PDA

View Full Version : CAA Forecast - Hofstra

jstclmet
July 14th, 2009, 10:18 AM
The Pluses:
1. 20 returning starters (9 Off, 9 Def, 2 ST).
2. Entire OL is coming back at full strength.
3. QB's & RB's are back to provide leadership and scoring.
3. The team is healthy and has made vast improvements over the winter.
4. MLB Bonus, preseason AA leads the defense that will be hungry for a winning season.

The Negatives:
1. This team is just too small;
1a. The weights of the OL reminds of O lineman from the 70's (T's More 6'3 260, Poole 6'2 274, G's Spanich 6'3 275, Frederick 6'4 264, C Harrell 6'2 275). Not very big in 09.

1b. The DL is even smaller; DE Mayo 5'11 200, DT Nelson 6'3 259, DE Smith 6'2 230. These guys will have to outquick you, as they will not be able to overpower you and stuff the middle.

1c. LB's; MLB Bonus 5'10 205, OLB Edmonds 6'0 205, and Gaida 5'10 211. This front 6 will have their work cut out for them. The backups will be seeing a lot of time.

The schedule:

9/5 vs Stony Brook. The Pride took it to the Seawolves last year in the "Battle of Long Island", beating them handily at their place. Nothing different this year as the Pride are a year stronger and faster. The Pride wins easily in their home opener, 42 - 10.

9/12 @ Bryant. The pride roams north into Rhode Island to take on the Bull Dogs of Bryant college. The dogs bark violently, but have little bite, as the Pride leaves Rhode Island with the sweet taste of victory in a convincing 45 - 7 win over their NEC foe.

9/19 @ Richmond. The Pride roams south into the web of the Defending National Champion Spiders. The Spiders waist little time in dispatching the much smaller Pride 28 - 7.

9/26 @ Western Michigan. Here's where the Pride truly learns that size matters. WMU OL begins @ 300 across the board. This game is not close as the Broncos gallup past the Pride 45 - 7.

10/3 vs James Madison. Sitting @ .500, but having lost their last two, the Pride back at home fights valiant in battling the visiting Dukes. However, the Pride's smallish Def cannot contain the Dukes in the 4th qtr, and the Dukes come from behind to win 21 - 17.

10/10 vs Maine. In a nip & tuck game against the Black Bears, this time it is the Pride that kicks the game winning FG as time expires to win 24 - 21.

10/17 @ Rhode Island. In the Pride's second trip to the state of Rhode Island in 09, the Rams are more than up to the challenge. This time it's the Prides turn to lose as the Rams kick the game winning FG to seal the deal. URI 24 HU 21.

10/24 vs New Hampshire. In a battle for CAA North Supremacy, the The Pride & Cats slug their way to a 17 - 17 tie. However, in another one decided by a last second FG, the Pride survives 20 - 17.

10/31 Bye

11/7 @ Delaware. The Pride roars into the Tub only to find the Blue Hens waiting and flexing for a fight. Leading 20 - 17 with under 2 minutes to go in the 4th, the Pride needs one last defensive stand. However, it was not to be as Pat Devlin leads the Hens 80 yds for the game winning TD as UD wins 24 - 20 in front of the home faithful.

11/14 @ Northeastern. The Pride travels north again to take on a weakend NU team, and comes away with the much needed win 42 - 21.

11/21 vs UMass. In a game that's been marked on the Pride calendar since the schedule was set, HU wears down the Minuteman 28 - 21 to finish the season above .500.

Overall 6 - 5, CAA 4 - 4

WrenFGun
July 14th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Hofstra always reminds me of being a pain in the butt when we play them. With that said, UNH went into Hofstra 2 years ago and beat an undefeated team something like 53-10, or something like that. We'll see if they have what it takes to get over the hump this year.

Redwyn
July 14th, 2009, 11:41 AM
I think Hofstra will get SBU, but I don't think it'll be that much. SBU returns a lot of young players, and seemed to finally bloom.

On the other hand, SBU has heard of Hofstra, and therefore in Stony Brook fashion will tank the game.

Tribe4SF
July 14th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Seems plausible, except for the win over New Hampshire.

jmufan999
July 14th, 2009, 02:16 PM
if we only beat hofstra by 4, after the beatdown we gave them last year... i'll eat my hat.

Uncle Buck
July 14th, 2009, 02:22 PM
On my blackberry now, will post more later. While we are smallish up front, some of the players mentioned above will not be starting since others are ahead of them and bigger. Mayo is a LB and not DE.

All in all, I think a lot of teams will overlook Hofstra who will have the talent to beat you. They just have to stay healthy and not make stupid mistakes. I look for a more consistent HU to be at least 6-5. Maybe that's just my rose colored glasses in July.

andy7171
July 14th, 2009, 02:39 PM
In my opinion, you can get away with a small o-line, if you run the ball a lot. The small d-line is what is going to kill the Flying Dutch. They need UB to come back.

UNHFootballAlum
July 14th, 2009, 04:20 PM
I see UNH scoring more than 17 pts on Hofstra unless weather plays a role. It is unlikely that UNH loses this game

Uncle Buck
July 14th, 2009, 06:09 PM
In my opinion, you can get away with a small o-line, if you run the ball a lot. The small d-line is what is going to kill the Flying Dutch. They need UB to come back.

I just might have to Andy. Though I still think a lot of people will be overlooking a much more competitive team this year. Stability is something we did not have last year. Not at QB, RB, OL, WR, DL, shoot, 15 minutes before the UD game I see the OC go running out of the stadium. His wife goes into labor and our frosh QB gets his first start without the OC/QB coach. It was a comedy of errors and baptism by fire all year long. The look, attitude and style of this year's team should be much different.
Not saying we will win the NC, but we won't be a team that lays down for you either.

Wildcat80
July 14th, 2009, 06:43 PM
I see UNH scoring more than 17 pts on Hofstra unless weather plays a role. It is unlikely that UNH loses this game

All CAA games are tough but we will have an experienced OLine in place by this game. UNH will prevail.xnodx

WMTribe90
July 14th, 2009, 11:29 PM
I think six wins is likely and seven wins is certainly a possibility.

Uncle Buck
July 15th, 2009, 08:14 AM
All CAA games are tough but we will have an experienced OLine in place by this game. UNH will prevail.xnodx

We also return a wealth of starters and backups with game experience on both sides of the ball. That's why i think this year's team will carry a new attitude rather than the youngsters who got frustrated and made dumb mistakes when things went bad last year.

Though i do like everyone overlooking us.

Tribe4SF
July 15th, 2009, 09:46 AM
We also return a wealth of starters and backups with game experience on both sides of the ball. That's why i think this year's team will carry a new attitude rather than the youngsters who got frustrated and made dumb mistakes when things went bad last year.

Though i do like everyone overlooking us.

Somebody always surprises in the CAA. Last year it was W&M making a playoff push. This year it could well be Hofstra.

Husky Alum
July 15th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Somebody always surprises in the CAA. Last year it was W&M making a playoff push. This year it could well be Hofstra.

It could be Northeastern.

Then again, Pork could be Kosher.

Neither will happen.

Uncle Buck
July 15th, 2009, 01:42 PM

Neither will happen.

Keep the faith my friend, keep the faith xthumbsupx

andy7171
July 15th, 2009, 01:45 PM

Neither will happen.

I have similar feelings. xlolx

Uncle Buck
July 15th, 2009, 01:48 PM
I have similar feelings. xlolx

Listen, we're all picked as the bottom feeders and the automatic wins. I don't mind rival fans feeling that way, just as long as the team doesn't!

Hopefully Cohen has the Dutch come out with a chip on their shoulder and something to prove.

Husky Alum
July 15th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Keep the faith my friend, keep the faith xthumbsupx

Yes, I'm anxiously awaiting the day they serve scallops wrapped in bacon at a bar mitzvah in my temple.

xthumbsupx

Uncle Buck
July 15th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Yes, I'm anxiously awaiting the day they serve scallops wrapped in bacon at a bar mitzvah in my temple.

xthumbsupx

I love scallps in bacon, you tell me when and i'll be there with my grill!

Now get your rose colored glasses on and open those eyes nice and wide to see how good things look. xnodx

Husky Alum
July 15th, 2009, 08:42 PM
I love scallps in bacon, you tell me when and i'll be there with my grill!

Now get your rose colored glasses on and open those eyes nice and wide to see how good things look. xnodx

Come on up for the NU-Hofstra game, and we can do scallops and bacon for the pregame tailgate!

Uncle Buck
July 16th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Come on up for the NU-Hofstra game, and we can do scallops and bacon for the pregame tailgate!

I'm up for that. And since the game is so late in the season, we may be battling for CAA North supremacy!