PDA

View Full Version : LFN's Preseason All-Patriot League Team

Lehigh Football Nation
July 14th, 2009, 03:27 PM
http://tinyurl.com/nrqc4d

Yes, Virginia, Patriot League football is just around the corner. Not only that, Patriot League Media Day is three weeks away -- where we'll learn about the preseason poll, the preseason Offensive and Defensive Players of the Year, and more.

Through the long summer, we learn about organizations like The Sports Network, Phil Steele's 2009 College Preview and others announcing their national preseason all-American teams. Some FCS conferences (like the Colonial Athletic Association, or CAA) do individual preseason honorees, too, for just their league.

But what about the Patriot League? The league itself does not release a preseason all-Patriot League team during Media day, so today I decided: why not stir up the pot a little bit and announce my own preseason all-Patriot League team?

Toughest positions to pick: FB/SB (basically, they all graduated!) and LB (so many good ones to choose from). Overall it looks like another year when anyone in November could be playoff-bound, with Holy Cross getting the edge because of Randolph.

HoyaMetanoia
July 14th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Had to give us one, huh?

I'm not sure Dobyns is the right pick there. He lost his job temporarily to a 3rd string TE, if I remember correctly.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 14th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Chris Rau and Travis Mack were in the running, but in the end I thought Colbert had the edge. And Dobyns couldn't have been that bad since he had 9 punts during the Fordham game.

RichH2
July 14th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Could nitpick for a few more LU players, Kennedy and Pearce but a pretty fair pre season team. How about a 2nd team pick also. My mother always said I was too greedyxnonox

Lehigh Football Nation
July 14th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Could nitpick for a few more LU players, Kennedy and Pearce but a pretty fair pre season team. How about a 2nd team pick also. My mother always said I was too greedyxnonox

I will, Rich, as long as you pick the 2nd team TE and FB xlolx

RichH2
July 14th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Now your just being mean.:( How about 2 more WRs instead?xthumbsupx

Had to edit, went to look, you might as well ask me to do some wind sprints ! How about 3 ore Qbs. We have lots of thosexsmiley_wix

Lehigh Football Nation
July 15th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Due to 'popular demand', I'm adding a second team (and, yes, that means you RichH) xlolx

http://tinyurl.com/nrqc4d

Difficult to find that elusive second-team FB/H-Back and TE, but indeed I did find them.

carney2
July 15th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Your opinions are as good as any and better than most. What strikes me is how few "locks" there are on this list. Many of these guys may be hard pressed for playing time come October.

Go...gate
July 15th, 2009, 11:39 AM
I have to admit that as much as I support Colgate and the Patriot League (and always will), it will not feel the same - and my enthusiasm will be slightly tempered - until the FB scholarship issue is resolved one way or another and we know for sure that the conference is either making a meaningful commitment to being fully competitive in FCS, or whether it will essentially de-emphasize and confine most of its opponents (and its competitiveness) to the lower tier of FCS. I will live with either decision, but it is time the conference *****$ or gets off the pot on this issue.

LBPop
July 15th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Georgetown defensive players always have an edge. They get to pile up stats because they are on the field so much. Watch for Parrish to blow up as an LB.

DFW HOYA
July 15th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Georgetown defensive players always have an edge. They get to pile up stats because they are on the field so much.

In the season finale, the defense was on the field for over 42 minutes. That's a huge number by any definition, not the least of which against a Fordham team which was winless in the PL entering the game.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 15th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Got to give credit to the G'Town "D", though, who has had a real pipeline of defensive ends come through there starting with Ononibaku, followed by Etekuren, and now DE Chidi Obinawu.

Etekuren was a great defensive lineman, getting 61 tackles in 10 games. Averaging 6.1 tackles a game from the "D" line isn't totally explainable by the extra time.

HoyaMetanoia
July 15th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Got to give credit to the G'Town "D", though, who has had a real pipeline of defensive ends come through there starting with Ononibaku, followed by Etekuren, and now DE Chidi Obinawu.

Etekuren was a great defensive lineman, getting 61 tackles in 10 games. Averaging 6.1 tackles a game from the "D" line isn't totally explainable by the extra time.

Not to mention Buzbee, who has a shot at the Redskins 56 man roster.

RichH2
July 15th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Sorry, had to work today, just got in, great job. TEs few and far between this yr. It will be fun to see how they pan out. Now to get Carney to do some historical work on the Patsys

carney2
July 15th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Sorry, had to work today, just got in, great job. TEs few and far between this yr. It will be fun to see how they pan out. Now to get Carney to do some historical work on the Patsys

Huh?!!

RichH2
July 16th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Carney, remember we were talking about taking original Patsy class and seeing how they actually did.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 16th, 2009, 04:30 PM
I'm bumping this up just to say that I scooped Phil Steele be exactly one day.

http://www.fordhamsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/071609aaa.html

Five Fordham Rams Named Preseason All-Patriot League by Phil Steele's College Football Preview
Xavier Martin Named First Team; Jordan Bledsoe, James Crockett, Cameron Dean and John Skelton Named to Second Team

July 16, 2009
Bronx, N.Y. - Five members of the 2009 Fordham University football squad were named Preseason All-Patriot League by Phil Steele's College Football Preview it was announced on Wednesday. Junior running back Xavier Martin was named to the first team while seniors James Crockett (LB) and John Skelton (QB), junior Jordan Bledsoe (OL) and sophomore Cameron Dean (P) were all named to the second team.

I'd be real curious to see how his and mine stack up. Any team without TE Stephen Skelton IMO is a list that needs revising, IMO.