PDA

View Full Version : Sewak & GSU

ChickenMan
December 5th, 2005, 08:34 AM
GSU people expected more than Sewak was able to deliver... but those expectations may have been a little unrealistic. A coaching change may improve the GSU program... but I doubt that it will return GSU to dominance. The quality of I-AA football has improved dramaticaly over the past five or ten years and the days of a GSU dominating the landscape are history. There are just too many good I-AA programs for any one school to rule the roost the way GSU... Marshall and YSU were able to do years ago. GSU is and will likely remain a top I-AA school... but if their fans expect to see a run of I-AA titles like they had in the '80's and '90's... no coach will ever be good enough.

AppGuy04
December 5th, 2005, 08:39 AM
no coach will ever be good enough.

this was true before, and damn sure is NOW!

good lucks boys!

putter
December 5th, 2005, 10:06 AM
As I said in another post all coaches will be haunted by the ghost of ERK just as coaches in Montana will be haunted by the ghost of Don Read. The guy was 35-14 and yes you can debate quality wins etc but that is still pretty harsh and I agree with CM that a new coach may improve but it will be hard to do that.

OL FU
December 5th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Generally, I'll leave this up to the alums and others to discuss, but oh well this is a dicussion board. Personally, think it was not a good move. I have always thought that one of Furman's strengths was continuity of coaches from within the program. Sheridan a Baker assistant, Satterfield a Sheridon assistant, Johnson a Satterfield assistant, Lamb a Johnson assistant.

I always thought that was one of GSU's strengths. Is that over or will they go for a former assitant that has left the program for a while.

straightshooter
December 5th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Considering that Sewak was 3-1 against Furman, I would have thought you'd like to see him gone.

OL FU
December 5th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Considering that Sewak was 3-1 against Furman, I would have thought you'd like to see him gone.

For once, I was trying to see it without my obvious bias

Rick C
December 5th, 2005, 11:22 AM

Yeah, we'd like Erk back - we were 1-1 against him - Furman's best record against any GSU coach :D :bawling:

ngineer
December 5th, 2005, 12:43 PM
As I said in another post all coaches will be haunted by the ghost of ERK just as coaches in Montana will be haunted by the ghost of Don Read. The guy was 35-14 and yes you can debate quality wins etc but that is still pretty harsh and I agree with CM that a new coach may improve but it will be hard to do that.

Nail on head. Lehigh's Lembo is 44-14 (including playoffs) in five years, but he's not Kevin Higgins, who was 34-4 in his last three years (although 56-25 overall). It's wrong to be constantly looking back and comparing because circumstances and conditions are constantly changing. Most at Lehigh seem to forget that the 'revered' late John Whitehead was 'only' 75-38 in his ten years--including 3 losing seasons out of his last four.

blukeys
December 5th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Continuity helps. Delaware 4 head coaches since the Battle of Britain in 1940. 3 are in the College Football Hall of Fame.

AUtigersGSUeagles
December 5th, 2005, 02:56 PM
I know many people have tried to explain the reasons for Sewak's firing, and I would just like to throw in my two cents worth and maybe offer a contemporary example. I'm a 2004 graduate of Auburn University, but my dad graduated from GSU. I was at 4 of the 6 National Championships, and was present at the loss in 1998. So while being an alum of Auburn, I have always had a deep love for GSU and all things I-AA football.

Auburn got rid of Terry Bowden in the late 90s for a large variety of reasons I won't go into here but are similar to the GSU situation in many ways. During his time at Auburn, Terry took us to bowl games and had decent records pretty much every year, especially his first two seasons. The year he was fired in mid-season, Auburn went 3-8. I got a chance to talk to Ben Leard, the Auburn quarterback at the time during the 1999 National Championship game against YSU because he had a team mate from high school playing for GSU. Ben said that the Auburn team under Bowden was the most poorly disciplined squad he'd ever been a part of or seen. Bowden could not control things, played favorites, and ignored everyone else. He was fired, Tommy Tuberville came in, and now Auburn's back as one of the top schools in the SEC and even the nation with the program he's building.

Sewak was fired for partly the same reason. GSU had begun to become an undisciplined football team. Sewak may have had a good record and taken the Eagles to the playoffs, but he just wasn't that great a coach when he needed to be. The collapse against Texas State and New Hampshire the year before show this. GSU had leads in both games that had they continued to play the way they had through the majority of the game, should have allowed them to win. But when New Hampshire and TSU made adjustments and started coming back, GSU couldn't handle it. Maybe he should have been given another year to prove himself, but collapsing in the first round of the playoffs two years in a row when having a lead in both games is not exactly a great statement for being a championship caliber coach.

I don't know what direction GSU will go in now, and time may prove that it was the wrong call to make. But I think the GSU administration saw a situation developing that they didn't like and decided to end it before it got worse. Maybe they'll look like idiots like the administration at Auburn who were going to try and fire Tuberville two years ago before the team suddenly came together (granted Al Borges, the Offensive Coordinator is probably the main reason for that). But then again, maybe whoever they hire will come in and look like a genius.

putter
December 5th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Continuity helps. Delaware 4 head coaches since the Battle of Britain in 1940. 3 are in the College Football Hall of Fame.

I have to agree with that as it must help every program. Montana was able to build its program with Read there for 10 years. After he retired, our next coach Mick Dennehy,was here 4 years and moved on to Utah St. After him Joe Glenn was here 3 years before moving on to Wyoming. Now Bobby Hauck just finished his 3rd year and rumors have him possibly moving on to San Diego St (who just fired their coach). I am surprised we have been able to keep the level of play going with the turnover at head coach.

eaglesrthe1
December 5th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Like the Auburn fan said, this move was about much more than the W/L record. Only time will tell if it is right or not.

KJ Eagle
December 5th, 2005, 03:53 PM
I know many people have tried to explain the reasons for Sewak's firing, and I would just like to throw in my two cents worth and maybe offer a contemporary example. I'm a 2004 graduate of Auburn University, but my dad graduated from GSU. I was at 4 of the 6 National Championships, and was present at the loss in 1998. So while being an alum of Auburn, I have always had a deep love for GSU and all things I-AA football.

Auburn got rid of Terry Bowden in the late 90s for a large variety of reasons I won't go into here but are similar to the GSU situation in many ways. During his time at Auburn, Terry took us to bowl games and had decent records pretty much every year, especially his first two seasons. The year he was fired in mid-season, Auburn went 3-8. I got a chance to talk to Ben Leard, the Auburn quarterback at the time during the 1999 National Championship game against YSU because he had a team mate from high school playing for GSU. Ben said that the Auburn team under Bowden was the most poorly disciplined squad he'd ever been a part of or seen. Bowden could not control things, played favorites, and ignored everyone else. He was fired, Tommy Tuberville came in, and now Auburn's back as one of the top schools in the SEC and even the nation with the program he's building.

Sewak was fired for partly the same reason. GSU had begun to become an undisciplined football team. Sewak may have had a good record and taken the Eagles to the playoffs, but he just wasn't that great a coach when he needed to be. The collapse against Texas State and New Hampshire the year before show this. GSU had leads in both games that had they continued to play the way they had through the majority of the game, should have allowed them to win. But when New Hampshire and TSU made adjustments and started coming back, GSU couldn't handle it. Maybe he should have been given another year to prove himself, but collapsing in the first round of the playoffs two years in a row when having a lead in both games is not exactly a great statement for being a championship caliber coach.

I don't know what direction GSU will go in now, and time may prove that it was the wrong call to make. But I think the GSU administration saw a situation developing that they didn't like and decided to end it before it got worse. Maybe they'll look like idiots like the administration at Auburn who were going to try and fire Tuberville two years ago before the team suddenly came together (granted Al Borges, the Offensive Coordinator is probably the main reason for that). But then again, maybe whoever they hire will come in and look like a genius.

Good post... Finally someone else that looks at more than just the record :hurray:

KJ Eagle
December 5th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Good post... Finally someone else that looks at more than just the record :hurray:

Baldy
December 5th, 2005, 04:54 PM
GSU people expected more than Sewak was able to deliver... but those expectations may have been a little unrealistic. A coaching change may improve the GSU program... but I doubt that it will return GSU to dominance. The quality of I-AA football has improved dramaticaly over the past five or ten years and the days of a GSU dominating the landscape are history. There are just too many good I-AA programs for any one school to rule the roost the way GSU... Marshall and YSU were able to do years ago. GSU is and will likely remain a top I-AA school... but if their fans expect to see a run of I-AA titles like they had in the '80's and '90's... no coach will ever be good enough.

If Southern Cal can dominate I-A, why can't GSU (or any other team for that matter) dominate I-AA?

December 5th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Like the Auburn fan said, this move was about much more than the W/L record. Only time will tell if it is right or not.Really? Like what? What has been said by officials other than Sam saying if they won the TXST game Sewak would not have been fired, after saying that Sewak was in for four more years just a couple of months age?

TypicalTribe
December 5th, 2005, 05:08 PM
If Southern Cal can dominate I-A, why can't GSU (or any other team for that matter) dominate I-AA?

GSU can, and has, dominated I-AA for stretches like USC is right now. However, no team can dominate every single year. Not when you have to win 4 playoff games instead of one national championship game.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 5th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Chicken Man, are you one of those people that thinks that our offense is somehow just an old prank that no one falls for anymore?? Must we go through this argument again?? If you really want to, I'll take 3 of you guys on.

eaglesrthe1
December 5th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Really? Like what? What has been said by officials other than Sam saying if they won the TXST game Sewak would not have been fired, after saying that Sewak was in for four more years just a couple of months age?

Your bait stinks Ralph. There is no quotable reason, other than not meeting expectations. Read the Auburn fan post, and you will get a lot of the reasons that the boosters were putting pressure on Baker. Good or bad, booster pressure is a real phenomenon.

BTW, I don't recall Sam saying that if Sewak had won the TxSt game he wouldn't have been fired, even though he may not have been. There is a point however, at which a straw breaks the camels back. You must have had Coulson dig that factoid up for you. What I recall Baker saying was that if Sewak had won the NC, he wouldn't have been fired.

December 5th, 2005, 09:42 PM
Your bait stinks Ralph. There is no quotable reason, other than not meeting expectations. ... BTW, I don't recall Sam saying that if Sewak had won the TxSt game he wouldn't have been fired...It was your stinky bait. You have nothing new to add other than what has already been reported. If you read your GaSU messageboard the TXST quote has been reported many times.

NOT MEETING EXPECTATIONS AFTER GETTING GASU TO THE PLAYOFFS THREE OF FOUR YEARS! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

claydus
December 5th, 2005, 09:58 PM
It was your stinky bait. You have nothing new to add other than what has already been reported. If you read your GaSU messageboard the TXST quote has been reported many times.

NOT MEETING EXPECTATIONS AFTER GETTING GASU TO THE PLAYOFFS THREE OF FOUR YEARS! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Who knows what it was... maybe the communication between Sewak and Baker wasn't that great... or maybe both despised one another... We will never know what went on behind closed doors with Baker and Sewak.... There is more to this situation that what has happened up to this point... or maybe Baker had no control over this situation... Maybe the Boosters stated they were gonna crusify Baker if he didnt fire Sewak... **** happens all the time period.

December 5th, 2005, 10:04 PM
... There is more to this situation that what has happened up to this point... or maybe Baker had no control over this situation...What is this secret info GaSU fans refer to? All the fans seem to refer to it yet no else has heard a thing... not media that cover them nor officials.

"These were Dr. Grube comments on Tuesday in the official press release:
'Athletics Director Sam Baker has my full support in his decision to set a new course for the football program at Georgia Southern University.'"

http://i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=74688

ncbears
December 5th, 2005, 10:20 PM
Could Sewak end up at Northern Colorado? His name was mentioned as a possible candidate in the Greeley Tribune, although I don't think he has any connections to the program.

eaglesrthe1
December 5th, 2005, 10:26 PM
It was your stinky bait. You have nothing new to add other than what has already been reported. NOT MEETING EXPECTATIONS AFTER GETTING GASU TO THE PLAYOFFS THREE OF FOUR YEARS! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I was just reiterating what the Auburn fan said. That it wasn't about just the W/L record. What new and interesting info did you add?

If you read your GaSU messageboard the TXST quote has been reported many times.

I did look for the TxSt quote, but could not find it. But then again, I didn't state it, YOU DID! SO U SHOW ME! I don't need to see it "many times", once will suffice. It's interesting that you reference the GSU message board as "reported". Since you are attributing it directly to Baker though, perhaps you can fill us in on his screen name for future reference.

As far as "not meeting expectations", those aren't my words, they come from the official press release.

Baldy
December 5th, 2005, 10:30 PM
What is this secret info GaSU fans refer to? All the fans seem to refer to it yet no else has heard a thing... not media that cover them nor officials.

'Athletics Director Sam Baker has my full support in his decision to set a new course for the football program at Georgia Southern University.'"

C'mon ralph, I know you aren't that naive. It's "his decision" because it's Sam's head on the chopping block.
A 4 person committee has been formed to interview and make the final decision for a new coach. If "Coach X" is selected by a 3 to 1 vote with Sam as the lone nay vote and "Coach X" is a big fat flop, Sam will be the one who receives all the grief because he is the AD. That's life in the AD's office.

Sam even said it in the news conference, this was not a unilateral decision.

texcap
December 5th, 2005, 10:33 PM
What is this secret info GaSU fans refer to? All the fans seem to refer to it yet no else has heard a thing... not media that cover them nor officials.

Let me preface this by saying that I have no knowledge of what goes on at GSU and frankly I have no desire to know their inner workings (kind of like watching sausage and laws being made, I just don't have the stomach for that). This is just my opinion, so GSU fans feel free to shoot away. You aren't going to bother me or lower my opinion of GSU.

Here goes:

Ralph, didn't I read somewhere in an article or hear in the press conference that Baker readily admitted that the Texas State loss played into the firing?

If that is the case, I would like to ask two questions; (1) If GSU were still winning would Sewak have been fired? (2) If GSU won #7 this year would Sewak still have been shown the door?

If the answer to these questions is no, in other words, he would still be the GSU head coach if GSU were still playing or if GSU had won #7, then all the "secret" information and the "other reasons" are disingenuous at best. If you can overlook all the stuff that is under the rug when they are winning, it means that winning is what matters, no matter how much they try to spin things away from this fact.

December 5th, 2005, 10:39 PM
C'mon ralph, I know you aren't that naive. It's "his decision" because it's Sam's head on the chopping block.
A 4 person committee has been formed to interview and make the final decision for a new coach. If "Coach X" is selected by a 3 to 1 vote with Sam as the lone nay vote and "Coach X" is a big fat flop, Sam will be the one who receives all the grief because he is the AD. That's life in the AD's office.

Sam even said it in the news conference, this was not a unilateral decision.You should give the link to eaglesrthe1 if you want.

Baldy, the prez said it was Sam's decision to can Sewak.

December 5th, 2005, 10:41 PM
... it means that winning is what matters, no matter how much they try to spin things away from this fact.That is how I see it. No one from GaSU has proved otherwise.

Baldy
December 5th, 2005, 10:45 PM
Let me preface this by saying that I have no knowledge of what goes on at GSU and frankly I have no desire to know their inner workings (kind of like watching sausage and laws being made, I just don't have the stomach for that). This is just my opinion, so GSU fans feel free to shoot away. You aren't going to bother me or lower my opinion of GSU.

Here goes:

Ralph, didn't I read somewhere in an article or hear in the press conference that Baker readily admitted that the Texas State loss played into the firing?

If that is the case, I would like to ask two questions; (1) If GSU were still winning would Sewak have been fired? (2) If GSU won #7 this year would Sewak still have been shown the door?

If the answer to these questions is no, in other words, he would still be the GSU head coach if GSU were still playing or if GSU had won #7, then all the "secret" information and the "other reasons" are disingenuous at best. If you can overlook all the stuff that is under the rug when they are winning, it means that winning is what matters, no matter how much they try to spin things away from this fact.

IMO:
It wasn't just the Texas State loss, but it was probably the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back. The only thing that could have saved Sewak's job was a trip to Chattanooga.

You are right, winning is what matters. The lack of discipline (on and off the field) cost us crucial games at crucial times over the last 3 years.

rokamortis
December 5th, 2005, 10:48 PM
That is how I see it. No one from GaSU has proved otherwise.

the way I see it is that if he had kept winning it would have spared him, at least in the short term - but he was on a short leash. I think the problem was a combination of not winning in the playoffs, the Erk and Rusty situation, and boosters and all of that together is clouding all of this - and this information will never be public knowledge.

eaglesrthe1
December 5th, 2005, 10:48 PM

Here goes:

The answer to both, IMO is probably not. But that doesn't mean that the TxSt loss isn't part of the equation. Or even a large portion. Had GSU won #7, then it would have been pretty much impossible for him to have been terminated. TxSt was simply the last straw.

eaglesrthe1
December 5th, 2005, 10:53 PM
You should give the link to eaglesrthe1 if you want.

I've seen that remark by Baker, and the one by Grube. I want to see the one that you attributed to Baker: "if they won the TXST game Sewak would not have been fired". :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Methinks that I may have trouble finding something that does not exist.

Baldy
December 5th, 2005, 10:54 PM

I never saw a quote from Dr. Grube stating it was "Sam's decision to fire Sewak". However, Sam did say at the news conference that the decision was not unilateral.

ralph, please don't tell me you believe that large donors, boosters, etc. don't have influence as far as who is hired and who is fired. :confused:

December 5th, 2005, 10:58 PM
I never saw a quote from Dr. Grube stating it was "Sam's decision to fire Sewak"..."These were Dr. Grube comments on Tuesday in the official press release:

eaglesrthe1: go look it up. geesh!

Baldy
December 5th, 2005, 11:03 PM

Sounds to me like Grube is letting Baker hire whoever he wants to hire. "New directions" usually come from hirings, not firings.
Sorry, that quote said absolutely nothing about firing anyone. :confused:

eaglesrthe1
December 5th, 2005, 11:05 PM

eaglesrthe1: go look it up. geesh!

Not me Ralph. You're talking to two guys. Geesh!

December 5th, 2005, 11:09 PM
Sounds to me like Grube is letting Baker hire whoever he wants to hire. "New directions" usually come from hirings, not firings.
Sorry, that quote said absolutely nothing about firing anyone. :confused:I read it as saying (since it was said at the Sewak and staff firing) as Baker setting the direction including the firing. Out with the old and in with the new...

AZGrizFan
December 5th, 2005, 11:16 PM

Couldn't agree more putter. NO coach will ever live up to Don Read, and the guy who JUST left is always better than the guy that's filling the seat currently. If some on e-griz were to get the way and BH was gone, they'd be remembering him fondly in 18 months, romancing about "the good old days". The days of I-AA being 8-10 strong schools and "everybody else" are gone. It truly is Any Given Saturday now. :beerchug: :beerchug:

ChickenMan
December 6th, 2005, 06:11 AM
Chicken Man, are you one of those people that thinks that our offense is somehow just an old prank that no one falls for anymore?? Must we go through this argument again?? If you really want to, I'll take 3 of you guys on.

It has nothing to do with your offense... but it sure has a whole to do with the improvement of other I-AA teams and leagues. The days of GSU or anyone else dominating I-AA are over... no shot at GSU... as I expect them to remain a consistantly top program... but the days of them dominating even in the SoCon appear to be over as well. Four first time National Champs in four consectutive years... welcome to the new I-AA.

GoGSU
December 6th, 2005, 07:59 AM
We will own 1-AA again....it's just a matter of time. You heard it here first. :nod:

ChickenMan
December 6th, 2005, 08:07 AM
We will own 1-AA again....it's just a matter of time. You heard it here first. :nod:

try starting with Furman and ASU first... ;)

AppGuy04
December 6th, 2005, 08:09 AM
try starting with Furman and ASU first... ;)

or try spelling Gawga correctly(GoGSU)

straightshooter
December 6th, 2005, 08:18 AM
GSU pretty much owns FU. The series is 12-5 in GSU's favor. Appy is another story, as the series is pretty much even. GSU can't seem to win in Boone and Appy can't win in Statesboro.

AppGuy04
December 6th, 2005, 08:21 AM
GSU can't seem to win in Boone and Appy can't win in Statesboro.

the way it should be

KJ Eagle
December 6th, 2005, 09:39 AM
[QUOTE=ralph]What is this secret info GaSU fans refer to? All the fans seem to refer to it yet no else has heard a thing... not media that cover them nor officials.

Ralph: there is no "secret" information. We're not talking James Bond stuff here, or even rocket science so it shouldn't be this hard to understand.

It is simply the fact that under Sewak we have had the following: more on and off field discipline problems, less "control" over the program as a whole, we have had more instances of bad clock management, we have had more blown leads, terrible play calling down the stretch in close games, more home losses, more playoff losses, more playoff collapses, very few wins in close games, no playoff wins in three years, less wins against ranked opponents, more losses to teams that we shouldn't lose to, the majority wins that he had were unimpressive teams that we should have destroyed (just because we score 70 on somebody doesn't mean its a good win)... How long do I need to continue?

texcap
December 6th, 2005, 09:59 AM
[QUOTE=ralph]What is this secret info GaSU fans refer to? All the fans seem to refer to it yet no else has heard a thing... not media that cover them nor officials.

Ralph: there is no "secret" information. We're not talking James Bond stuff here, or even rocket science so it shouldn't be this hard to understand.

It is simply the fact that under Sewak we have had the following: more on and off field discipline problems, less "control" over the program as a whole, we have had more instances of bad clock management, we have had more blown leads, terrible play calling down the stretch in close games, more home losses, more playoff losses, more playoff collapses, very few wins in close games, no playoff wins in three years, less wins against ranked opponents, more losses to teams that we shouldn't lose to, the majority wins that he had were unimpressive teams that we should have destroyed (just because we score 70 on somebody doesn't mean its a good win)... How long do I need to continue?

Until you convince yourself that it wasn't about wins, because nobody outside of Statesboro is buying it.

If you keep saying it enough, over and over and over, eventually it doesn't sound as strange does it?

claydus
December 6th, 2005, 10:10 AM
the way it should be
It's that cheapass turf for sure..... :o

gsugt1
December 6th, 2005, 10:15 AM
GSU pretty much owns FU. The series is 12-5 in GSU's favor.

3-1 in our last 4 meetings.

KJ Eagle
December 6th, 2005, 10:43 AM
[QUOTE=KJ Eagle]

Until you convince yourself that it wasn't about wins, because nobody outside of Statesboro is buying it.

If you keep saying it enough, over and over and over, eventually it doesn't sound as strange does it?

Doesn't sound strange to me at all. I don't care if nobody outside of Statesboro is buying it. We are the ones that have seen this program for the last 20 years and know a little bit more about it than a casual observer or someone that has seen a couple games on TV. The only thing that we are saying is that it is stupid to look at the record by itself and say that he won 35 games so his job will never be questioned. We have the athletes to win games that we should win. It is the coach's responsibility to make the right decisions and prepare the players to win the games that are close, and the games that are against quality opponents.

The program as a whole (again...more than the record) is not where it should be. I'm glad that we are taking a proactive stance and not being happy with the status quo. It may come back to haunt us, it may not. But at least we are not sitting on our heels and saying that we used to be a perennial force in the playoffs.

Eagles_Cliff
December 6th, 2005, 07:46 PM
To really understand the Sewak issue, one must see it through the eyes of the Eagle Faithful. First of all, GSU lives in the shadow of UGA and to a much lesser extent Ga Tech. Erk left UGA because he wasn't going to get the Head Coaching job. Many of the people who helped bring football back to Ga Southern were UGA people who wanted to help Erk. It had little to do with supporting Ga Southern.

Skipping ahead 8 years from 1981, Erk had accomplished more than ANYONE could've imagined. No football to 3 NC (84,85,89) and 1 runner up(88). Many had become GS fans instead of UGA fans helping Erk. A Program was born with a Tradition of being THE BEST immediately. Tim Stowers took over from Erk in 90 and Erk's team won another title. Stowers then started to look like a mediocre also-ran and was dismissed by Baker and replaced by Paul Johnson.

At the time of Stowers' firing, many were outraged by "Sam the Axeman's" actions. Afterall, GSU went 9-4 that year losing in the second round of the playoffs to Montana. Baker and GSU fans were placing unreasonable expectations on Tim Stowers. We had to face the fact that IAA had become much more competitive in the 90s and there was no way one team could dominate like GSU in the 80s. Introducing Paul Johnson-- 1997-2001 -- playoffs all five years, 2 NC, 1 runner-up, 5 SoCon titles.

In 2001, the week before meeting Furman in the semi-final at Paulson, Navy hired PJ and announced it before our game with Furman. Eagle fans were happy for PJ, but worried for our Program. The loss to Furman at home was shocking and that set the stage for whoever the next guy would be.

Mike Sewak and Rusty Russell were both being considered for the job and the Eagle Nation was split down the middle on who should get it. Sewak is announced as THE MAN and Rusty will stay as DC. Eagles start 2002 at 1-2, including a first ever loss to Wofford at home, but Chaz Williams sets records and Jermaine Austin begins to make a name for himself in the shadow of Adrian Peterson as GSU 10-0 before losing a heartbreaker at home to WKU in the semi's.

Recall that WKU lead most of the game and GSU staged a 2nd half comeback to go ahead late in the fourth quarter only to see WKU march down the field (in a fashion not unlike Tex St. a coupla weeks ago) and hand Eagle fans a second semi-fianal loss at home.

We didnt expect much in 2002 because we were breaking in a new sophomore quarterback, but wait til 2003! 2003's Eagles had pretty much the same names on their jerseys as the 2002 bunch, but were out of shape and went 7-4 missing the playoffs for the first time since 1996. 2004 was Chaz Williams' Senior year and we opened up with an impressive showing at UGA. GSU thrillingly STOMPED Wofford AND Appy at home, but lost a close one to Furman on the road blowing a lead.

With a lead and looking like we could close the deal in the second half, Eagle fans celebrated the news that S.Ill was defeated giving us home field advantage for the rest of the playoffs. New Hampshire made adjustments and GSU looked panicked...playing to "not lose" instead of to win.

Those who were the voices of reason in 2003, when some already wanted him fired, now joined the fray for Sewak's head at the close of 2004. The 2005 season began with Sewak's job on the line. When the Boosters announced they were extending Sewak's contract by three years many contributers were questioning the move. A lucky overtime win at Northeastern and two losses to Wofford and McNeese who were not very good football teams this year. The only quality win GSU had in 2005 was Furman. If you recall, that win was more a Furman loss. Martin threw an interception on his way to the endzone.

The humiliation suffered at Texas St. was definately the proverbial straw.

I was at the press conference, and Baker brought up the issue of "doing the things behind the scenes" that he thinks are "neccessary to win" as one of the primary reasons for his decision. Those things are not being discussed probably so Sewak can get another job. He's not a bad man, he's a good X and O guy, he's just not a Championship Caliber Coach and that's what we want.

Success at Georgia Southern is measured in National Championships, anything less is a disappointment. It's not arrogance, it's neccessary for our growth and success given our circumstances in the state of Georgia. I'll discuss these circumstances in another thread and look forward to feedback from those of you in similar circumsatances.

On with the show...Go Panthers!!!