PDA

View Full Version : Selle ready and willing to battle for Griz QB job

Ronbo
July 7th, 2009, 01:09 PM
http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/billingsgazette.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/2/e9/b29/2e9b295c-6ac0-11de-a786-001cc4c002e0.preview-300.jpg?_dc=1246948452

The way Andrew Selle sees it, the Montana Grizzlies' quarterback job is still his for the taking.

Selle, a former star at Billings West, had been the frontrunner to replace the graduated Cole Bergquist at quarterback this fall.

He had paid his dues as a backup and now, finally, his time had arrived.

Then came the announcement last week that Oregon quarterback Justin Roper was transferring to UM.

Now Selle has a big roadblock - the 6-foot-6, 210-pound variety - in his path.

Such is the life in the Championship Subdivision. You never know who is coming or going.

But Selle, entering his junior season, says he won't go down without a battle.

"I knew after Cole graduated that I was going to have to work hard and compete to earn the job," Selle said. "In my opinion nothing has changed. There's just one more person I'm competing against.

The rest of the story (http://www.billingsgazette.com/sports/football/college/article_50bd6180-6ac0-11de-a787-001cc4c002e0.html)

Uncle Rico's Clan
July 7th, 2009, 02:37 PM
This is going to be an exciting August in Missoula.xrotatehx

GOKATS
July 7th, 2009, 06:36 PM
This is a serious question for griz fans. The only reason Roper left Oregon and dropped down to FCS is to get a solid two years of playing time/exposure to further his NFL ambitions. I'm sure Selle will get his shot at the starting job (as he should), but do any of you really think Roper will stick around if he isn't named the starter? I just don't see him being content standing on the sideline, he could have stayed at Oregon and done that (and got better exposure).

Green26
July 7th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Where do you think Roper would go? NAIA and play right away? I think he'd have to sit out his junior year if he transferred again to an ncaa school, but I don't know that for sure. Even if a player isn't named the starter right away, that doesn't mean he won't become the starter later--either due to earning it or injury. While Roper transferred to get to an offensive scheme more suited to him and to play, he surely isn't a quitter. Almost every player, especially a qb, who transfers for more playing time, doesn't end up transferring again even if he doesn't become the starter.

GOKATS
July 7th, 2009, 08:16 PM
It just seems to me that being the son of a coach, etc. that his goals are clearly to do whatever it takes to further his NFL ambitions. Seeking playing time and exposure it didn't surprise me at all when he chose the griz because they do garner more attention than most FCS schools and that fits his goals. I have no idea whatsoever if Hauck made him any kind of guarantees (I'm sure that some griz fans will have irrefutable knowledge, which won't have any more credibility than what I know). Whether he would walk or not (even if it meant sitting out a year, and I don't know the answer to that one either if he chose another FCS school) is one of the reasons I asked the question to begin with. It just seems he was very specific in his goals when he left Oregon and was very specific in those same goals in selecting an FCS school. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens if Selle gets the nod. If Roper gets the nod, even if it has something to do with a bit of signing encouragement, it'll be a non-issue.

89Hen
July 8th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Selle has no shot at starting.

catatac
July 8th, 2009, 09:17 AM

Exactly. You can talk all you want about how Bobby approached this kid with the "All I'm offering you is a chance to compete!" (with a wink and a nod)... but at the end of the day, a kid that started for Oregon isn't coming to Montana to sit the bench unless he gets hurt. Bobby already showed that he will start a 1A dropdown over a recruited kid and adjust the offense around that player if necessary, even if the kid struggles. (See Jason Washington). Now I'm not saying he'll leave him in all season if he continues to struggle, but he'll definitely leave him out there for a few games while he finds his groove.

GOKATS
July 8th, 2009, 10:24 AM

If that's the case (and I'd guess it's just a blank statement rather than any kind of knowledgable fact) it would tell me that that the griz were really a lot worse off at the QB position prior to Roper than they'd like to admit. At one point in my life (the nadir) I worked and lived in the Missoula area and I have numerous lifelong friends who are die hard griz fans. Following spring ball they felt that both Selle and Larson are capable of leading the team and that it looked like a good battle for the start during fall camp, but they just didn't have that warm, fuzzy feeling about either. Maybe Roper will turn out to be a blessing for the griz, it remains to be seen I guess.

89Hen
July 8th, 2009, 10:44 AM
If that's the case (and I'd guess it's just a blank statement rather than any kind of knowledgable fact)
The knowledge has nothing to do with Roper or Selle or Montana. It has to do with Andy Hall, Sonny Riccio, Joe Flacco, Rob Schoenhoft, Pat Devlin, Ingle Martin, Rhett Bomar, Ryan Perrilloux Josh Blankenship.... QB's from big schools don't generally transfer to be backups.

unigriff
July 8th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Kurt Warner only started his 5th year at UNI, and he turned out alright :) Selle will be just fine :)