Pictures of UR's new First Market Stadium Construction from last week

http://www.richmondspiders.com/view.gal?id=50429

Glad to see it coming along..

89Hen
July 10th, 2009, 12:09 PM
It's really happening! Ready for 2010?

andy7171
July 10th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Such a pretty campus. Oh, if I ever had done my homework in high school.

ur2k
July 10th, 2009, 01:30 PM
It's really happening! Ready for 2010?

That's the plan - to open in 2010 with this schedule:

9/18 Elon
9/25 Northeastern
10/2 Coastal Carolina
10/16 Towson
10/23 JMU
11/13 Delaware

89Hen
July 10th, 2009, 01:33 PM
That's the plan - to open in 2010 with this schedule:

9/18 Elon
9/25 Northeastern
10/2 Coastal Carolina
10/16 Towson
10/23 JMU
11/13 Delaware
Some teams that could bring some fans to Richmond. I certainly hope to be there. xpeacex

furman94
July 10th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Some teams that could bring some fans to Richmond. I certainly hope to be there. xpeacex

I doubt you'd get many traveling fans from CCU and maybe even Elon to Richmond; CCU and Elon normally dont travel well to Furman and we're all in the Carolinas.

apaladin
July 10th, 2009, 10:54 PM
I doubt you'd get many traveling fans from CCU and maybe even Elon to Richmond; CCU and Elon normally dont travel well to Furman and we're all in the Carolinas.

.....and CCU has a lot of alumni in Greenville.

ur2k
July 11th, 2009, 09:01 AM

Yeah, we've already been told that with the new (smaller) stadium that we shouldn't expect any public tickets to be available for the Delaware & JMU games.

phoenixphanatic21
July 11th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Yeah, we've already been told that with the new (smaller) stadium that we shouldn't expect any public tickets to be available for the Delaware & JMU games.

Well I'm glad there will be some available for the Elon game then.

AppMan
July 11th, 2009, 12:02 PM
phoenixohanatic21, Not intending to turn the thread off course, but just being curious about the tag line under the picture... Is it really that big of a deal for you guys to play Davidson in football?

BTW Richmond folks, I'm sure you are excited to see an on campus stadium finally becoming a reality.

LacesOut
July 11th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Well...........will it bring more and better recruits?? Will it bring more fans?? A couple of more National Championships???

JDC325
July 14th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Is there a rendering of the final project and was leaving or having a track around it a debate at all? I am just not a fan of a track around a football field. Good job though! Oh and how was it funded?

bostonspider
July 14th, 2009, 11:04 AM
http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/rich/graphics/aerialwithendzonestands-500.jpg

http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/rich/graphics/overall_FINALreduced-500.jpg

I do not think there was much discussion as to the track, as it was already there, and there is not really another good place on campus to put the track. Who knows, maybe in the future they will find a spot for the track and lower the field to add in more seats. The stadium will be home to the football team, both soccer teams as well as the track team. The stadium has been paid for completely by donations. It is to cost approximately $25M.

phoenixphanatic21
July 14th, 2009, 11:36 AM
phoenixohanatic21, Not intending to turn the thread off course, but just being curious about the tag line under the picture... Is it really that big of a deal for you guys to play Davidson in football?

BTW Richmond folks, I'm sure you are excited to see an on campus stadium finally becoming a reality.

No, but I'm doing that for every team we play this year, and since we are starting with Davidson, they are listed in the tag line. Week after that it'll be Presby, week after that it'll be Wake, and so on and so forth.

kdinva
July 14th, 2009, 12:32 PM
.........nor for the VMI game in 2011.;)

SpidersSportsEditor
July 15th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Well...........will it bring more and better recruits?? Will it bring more fans?? A couple of more National Championships???

Yes, Yes, and we can only hope. A lot of students don't even go to Richmond games because they are off campus and kids don't want to drive. Home field advantage will be much more significant in a smaller stadium that we can actually fill. If all goes well this year, we will be coming off of three straight successful seasons when it opens. Also, Grayson will be back and rumor has it that the next quarterback in line, RS Fr John Laub, has the best arm of anyone in the recent history of the program. Should be a very fun year to open the staidum, especially the JMU game.

Texcat34
July 27th, 2009, 03:52 PM

Phoenixohanatic21, yeah, what's the big deal with playing Davidson? We were all hoping that you will overlook us since you are playing Wake the following week. That will be our first game against a SoCon opponent in about 20 years, so take it easy on us, we're taking baby steps to eliminate the disgust with our football program within the SoCon. A lot of the former players are making the trip up to Burlington, it should be a good time, hopefully we will put up a fight, and I look forward to checking out your stadium.

jmufan999
July 28th, 2009, 09:07 AM
it's about time, City Stadium is a craphole. and to whoever said it, you're absolutely right... the Richmond campus is gorgeous. i spent a month there in HS for Governor's School for the P.A.

anyway, glad to see it's coming along. and yes it will ABSOLUTELY help recruiting tremendously. i'm sure it already is. all you have to do is show the kids some pics of what it will look like to get them excited. i'm happy for you guys. makes me excited for JMU to start our project at the end of this season.

GannonFan
July 28th, 2009, 09:12 AM
This will be great for Richmond - should be a crazy atmosphere having the stadium right on that campus and being as small as it will be. Wouldn't be shocked if they start a sell-out streak, considering the better location and diminished size. Will be really tough for visiting fans to get tickets outside of the allottment.

89Hen
July 28th, 2009, 09:32 AM
One nice thing about City Stadium was ease of parking. What will parking be like at the new one?

bostonspider
July 28th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Well I imagine that the large lot at the Robins Center will be emptied of student cars for the games (like they do for basketball). Also there are lots in front of the fraternities, and across from the stadium. Considering that generally accepted belief that people tend to carpool more for football than basketball for tailgating reasons, I think it should be ok.

Aerial of location of new Stadium
http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=37.581088~-77.538409&style=a&lvl=17&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

Similar shot of current City Stadium
http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=37.548924~-77.487393&style=a&lvl=17&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

ur2k
July 28th, 2009, 12:05 PM
One nice thing about City Stadium was ease of parking. What will parking be like at the new one?

I would imagine that the lots close to the stadium would be for Spider Club/Season ticket holders. There is a lot of parking dispersed throughout the campus and it really doesn't take more than 15 minutes to walk from one side to the other.

I was on campus yesterday and its nice to see the construction area starting to look like something other than a dirt pile. Some of the frame on the home side is starting to go up.

GeauxColonels
July 28th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Nice to see the Champs getting a proper stadium.

bostonspider
July 30th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Pics of the new stadium, showing the steel going up... It will be exciting to see this come together.

http://www.richmondspiders.com/view.gal?id=50862

elon77
July 30th, 2009, 10:00 AM

After Elon's run to the National Championship game this year, there will be plenty of Elon fans there to open their new stadium. I will be there, if I can find a place to park!xnodx

phoenixphanatic21
July 30th, 2009, 10:48 AM
After Elon's run to the National Championship game this year, there will be plenty of Elon fans there to open their new stadium. I will be there, if I can find a place to park!xnodx

I'll save ya a spot next to where I park. xthumbsupx

DuckDuckGriz
July 30th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Looking very nice. That season opener should be crazy - hoisting a NC flag, new stadium addition......

SIUallDay
July 30th, 2009, 01:54 PM
On a separate stadium construction tip, only 399 days, 4 hours, 5 min and 59 seconds until our new stadium opens!

SpidersSportsEditor
August 4th, 2009, 04:56 PM

Parking shouldn't be too bad and the tailgate environment should be much better. Students won't have to drive to games anymore, so that will increase student attendance and decrease the number of fans who need to park. The lot in front of fraternity row will probably be mixed between Spider Club and general parking and the Robins Center lot should hold most others. They started having day time fraternity parties for basketball games this winter as a trial run for football when the stadium opens. The lodges will be perfect for tailgate parties and since so many community members will be coming to campus, we can only hope the administration will allow the frats to take advantage of these buildings. Only problem I see would be getting onto campus, since the entrances are one lane narrow, windy roads, but I hear they are adding another entrance from River Road, making 5 total ways to get in, so if they direct traffic well, it should be fine.

SFspidur
September 16th, 2009, 09:58 PM
UR announced today that First Market Stadium will be renamed E. Claiborne Robins Stadium upon completion of the project and reopening in September 2010.

http://www.richmondspiders.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/091609aad.html

For those who don't know, Robins (prior to his passing in 1995), his family, and his family's foundation have donated nearly $200 million to UR over the past 40 years. This year in fact marks the 40th anniversary of Robins' transformative $50 million gift that ranked as the largest gift from an individual to a college or university at that time and saved UR from a financial crisis that had the university on the brink of becoming a public institution. A number of buildings on campus, including the Robins Center, home of Spider basketball, carry his family's name.

Photos of the ongoing construction continue to be posted on the official UR site, although it's been several weeks since the last update:

http://www.richmondspiders.com/facilities/stadium-updates.html

South Carolina Duke
September 16th, 2009, 10:05 PM

For folks like you and me, the best bet will be at the Capital Ale House!

Personally I thought parking at the old stadium wasn't that great.

Cocky
September 17th, 2009, 08:07 AM
http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/rich/graphics/aerialwithendzonestands-500.jpg

http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/rich/graphics/overall_FINALreduced-500.jpg

I do not think there was much discussion as to the track, as it was already there, and there is not really another good place on campus to put the track. Who knows, maybe in the future they will find a spot for the track and lower the field to add in more seats. The stadium will be home to the football team, both soccer teams as well as the track team. The stadium has been paid for completely by donations. It is to cost approximately $25M.

We are spending 60+ Million for an upgrade and UR is spending 25 on a new stadium? Maybe this is why the private sector should be running things instead of the government.

bostonspider
September 17th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Here is a new image of the main gate to the new Robins Stadium.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/rich/sports/m-footbl/auto_widephoto/3560747.jpeg

elon77
September 17th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Here is a new image of the main gate to the new Robins Stadium.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/rich/sports/m-footbl/auto_widephoto/3560747.jpeg

The stadium looks alot like Elon.

GoDukes86
September 17th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Nice footers!

DFW HOYA
September 17th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Congratulations on the naming gift and the progress. Today is the 4th anniversary of the, ahem, debut of Georgetown's Multi-Sport Facility. UR fans are in for a surprise in November, as it looks nothing like the design, I'm afraid.

bostonspider
September 17th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Here is a collage of the progress through the end of August. Hope to see some new pictures from UR soon.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2593/3929420396_583e26502b_o.jpg

GannonFan
September 17th, 2009, 11:48 AM
As with everything else on Richmond's campus, it looks like it will be gorgeous. Easily one of the best 4-5 campuses in the nation.

Bam
September 17th, 2009, 12:06 PM
As with everything else on Richmond's campus, it looks like it will be gorgeous. Easily one of the best 4-5 campuses in the nation.

Looks good. Before I die maybe EKU can make a trip there & win for the Bamster or at least make it interesting.xmadx

BDKJMU
September 17th, 2009, 12:10 PM
We are spending 60+ Million for an upgrade and UR is spending 25 on a new stadium? Maybe this is why the private sector should be running things instead of the government.

JMU is spending a reported 62 million on their stadium expansion/reovation.

Its because UR is building a HS sized stadium (from what I've read only 8,700 capacity). It will probably be the most beautiful UNDER 10k I-AA stadium in the country though.

Eight Legger
September 17th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Didn't realize there were so many high schools in Harrisonburg that have seating for 9,000 people.

SFspidur
September 17th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Here's an uncropped version of that entrance gate rendering:

http://i26.tinypic.com/2s97lle.jpg

ElonPride
September 17th, 2009, 12:37 PM

I beleive Elon's 2nd largest Alumi chapter is in Richmond, the largest being in DC.

I've attended two Elon games at Furman, and it looked like we easily had around 1500. A few years ago, the school chartered 10 buses for students to make the trip!!

jmufan999
September 17th, 2009, 12:53 PM
i look forward to not having to go to that craphole of a stadium you used to play in. city stadium, i guess it's called. ugh...

this one looks like it will be great, congrats.

TwinTownBisonFan
September 17th, 2009, 01:34 PM
sorry if i missed this, what's the capacity slated at for this place?

it looks beautiful - as a Twins fan, I'm finally getting how geeked people get for the own new place to play... this looks like a great place and very befitting UR

SFspidur
September 17th, 2009, 01:45 PM
8,700. In order to placate the neighbors, it was kept to the same capacity as the Robins Center.

A lot of Spider fans are of course optimistic that an expansion will be possible, but the university did what it needed to do to get football back on campus. We'll see what the future holds.

TwinTownBisonFan
September 17th, 2009, 01:58 PM
8,700. In order to placate the neighbors, it was kept to the same capacity as the Robins Center.

A lot of Spider fans are of course optimistic that an expansion will be possible, but the university did what it needed to do to get football back on campus. We'll see what the future holds.

i can totally see that... great strategy by the school.

ur2k
September 18th, 2009, 03:56 PM
i look forward to not having to go to that craphole of a stadium you used to play in. city stadium, i guess it's called. ugh...

this one looks like it will be great, congrats.

That craphole is home for one more year.

BDKJMU
September 18th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Didn't realize there were so many high schools in Harrisonburg that have seating for 9,000 people.

There are plenty of HS stadiums around the country that seat 8-10k.