PDA

View Full Version : Historical Do-Over 2.0

89Hen
July 9th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Was just thinking on the other thread, are there any games that came down to a single play that cost you the game that you could reverse? Most obvious one has to be the Miracle on the Mountain.

For Delaware there are several.

1997 McNeese in the semis: No illegal procedure call on 4th down and the game was over.

2002 there were TWO games lost on a kick. Blocked chip shot FG at Richmond and TWO missed (short) FG's in OT against URI. An 8-4 season may have been enough to get in the playoffs that year.

2004 in Harisonburg: Delaware out stats the Dukes all day and gets beat on a punt return for a TD. THEN proceeds to throw the ball from an empty backfield three consecutive times from the 3 yard line (after unneccesarily spiking the ball on first down and running at will all day). ANY one of those four plays keeps UD from home field advantage in the playoffs which led to...

2004 @ W&M in the quarters: With a 21 point lead UD throws a pickle for a TD to open the fourth quarter and open the flood gates in one of the best comebacks in the playoffs. I still think if they just run the ball every time they touched it, the Tribe would have NEVER been able to get more than 14 points the rest of the way.

bluehenbillk
July 9th, 2009, 02:50 PM
1997 McNeese in the semis: No illegal procedure call on 4th down and the game was over.

Ugh, Dominic Banks & the "Knock it Down" game....

Appfan_in_CAAland
July 9th, 2009, 03:07 PM
I'll tell you, I can think of a couple of plays from 2007 that Michigan and JMU would like to do over against App.

McNeese72
July 9th, 2009, 03:14 PM
I can think of about three plays in McNeese 1997 National Championship game with Youngstown.

One of them, most people would name but there were two others that were critical.

The one that everybody would point to is the dropped TD pass by our TE who was wide open in the endzone.

But there were two other critical plays. We were driving the ball on the ground very well in the 4th quarter right before YSU drive that scored the winning TD, when for some reason we decided to throw a pass that was intercepted by YSU that changed the momentum in the game.

The other play was on YSU's TD drive when LB Charles Ayro made a tackle on a 3rd or 4th down play (don't remember which) that would have killed the drive but got part of the face mask on the tackle resulting a penalty that extended the drive.

Change any of those plays and I think we win the game.

One other play in a McNeese game was the fumble near the end of the 4th quarter of the 1980 Independence Bowl with Southern Miss. It was on a dive play by a fullback who hadn't fumbled the ball all season. Without the fumble, Southern Miss wouldn't have scored a touchdown with seconds left on a fourth down play to take a 16-14 win.

There are other plays in our history that could have changed games but those plays in those two games stick out in my mind.

Doc

bostonspider
July 9th, 2009, 03:50 PM
For UR, I think it was the 2006 game versus UD when Josh Vaugn fumbled after a 78 yard run, the ball hits the pylon and UD gets a touchback. UD won 28-24 on a last minute TD, but if Vaughn holds onto that ball and UR scores there, I don't think UD makes a comeback. UR basically collapsed from here and the promising 5-1 start ended up a disapointing 6-5 finish.

WrenFGun
July 9th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Mike Perkins doesn't fall down in 2007 against UNI, and UNH is probably in the quarters again. Of course, Perkins was only on the field in that spot because of an injury to Hugo Souza earlier in the game.

Keith LeVan catches a wide-open pitch from Ricky Santos in 2005 and UNH probably moves to the semis against UNI.

R.J. Toman doesn't overthrow Mike Boyle over the middle in the 2008 playoffs against UNI, and we're in range to tie/win the game.

Take a UNI game and I can give you an example, clearly. Yuck.

813Jag
July 9th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Here are few for Southern that will always irk me:

1994 at Nicholls St. the Jags go for the winning score on a QB sneak. Instead of a snap count the QB would touch the center to let him know he was ready for the ball. QB proceeds to bump (on accident) the center who snaps the ball. I watched the Nicholls LB come all the way AROUND the pile untouched to fall on the ball.

1998 vs. FAMU with 4th and inches from the one, Southern goes for the field goal to lead 48-47. The Rattlers take the short kickoff and go about 35 yards for the winning FG.

1999 at FAMU would have not even had the team make the trip. xlolx

2007 at UAPB the Jags block the apparent winning field goal and get penalized for excessive celebration. the Lions win on a closer field goal. xmadx

89Hen
July 9th, 2009, 04:27 PM
2007 at UAPB the Jags block the apparent winning field goal and get penalized for excessive celebration. the Lions win on a closer field goal. xmadx
NO! xeekx xeekx xeekx That had to be the worst ending to a football game I've ever heard. xoopsx xnonono2x xoopsx

JagHammer
July 9th, 2009, 04:30 PM
NO! xeekx xeekx xeekx That had to be the worst ending to a football game I've ever heard. xoopsx xnonono2x xoopsx

I was madder than Satan's piss after that one....xmadxxnonono2x

813Jag
July 9th, 2009, 04:31 PM
yes it was. xnonono2x Made me mad just typing it.

89Hen
July 9th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Not that I want you guys to suffer, but please tell me there's a video or at least audio of that somewhere out in cyberspace.

blueballs
July 9th, 2009, 04:37 PM
For GSU fans the most obvious one has to be the Raymond Gross fumble inside the Furman 10 yard line with about a minute left in the 1988 title game. GSU drove the length of the field and coughed up the ball driving in for the winning score.

Without that fumble the GSU dynasty of the 1980's could have won a three-peat (88-90) and 5 titles (85-86, 88-90) in 6 years.

The other one that comes to mind immediately is the fourth and 13 converted by WKU in the 2002 semifinals. GSU had scored with about 4 minutes left to take the lead after a frenzied second half comeback and had WKU pinned deep with a fourth and 13 into the wind with about two and a half minutes to go. WKU completed a flat pass to FB Jeremi Johnson (what a ballsy call!!!) who rumbled for 20+ yards and the first down to keep the drive alive. WKU scored with about 30 seconds left to win.

WKU went on to defeat McNeese convincingly the next week for the title.

If those two plays go in the Eagles' favor GSU could have 8 titles instead of 6.

89Hen
July 9th, 2009, 04:38 PM
I forgot that Furman also has "the slip". xoopsx

jmufan999
July 9th, 2009, 04:40 PM
I'll tell you, I can think of a couple of plays from 2007 that Michigan and JMU would like to do over against App.

yeah that was one of the toughest losses i've ever experienced.... stupid RB (forget who... Sullivan maybe?) coughs up the ball right before a chip shot FG (from about the 5-ish yard line) that would have won the game.... never would have been a 3-peat, and could have been a 2-2 tie between JMU and App State for national titles. before someone gets all smart and says "coulda-woulda-shoulda", don't blame me, i'm just responding to the thread question.

some stats from the game:
first downs: JMU 25, ASU 15
total yards: JMU 436, ASU 330
we had 2 fewer penalties
time of possession: JMU 40:27, ASU 19:33 (SERIOUSLY???? AND WE LOSE THIS GAME???)

but the one key stat that did it all...
turnovers: JMU 3, ASU 2

you turn the ball over, you lose. period. the better team is sometimes the ones that makes the fewest mistakes, and they were the best team that day.

813Jag
July 9th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Not that I want you guys to suffer, but please tell me there's a video or at least audio of that somewhere out in cyberspace.
I seriously hope not. That needs to stay buried in Pine Bluff, Ark.

Silenoz
July 9th, 2009, 04:46 PM
1. Delaware's long touchdown pass to the corner of the endzone in the first round in 1993. Still can't believe that actually happened

2. Dan Carpenter, arguably the best kicker in the history of I-AA missing that FG against Wofford. That team was way too good to be losing in the first round.

3. Personal foul in the 2004 title game where Kerry Mullan decked the the QB Rascatti in the face on 3rd (or was it 4th?) down, practically handing them a touchdown. That play sealed the game.

I cannot recall any specific plays from the GSU game

UNIFanSince1983
July 9th, 2009, 04:59 PM
2007 - Receiver fumbles and Delaware returns it for a touchdown. Doesn't guarantee a victory, but I think the momentum would have been different and we would have had a better shot.

2005 - Eric Sanders fumble against App State returned for a touchdown. May have cost us a National Championship.

There are probably plenty more, but those were just the two off the top of my head.

93henfan
July 9th, 2009, 07:05 PM

Can't find a damn thing on Youtube about the game itself, but I can link you to about 387 different clips of the bands playing at the game.

McNeese75
July 9th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Ok, where are the Rabbit fans to talk about a certain play at the end of the 3OT game last year xwhistlex

Saint3333
July 9th, 2009, 09:16 PM
I forgot that Furman also has "the slip". xoopsx

Let's just say any time Furman enters the 10 yard line in KBS's south endzone they wish there's a do over. Some say it's haunted by ghosts, I guess all those were present last Halloween.xsmiley_wix

AlphaSigMD
July 9th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Mine would have to be the final play during overtime in the 2000 National Semi's between App State and Montana. xbawlingxxmadxxbawlingxxmadxxbawlingxxmadx

Big Dawg
July 10th, 2009, 03:41 AM
1999 at FAMU would have not even had the team make the trip. xlolx

xlolxxlolxxlolx

"Somebody's gonna get embarrassed" SU coach Pete Richardson xlolx

OhioHen
July 10th, 2009, 05:56 AM
For Delaware there are several.

1982 National Championship Game. Hens have a blocked FG returned by EKU for a touchdown. Final Score 17-14 Colonels. Make that FG and it ends 17-10 Hens. xbawlingx

813Jag
July 10th, 2009, 07:03 AM
xlolxxlolxxlolx

"Somebody's gonna get embarrassed" SU coach Pete Richardson xlolx
don't remind me of that statement. He did tell the truth. xlolx That was the first and last time he ran his mouth before a game. xnonono2x

AshevilleApp2
July 10th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Mine would have to be the final play during overtime in the 2000 National Semi's between App State and Montana. xbawlingxxmadxxbawlingxxmadxxbawlingxxmadx

I'll second that one.

I'll also add the last 6-7 minutes of the game at Western in 2004. App had scored on an interception to take an 11 point lead. (Side note: I turned around and announced to the Western crown that "the Jug is going back to Boone.") Things went downhill from there and the Catamounts won late.

ur2k
July 10th, 2009, 08:06 AM
F'in Scotty McGee.

I'd also like to have a do-over of the 4th down in the 4th Q in the playoff game v Furman in 2005.

813Jag
July 10th, 2009, 08:18 AM
not a video but here's a discussion (http://www.tspnsports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64886) of what happened from some folks who were there.

89Hen
July 10th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Can't find a damn thing on Youtube about the game itself, but I can link you to about 387 different clips of the bands playing at the game.

xlolx Yeah, I looked too and that's all I found.

mcveyrl
July 10th, 2009, 08:33 AM
yeah that was one of the toughest losses i've ever experienced.... stupid RB (forget who... Sullivan maybe?) coughs up the ball right before a chip shot FG (from about the 5-ish yard line) that would have won the game.... never would have been a 3-peat, and could have been a 2-2 tie between JMU and App State for national titles. before someone gets all smart and says "coulda-woulda-shoulda", don't blame me, i'm just responding to the thread question.

some stats from the game:
first downs: JMU 25, ASU 15
total yards: JMU 436, ASU 330
we had 2 fewer penalties
time of possession: JMU 40:27, ASU 19:33 (SERIOUSLY???? AND WE LOSE THIS GAME???)

but the one key stat that did it all...
turnovers: JMU 3, ASU 2

you turn the ball over, you lose. period. the better team is sometimes the ones that makes the fewest mistakes, and they were the best team that day.

This is the most obvious one. BTW, it's not all Sullivan's fault. I don't think the handoff was very good (many pictures show that he didn't have the ball securely when he hit the line) and he got popped something awful too.

WUTNDITWAA
July 10th, 2009, 08:43 AM
The first two offensive series against Georgia Southern in 2007. That set the tone for what turned out to be a craptastic day.

Husky Alum
July 10th, 2009, 09:24 AM
For NU - probably two things.

NU-UNH, 1989 season. We're 3-1, and I think ranked at the time, allowed only 28 points in our first 4 games. We're playing UNH on Columbus Day weekend at Parsons, and we're up 28-3 late in the first half or in the third quarter. We have the ball first and goal from the 2, don't score, lose the game late 31-28. We don't win a game the rest of the season, and the loss took the wind out of our sails.

Second - NU-Fordham NCAA Playoffs in 2002. I want a do-over on that game! We had a bunch of injuries and didn't play well at all. Believe it or not we had a great crowd for the game, and had we won, we were in line to host another game as well.

FCS Go!
July 10th, 2009, 10:25 AM
1. Delaware's long touchdown pass to the corner of the endzone in the first round in 1993. Still can't believe that actually happened

2. Dan Carpenter, arguably the best kicker in the history of I-AA missing that FG against Wofford. That team was way too good to be losing in the first round.

3. Personal foul in the 2004 title game where Kerry Mullan decked the the QB Rascatti in the face on 3rd (or was it 4th?) down, practically handing them a touchdown. That play sealed the game.

I cannot recall any specific plays from the GSU game

I think there was a 3rd or 4th qtr long run (50 yards?) by AP that finished off the Griz comeback. IIRC GSU has done very little on offense at that point in the 2nd half and didn't do much after either.

blueballs
July 10th, 2009, 11:17 AM
I think there was a 3rd or 4th qtr long run (50 yards?) by AP that finished off the Griz comeback. IIRC GSU has done very little on offense at that point in the 2nd half and didn't do much after either.

That is correct... once the monsoon started the GSU offense ground to a halt except for the "Son of The Run."

IIRC you Montana folks should rue the two red zone turnovers you had in that game.

Miller threw the first pick to Michael Youngblood around the GSU 10 in the first quarter (stupid pass, I don't he ever saw the LB just sitting down in coverage) and then the end zone interception of Edwards by Ryan Hadden (a tremendous pick) MOL sealed the deal in the last minute.

unipanthers8907
July 10th, 2009, 11:48 AM
2007 - Receiver fumbles and Delaware returns it for a touchdown. Doesn't guarantee a victory, but I think the momentum would have been different and we would have had a better shot.

2005 - Eric Sanders fumble against App State returned for a touchdown. May have cost us a National Championship.

There are probably plenty more, but those were just the two off the top of my head.

Totally agree with both of these, I think Victor Williams was the one who fumbled against Delaware, that was a huge momentum swing.

CrunchGriz
July 10th, 2009, 12:43 PM

The sickening part of this one for me was watching the replay. As AP went through the hole, Montana safety Dave DeCoite came screaming up to the line to make the tackle, but he was just to the side of the hole AP went through. He tried to slam on the brakes and give chase (and he was fast enough to have run him down) and his feet went right out from under him and he was down and out of the play (many of you will recall how chewed up that field was that day).

Even holding him to a twenty-yard gain on that carry could have made a world of difference in that game.

blueballs
July 10th, 2009, 01:28 PM
The sickening part of this one for me was watching the replay. As AP went through the hole, Montana safety Dave DeCoite came screaming up to the line to make the tackle, but he was just to the side of the hole AP went through. He tried to slam on the brakes and give chase (and he was fast enough to have run him down) and his feet went right out from under him and he was down and out of the play (many of you will recall how chewed up that field was that day).

Even holding him to a twenty-yard gain on that carry could have made a world of difference in that game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZnzHhcvLd0

DeCoite was #4, right?

Peterson made two really nice cuts on the play, the first cut right in the hole that made the UM safety sit down and really set up the tackle's block on the LB and then the cut to the sideline in the secondary.

Uncle Buck
July 10th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Back in '05 i believe, late in the season UNH was ranked pretty high at 2 or 3 and we had them beat. With little to no time left on the clock, we're down 29-26 and the officials ruled that our RB fumbled the ball before crossing the goaline. UNH recovered in the endzone for a touchback, we lose the game by three.

We win out the last two games to finish at 7-4, that fumble could have cost us 8-3 and a shot at the playoffs. Man that was a miserable loss. To top it off, we had to have about 6 or 7 turnovers and still should have won. Gave it away.

Seven Would Be Nice
July 10th, 2009, 03:02 PM
No one has mentioned Furman and ASU 2002??

"Go for two"

That has to be at the top of this list for the hilarious factor.

edit: didn't read the full opening sentence... haha... still a good one to post!!

coover
July 10th, 2009, 03:18 PM
I am surprised no one has mentioned the Cal Poly - U Wisconsin game last year where the Cal Poly PAT kicker missed two PATs during the game. After 60 minutes, the score was tied 36 - 36. Wisconsin went on the win the game in overtime 42 - 39.

If the Cal Poly kicker had made either one of the two PATs he missed, Poly would have won the game in regulation time. And that would have been a huge upset.

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 10th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Blueballs mentioned the top GSU plays, so I won't mention those.

Other than those, my top do-over would be the final play against Furman in 2007. If we could have kicked that f^&*ing 32 yard field goal, we would have been Socon champs and would have gotten the autobid and some good momentum to go into 2008 with. I don't know what VanGoob did, but he somehow messed up our kicking game and even this past year I don't think it was back to normal.

Also, I'd take away the fumble on the second half kickoff in the 2001 semifinal against Furman...that seemed to deflate our team. No guarantee of a win but I think things would have gone differently.