PDA

View Full Version : Former GRIZ CB, Jimmy Wilson verdict is in

mtgrizfan4life
July 9th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Innocent. I do not have a link for this yet. According to one of the Missoula stations. Jimmy Wilson was found innocent in his trial. It was determined to be self defense. Jimmy better learn from this and Thank GOD for the best possible outcome.

Here to wishing Jimmy the best. Take advantage of a 2nd chance Jimmy. :thumb:

GreatAppSt
July 9th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Will he rejoin the team?

mtgrizfan4life
July 9th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Will he rejoin the team?

I doubt it. His reputation prior to the incident was slowly taking a turn for the worse. That aside. we have too many close minded fans that would be very upset over him coming back. It would be a PR nightmare for the GRIZ.

Here is a link, hope it works.

http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2009/07/09/news/local/news001.txt

mtgrizfan4life
July 9th, 2009, 11:42 PM
For those wanting interesting debate online. Go check out EGRIZ.com, this subject is about to get interesting. The online warfare has started tonight. Look for the Jimmy Wilson thread similar to this one.

Green26
July 10th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Wilson has used up his 5 years, so would have to petition the ncaa to get his 4th year back. One would think he'd have a good argument. Spending 2 years in jail for a charge that he won in 2 trials, one an acquittal (i.e. 12-0 for acquittal) and the other a hung jury (11-1 for acquittal). Wilson, who is black, was acquitted by a jury with 2 blacks on it, and had the 11-1 vote for acquittal in front of an all-white jury.

I suppose Wilson might be able to play NAIA this fall, as there rules are more flexible.

I assume Wilson won't return to UM, but I think the UM coaches would help him find a place to play. The coaches liked him.

This statement is not true: "His reputation prior to the incident was slowly taking a turn for the worse." Wilson had never been arrested or in any serious trouble in Missoula. His reputation was fine. However, after the murder arrest, there were some people who trashed him on the Internet. My belief is that most of what was said about him was not true. I know of several of the people trashing on the Internet, and know why they have an axe to grind. Wilson was presumably not an angel, but he was generally liked by the coaches and those in the athletic department.

I hope he gets a chance to play another year. He was going into an all-american year when this incident occurred. He had NFL potential. He's apparently been lifting and working out consistently while in jail. I could see him getting an NFL shot eventually.

I wish him good luck. The LA prosecutor put him through alot. I can't imagine there was a reason to try him agan, after the 11-1 vote for acquittal in the first trial.

Green26
July 10th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Wilson wants to discuss playing for the Griz again. The UM athletic director has not ruled that out. In fact, he's previously been in touch with the ncaa regarding getting Wilson another year to play his 4th year.

http://www.keci.com/Wilson--I-want-to-discuss-playing-again/4773979

coover
July 10th, 2009, 03:21 AM
Folks are rarely, in fact, virtually never found "innocent" in court. In fact, if this young man was aquitted, he was found "Not Guilty", which doesn't mean innocent, it means that guilt could not be proved. He might have been guilty, but the state (or the county or the city) could not prove it.

Frankly, I hope he was innocent. But it is not the courts job to determine that.

uofmman1122
July 10th, 2009, 05:59 AM
He was a beast in 2006.

I'm certainly not against giving him a second chance.

mtgrizfan4life
July 10th, 2009, 09:42 AM
I am open to him finishing out his career with the GRIZ. Maybe you and I see things differently as for his reputation within in Missoula. There were some GRIZ fans and community members that had seen him hanging with some questionable characters, and doing some questionable things. True or not, I do not know. I do know his name and reputation were cause for concern and questioning at that time. So in my opinion, that was his reputation taking a hit and turn for the worse. I did not say he was taking a turn for a worse. Your average player does not get mentioned linked to what he was being linked to.

It could have been as simple as him choosing to be around the wrong people, but unfortunately people seeing him as guilty by association. I have no idea how any one person thinks or what triggers people to automatically assume someone is bad, guilty, etc. I for one have always supported Jimmy, and have been of the mindset to let things work out with time.

I am not accusing Jimmy of anything and am glad he is not guilty. However, do feel his reputation and character unfortunately took a turn for the worse with a few too many fans and citizens. Once again, I have no idea what was or is true and what is not true.

As far as I am concerned, he is was found "not guilty" and rest of rumors cannot be proven. He deserves to be given a fair shake, and return to the team and school to get his degree. I hope the university helps him move forward in his life after this nightmare.

Green26
July 10th, 2009, 10:05 AM
MtGrizFan, you are mistaken. There was nothing on the Internet about Wilson prior to his arrest in CA. In fact, I have never even seen anything on the Internet about his supposedly hanging with questionable characters. His friends were other football players and that's who he hung out with. After his arrest, a handful or two of people came out of the woodwork, to trash him and spread rumors.

mtgrizfan4life
July 10th, 2009, 10:24 AM
The result of him being involved in this nightmare caused a few people to mention possible activity prior to this happening. It did surface after the incident though. I only know one of the players he hung with, and that player was kicked off the team, and has since faced some legal troubles himself.

I am not going to have this turn into a who is right or wrong thing. This combined with rumors of other things have taken shot to his reputation in some people's eyes and minds. If it did not, the we would not be questioning this or talking about it.

It is a matter of you and I seeing things differently. For me, I feel publicly he took a hit. Personally, I support him and hope the public has an open mind to his return and getting his life back. If you feel, his image and reputation did not or has not taken hit, fine, I respect that.

You or I have no way of knowing for sure what he or any player does off the field unless we by chance see whatever with our own eyes. Even then, some people will believe a story, others will not. I think that is pretty true with anyone in life. Being I did not personally experience negative regarding Jimmy, I believe these things have been nothing more than rumors. Unfortunately for him, it has effected the way some people within the community view him.

Ironic thing is, you and I both want what is best for him, and wish him the best. We just are viewing the outcome to date differently within the public eye.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
July 10th, 2009, 10:49 AM
For those wanting interesting debate online. Go check out EGRIZ.com, this subject is about to get interesting. The online warfare has started tonight. Look for the Jimmy Wilson thread similar to this one.

Thanks for the warning, I'll try to avoid that thread :D

Green26
July 10th, 2009, 10:50 AM
MtGrizFan, now it looks like you are saying what I have been saying all along, i.e. that there was nothing public about Wilson's activities and reputation BEFORE his arrest. AFTER his arrest, there were comments about his activities/behavior. Note the particular words you used in your earlier and later posts. Perhaps the initial quotes weren't what you meant to say, but that is what you said. We may be in basic agreement on this. Personally, I'd like to see him return to play for UM, but I'm not so sure that will work out. Wilson has suffered greatly for what appears to have been a situation where he went to assist his aunt, who had just been beaten up (and urinated on) by the boyfriend, then then the boyfriend came after Wilson with an assault rifle, Wilson acted in self-defense, and the boyfriend was killed. I assume this must have been what the jury believed.

mtgrizfan4life
July 10th, 2009, 11:05 AM
The 1st trial was 11-1 of not guilty. The last trial 12-0. I wonder how other people would have handled a situation like this, or what they would have done? Hard for me to imagine anyone not doing anything for a loved one and standing by and just let things like that happen. Most people would have reacted in some form.

Jimmy was only guilty of being in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong person.

catbob
July 10th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Accusations are as good as convictions (stole that line from GrizLaw he worded it better than I tried) in most people's eyes. In my own words I said that generally society takes the "guilty until proven innocent" viewpoint, and then usually doesn't even change that when they are proven not guilty.

I seriously doubt Wilson will be back playing at UM, though he has every right and should be allowed to. There would be too much public outrage.

mtgrizfan4life
July 10th, 2009, 06:30 PM
His chances would be much better had it not been for recent history of problems by other players. Also the GRIZ are quite loaded at DB this year. Trumaine Johnson, Andrew Swink, and Keith Thompson were our top 3 CB's last year and return this year. Also the younger Freshmen and Sophomores are quite talented.

uofmman1122
July 11th, 2009, 03:12 AM
His chances would be much better had it not been for recent history of problems by other players. Also the GRIZ are quite loaded at DB this year. Trumaine Johnson, Andrew Swink, and Keith Thompson were our top 3 CB's last year and return this year. Also the younger Freshmen and Sophomores are quite talented.With all due respect to Swink and Thompson, if Wilson could come back and play like he did in 2006, I'd take him over either of them in a heartbeat. He was just that good.

But it's probably a moot point, anyways. For all we know, he probably wouldn't be as good if he came back.

mtgrizfan4life
July 11th, 2009, 12:07 PM
I will be surprised if he plays again.

uofmman1122
July 11th, 2009, 08:33 PM
I will be surprised if he plays again.As would I, but like I said, I'm not against the idea of letting him try again.

Native
July 13th, 2009, 09:54 AM
The 1st trial was 11-1 of not guilty. The last trial 12-0. I wonder how other people would have handled a situation like this, or what they would have done? Hard for me to imagine anyone not doing anything for a loved one and standing by and just let things like that happen. Most people would have reacted in some form.

Jimmy was only guilty of being in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong person.

Winning 11-1 and 12-0 in Lancaster is pretty convincing to me!

Congrats to Jimmy and the Griz nation.

Wilson was seen recently in San Diego. He says he is trying to get back into the program and play again at Montana. ...and why not?

Jimmy has gained a significant amount of weight and has a lot of work to do.

Ronbo
July 13th, 2009, 10:05 AM
I heard he continued to weight train during his incarceration. He has probably bulked up. If Jimmy can't get NCAA clearance then the NAIA is a good option. At least he'd get to play his senior season and get a degree.

Native
July 13th, 2009, 10:12 AM
I heard he continued to weight train during his incarceration. He has probably bulked up. If Jimmy can't get NCAA clearance then the NAIA is a good option. At least he'd get to play his senior season and get a degree.

Some additional muscle mass would be good for Jimmy, but speed is one of his greatest assets. He woudn't want to lose a step, and that may be the hardest performance characteristic to regain. Wilson is reported to have been wearing bulky clothes, so it is unclear how much of the increased mass was muscle.