PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh at Villanova will be a night game

ngineer
July 14th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Announced last night that the Mountain Hawks' invasion of Villanova will occur at night (okay, dusk) with a 7 P.M. kickoff. Up until then, many thought it would be another afternoon game, like last year.
Any impact on game as a result of time? I think this helps Lehigh, especially if a warm day. Typically we're not as deep as a good CAA team and a hot, steamy afternoon can cause one to wear down sooner. Not as bad at night. Plus, last time we played 'Nova at night (2006) we won.xthumbsupx

Go...gate
July 15th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Night or day, hot or cold, 'Nova will be damn tough. They were much bigger and faster than Colgate last November and killed us on a perfect day for football.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 15th, 2009, 11:16 AM
I'm pretty excited that this will be a night game. You know what this does? This makes for a compelling doubleheader: Richmond at Delaware (3:30 PM) , then Lehigh at Villanova (7 PM). Too bad Lafayette's at G'Town that weekend.

As 'gate said, this is going to be one huge challenge for our offense against that athletic 3-3-5 defense. I think our defense will be able to hang, but the Wildcat "D" scares me.

Go...gate
July 15th, 2009, 11:44 AM
I'm pretty excited that this will be a night game. You know what this does? This makes for a compelling doubleheader: Richmond at Delaware (3:30 PM) , then Lehigh at Villanova (7 PM). Too bad Lafayette's at G'Town that weekend.

As 'gate said, this is going to be one huge challenge for our offense against that athletic 3-3-5 defense. I think our defense will be able to hang, but the Wildcat "D" scares me.

I think you guys can hang with them as long as you balance your offense. If you just line up and try to run, it will not work.

c15683
July 15th, 2009, 12:50 PM
QB Clark will be key to the offense. Villanova was his first college start last year.....tossed four TDs gained diecent yardage - BUT interceptions / turnovers killed us in that game. He went on the complelte a very good spoh season gaining confidence. Later in the year coach opened up the playbook and he responded well.....leads me to belive this may be a closwrr game than many belive. Especially if we can catch Villanova over confident and looking past futher down the schedule.

colorless raider
July 15th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Night or day, hot or cold, 'Nova will be damn tough. They were much bigger and faster than Colgate last November and killed us on a perfect day for football.

thanks to the old defensive coordinator

Go...gate
July 15th, 2009, 01:10 PM
thanks to the old defensive coordinator

I hope you are right, Colorless.

RichH2
July 15th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Nova plays Temple the week before, which they should win but they may look past us,if Clark can perform with a healthy Walker we should keep it close. Nova has 2 very good qbs , they will cause us problems

wideright82
July 15th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Villanova will NEVER.... i repeat NEVER look past Lehigh ever again. 2006 has not been forgotten, believe me, I still can't get over that loss, and I know our coaches haven't either. Expect a battle, as our games usually are, but it will not be because we over look you mountain hawks. See you neers there, as a night game should be a spectacle.

2007 was just a funny year when your idiot field crew spelled lehigh wrong in the middle of the field

RichH2
July 15th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Will be a spectacle for sure, I like that upset word, Lets repeat it again this yrxnodx

LUHawker
July 15th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Villanova will NEVER.... i repeat NEVER look past Lehigh ever again. 2006 has not been forgotten, believe me, I still can't get over that loss, and I know our coaches haven't either. Expect a battle, as our games usually are, but it will not be because we over look you mountain hawks. See you neers there, as a night game should be a spectacle.

I think that Lehigh's win was the first and only time a Patriot League team defeated Andy Talley and VU. For some odd reason, Talley has a real "thing" against the PL and generally goes out of his way to talk down the PL. I think he may have been on record before that game as saying something to the effect that VU would never lose to a PL team - I'm sure it wasn't that direct, but pretty darn close. While I respect what he has done at Villanova, I dislike his disregard of the PL. Sadly, Colgate's performance in the playoffs probably didn't change his mind.

Here's to hoping that the 2009 game might fall into that special category of upsets and set Talley straight. All homerism aside, I think there is a much greater chance of it happening than most everyone else. I don't think last year's game can be used as a tremendously good gauge for this year, but at the same time, it was hardly a blow-out. For LU fans, let's hope it isn't 90 degrees and 90% humidity like last year; I think Lehigh wilted - I know I did.

TheValleyRaider
July 15th, 2009, 08:40 PM
I think you guys can hang with them as long as you balance your offense. If you just line up and try to run, it will not work.

Indeed. Our defensive weaknesses hurt us, but their Run D was so tough, the offense's lack of balance was exposed. We might have had a shot with a better passing game, but really, we played right into Nova's hands that year

Good luck to Lehigh. Night games are fun (at least, that's what I'm hoping xcoolx)

Hoyadestroya85
July 15th, 2009, 09:12 PM
If you can stop Aaron Ball early, establish the passing game and neutralize Whitney and Szczur Running the Ball you guys have a chance. When we played you guys last year we had one starter missing from our O-Line and he's probably the second best player on that line. I'm not saying that it's out of the Question for Lehigh to win, but Villanova may want to make a statement in this game and send a message to the rest of the CAA/Country that they mean business.

ngineer
July 15th, 2009, 10:02 PM
I fully expect Coen to pull out the stops and use the entire playbook unlike last year when Clark was still learning. Assuming a healthy Walker and the WRs step up like they did in the Spring game, we can keep the D guessing. As long as our conditioning is good, I think our D can hang. Obviously, we need some playmakers to create a couple turnovers. But the big question mark for me going in will be our kicking game.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 15th, 2009, 10:03 PM
I do believe Lehigh has a very real chance to pull the upset. Lehigh is legitimately solid in what would be considered the "key" areas to compete. They're experienced in the trenches with size and athleticism. They have a great set of linebackers as well as a now proven QB. Lehigh did hang in pretty well last year. I know it goes both ways when it comes to saying how much a team improves but Lehigh breaking in a number a new players a key positions and the depth was just starting to build. Lehigh has been the one PL team that has consistently battled the CAA/A10 teams tooth and nail. Of Villanova's 33 points 12 were by way of fieldgoals and 7 via a 56 yard int run back. 'Nova had 371 total yards against a "D" that was on the field pretty much the entire game. Lehigh's defense for all purposes played very well and contained the 'Nova offense. Clark was rattled from the start and didn't really settle in until the game was basically over. I have real faith Lehigh can hold 'Nova to less than 30 based on last year. If Lehigh's oline can hold their own this game should be very very close. With that said IF the Cats beat Temple to start the year watch out. I would at that point hope of a let down. Temple should be pretty solid this year and top level FCS teams usually don't beat the better MAC ones.

ngineer
July 16th, 2009, 08:24 AM
I do believe Lehigh has a very real chance to pull the upset. Lehigh is legitimately solid in what would be considered the "key" areas to compete. They're experienced in the trenches with size and athleticism. They have a great set of linebackers as well as a now proven QB. Lehigh did hang in pretty well last year. I know it goes both ways when it comes to saying how much a team improves but Lehigh breaking in a number a new players a key positions and the depth was just starting to build. Lehigh has been the one PL team that has consistently battled the CAA/A10 teams tooth and nail. Of Villanova's 33 points 12 were by way of fieldgoals and 7 via a 56 yard int run back. 'Nova had 371 total yards against a "D" that was on the field pretty much the entire game. Lehigh's defense for all purposes played very well and contained the 'Nova offense. Clark was rattled from the start and didn't really settle in until the game was basically over. I have real faith Lehigh can hold 'Nova to less than 30 based on last year. If Lehigh's oline can hold their own this game should be very very close. With that said IF the Cats beat Temple to start the year watch out. I would at that point hope of a let down. Temple should be pretty solid this year and top level FCS teams usually don't beat the better MAC ones.

Agreed on all points. And remember, just before the int. return for td, Clark had a 50 yard td pass called back. Had to have played in his head in forcing the pass he shouldn't. The Temple game for VU should be real good window into seeing what they have. They gave West Virginia all they could handle last year. D and special teams have to keep VU under 30 for us to have a real shot.

RichH2
July 16th, 2009, 09:34 AM
xpeacexAgree but I think WVU tookmore outof Nova lastyr than Temple will this plus Nova s/b better this yr. That being said we are also better this yr.

Tribe4SF
July 16th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Athleticism, speed and experience all favor Villanova. A Lehigh win will be a major upset. The Wildcats may be the best team in the country this year.

NovaWildcat
July 16th, 2009, 02:33 PM
For some odd reason, Talley has a real "thing" against the PL and generally goes out of his way to talk down the PL. I think he may have been on record before that game as saying something to the effect that VU would never lose to a PL team - I'm sure it wasn't that direct, but pretty darn close. While I respect what he has done at Villanova, I dislike his disregard of the PL. Sadly, Colgate's performance in the playoffs probably didn't change his mind.

If this is correct (I don't know it is) - it's probably because he wants to keep Villanova out of consideration for the PL. I'm sure it's something the administration has considered before - and it would be a disaster for the program. While Talley (who is typically very candid) probably didn't take the right approach in discussing the PL, his motives are pretty obvious. At Villanova, we need more people 'going to bat' for the football team.

On another note, glad to hear others optimism about this year's team. Should be fun and hope the community embraces it. With BBall back on the national scope, wouldn't be surprised if some of that spirit carries over to football - especially with the potential that this team has.

The key is the Thursday night opener at Temple where we will definitely draw big -that is a must win for the FAN BASE (much moreso than the actual team, ironically).

RichH2
July 16th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Actually I think Nova should win but I expect a brawl and big crowd. Will be great fun ,wish I could take the timeto go .

wideright82
July 16th, 2009, 10:43 PM
If this is correct (I don't know it is) - it's probably because he wants to keep Villanova out of consideration for the PL. I'm sure it's something the administration has considered before - and it would be a disaster for the program. While Talley (who is typically very candid) probably didn't take the right approach in discussing the PL, his motives are pretty obvious. At Villanova, we need more people 'going to bat' for the football team.

On another note, glad to hear others optimism about this year's team. Should be fun and hope the community embraces it. With BBall back on the national scope, wouldn't be surprised if some of that spirit carries over to football - especially with the potential that this team has.

The key is the Thursday night opener at Temple where we will definitely draw big -that is a must win for the FAN BASE (much moreso than the actual team, ironically).

I happen to know for a fact he has nothing but respect for Lehigh and a lot of patriot league teams. We even got a stern talking to before the Bucknell game my freshman year from what I recall. I am sure his will to win against them to prove dominance is misconstrued because there aren't too many more serious friday practice speeches than the ones before lehigh and penn. We always recognized their ability to get "up" for the game, and potentially beat us. A lot of what Coach T says, are "Talleyisms." He says them on the fly and usually doesn't get his exact message across unless you know him.

ngineer
July 16th, 2009, 10:47 PM
I'm picking VU over Temple as well. I picked VU #1 in my pre-season with all the returnees they have. They are definintely one of the elites this year...but then, again, "it" is played on the field and not on paper. One of the big nightmares for any coach is to have everyone psyched on preseason expectations. I remember my high school team was preseason pick #1 in our league. We lost our first two games and never fully recovered and finished in a four way tie for secondxsmhx

I'm really looking forward to the game a 'nova. My father, who coached HS football for 25 years will be coming along with his QB from 1963, who then went on to play at Villanova, and is now a surgeon. Should be a lot of fun: a doctor and a lawyer, 'Cat and 'Engineer'... My Dad will have to sit in the middle!:D

RichH2
July 17th, 2009, 11:50 AM
game s/b great, I wish I could go. My cousins all went to Nova,they will be at the game and with me at LU-Nova

Go...gate
July 17th, 2009, 12:41 PM
I'm picking VU over Temple as well. I picked VU #1 in my pre-season with all the returnees they have. They are definintely one of the elites this year...but then, again, "it" is played on the field and not on paper. One of the big nightmares for any coach is to have everyone psyched on preseason expectations. I remember my high school team was preseason pick #1 in our league. We lost our first two games and never fully recovered and finished in a four way tie for secondxsmhx

I'm really looking forward to the game a 'nova. My father, who coached HS football for 25 years will be coming along with his QB from 1963, who then went on to play at Villanova, and is now a surgeon. Should be a lot of fun: a doctor and a lawyer, 'Cat and 'Engineer'... My Dad will have to sit in the middle!:D

That is what it's all about. I bet your Dad will be a very proud father and coach that evening.