K Jeff Turner SE Louisiana
P Patrick Dolan Nicholls State
RS Karrington Bush Texas State
Eddie Carmona Central Arkansas
Jonathan Beard Central Arkansas
TJ Adams Central Arkansas

BEAR
July 20th, 2009, 10:56 AM
OOPS. Didn't realize this was covered in the Phil Steele magazine thread. Sorry. Admins move this to that thread! Thanks! :o

TexasTerror
July 20th, 2009, 09:28 PM
If my numbers add up, look at who dominates the first-team. The reigning top team from the SLC last year and the bottom team in the league from a year ago! xlolx

1st Team - incl. off/def/ST
7 UCA
5 SFA
4 McNeese
2 TXST
2 SHSU
2 SLU
1 Nich
1 NWST

HPCAT
July 21st, 2009, 01:04 PM
If my numbers add up, look at who dominates the first-team. The reigning top team from the SLC last year and the bottom team in the league from a year ago! xlolx
1st Team - incl. off/def/ST
7 UCA
5 SFA
4 McNeese
2 TXST
2 SHSU
2 SLU
1 Nich
1 NWST

Your spin and drivel can indeed be amusing at times, as I seem to recall that SHST was at the bottom of the SLC last year with SFA...............LMAO

When a returning top 5 FCS passing efficiency leader can not make even preseason 2nd team SLC, my BS flag goes off. I need a neat emoticon for that.......xlolx

Actually, most water or ball boys for any SLC team, can put together a more accurate evaluation IMHO, as they have at least seen most of the players, and don't judge their picks off phone calls and BS sessions.

BEAR
July 21st, 2009, 01:46 PM
Well, since we're all "fans" of the SLC, let's make up our own list of who should be in those spots. I can vouch for a few UCA players and some from the other teams, but I'll stick to the UCA players I know about that I think should be on that list. I think 5 first team defense guys is a little much for UCA, so I'll start with a blank form and just fill in the players I think should be on there using the first post of this thread. Add the names you think should be on that list and let's see if we all think it's close. Knicky should be on that list IMO, but I want a SFA fan to fill out that name and the rest of SFA's best. I'm just curious that's all. xnodx Also, I don't have a problem with taking names off a list...most fans see players from their school as better than the other team's players...xlolx

First team Offense:

QB
RB
RB
WR
WR Willie Landers Central Arkansas
C
OL Lane Freiwald Central Arkansas
OL
OL
OL

First team Defense:

DL Larry Hart Central Arkansas
DL Taylor Scott Central Arkansas
DL
DL
LB
LB
LB
DB Pieri Feazell Central Arkansas
DB
DB
DB

TexasTerror
July 21st, 2009, 01:57 PM
Your spin and drivel can indeed be amusing at times, as I seem to recall that SHST was at the bottom of the SLC last year with SFA...............LMAO

SHSU beat SFA...so, they were truly the team at the bottom, if we were tied last year. Too lazy to check the standings. And yes, UCA was at the top of the standings. I did not call them champions, did I?

When a returning top 5 FCS passing efficiency leader can not make even preseason 2nd team SLC, my BS flag goes off. I need a neat emoticon for that.......xlolx

I would put Fourroux over George. Moses, I would not at this point. Until his TDs to INT numbers go down, it's hard to imagine he would be. George was inconsistent at times, but Moses is going to be up the creek without Edison likely...

Actually, most water or ball boys for any SLC team, can put together a more accurate evaluation IMHO, as they have at least seen most of the players, and don't judge their picks off phone calls and BS sessions.

Phil Steele is worshiped by a few on this board and even KatFans.com. He does not follow the SLC on a week-in, week-out basis. Where's Newbill from SLU?!?!?

crossfire07
July 21st, 2009, 03:39 PM

Bradley was number 1 in passing efficiency in the SLC and #6 in the country but he was 1300 yards below the SLC's leader in total passing yards. Phil has been getting praise for mentioning FCS schools in his magazine which he is trying to make money off of so OF COURSE he throws it in there but try going to his website looking for FCS links and info and it is pretty obvious that he is not into FCS much. He is full blown FBS.

BEAR
July 21st, 2009, 05:42 PM
Bradley was number 1 in passing efficiency in the SLC and #6 in the country but he was 1300 yards below the SLC's leader in total passing yards. Phil has been getting praise for mentioning FCS schools in his magazine which he is trying to make money off of so OF COURSE he throws it in there but try going to his website looking for FCS links and info and it is pretty obvious that he is not into FCS much. He is full blown FBS.

xeyebrowx He was? Not according to the SLC website. Or am I reading your post wrong?

PASS EFFICIENCY Team Cl G Att Cmp Int Pct. Yds TD Eff.

-------------------------------------------------------------

1. Brown,Nathan... UCA SR 12 375 254 4 67.7 3206 31 164.7

2. George,B....... TXST JR 12 301 181 6 60.1 2660 26 158.9

3. Bunch, Chris... NICH SR 9 60 25 1 41.7 546 6 147.8

4. Fourroux,D..... MCN JR 11 276 169 5 61.2 2205 18 146.2

5. Babin, Brian... SLU JR 11 412 257 7 62.4 2806 25 136.2

6. Bomar, Rhett... SHSU SR 10 436 245 13 56.2 3355 27 135.3

7. Moses, Jeremy.. SFA SO 12 598 352 20 58.9 4026 41 131.4

8. Toon,C......... TXST SR 12 126 73 6 57.9 839 8 125.3

9. Hundley, John.. NWLA JR 9 205 112 3 54.6 1307 8 118.1

10.Branch, Drew... NWLA SR 10 115 64 5 55.7 806 3 114.4

lionsrking2
July 22nd, 2009, 12:38 AM
He does not follow the SLC on a week-in, week-out basis. Where's Newbill from SLU?!?!?

Good question...Newbill has been as productive as any LB in the SLC the last two years and has gotten virtually no recognition from the league. In high school, he was was the Defensive Player of the Year in northeast Louisiana (Monroe News Star) - twice - and was a two-star recruit ...he stepped right in and started as a true freshman and has been a consistent playmaker ever since...IMO, he should have been 1st team last year entering this season as a candidate for DPOY...and he didn't even register as Honorable Mention despite missing one game and still leading all SLC LBs in solo tackles.

http://lionsports.net/images/2009/6/11/newbill_mark_fb2009_web.jpg

11 Mark Newbill

Position: Linebacker
Height: 5-11
Weight: 205
40-yd:4.58
Class: Junior
Hometown: Monroe, La.
Previous School: Neville HS

Career Honors:
- 2008 All-Louisiana (Second Team)
- 2008 Southland Conference Defensive Player of the Week (Sept. 15)
- 2007 All-Southland Conference (Honorable Mention)

2008: All-Louisiana second team selection after finishing second on the team with 100 tackles (64 solo) … Ranked fourth in the Southland Conference in total tackles, second in tackles per game (9.1), 10th in tackles for loss (10) and seventh in fumble recovered (two) … Also forced two fumbles, broke up two passes and recorded two sacks … Started all but one of the 11 games he appeared in … Credited with double-digit tackles in five different contests … In the season-opening victory over Alcorn State, made 13 tackles, including two for loss and a sack … Also had 13 stops and two for loss in the Lions’ 31-30 win over South Dakota, earning Southland Conference Defensive Player of the Week honors for his efforts … Posted 12 tackles and a fumble recovery in a 26-21 triumph versus Northwestern State … Also posted 12 tackles at Central Arkansas … Credited with 10 tackles and a pass breakup in the team’s overtime win at Sam Houston State … Made nine tackles apiece versus McNeese State and Texas State … Finished with eight tackles, three for loss, one sack and two forced fumbles at Louisiana Tech … Had six solo tackles and a fumble recovery at Mississippi State.

2007: Earned honorable mention All-Southland Conference recognition after leading the Lions with 83 tackles (57 solo) as a true freshman … Season tackle total was the seventh-highest single-season total for a Lion since the program’s return in 2003 … Also was second on the team and eighth in the Southland Conference with eight tackles for loss … Also recorded three sacks and forced a fumble … Best game of the season came in 17-13 season-ending victory over Nicholls State … Credited with 18 tackles – the most all season by a Lion defender – and forced a fumble versus the Colonels … Recorded 11 tackles and a sack versus Sam Houston State … Had eight tackles, including two for loss at McNeese State … Had two tackles for loss and a sack at Texas State … Also had eight tackles versus Kentucky Wesleyan … Had seven tackles and a tackle for loss against both Northwestern State and Central Arkansas … Made six stops at Kansas and at Tulane … Credited with a sack versus Stephen F. Austin.

High School: Two-time first-team All-State selection at Neville HS … also earned multiple all-district and all-Northwest selections … was district Most Valuable Player as both a junior and senior … as a senior earned Toby Caston Award for top defensive player by the Monroe News Star along with KNOC and Northeast Louisiana Defensive Player of the Year honors … two-star Rivals.con ranking and ranked 42nd on PelicanPreps.com pre spring top 50 list for state prospects … carries 3.5 grade point average … concluded his senior year with 109 stops, two interceptions and five sacks and also pitched in as a short-yardage runner on offense.

Personal: Born in Monroe … Son of Mark Howell and Neysa Newbill … Has two siblings … Majoring in psychology.

Dallas Demon
July 22nd, 2009, 02:02 AM
SHSU beat SFA...so, they were truly the team at the bottom, if we were tied last year.

Interesting. So you must agree that Northwestern was truly the team at the top in 2004 since the Demons and SHSU were both tied yet Northwestern beat Sam Houston. xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
July 22nd, 2009, 07:56 AM
Interesting. So you must agree that Northwestern was truly the team at the top in 2004 since the Demons and SHSU were both tied yet Northwestern beat Sam Houston. xthumbsupx

I do agree with that, when there's a clear cut tie - between two teams. When it gets to three teams or more, than it's a hairy situation!

Good question...Newbill has been as productive as any LB in the SLC the last two years and has gotten virtually no recognition from the league. In high school, he was was the Defensive Player of the Year in northeast Louisiana (Monroe News Star) - twice - and was a two-star recruit ...he stepped right in and started as a true freshman and has been a consistent playmaker ever since...IMO, he should have been 1st team last year entering this season as a candidate for DPOY...and he didn't even register as Honorable Mention despite missing one game and still leading all SLC LBs in solo tackles.

I do not understand it myself. Newbill is one of the top players in the SLC on the defensive side of the ball and his continued lack of recognition by most of the national and regional media is ridiculous. The only people who give him credit is College Sporting News, it seems...

crossfire07
July 22nd, 2009, 05:09 PM
UCABEAR, I forgot that the NCAA does not include UCA in the stats yet which I don't think is right either. Nathan was the most efficient QB last year with Bradley being 2nd. my apologies. I won't miss Nathan. LOL

BEAR
July 22nd, 2009, 10:58 PM
xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx...........I will.........xbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingx