PDA

View Full Version : Looming upsets this year?

DOME
July 9th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Is anyone ready to go out on a limb and predict their team to 'upset' a FBS squad in the early games this fall?
I can't help but hope for a good showing out of the Panters as they open the season against U of Iowa. They supposedly have a stud tailback so we'll have to see how UNI's line can hold him.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
July 9th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Idaho St has a shot over Arizona St. xsmiley_wix

GannonFan
July 9th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Probably whoever plays UNI in the playoffs (just teasing!!!! :p:p:p:p )

JoshUCA
July 9th, 2009, 11:11 AM
It all depends on how our offense gels before the season starts, but I could see UCA beating WKU. I would say we will beat Hawaii, but I think the travel out there will be really hard for the team, plus the game won't start until Midnight our time!

McNeese75
July 9th, 2009, 11:24 AM
McNeese over Tulane????? Who knows but I will not offer my opinion until after our trip to Boone xlolx

89Hen
July 9th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Probably whoever plays UNI in the playoffs (just teasing!!!! :p:p:p:p )
Unless it's UNH. xwhistlex

TexasTerror
July 9th, 2009, 11:59 AM
McNeese over Tulane????? Who knows but I will not offer my opinion until after our trip to Boone xlolx

I would enjoy that one almost as much as the Pokes' win over ULL. I need to check my schedule to see if I can attend. I'm sure I know some Greenies that can get me in for free. ;) The other big questions - will Pokes outdraw Wave fans? If so, by how much? And what will the Tulane reaction be if they were to lose to an FCS opponent?

wapiti
July 9th, 2009, 12:06 PM

It all depends on how our offense gels before the season starts, but I could see UCA beating WKU. I would say we will beat Hawaii, but I think the travel out there will be really hard for the team, plus the game won't start until Midnight our time!

I think griz fan in UT is trying to be facetious. :)

and JoshUCA is underestimating Hawaii. Hawaii beat Weber State last year 38 - 17 and has a record of 83 - 48 since 1999. UCA does not have much of a chance to beat the Warriors, but UCA should be able to score 10 to 20 on them. There best chance to win would be to get some lucky turnovers.

UNHWildCats
July 9th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Unless it's UNH. xwhistlex
xbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawl ingxxbawlingx

jmufan999
July 9th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Nova's got a shot vs. Temple. if anyone is playing Army, that's a possibility. but remember, there are usually 0-2 upsets PER YEAR, so people that are predicting 5+ (i've seen this on other threads) are not in touch with reality.

g-webb1994
July 9th, 2009, 01:01 PM
If Furman is healthy, look out for them in that late year game at Awwwburn. The Plainsmen, War Eagles, Tigers, whatever, screwed the pooch big time with their coaching hire. Awwwburn could be sitting with only two wins or so when the Paladins show up.

I expect G-W to play well at NC State, but not as close as at GT last year since that opened some ACC eyes. As for our game at Buffalo in October, that could be ugly.

TheBisonator
July 9th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Now that NDSU is a strong 2-deep in QBs with the addition of Dante Perez, and the fact that Iowa State is coming off a 3-9 season with a new head coach, I'd give the Bison a shot in Ames on 9/3.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
July 9th, 2009, 01:30 PM
I think griz fan in UT is trying to be facetious. :)

Not me, I'm innocent mr.! xwhistlex:D

PaladinFan
July 9th, 2009, 02:46 PM
If Furman is healthy, look out for them in that late year game at Awwwburn. The Plainsmen, War Eagles, Tigers, whatever, screwed the pooch big time with their coaching hire. Awwwburn could be sitting with only two wins or so when the Paladins show up.

I expect G-W to play well at NC State, but not as close as at GT last year since that opened some ACC eyes. As for our game at Buffalo in October, that could be ugly.

I'll agree with you. Auburn struggled mightly against UT-Martin last season who, generally, is not as strong a football team as Furman. Auburn will be athletic on defense, but Chris Forcier might be an equalizer and may well be the fastest athlete at QB AU will have faced to that point. I also like the schedule...Furman will be wedged right in there with some major conference games both before and after.

Given FU's general strong performance against FBS competition, a major rebuilding year for Auburn, the addition of some SEC calibre speed at quarterback and receiver for Furman, and a favorable point in the season, I like Furman's chances. Granted, we have to be healthy. I don't know if we'll win, but I think it will be closer than out 24-7 loss in Blacksburg last season.

bluehenbillk
July 9th, 2009, 02:51 PM
9/12, Delaware over Richmond.

89Hen
July 9th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Anybody in the CAA North over UNH. Please. xoopsx

UNHFootballAlum
July 9th, 2009, 04:40 PM

What's up with the UNH hatred?! We've beaten the last 4 FBS we've played anf have a good shot to beat Ball State

mcveyrl
July 9th, 2009, 04:42 PM

What's up with the UNH hatred?! We've beaten the last 4 FBS we've played anf have a good shot to beat Ball State

I'm pretty sure that's more of a comment about the rest of the North than UNH.

89Hen
July 9th, 2009, 04:48 PM

I'm pretty sure that's more of a comment about the rest of the North than UNH.
Kind of. I just don't want UNH to be 8-0 in CAA play and lock up a seed without playing UR, JMU and UD. xpeacex

SU DOG
July 9th, 2009, 06:14 PM
As long as we are including the phrase " having a shot," I think that it is not inconceivable that Samford could possibly beat UCF this season. I will admit that I don't know that much about the Golden Knights, and most any FCS Team will need lots of breaks against the home FBS Team - but maybe..... just maybe.

runHENrun
July 9th, 2009, 07:42 PM
[QUOTE=bluehenbillk;1366637]9/12, Delaware over Richmond.[/QUO bhb

What bhb said.

Ronbo
July 9th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Montana plays a team game and beats Weber State's umpteen All Americans by two TD's. xnodxxnodxxnodx According to Coulson's All American teams this would be a major upset.

UNIFanSince1983
July 9th, 2009, 09:18 PM
UNI will have a very very tall task to beat a nationally ranked Iowa team. I think we may be up to it, but it depends on how the secondary turns out. And hearing that Jewell Hampton might not play is definitely a plus for the Panthers!

Either way I will be there in the 3rd row cheering the Panthers, and might get a little crazy if they can pull it off!

UNHFootballAlum
July 9th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Kind of. I just don't want UNH to be 8-0 in CAA play and lock up a seed without playing UR, JMU and UD. xpeacex

I'd trade playing UD instead of Villanova or W&M next year. Villanova is a top 3 team and W&M a top 15 team. I guess that doesn't count for much

coover
July 10th, 2009, 03:26 AM
Cal Poly has a realistic shot at Ohio U and at San Jose State. I will predict at least one win in these two games.

89Hen
July 10th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Villanova is a top 3 team and W&M a top 15 team. I guess that doesn't count for much
Not in July. :p And UD plays Villanova, W&M, JMU and UR.

UNHFootballAlum
July 10th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Not in July. :p And UD plays Villanova, W&M, JMU and UR.

The strength of the CAA south doesn't count for much in July either. I guess it will all be determined on the field in the fall.

GOKATS
July 10th, 2009, 10:04 AM

Only if they have a howitzer.

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

darell1976
July 10th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Due to massive injuries, and influenza UND 42 Texas Tech 3.xsmiley_wix

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 10th, 2009, 11:11 AM
As far as FCS-FCS upsets go, I'm going to go with GSU to beat ASU in Boone twice in a row. Hatcher has found a way to keep us in that game two years in a row even though we are outmanned in depth and experience. xnodx xthumbsupx

Nova's got a shot vs. Temple. if anyone is playing Army, that's a possibility. but remember, there are usually 0-2 upsets PER YEAR, so people that are predicting 5+ (i've seen this on other threads) are not in touch with reality.

LoL...as far as I'm concerned, a top FCS should be a favorite over a middle-of-the-road MAC team.

I'll agree with you. Auburn struggled mightly against UT-Martin last season who, generally, is not as strong a football team as Furman. Auburn will be athletic on defense, but Chris Forcier might be an equalizer and may well be the fastest athlete at QB AU will have faced to that point. I also like the schedule...Furman will be wedged right in there with some major conference games both before and after.

Given FU's general strong performance against FBS competition, a major rebuilding year for Auburn, the addition of some SEC calibre speed at quarterback and receiver for Furman, and a favorable point in the season, I like Furman's chances. Granted, we have to be healthy. I don't know if we'll win, but I think it will be closer than out 24-7 loss in Blacksburg last season.

Actually, I like your chances against Missouri better. The Big XII north is pretty weak (EWU gave Colorado all they could handle last year) and Missouri will be without Chase Daniels.

Redbird Ray
July 10th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Looking at some of these games, I see quite a few spots where FCS teams COULD potentially pull off an upset. I think we'll end up seeing 3 or 4. In the MVFC alone I wouldn't be totally surprised if any of these four happened:

SIU over Marshall
UNI over Iowa
NDSU over Iowa St.
WIU over NIU

I'm hopeful ISU can stay within 21 of the Illiniwicks on 09/12.

Keeper
July 11th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Weber over Wyoming by 4.
Richmond 10 over Duke.
Nova 10 over Temple.
Poly 1 over Jose.

Book em. xthumbsupx

VT Wildcat Fan53
July 11th, 2009, 09:13 PM
SIU over Marshall
UNI over Iowa
NDSU over Iowa St.
WIU over NIU

I'm hopeful ISU can stay within 21 of the Illiniwicks on 09/12.

Insightful prediction that could really come true. Like to see UNH over Ball St, but it might be too much to ask for 5-0. Then again, don't ever count out Coach McDonnell and his assortment of miracles, ...

ngineer
July 11th, 2009, 11:40 PM

'Nova beating Temple is a distinct possibility. Game will be at the Linc, and should get a decent crowd on a Thursday night before the Labor Day weekend. I hope they kill Temple and feel real good about themselves as we coming visiting the following week..;)

19Duke97
July 12th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Insightful prediction that could really come true. Like to see UNH over Ball St, but it might be too much to ask for 5-0. Then again, don't ever count out Coach McDonnell and his assortment of miracles, ...

Duke will not look past Richmond after what happened 2 years ago, and they ar ea much better team than that one. I bet Duke beats UR by 3 TD's.

As far as upsets go, I like Nova over Temple. I don't see the Dukes pulling one out over the turtles, but it's possible.

ncbears
July 12th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Now that NDSU is a strong 2-deep in QBs with the addition of Dante Perez, and the fact that Iowa State is coming off a 3-9 season with a new head coach, I'd give the Bison a shot in Ames on 9/3.

I disagree

ncbears
July 12th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Cal Poly has a realistic shot at Ohio U and at San Jose State. I will predict at least one win in these two games.

Maybe both.

ncbears
July 12th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Montana plays a team game and beats Weber State's umpteen All Americans by two TD's. xnodxxnodxxnodx According to Coulson's All American teams this would be a major upset.

they have a good team. Get over it you jock sniffer.

GoAgs72
July 12th, 2009, 12:32 AM
UC Davis has a chance against FBS Fresno State in the first game of the season. In our second FBS game against Boise State I don't think we have a chance in hell since they beat Fresno State by about 50 last year and are in the FBS top 20.

c15683
July 12th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Lehigh over Villanova

Gil Dobie
July 12th, 2009, 03:27 PM
I disagree

So you are giving them no shot?

I-AA Fan
July 12th, 2009, 06:47 PM

A shot? I bet you NDSU is favored by 1.5. I see 3 losses for the Bison in 2009. This is not one of them. The only reason UNI struggles is because it is in-state.

darell1976
July 12th, 2009, 07:58 PM

As a Cornhusker fan I wouldn't mind NDSU beating the Cyclones. Maybe this could open the door to more games against the Big 12 namely Nebraska. I would definately be there in Lincoln if NDSU or UND can get NU on the schedule.

Seawolf97
July 12th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Lehigh over Villanova

Too much sun and surfxcoffeex

BDKJMU
July 13th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Remember, last year was 85-2.

Bulldog87
July 13th, 2009, 07:44 AM
As long as we are including the phrase " having a shot," I think that it is not inconceivable that Samford could possibly beat UCF this season. I will admit that I don't know that much about the Golden Knights, and most any FCS Team will need lots of breaks against the home FBS Team - but maybe..... just maybe.FWIW,UCF was ahead of SCSU 7-0 at the end of the 3rd when we played them down there a couple of years ago. If you can get you offense going you may have a shot.Mistakes killed us in the 4th and our "D that had benn smacking them around ran out of gas and played with bad fiel position at the end of the game. We really should've won that one. If you get a chance go to the game. UCF has a great campus and very nice fans. They're fans really get into the game and the stadium is 1st class. Good luck.