PDA

View Full Version : More Coaching awards

ysubigred
December 6th, 2005, 09:41 AM
APPY ST, TX ST, UNH and EIU coaches also mentioned :hurray:

Heacock, Leipheimer earn coaching awards
Print StoryEmail to FriendDiscuss this story

Both were named regional coaches of the year by the AFCA.

VINDICATOR STAFF REPORT

Youngstown State's Jon Heacock and Jack Leipheimer of Thiel have been named regional coaches of the year by the American Football Coaches Association.

Heacock, who was also the Gateway coach of the year, was named in Division I-AA, Region Four, for the first time in his career.

He is the third YSU coach to earn such honors, joining Jim Tressel (1993, 1994, 1997) and Bill Narduzzi (1979).

Heacock guided Youngstown State to an 8-3 record and a share of the school's first Gateway Football Conference title.

He is 31-24 in five seasons as YSU coach.

Also named in Division I-AA were New Hampshire's Sean McDonnell, Appalachian State's Jerry Moore, Eastern Illinois' Bob Spoo and Texas State's David Baliff.

Leipheimer led Thiel to a 10-0 regular season record and the program's first Division III playoff berth.

Thiel finished 11-1 overall and tied or set 24 school records.

Also named in Division III were Chuck Priore of Trinity (Conn.), Pete Fredenburg of Mary Hardin-Baylor (Texas), Jim Collins of Capital and Bob Berezowitz of Wisconsin-Whitewater.

Penn State's Joe Paterno was a regional winner in Division I-A, along with Larry Coker of Miami (Fla.), Mike Shula (Alabama), Mack Brown (Texas) and Pete Carroll (Southern California).

Paterno was named a regional coach of the year for the 11th time, most in AFCA history. Paterno was first named regional coach of the year in 1967.

Second on that list is Larry Kehres of Mount Union, who has won 10 regional awards.

In Division II (NCAA Division II and NAIA schools), the regional winners were Danny Hale of Bloomsburg (Pa.), Tommy Spanglr of Presbyterian (S.C.), Craig Schurig of Washburn (Kan.), Steve Ryan of Morningside (Iowa) and Kyle Schweigert of Minnesota-Duluth.

The AFCA will announce its four National Coach of the Year winners Jan. 10 at the AFCA convention in Dallas.

Tuesday, December 6, 2005
Both were named regional coaches of the year by the AFCA.

VINDICATOR STAFF REPORT

Youngstown State's Jon Heacock and Jack Leipheimer of Thiel have been named regional coaches of the year by the American Football Coaches Association.

Heacock, who was also the Gateway coach of the year, was named in Division I-AA, Region Four, for the first time in his career.

He is the third YSU coach to earn such honors, joining Jim Tressel (1993, 1994, 1997) and Bill Narduzzi (1979).

Heacock guided Youngstown State to an 8-3 record and a share of the school's first Gateway Football Conference title.

He is 31-24 in five seasons as YSU coach.

Also named in Division I-AA were New Hampshire's Sean McDonnell, Appalachian State's Jerry Moore, Eastern Illinois' Bob Spoo and Texas State's David Baliff.

Leipheimer led Thiel to a 10-0 regular season record and the program's first Division III playoff berth.

Thiel finished 11-1 overall and tied or set 24 school records.

Also named in Division III were Chuck Priore of Trinity (Conn.), Pete Fredenburg of Mary Hardin-Baylor (Texas), Jim Collins of Capital and Bob Berezowitz of Wisconsin-Whitewater.

Penn State's Joe Paterno was a regional winner in Division I-A, along with Larry Coker of Miami (Fla.), Mike Shula (Alabama), Mack Brown (Texas) and Pete Carroll (Southern California).

Paterno was named a regional coach of the year for the 11th time, most in AFCA history. Paterno was first named regional coach of the year in 1967.

Second on that list is Larry Kehres of Mount Union, who has won 10 regional awards.

In Division II (NCAA Division II and NAIA schools), the regional winners were Danny Hale of Bloomsburg (Pa.), Tommy Spanglr of Presbyterian (S.C.), Craig Schurig of Washburn (Kan.), Steve Ryan of Morningside (Iowa) and Kyle Schweigert of Minnesota-Duluth.

The AFCA will announce its four National Coach of the Year winners Jan. 10 at the AFCA convention in Dallas.

Tuesday, December 6, 2005
Both were named regional coaches of the year by the AFCA. VINDICATOR STAFF REPORT Youngstown State's Jon Heacock and...