PDA

View Full Version : FCS NFL Prospects

JacksFan06
July 13th, 2009, 08:08 PM
FCS Players on the NFL.com 2010 Prospect list

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8112f2a3&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

QB
- John Skelton - Fordham

RB
- Joe Webb - Alabama-Birmingham

WR
- Andre Roberts - Citadel
- Armanti Edwards - Appalachian St

TE
- Nathan Overbay - Eastern Washington
- Scott Sicko - New Hampshire

G
- Vladimir Ducasse - Massachussets
- Casey Bender - South Dakota State xnodx

I am assuming the other positions will be revealed later.

TexasTerror
July 13th, 2009, 08:19 PM
RB
- Joe Webb - Alabama-Birmingham

Did he transfer from UAB?

Redbirdz
July 13th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Ryan Perrilioux, QB, Jacksonville State

RichH2
July 13th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Skelton over Randolph?? Surprising. Have seen both every yr, no knock on Skelton big strong kid but not nearly as complete a qb as Randolph

crusader11
July 14th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Skelton over Randolph?? Surprising. Have seen both every yr, no knock on Skelton big strong kid but not nearly as complete a qb as Randolph

Ditto. Guess the scouts are looking at potential, because right now Dom is clearly the better QB.

smallcollegefbfan
July 15th, 2009, 07:50 AM
I posted all the links from Gil Brandt in the FCS and Pros section.

He has Casey Knips and Derek Hardman listed as well from the OT preview he just put up.

JacksFan06
July 15th, 2009, 08:34 AM
I posted all the links from Gil Brandt in the FCS and Pros section.

He has Casey Knips and Derek Hardman listed as well from the OT preview he just put up.

Casey Knips is another SDSU player, looks like the Jacks will have a formidable OL this year.xthumbsupx

smallcollegefbfan
July 15th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Casey Knips is another SDSU player, looks like the Jacks will have a formidable OL this year.xthumbsupx

From what I saw last year I don't agree with the rankings of the OL this year. I think Knips has potential and could be good but he is not a draftable player, yet. He has the ideal physical tools but needs to get stronger and more consistent. Bender was hurt for most of the year and has the talent but has not been on the field. These young guys for these scouting services judge too much on H/W/S factors than they judge on what players have done. You can bump guys up slightly who have the ideal tools but it is always stupid to give draft grades to these physical specimens who haven't proven it yet. If anything these agents see these grades and pump up these players and it gets in their heads and they fall down the board. Hopefully Knips and Bender don't let these early projections get to them because they have the talent. I just happen to think it is early to proclaim these guys as draft picks. I have Knips as a 6th-7th round despite his 4th-5th round grades from the NFL scouting services.

One thing I want to mention is that last year there was not a single small schooler drafted, regardless of division, that was not at least honorable mention all-conference as a sophomore or junior and neither of these guys were all-conference. Just something I noticed last year and will be curious to see if that holds up.

jmufan999
July 15th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Ryan Perrilioux, QB, Jacksonville State

how?

in 2008, he was only 27th in passing efficiency (not exactly a CAA/SoCon type schedule either), 36th in completions, and 38th in passing yards/game. so i'm not sure exactly how he would qualify as an NFL prospect at this point. as a QB, your best shot is making it to the Senior Bowl. Rhett Bomar made it last year, but he threw for 3,300 yards.

Perriloux threw 2,300 yards... and played one more game than Bomar.

smallcollegefbfan
July 15th, 2009, 09:50 AM
how?

in 2008, he was only 27th in passing efficiency (not exactly a CAA/SoCon type schedule either), 36th in completions, and 38th in passing yards/game. so i'm not sure exactly how he would qualify as an NFL prospect at this point. as a QB, your best shot is making it to the Senior Bowl. Rhett Bomar made it last year, but he threw for 3,300 yards.

Perriloux threw 2,300 yards... and played one more game than Bomar.

Strong arm, good size, and LSU transfer. He is going to get looks because of that.

The problem with him is that he has the tools but no toolbox. RP will have to show he can be consistent, not throw INTs, and show he has matured. I know for a fact that most scouts don't think he is more than a pure free agent at this point but some of them will like him a lot because of the physical tools, despite his off field issues.

DuckDuckGriz
July 15th, 2009, 12:09 PM
I saw Montana WR Marc Mariani listed somewhere - in the same blurb as Armanti Edwards

JacksFan06
July 15th, 2009, 12:57 PM
From what I saw last year I don't agree with the rankings of the OL this year. I think Knips has potential and could be good but he is not a draftable player, yet. He has the ideal physical tools but needs to get stronger and more consistent. Bender was hurt for most of the year and has the talent but has not been on the field. These young guys for these scouting services judge too much on H/W/S factors than they judge on what players have done. You can bump guys up slightly who have the ideal tools but it is always stupid to give draft grades to these physical specimens who haven't proven it yet. If anything these agents see these grades and pump up these players and it gets in their heads and they fall down the board. Hopefully Knips and Bender don't let these early projections get to them because they have the talent. I just happen to think it is early to proclaim these guys as draft picks. I have Knips as a 6th-7th round despite his 4th-5th round grades from the NFL scouting services.

One thing I want to mention is that last year there was not a single small schooler drafted, regardless of division, that was not at least honorable mention all-conference as a sophomore or junior and neither of these guys were all-conference. Just something I noticed last year and will be curious to see if that holds up.

I think that's a good analyses. Both Bender and Knips have good size and are supposed to be talented, but I don't think any SDSU fans really realized that they would be getting NFL looks. Mainly because they were both in their first year of staring last year and both were banged up for most of the year.
Hopefully they will be healthy this year and be able to show everybody what they are about, it won't hurt that they will be blocking for RB Kyle Minnet.