PDA

View Full Version : Sports Network Big Sky Preview

smallcollegefbfan
July 16th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Around FCS: Can Weber State stop Montana's streak?
By David Coulson, FCS Executive Director

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - It is never unwise to select Montana as the title favorite when you are predicting the order of finish in the Big Sky Conference.

The Grizzlies came within a play or two of seeing their 10-year run of winning or sharing the Big Sky championship come to an end last fall, but eventually came up with a share of title number eleven.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4242974

CopperCat
July 16th, 2009, 09:32 PM
EWU at third? No frickin' way. They do have some key personnel coming back this year, but with all the stuff off the field that is going on I would think its just a bit too much for them to overcome. Not to mention their suspension. The past drag your team down for at least another season, and believe me as an MSU fan I should know a little about that.

GOKATS
July 16th, 2009, 10:54 PM
It's been out for a day or two and I don't have a real problem with Coulson's picks. Tough not to go with the griz but I'd put WSU in the drivers seat. The griz are banking a lot on Roper which may or may not pan out and their 'O' line is still in question. EWU is tough to figure out with the predicament they're in suspension wise, but they always play tough. MSU could do it all if Kempt or Iddins steps up in the QB slot and connects with the WR's, Crawford is a huge loss at RB but there's plenty of talent there and more than one can be an impact player. After that it's anyones guess, but every game in the BSC will be a challenge.

Screamin_Eagle174
July 17th, 2009, 12:51 AM
EWU at third? No frickin' way. They do have some key personnel coming back this year, but with all the stuff off the field that is going on I would think its just a bit too much for them to overcome. Not to mention their suspension. The past drag your team down for at least another season, and believe me as an MSU fan I should know a little about that.

You think that post season ban isn't going to make our players push harder than before to prove a point to the NCAA? We have a ton of talent coming back on a team that should've beaten Colorado. Coulson might have picked us to land 3rd in conference, but if recent history indicates anything, EWU will finish ahead of the bobkitties and hand them a 6th straight loss from the Eagles.

No need to cry over sour milk. xpeacex

JALMOND
July 17th, 2009, 01:28 AM
Where I am so far (still a work in progress, tho. I still have a month left).

1. Montana
2. Weber State
3. Montana State
4. Eastern Washington
5. Northern Arizona
6. Sacramento State
7. Northern Colorado
8. Portland State
9. Idaho State

So far...

Basically, I have Montana and Weber pretty even. The only reason to place the Griz at #1 and the Wildcats at #2 is their game in Missoula. Right now, I cannot see the Wildcats winning that game.

Out of the next three, Montana State is the one with the least amount of questions. EWU with the ban and NAU with personnel have me favoring the Bobcats over both the Eagles and Jacks.

Sacramento State is a team that I believe can surprise. The days are long past where a game against the Hornets could be an easy win. Even without Hillard, they have the personnel to hang with anyone in the conference this year.

Northern Colorado won't be an easy win this year. I am thinking they are still at least a year away (maybe more realistic two years) from making a lot of noise in the conference.

Too many questions for Portland State who still have not found a replacement for the OC Mouse Davis. It is not clear if the Vikings will continue with the run and shoot, or if the new OC will bring in a more conventional offense. Too many questions, not enough time to sort them out, and playing both Oregon State and Montana on the road within the first three games could place them far behind in the conference, where Idaho State is improved. Could the Vikings find themselves even below the Bengals?

Still a work in progress. It is taking longer than I've anticipated. I'll have the first set of rankings in a little over a month.

Canyoncat
July 17th, 2009, 09:52 AM
You think that post season ban isn't going to make our players push harder than before to prove a point to the NCAA? We have a ton of talent coming back on a team that should've beaten Colorado. Coulson might have picked us to land 3rd in conference, but if recent history indicates anything, EWU will finish ahead of the bobkitties and hand them a 6th straight loss from the Eagles.

Nope, this year we end the Eagles streak against us. I am really liking the look of our defense this year and I think Kempt is going to have a break out year. Ash has given our QB's lots of new weapons this year. I also think that EWU is going to us the ban as motivation to show up the NCAA. Its going to be a great game, and I am going to do my best to get over to Cheney for it.

catbob
July 17th, 2009, 11:13 AM
No offense to EWU, but it is hard to tell how the season will go. The NCAA isn't going to care if a team they banned from the postseason goes 11-0. They only care that you broke the rules and are a FCS team (they show no mercy to our division). There is enough talent at EWU to win the conference, but you are being fairly naive if you think the turmoil will have no effect on the team.

And no reason to get pissy there Screamin_Eagle. I hate to break it to you, but Bobcat fans aren't the only fans who think this way. I do hope to end that streak, longest streak against us by a conference foe (honestly I didn't even know about it though).

ncbears
July 17th, 2009, 01:19 PM
I can see EW finishing 3rd.

Screamin_Eagle174
July 17th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Also, there's still a possibility that if our record warrants it, we'll be playing in late November if our appeal gets the ban overturned. We probably won't know until Oct. or Nov. anyway. Since neither the players or coaches know one way or another, I'd assume that Baldwin would tell the players to play like there's no ban whatsoever.

CopperCat
July 17th, 2009, 04:14 PM

If memory serves me correctly, MSU DID beat Colorado, and we had less firepower than EWU did that year.

As far as Coulson goes, it is well known that he has a unfounded distaste for MSU because of an isolated incident in the playoffs in 2006. Of course he is going to take them down a peg. He has an inability to be objective about his job, which is why I don't read or believe anything the guys says.

And as for the Cats losing the EWoser again, don't count on it. I dare you to put 24+ points up on that defense. I won't guarantee anything because that is just dumb, but you seem to be on a high horse about a team that has alot to figure out before they can do any damage in conference. Pretty hard to get a postseason ban overturned when you are sitting on the eve of the 2009 season, wouldn't count on that changing at all.

bpcats
July 18th, 2009, 01:48 AM
EWU is a very interesting team going into the season. Offensively when they get it rolling they are very hard to stop. They do a great job of mixing up the run and pass. I expect EWU to embrace their role as spoiler for the rest of the league. They played Texas Tech closer than Kansas State, Oklahoma State, and Kansas as far a scores go.

As far as the matchup with MSU, I expect a great game. Last year EWU won 34-17. MSU turned the ball over 4 times setting the Eagles up at MSU's 1, 26, 24 and had one interception returned for a touchdown. In addition MSU also missed FG early in the game. MSU's defense proved that it can hold EWU's offense in check when they weren't backed up to their own goal line starting off. The big question mark for the game is whether the Cats can mount an effective passing game to compliment their running attack. If they do MSU wins 24-17.

As far the rest of the conference:

1. Griz - Unless their qb play is just terrible they will walk away with the conference
2. Weber - Could challenge the Griz but need to be consistent the whole year
3. MSU - The only thing holding them back is a consistent passing attack which they will take steps in improving this year. Will be on the bubble for a playoff spot.
4. EWU - Too much talent on this team to finish any lower
5. UNC - Those close games they lost last year, they start winning. Early game against MSU will set the tempo for the rest of the year.
6. NAU - Another late season fade may be in the cards
7. Sac State - If they keep the game in the teens they will win a lot. They can't afford to get into a shootout

8. PSU - Early injuries may set this team back before they can get the ball rolling
9. Idaho State - Not this year.

Screamin_Eagle174
July 18th, 2009, 04:47 AM
If memory serves me correctly, MSU DID beat Colorado, and we had less firepower than EWU did that year.

As far as Coulson goes, it is well known that he has a unfounded distaste for MSU because of an isolated incident in the playoffs in 2006. Of course he is going to take them down a peg. He has an inability to be objective about his job, which is why I don't read or believe anything the guys says.

And as for the Cats losing the EWoser again, don't count on it. I dare you to put 24+ points up on that defense. I won't guarantee anything because that is just dumb, but you seem to be on a high horse about a team that has alot to figure out before they can do any damage in conference. Pretty hard to get a postseason ban overturned when you are sitting on the eve of the 2009 season, wouldn't count on that changing at all.

If memory serves me correctly, CU went 2-10 that year (2006). If memory serves me correctly a second time, MSU made it to the quarterfinals of the playoffs that year. And lastly, if (and that's a big IF) memory serves me correctly, EWU went 3-8 that year, but STILL managed to beat the bobkitties, in Bozeman. That team was almost entirely freshmen (Nichols, Boyce and Brown included) with very little game experience. I highly doubt we had more firepower. We just caught the kittens taking a cat nap in their litter box.

You make unsubstantiated, libelous accusations regarding a sports writer's objectivity on what basis? Even if he did have a grudge for something that happened in the 2006 playoffs, why would he "take them down a peg" in the PRESEASON 3 YEARS later?! Can anyone find me Coulson's Big Sky or FCS Top 25 preseason rankings for 2007 (MSU finished ranked 10th in FCS) so we could see if he "took them down a peg" because he's such a hateful, biased man?

Of course you won't guarantee EWU doesn't put up 24+ on the kitties because you know there's a good chance it might happen, and although your mouth is large, your stomach for eating crow is small. I'll give you 2-1 that EWU DOES put up 24+ on MSU this year. Put your money where your mouth is. xblahblahxxblahblahxxblahblahxxblahblahx

Lastly, the 2009 season being less than 2 months away means nothing regarding EWU's post-season ban. The University has appealed the NCAA's post-season sanction, and therefore must either uphold or reverse the decision sometime before the playoffs (around the 3rd week in November), not before the season starts. Now do I think they will overturn it and let us play if we happen to qualify? Probably not. But that decision probably won't be made until late in the season, so the players are going to play ball until they know otherwise.

CrazyCat
July 18th, 2009, 10:33 AM
If memory serves me correctly, CU went 2-10 that year (2006). If memory serves me correctly a second time, MSU made it to the quarterfinals of the playoffs that year. And lastly, if (and that's a big IF) memory serves me correctly, EWU went 3-8 that year, but STILL managed to beat the bobkitties, in Bozeman. That team was almost entirely freshmen (Nichols, Boyce and Brown included) with very little game experience. I highly doubt we had more firepower. We just caught the kittens taking a cat nap in their litter box.

You make unsubstantiated, libelous accusations regarding a sports writer's objectivity on what basis? Even if he did have a grudge for something that happened in the 2006 playoffs, why would he "take them down a peg" in the PRESEASON 3 YEARS later?! Can anyone find me Coulson's Big Sky or FCS Top 25 preseason rankings for 2007 (MSU finished ranked 10th in FCS) so we could see if he "took them down a peg" because he's such a hateful, biased man?

Of course you won't guarantee EWU doesn't put up 24+ on the kitties because you know there's a good chance it might happen, and although your mouth is large, your stomach for eating crow is small. I'll give you 2-1 that EWU DOES put up 24+ on MSU this year. Put your money where your mouth is. xblahblahxxblahblahxxblahblahxxblahblahx

Lastly, the 2009 season being less than 2 months away means nothing regarding EWU's post-season ban. The University has appealed the NCAA's post-season sanction, and therefore must either uphold or reverse the decision sometime before the playoffs (around the 3rd week in November), not before the season starts. Now do I think they will overturn it and let us play if we happen to qualify? Probably not. But that decision probably won't be made until late in the season, so the players are going to play ball until they know otherwise.

Are you a disgruntled ex-griz fan?

In between all the kittie this and kittie that I realized that EWU plays Weber on Oct.10, then the griz on the 17th, followed by MSU on the 24th. That is a tough little 3 game stretch.

CopperCat
July 18th, 2009, 03:19 PM
If memory serves me correctly, CU went 2-10 that year (2006).

and although your mouth is large....

Last I checked, winning is winning. You should know that by now. Beating CU was a shock to the entire football world that year. And yes, MSU went on to THROTTLE Furman in the first round of the playoffs.

My mouth be large, but your brain is small. Carry on.

EWashEagle
July 18th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Man am I looking forward to Oct 24th.

CrazyCat
July 18th, 2009, 04:15 PM

Well said, me too.xthumbsupx

JALMOND
July 18th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Last I checked, winning is winning. You should know that by now. Beating CU was a shock to the entire football world that year. And yes, MSU went on to THROTTLE Furman in the first round of the playoffs.

Equally as shocking was the following week when the Cats lost to Chadron in Bozeman.:D

Sorry, I couldn't resist that.xsmiley_wix

JALMOND
July 18th, 2009, 06:54 PM

Par for the course to appeal (really nothing to lose). But really par for the course that the ban will stick. Until (and if) the NCAA lifts the ban, I will assume that the ban will stay. Any objective person would do the same, regardless of the team involved. Anything to the contrary is wishful thinking.

Face it. Your loss to the Griz, combined with your annual loss to Portland State (this time in Seattle) and at least one loss to either Weber or Montana State and you would not be going to the playoffs anyway, ban or no ban.

GOKATS
July 18th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Equally as shocking was the following week when the Cats lost to Chadron in Bozeman.:D

No comment................:o:o:o:o:o:o

Screamin_Eagle174
July 18th, 2009, 11:30 PM

Par for the course to appeal (really nothing to lose). But really par for the course that the ban will stick. Until (and if) the NCAA lifts the ban, I will assume that the ban will stay. Any objective person would do the same, regardless of the team involved. Anything to the contrary is wishful thinking.

Face it. Your loss to the Griz, combined with your annual loss to Portland State (this time in Seattle) and at least one loss to either Weber or Montana State and you would not be going to the playoffs anyway, ban or no ban.

Not that you need it, but you just negated a reppy, my friend!

It's only annual when it happens every year. 2003, 2004, and 2005 went down a little differently. xthumbsupx

Like I said, I don't think there's a decent chance it will be lifted, nor is it a guarantee that we'll even qualify. What I'm saying is it's moronic to think EWU couldn't finish as high as third in conference this year. Especially when it's coming from a fan of a team that hasn't beat EWU since 2002. xcoffeex

So tell me Jalmond, do you really think your PSU beats Eastern this year?

This is how I see our season potentially playing out:

Sep. 5 Western Ore.
D-II team that we beat up on every other year. Wolves left hungry. W 58-17

Sep. 12 at California
Cal looks to be a contender this year in the Pac 10 with Sanchez gone from USC. EWU's good at stopping the run, but Jahvid is simply the Best. And a beast. L 24-52

Sep. 19 Northern Colo.
Another Bear attack, although this one not so vicious, but still a battle. W 35-27

Sep. 26 at Sacramento St.
I don't know what to expect from the Hornets. One weekend they have a stinger, next weekend they don't. W 19-10

Oct. 3 at Idaho St.
EWU travels to the circus, and makes a clown out of the tigers. W 48-24

Oct. 10 Weber St.
This one could go either way. We don't have Peach and Belford in there hitting hard and creating fumbles this time, but we have some solid replacements. The Johnson twins however will be giving Higgins some trouble. It might be our homecoming, but the wildcats have been party poopers before. Could go either way. Toss-up 31-28

Oct. 17 at Montana
The Eags tend to play the Griz better in Missoula for some reason. I think we get amped up when in large, hostile venues. The Montana barely escaped two years ago thanks to a miracle 4th and 10 finger grab by Bagley. Nichols will be out for blood. The Griz are good, but there's a big question mark at QB. Should be a classic one though. EWU drives in the final minute for the win, only to have time run out. L 34-28

Oct. 24 Montana St.
Is the 7th time the charm for the other conference cats? They have a D, but where's the O? Eagles have an O, and proved they have a D by finishing the last 5 games of 2008 holding opponents to 19pts or less. Eagles make it 7. W 31-17

Oct. 31 vs. Portland St. (Seattle)
The Vikings have had our number the last two times we played them in a baseballs stadium. We slipped up at home in 2007. What happens on a neutral field, in a REAL stadium (GO HAWKS!:D). Birds reign supreme in Washington. W 42-31

Nov. 14 at Southern Utah
I don't know much about the Thunderbirds other than that they've been at the bottom of their conference but have been getting better every year with the loaded schedule of great teams they play against. I'd expect a closer game than Eagle fans would hope for. W 42-34

Nov. 21 at Northern Ariz.
The Lumberjacks are hard to gauge from year to year. I'd expect another close game, and the Jacks might get off (ha!) to a great start, but Eagles usually finish the season with a win. W 38-28

xpeacex
(home games)

Screamin_Eagle174
July 18th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Are you a disgruntled ex-griz fan?

No.

In between all the kittie this and kittie that I realized that EWU plays Weber on Oct.10, then the griz on the 17th, followed by MSU on the 24th. That is a tough little 3 game stretch.

Yes, that will be the hardest stretch of our season. xcoffeex

Screamin_Eagle174
July 18th, 2009, 11:39 PM

"A shock to the entire football world..." xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

No matter how small you think my brain is, it's still not as small as the Bobkitten's chance of beating EWU this year. xnodx

I Bleed Purple
July 19th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Seems like Screamin' needs to make up for not being here for a few months. :D

The frustrating thing is I can't really rile him up considering last year is hangin' over me. Bah!

Although if I remember right, we tend to win often in Cheney.

CopperCat
July 19th, 2009, 12:25 AM

As long as Weber gets on the right flight out of Salt Lake, that won't change.

Screamin_Eagle174
July 19th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Seems like Screamin' needs to make up for not being here for a few months. :D

The frustrating thing is I can't really rile him up considering last year is hangin' over me. Bah!

It's been more than a few! All I needed was somebody to spout off some ignorance for me to ruffle my feathers! xsmiley_wix

Let me help you jog your memory...

2007: EWU 38 - 16 WSU
2005: WSU 28 - 23 EWU
2003: WSU 35 - 23 EWU
2001: EWU 50 - 26 WSU
1999: EWU 30 - 27 WSU (played at Joe Albi in Spokane)
1997: EWU 35 - 11 WSU

2-3 in Cheney, 2-4 away from Ogden against EWU for the Wildcats.

Screamin_Eagle174
July 19th, 2009, 12:28 AM
As long as Weber gets on the right flight out of Salt Lake, that won't change.

See, more ignorance. At least life must be blissful in Bozo, MT. xthumbsupx

I Bleed Purple
July 19th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Ah, it was the two in a row that I remembered. Need to pay you back for last year.

CopperCat
July 19th, 2009, 01:03 PM
See, more ignorance. At least life must be blissful in Bozo, MT. xthumbsupx

If you paid attention you would know that I am nowhere near Bozeman at this moment in time. And I am the ignorant one?xlolx

CrazyCat
July 19th, 2009, 01:04 PM
O.K. I need some help so I can compete with screamer

What are a couple funny little nicknames for an eagle and Cheney, WA.

I Bleed Purple
July 19th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Cheagle?

Cheaglet?

Chiglet?

CopperCat
July 19th, 2009, 02:29 PM

The chickens from Cheney.

GOKATS
July 19th, 2009, 03:42 PM

Screamin is awful mouthy, reminds me more of a.................

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f122/survco/magpie.jpg

GOKATS
July 19th, 2009, 03:49 PM

Screamin is pretty mouth, reminds me more of a.....

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f122/survco/magpie.jpg

The Black-billed Magpie is a medium-sized bird with an extremely long tail. It is a highly distinctive bird of eastern Washington's open country.

Screamin_Eagle174
July 19th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Oct. 23rd, 2009
http://nynerd.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/14-cat-meets-eagle.JPG

Oct. 24th, 2009
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e141/jimbro999/IMG_3210.jpg?t=1248038388

xthumbsupx

eagle1
July 19th, 2009, 08:54 PM
No doubt that the violations will have some effect on this team just as the coaching change last year. However, this team has the talent to beat anyone in the Big Sky. I am not here to bag on the Bobcats because I think 6 straight wins by the Eags does just that. I am not that concerned with the Bobcats this season since we have them in Cheney. I am more concerned about winning in Missoula and Sacramento. Sacramento State has beat us 2 out the last 3 years. Go Eagles!!!

griz&beer
July 19th, 2009, 09:08 PM

Me too, I will be there. I live in Post Falls now. Should be a good game.

Screamin_Eagle174
July 19th, 2009, 10:18 PM
I am not here to bag on the Bobcats because I think 6 straight wins by the Eags does just that.

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Rep for you!

Screamin_Eagle174
July 19th, 2009, 10:20 PM
xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Rep for you!

xoutofrepx

GOKATS
July 19th, 2009, 10:32 PM
xoutofrepx

Hell, it's Cheney.xnodx You can't be more than a couple blocks apart, walk over & give him a big hug.xeekxxlolx

mlbowl
July 20th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Hell, it's Cheney.xnodx You can't be more than a couple blocks apart, walk over & give him a big hug.xeekxxlolx

Now that's funny!!! LMFAO!

Screamin_Eagle174
September 15th, 2009, 01:46 PM
And as for the Cats losing the EWoser again, don't count on it. I dare you to put 24+ points up on that defense. I won't guarantee anything because that is just dumb...

Hell, Dixie State almost did it! xlolx

Oct. 24th can't come soon enough! xnodx

UNCBears2010
September 15th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Coulson's pick for UNC (1-10, 1-7) is already impossible.

CopperCat
September 15th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Hell, Dixie State almost did it! xlolx

Oct. 24th can't come soon enough! xnodx

I'm not going to talk big about my team anymore, because the team can't back it up.

But you go on right ahead. You stay classy.xcoffeex

Screamin_Eagle174
September 15th, 2009, 04:24 PM
I'm not going to talk big about my team anymore, because the team can't back it up.

But you go on right ahead. You stay classy.xcoffeex

I'm on it! :D xcoffeex