operations and as long as it looks like "gravy" from your vantage point, that is all that matters...

Those who need to know, know. Those who do not, don't.

TexasTerror
July 30th, 2009, 06:00 PM
A few La Tech fans are expressing doubts on whether or not this will happen because there has not been any news on the matter.

One fan said, "We better be looking at plan B. I've had serious doubts about this thing from the get go, GSU is notorious for not having signed contracts b/w competing schools. I don't think DD's gonna let them string us along for too long."

Sometimes, these games take time to iron out because I am sure everyone wants their $$$ at the end of the day. Any confirmations from any sides?

3rd Coast Tiger
July 30th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by 3rd Coast Tiger
Alabama will not play any Sun Belt schools anytime soon since Monroe beat them right?

What happened to this quote?