PDA

View Full Version : Lamar Football Construction Cam

TexasTerror
July 3rd, 2009, 09:48 AM
All the updates as it relates to the construction at Lamar's football stadium will be posted at this blog link and there's even a cam to keep track of the progress...

http://www.lamarcardinals.com/blog/constructionblog.html

supercat11
July 3rd, 2009, 04:08 PM
Texas State really needs to have a webcam for our stadium expansion. I haven't seen anything (except for a few pictures) since the semester ended.

MaximumBobcat
July 3rd, 2009, 04:12 PM
Texas State really needs to have a webcam for our stadium expansion. I haven't seen anything (except for a few pictures) since the semester ended.

They're going to start giving tours of the suites and club seats this month.

houtexan
July 9th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Old field house is down now...and it looks like they've removed some of the berms around the end zones...some speculation that there will be additional seating added on both ends to bring the stadium from 17,500 to 22,000...no plans have been released still.

TexasTerror
July 9th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Are some of the things regarding expansion and renovation to the stadium put out by fans accurate? If it has not been confirmed or announced yet, wouldn't you think they would to spark more excitement, especially as they recruit?

centexguy
July 9th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Are some of the things regarding expansion and renovation to the stadium put out by fans accurate? If it has not been confirmed or announced yet, wouldn't you think they would to spark more excitement, especially as they recruit?

It's hard to say since the Lamar athletic department is a little on the secretive side when it comes to the stadium renovations and the new athletic complex. I do think people would get more excited if they saw some nice renderings of the stadium and complex. It does get frustrating trying to guess what exactly they plan to do.

I do know that when they originally scoped the project last year, they estimated it would cost around $22 million, which included adding VIP suites and club seating. Well, Lamar will spend close to $26 million on the stadium and athletic complex so that money must be going somewhere, either on expanding the stadium, the athletic complex, or both.

On Monday they started tearing down the old field house:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3552/3695408557_83750e8343.jpg?v=0

And today it's gone:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3425/3704102249_4367d127b4.jpg?v=0

And over the next year they'll be building this at that spot:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3092/2849166628_07164f84c4.jpg?v=0

houtexan
July 10th, 2009, 10:06 AM

Hard to say. Like Centex mentions everything has been shrouded in secrecy. All we can do is speculate for now. My guess is that there is a lot riding on the cost of the new Softball complex, the new Soccer complex, and the funds raised via bonds. There are likely other options in the wings that could generate additional funds. The early recommendations showed what had to be built in phase I and some recommendations for later phases (which included stadium expansion). All we have to go on are a few renderings and what we see on the 'live cam'.

89Hen
July 10th, 2009, 10:10 AM
some speculation that there will be additional seating added on both ends to bring the stadium from 17,500 to 22,000...no plans have been released still.
You expecting those kinds of crowds? xeyebrowx

houtexan
July 10th, 2009, 10:37 AM
You expecting those kinds of crowds? xeyebrowx

Depends. We already support some of the highest attendance figures in all of the other sports we participate in (note I did not say all sports before everyone starts bashing) and it depends on how well we do. Our facilities in basketball (Montagne Center 10,500) and baseball (Vincent Beck - 3,500) sell out on occasion. Provost-Umphrey stadium at 17,500 is currently the largest in the SLC (McNeese I believe is at 17,410). The metro area of Beaumont-Port Arthur-Orange filled the stadium for high school football games in the past with standng room only. It is not out of the question that the metro area (and the only college game in town) with a population of 450,000, many former alumni could easily get 22,000 butts in the seats. Particularly with close proximity traveling teams of McNeese, SHSU, SFA, and other nearby schools like Texas Southern / Prairie View (assuming they're scheduled), etc. So far LU has finally been doing things with Football correctly...win a few games and with the far-fetched possibility of going FBS...it could easily happen. Only time will tell.