PDA

View Full Version : The Sports Network Begins Announcing Payton/Buchanan Candidates

smallcollegefbfan
July 7th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Four names have been announced as Payton candidates today with Armanti Edwards (obviously on the list), William Ford (obviously on the list), Chris Evans, and Pat Grace joining them. AE and Ford were both on the list last year, thus me throwing in the obviously comment in there.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/payton/payton09.aspx

For the Buchanan Award they have not yet posted two obvious candidates in Mark LeGree and Larry Hart but have posted 4 names that some might be surprised to see. SDSU DE Danny Batten, Grambling State DE Christian Anthony, SELU S Tommy Connors, and Montana State DE Dane Fletcher are the first four officially named to the list.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/fcsawards/file.aspx?p=pa,f=59625

Here is the release from TSN on the Buchanan

2009 Buchanan watch list candidates announced

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - Christian Anthony of Grambling, Danny Batten of South Dakota State, Tommy Connors of Southeastern Louisiana and Dane Fletcher of Montana State were announced on Tuesday as the first four candidates on the 2009 Buck Buchanan Award watch list.

A total of 20 candidates will be announced in alphabetical order prior to the start of the season, with four candidates being released each week. The watch list will be revised in October and again in November before the final ballot is announced.

Voting from a panel of FCS sports information directors, writers, broadcasters and other football experts will be conducted after the regular season ends. Three finalists will be announced on Nov. 30 and will be invited to the 23rd annual Sports Network Awards banquet on Dec. 17 in Chattanooga, TN., the night before the NCAA Division I championship game. The Walter Payton Award and the Eddie Robinson Award will also be presented that night.
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4241506

Here is the TSN release on the Payton

Edwards heads up Payton Award watch list

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - Armanti Edwards, the Appalachian State quarterback who won the 2008 Walter Payton Award, heads up the first four names released for the 2009 Payton watch list.

Also named to the watch list on Tuesday were Samford running back Chris Evans, South Carolina State running back William Ford and Northern Iowa quarterback Pat Grace.

A total of 20 candidates will be announced in alphabetical order prior to the start of the season, with four candidates being released each week. The watch list will be revised in October and again in November before the final ballot is announced.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4241505

TexasTerror
July 7th, 2009, 01:58 PM
The SLC should be well represented on the Buchanan Award watch list. UCA and possibly even SFA should have representation, one would think.

Congrats to Connors!

smallcollegefbfan
July 7th, 2009, 02:13 PM
The SLC should be well represented on the Buchanan Award watch list. UCA and possibly even SFA should have representation, one would think.

Congrats to Connors!

I fully expect Williams of SFA to join Hart and Connors as you and I mentioned.

GOKATS
July 7th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Congrats to Dane Fletcher for making the initial Buchanan List. I wish him the best this season.

From MSU-

BOZEMAN, Mont. -- Montana State senior Dane Fletcher landed on The
Sports Network's Buchanan Watch List on Tuesday as one of the top
defensive players in the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) of
Division I.

A 6-2,245 lb defensive end from Bozeman, Fletcher posted outstanding
numbers in three-quarters of a season last year. He registered 6.5 sacks
and 14.5 tackles-for-loss in nine games. His 1.61 tackles-for-loss was
second-best in the Big Sky and 11th in the FCS. Fletcher's 33.5 career
tackles-for-loss is a half-tackle from MSU's career top 10 list.

"Dane is very productive," said MSU coach Rob Ash, "I love all the
tackles and sacks. But he has a presence on the field that's just
contagious in a positive way. He is a competitor and a leader, and he
makes his team better. He is very deserving of this recognition."

The Sports Network released its first four names on both the Buchanan
and Payton Watch Lists. The Buchanan Trophy honors the nation's top
defensive player in FCS, while the Payton Trophy honors the year's top
offensive players. Christian Anthony of Grambling, Danny Batten of South
Dakota State, and Tommy Connors of Southeastern Louisiana join Fletcher
on the Buchanan Watch List.

-msu-

BEAR
July 7th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Larry Hart:Sr. Defensive End. UCA.

2008 totals
------------------
43 Total Tackles
21 Tackles for loss. 96 yards.
12 Sacks. 75 Yards
5 pass breakups
1 Forced fumble
1 blocked kick

Glad he's in consideration in the future. He really is a presence on the line. He's Jacob Ford II. xnodxxlolx

TexasTerror
July 7th, 2009, 04:15 PM
UCABear, I do not think you have to worry about Larry Hart. He'll be on the list and if I had to vote today based on what I think would happen this season, he'd be in my top 5. :)

BEAR
July 7th, 2009, 04:22 PM
UCABear, I do not think you have to worry about Larry Hart. He'll be on the list and if I had to vote today based on what I think would happen this season, he'd be in my top 5. :)

xlolxxlolx

He was in consideration last year so this year he should be in there too. Even if he doesn't win it, I'm proud of the kid. If Jacob Ford can go round 6 or the draft and this kid is his double, then I see good things happening. xthumbsupxxlolx

(But then again, at 6'1" and 248lbs, where would he fit?) xlolx

smallcollegefbfan
July 7th, 2009, 05:07 PM
xlolxxlolx

(But then again, at 6'1" and 248lbs, where would he fit?) xlolx

That is the same thing myself and scouts are thinking. He measured at 6'0 1/4 239 pounds for scouts and ran a verified 4.56 40. I think he could be a Colts type DE but for other teams he would probably play OLB. I have heard that scouts question whether he has the athletic ability to stand up and play OLB. I really like him though and think with his motor, quickness, and COD skills that he should get a chance for sure. If he was 6'4 250 he would be a top 100 draft pick IMO.

89rabbit
July 7th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Danny Batten is a beast! xbowx

Hoyadestroya85
July 7th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Do you expect Osunde and possibly Szczur of Villanova to be on the respective lists?

Mountaineer
July 7th, 2009, 06:14 PM
From GoASU:

PHILADELPHIA — Appalachian State University quarterback Armanti Edwards, the 2008 Walter Payton Award winner, headlines the initial candidates for the 2009 Payton Award, The Sports Network announced on Tuesday.

The Payton Award is presented annually to the nation’s top NCAA Division I FCS (Football Championship Subdivision — formerly Division I-AA) player. In a departure from past years, this year’s official Payton watch list will include 20 candidates, as opposed to 10. Additionally, The Sports Network is spreading the announcement of its official candidates over five weeks, with four names added to the list each week. The full list will be revised in October and November before the final ballot is announced at the end of the regular season.

Last year, Edwards won the award in the landslide, easily out-distancing James Madison quarterback Rodney Landers with 398 total points and 53 first-place votes, compared to 290 points and 17 first-place nods for the JMU signal-caller. In doing so, Edwards became only the sixth underclassman in the 22-year history of the Payton Award to receive the honor. This season, the senior attempts to become the first player to win the award twice.

For his career, Edwards already owns 12 school and eight conference records, including the ASU and SoCon records for total offense (10,783 yards) and touchdowns responsible (109) in a career. The Mountaineers are 32-5 in games that Edwards has started behind center.

Appalachian is one of only two programs — Montana being the other — to boast winners of the Payton, Buck Buchanan (FCS Defensive Player of the Year) and Eddie Robinson (FCS Coach of the Year) awards.

xbowx xnodx xnodx xbowx

Link: GoAE (http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=3761687)

smallcollegefbfan
July 7th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Do you expect Osunde and possibly Szczur of Villanova to be on the respective lists?

No way Szczur is on the preseason list because he just doesn't have the numbers and you could argue that he is not the best offensive player. Osunde will be on it for sure. He is probably the best LB in the CAA.

smallcollegefbfan
July 7th, 2009, 07:01 PM

I love Batten. He is a better player than Ruffin, Tracy, and Knicky in my mind. While I think you have to rate Ruffin higher based on numbers and awards at this point, Batten has the better motor and is very athletic. He runs a 4.69 40 at 6'3 250 pounds. I could see him running in the 4.65 or better range with training.

CrazyCat
July 7th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Here is a great video on Danes feelings about being on the watch list and about last years injury and this years Bobcats.

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/bobcat-blog/?p=1206

Chi Panther
July 7th, 2009, 09:22 PM

Agree....but don't forget who is the returning MVFC Defensive Player of the Year.....:Dxthumbsupx
http://www.unipanthers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/ruffin_james00.html

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 7th, 2009, 09:25 PM
2 SoCon dudes on the WP watch list! Not bad. I fully expect GSU to have at least one guy on the list before the end of the year. Surprised that Dominique Randolph and Scott Riddle didn't make it.

smallcollegefbfan
July 7th, 2009, 09:30 PM
2 SoCon dudes on the WP watch list! Not bad. I fully expect GSU to have at least one guy on the list before the end of the year. Surprised that Dominique Randolph and Scott Riddle didn't make it.

That is just the first four names. There are going to be 16 more listed. Riddle probably won't make it because Terrell Hudgins will be on the list.

BEAR
July 7th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Here's the NCAA stats for each returning top 10 player on defense:
(I deleted out the SRs from last year, I think I did this right xlolx)
Tackles for loss:
Rank Player Pos Cl Gm Solo Ast Yds Total PG
2 Lou Miller, Columbia LB JR 10 14 11 63 19.5 1.95
4 Austen Lane, Murray St. DL JR 12 18 8 140 22 1.83
5 Wes McDermott, Morehead St. LB JR 11 16 7 61 19.5 1.77
8 Tim Knicky, Stephen F. Austin DL JR 12 16 9 115 20.5 1.71
9 Scott Lewis, St. Francis (Pa.) LB SO 11 14 9 71 18.5 1.68
10 Grant Hunter, Butler DL FR 11 17 2 109 18 1.64
11 Dane Fletcher, Montana St. DL JR 9 12 5 65 14.5 1.61
14 Matt Cohen, Lehigh LB JR 11 14 6 83 17 1.55
15 Chris Baker, Hampton DL JR 11 9 15 78 16.5 1.50

Unranked due to transitional status of team:
Larry Hart, Central Ark. DL JR 12 14 14 96 21 1.75

Sacks:

Rank Player Pos Cl Gm Solo Ast Yds Total PG
2 Grant Hunter, Butler DL FR 11 14 0 97 14 1.27
4 Austen Lane, Murray St. DL JR 12 11 2 108 12 1.00
5 Tim Knicky, Stephen F. Austin DL JR 12 9 4 74 11 .92
6 Adrian Tracy, William & Mary DL JR 11 7 6 56 10 .91
8 Jeremy Maddox, Alabama A&M DL JR 12 9 2 53 10 .83
9 Arthur Moats, James Madison DL JR 14 8 7 66 11.5 .82
12 Lou Miller, Columbia LB JR 10 7 2 38 8 .80
13 Chris Baker, Hampton DL JR 11 6 5 60 8.5 .77
15 Shaun Lewis, Jacksonville DL SO 13 10 0 66 10 .77

Unranked due to transitional status of team:
Larry Hart, Central Ark. DL JR 12 9 6 75 12 1.00

If you look at a LBs position, typically he is in more of a position to make more tackles. DE might get half that but contribute just as much. A DB might not get very many tackles but their interceptions are worth a ton! Just depends on what you think is worth more. There are alot of great candidates to choose from...so who knows. xthumbsupxxlolxxnodx