PDA

View Full Version : UTC vs Memphis, 2006-2010

TexasTerror
December 6th, 2005, 12:28 PM
What's the thought of Mocs fans about playing Memphis for five years? Is that going over well with Mocs fans? It seems like "same old, same old" to me. I wouldn't want to play the same non conference, especially I-A opponent each year for five years...

What's the deal with that? Thoughts from UTC?

DinoDex200
December 6th, 2005, 01:31 PM
What's the thought of Mocs fans about playing Memphis for five years? Is that going over well with Mocs fans? It seems like "same old, same old" to me. I wouldn't want to play the same non conference, especially I-A opponent each year for five years...

You seem to be under the notion that Moc Fans post on here...or there is even such a thing to begin with. :xmas:

GGASU
December 6th, 2005, 01:36 PM

I used to love ASU playing Wake Forest every year. They were our biggest rival even though we always played "away". I miss that game a lot more than I miss us playing Marshall.

Hopefully UTC's football team can continue to improve and give Memphis a fight every year.

MOC345
December 6th, 2005, 02:42 PM
I am not happy about it but we can not turn down money. I would like to rotate the I-A teams we play but I guess they are afraid of us. :xmas:

chattanoogamocs
December 7th, 2005, 02:44 AM
You seem to be under the notion that Moc Fans post on here...or there is even such a thing to begin with.

I love it, a newbie with a grand total of 62 posts...hmm...signed up in November, eh...just jump on the ole bandwagon there Dino? :smiley_wi xazzx

Sorry Tex, I got sidetracked there for a minute...

The coach at Memphis used to be the coach at UC (Tommy West)
The defensive coordinator was a former UC player and assistant coach...and is still a beloved figure in Mocland (Joe Lee Dunn)
...the payout is decent
...Memphis is at least "winnable" maybe someday (as in not a major BCS team)
...the travel is easy and the expense is low
...it's in-state (and 15% of our student population is from Memphis)
...it draws a good contingent of fans from Chattanooga because most of them stay over the border and go gambling in Tunica
(I think last year they had two charter planes that flew to Tunica, they spent two nights there and had private buses shuttle them up to Memphis for the game)

So, if we are going to have to sell out the program for a IA payday, it is nice to know we got one booked consistently long term (btw...Mocs also play Arkansas in 2007).

But...the games are not set for sure yet, they are tentative...as a matter of fact, the 2006 game contracts have not even been signed yet...so the discussion could be moot.

atlGAmocs
December 7th, 2005, 07:57 AM
You seem to be under the notion that Moc Fans post on here...or there is even such a thing to begin with. :xmas:

Here is a Moc fan that made the trip from Atlanta to Boone to watch my team give Appy everything they had for 60 minutes.

I am not thrilled with scheduling Memphis for five straight years, but what are you going to do? We need the cash. I am upset about only having four home games next year.

Apps32
December 7th, 2005, 09:33 AM
I used to love ASU playing Wake Forest every year. They were our biggest rival even though we always played "away". I miss that game a lot more than I miss us playing Marshall.

Hopefully UTC's football team can continue to improve and give Memphis a fight every year.

I loved that rivalry. It's a little different than UT-C/Memphis, though. WFU was a BCS conference school that we could play with year in and year out. I think we beat them like 3 of the last 4 or something (They won one and dropped the series, pu$$ies) Also, they were about an hour down the mountain, vs Chattanooga and Graceland being on opposite ends of the state.

Apps32
December 7th, 2005, 09:34 AM
I am upset about only having four home games next year.

Yeah, we were in that boat this year thanks to NW St. Just do like we did and turn it into a 7-game schedule!

chattanoogamocs
December 7th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Also, they were about an hour down the mountain, vs Chattanooga and Graceland being on opposite ends of the state.

Sadly though...Memphis (about 5.5 hours) is still closer than most SoCon football schools (GSU, Citadel, Elon, ASU)

...it is always a long drive if you are a Moc fan :)

chattanoogamocs
December 7th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Yeah, we were in that boat this year thanks to NW St. Just do like we did and turn it into a 7-game schedule!

LOL...great one! I never thought of it that way (making a 4 home games into 7)

I did joke on Mocfans the other day..."hey, look what App did with only 4 home games this year...they are one game away from an NC game!"

Actually...if we could ever pull the same trick...we'd get 8 home games....aahhh :)

89Hen
December 7th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Just do like we did and turn it into a 7-game schedule!
Excellent post and point, took me a couple times to get it though. :o

DinoDex200
December 7th, 2005, 03:43 PM
I love it, a newbie with a grand total of 62 posts...hmm...signed up in November, eh...just jump on the ole bandwagon there Dino? :smiley_wi xazzx

Sorry that my telepathic powers didn't allow me to discover this board sooner!

Trust me, I've wasted too much of my young life, and sacrificed too many GPA points to be called a bandwagon jumper!! ;)

Apps32
December 7th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Actually...if we could ever pull the same trick...we'd get 8 home games....aahhh :)

ha, very good point. :)