PDA

View Full Version : Feeding the 'Dins

furman94
July 15th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Furman football is bringing back the old football tradition of “feeding the team.”* On Saturday, August 15, Furman fans, supporters and friends will have the opportunity to host a football player or players in their home for a meal.* What a great way to get to know one or more of the 2009 football team members before the season starts.

NCAA rules now allow fans, supporters or friends to invite team players to their private home for an occasional meal.* However, the meal MUST be in a private home and NOT at a restaurant.* The meal can be catered in the private home.

Athletes who have cars will drive to your home for the meal and should arrive around 6:00 p.m.* Arrangements will be made for any athletes who do not have transportation.* You may host more than one athlete; however, the number of athletes assigned to you will be determined by the number of host responses.* The coaches will assign players to each host’s home.*

All commitments to host a football athlete/s need to be received in our office by Friday, August 7.* If you have any additional questions, please contact Diane Miller-Rainey at 864-294-2120.*

Don’t forget all Furman fans, supporters, and friends are invited to watch the Furman Paladins practice on Saturday, August 15 at 3 p.m. on the Furman practice fields.

What a great concept! I will definately be participating!

OL FU
July 15th, 2009, 07:35 AM
I always thought the restriction on this was ridiculous.

By sister and brother in law fed many a Paladin back in the 80s (I believe). It was really a good way to get to know the team from someplace other than the stands. xthumbsupx

Tribe4SF
July 15th, 2009, 07:55 AM
W&M has been doing this for years. The "Welcome Back Dinner" is greatly anticipated by the players, and cements the bond between the team and its supporters.

OL FU
July 15th, 2009, 08:11 AM
W&M has been doing this for years. The "Welcome Back Dinner" is greatly anticipated by the players, and cements the bond between the team and its supporters.

I was under the impression that Furman stopped because of NCAA rules. Maybe FU was simply being overly cautious.

Uncle Buck
July 15th, 2009, 08:15 AM
That's a nice tradition, good to see them bringing it back.

Tribe4SF
July 15th, 2009, 08:19 AM
I was under the impression that Furman stopped because of NCAA rules. Maybe FU was simply being overly cautious.

That must have been the case. W&M hasn't missed a year with it.

OL FU
July 15th, 2009, 08:25 AM
That must have been the case. W&M hasn't missed a year with it.

Was the Welcome Back dinner a college sponsored event or simply individuals having a meal with a few players in their homes, just curious?

PaladinFan
July 15th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Any player willing to drive down to middle Georgia is welcome to some chicken fajitas. :)

These things are good. FCS football, by and large, plays in smaller communities around the country. Mixing the players and those local supporters benefits both, I think. Especially at Furman too, where most of the roster hails from a state other than South Carolina.

BEAR
July 15th, 2009, 08:42 AM
I used to get the impression that you couldnt' 'feed the Bears" at all. Not true apparently. I don't want to waste the time looking up the exact NCAA rule but from what I understand it's a "if you make food available for one, you have to make if available for all" type of rule.

PaladinFan
July 15th, 2009, 09:14 AM
I used to get the impression that you couldnt' 'feed the Bears" at all. Not true apparently. I don't want to waste the time looking up the exact NCAA rule but from what I understand it's a "if you make food available for one, you have to make if available for all" type of rule.

I've always been told not to feed the bears.

Tribe4SF
July 15th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Was the Welcome Back dinner a college sponsored event or simply individuals having a meal with a few players in their homes, just curious?

Fans host a few players in their home for dinner. It's organized by the football staff, and you submit a form offering to host, and stipulating how many players you will accept. A few of us do it together, and generally have the largest group with eight players. Ours is renowned among the players, as we go all out, usually having scallops, shrimp, clams and chicken wings for appetizers, and 16 oz. ribeyes with baked potato and salad for the main course. Dessert is usually a brownie sundae, and there is considerable heckling when some of the guys struggle to finish it. The players usually spill out in the back, and throw footballs around with our kids.

OL FU
July 15th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Fans host a few players in their home for dinner. It's organized by the football staff, and you submit a form offering to host, and stipulating how many players you will accept. A few of us do it together, and generally have the largest group with eight players. Ours is renowned among the players, as we go all out, usually having scallops, shrimp, clams and chicken wings for appetizers, and 16 oz. ribeyes with baked potato and salad for the main course. Dessert is usually a brownie sundae, and there is considerable heckling when some of the guys struggle to finish it. The players usually spill out in the back, and throw footballs around with our kids.

Dang, can I play for you guysxthumbsupx

Eaglesrus
July 15th, 2009, 10:15 AM
I'm going to request being the host for Sorrells, Forcier and Maples.

furman94
July 15th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Too late I already requested those :) I don't think you're allowed to request a player, although I would like to choose the big names haha

Go...gate
July 15th, 2009, 11:00 AM

Nice spread!

Husky Alum
July 15th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Fantastic idea - I sent a note to Coach Hager seeing if there's interest in doing it for NU.

You could easily turn it into a fund raiser (say $50 a head per player), if you wanted.

Sounds like a nice spread there, Tribe. No fried oysters? xsmiley_wix

LBPop
July 15th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Being one of the few local families for the Hoyas from '04 to '07, we actually hosted some players. I had no idea it might be an NCAA violation. I hope Georgetown doesn't have to vacate a bunch of victories...Uh, never mind. xrolleyesx:D:o

OL FU
July 15th, 2009, 12:50 PM
I'm going to request being the host for Sorrells, Forcier and Maples.

We will send the food tester with them. xsmiley_wix

Tribe4SF
July 15th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Fantastic idea - I sent a note to Coach Hager seeing if there's interest in doing it for NU.

You could easily turn it into a fund raiser (say $50 a head per player), if you wanted.

Sounds like a nice spread there, Tribe. No fried oysters? xsmiley_wix

xlolx Oysters don't come into season until September.

PaladinFan
July 15th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Too late I already requested those :) I don't think you're allowed to request a player, although I would like to choose the big names haha

Methinks the GSU fan would lock them in a closet, not feed them.

Best they did this after Joel Bell left. I guess I've never asked, but just how much does a 6'7 315 lbs man eat?

Eaglesrus
July 15th, 2009, 01:59 PM
We will send the food tester with them. xsmiley_wix

Methinks the GSU fan would lock them in a closet, not feed them........

Geez, can't pull anything over on you Paladins. I was sure that y'all would think that it was just a nice gesture on my part.

BEAR
July 15th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Alright...I looked up the NCAA rule on feeding the Bears..or Rams...or Paladins...xlolx

16.12.1.6 Occasional Meals. A student-athlete or the entire team in a sport may receive an occasional meal in the locale of the institution on infrequent and special occasions from an institutional staff member. An institutional staff member may provide reasonable local transportation to student-athletes to attend such meals. A student-athlete may receive an occasional family home meal from a representative of athletics interests on infrequent and special occasions under the following conditions:

"(a) The meal must be provided in an individual's home (as opposed to a restaurant) and may be catered; and
"(b) A representative of the institution's athletics interests may provide reasonable local transportation to student-athletes to attend the meal function only if the meal function is at the home of that representative."

Effective August 2002. Don't be afraid to feed your team's players. Free food is always welcome when you're a college student. xthumbsupxxlolx

jmufan999
July 15th, 2009, 02:19 PM
what a great f'ing idea... i love it.

T-Dog
July 15th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Alright...I looked up the NCAA rule on feeding the Bears..or Rams...or Paladins...xlolx

Effective August 2002. Don't be afraid to feed your team's players. Free food is always welcome when you're a college student. xthumbsupxxlolx

I'd like to know what constitutes "occasional"

And if the student-athlete gives some form of financial compensation to the host family, does it still count?

BEAR
July 15th, 2009, 03:02 PM
I'd like to know what constitutes "occasional"

And if the student-athlete gives some form of financial compensation to the host family, does it still count?

I don't know about you, but if I ask a guest to my house for dinner and they offer to pay for the meal, I'd be kind of offended...I invited them and they're a guest..why would they pay for it? or need to for that matter? xconfusedx xlolx