PDA

View Full Version : CAA Forecast - Maine

jstclmet
July 2nd, 2009, 02:09 PM
The Pluses:
1. 15 Starters returning (8 Off, 5 Def, & 2 St).
2. The "O" will be led by QB Brusko, and FB Turcotte.
3. New DC, Rossi, promoted from within knows the system
4. Really good recruiting class.
5. Good size on the O-Line with RT Barber 6'6 295, RG Shea 6'4 291, C Spearin 6'2 290, LG Howley 6'3 293, and LT Eastman 6'6 321.

The Negatives:
1. 08 was a Senior led team. That type of loss (Belcher & co) isn't made up in a year.
2. This year's Black Bears will be young in places and thin in others (WR).
3. TB position still up in the air.

The Schedule:

9/3 Thu vs St. Cloud. Warm-up game for the Black Bears. Won't bother with the score. Maine wins easily.

9/12 Sat @ Northeastern. Conference opener on the road against a weakend Northeastern squad. Maine wins going away 27 - 3.

9/19 Sat @ Albany. CAA vs NEC. Maine takes on the defending NEC champs and proves decisively that the Danes have not yet arrived. Maine dominates early on defense and runs the smaller Danes into the ground 42 - 13.

9/26 Sat @ Syracuse. I want to be a CAA HOMER and say that Maine pulls the upset, but the Cuse will have too much depth and win easily at home. Maine falls 13 - 27.

10/3 Sat vs Delaware. UD comes into Alfond Stadium with heralded PSU xfer, Pat Devlin looking to avenge last season's loss on TV to the Black Bears. But, the Black Bears will have none of it. The Bears defense pressure Devlin into some early TO's to seize control of the game and win at home 27 - 17.

10/10 Sat @ Hofstra. Maine travels to Long Island only to find a revamped and fired up Pride team. HU matches up well with the Bears, and catches the Bears in a surprise upset. HU 24 - Maine 21.

10/17 Sat vs Richmond. Stunned by the previous week's loss, Maine doesn't answer the bell when defending NC UR comes into town. Falling behind early, Maine fights back to 20 - 27. However time runs out as UR leaves with the victory.

10/24 Bye.

10/31 Sat. vs Massachusetts. UMass comes into Orono looking for redemption, and leaves without it. Maine out muscles UMass with a 23 - 16 win.

11/7 Sat. @ James Madison. In their only trip to Va to face a CAA South foe, the Bears run into Dukes team fired up to make the playoffs. Both teams in "Must Win" situations, only the Dukes want it more. The Bears leave with their tales between their legs suffering an embarrasing 45 - 17 loss to the Dukes.

11/14 Sat. vs Rhode Island. Facing the rebuilding Rams, the Bears jump on the visitors early enroute to a 27 - 10 win.

11/21 @ New Hampshire. In what some will consider a "Play-In" game (Again), UNH marches 80 yds in the final minute of play to come from behind and steal the game 21 - 20.

Overall: 6 - 5, CAA 4 - 4

GannonFan
July 2nd, 2009, 03:06 PM
Does Syracuse ever beat anyone "easily" anymore? I'm not sure 'cuse would be .500 in the CAA this year.

Wildcat80
July 2nd, 2009, 03:53 PM
I think the Bears beat UR and hope we have "nice" weather for our playin game. It should be a dandy.

WMTribe90
July 2nd, 2009, 03:57 PM
Four to seven wins, no playoffs.

VT Wildcat Fan53
July 2nd, 2009, 09:45 PM
9/3 St. Cloud 3, Maine 56. CAA version of a FBS vs FCS game. 1-0

9/12 Maine 14 @ Northeastern 13. Turcotte runs for 200 yrds and both TDs. 2-0

9/19 Maine 24 @ Albany 27. Bob Ford's crew surprises the Black Bears in OT and the Danes get a major program victory. 2-1.

9/26 Maine 17 @ Syracuse 21. Turcotte shows he is a big timer with 150 yrds, but the pass offense stalls (again) and lowly FBS Orange pull out a nailbiter. 2-2

10/3 Delaware 17, Maine 21. Another nailbiter with Turcotte coming up big again, pulling a loss out of the fire with 40 yrd TD run with less than a minute to go in the game. Black Bear (lack of a) passing game continues to cause concern. 3-2

10/10 Maine 27 @ Hofstra 24. Hofstra shows up and plays better than advertised. However, Turcotte bails out the passing game (4 INTs) with yet another big day: 200yrds, 3 TDs. 4-2

10/17 Richmond 42, Maine 49. Defending Champs come to Orono with big post-season plans in mind (again). Brusco plays out of his mind (finally), tossing for 5 TDs. Turcotte is again a bright light, rushing for 150 yrds (much of them down the stretch during ball control time) and runs for 2 TD's. Huge & very unexpected win. 5-2

10/24 Bye.

10/31 Massachusetts 21, Maine 31. Sorry ZooMass. QB Brusco finally steps up and has a day, tossing for 3 TDs and amassing 350 yards passing. Turcotte gets shut down by big DL, but still rushes for a TD and 85 yrds. Another key Win! 6-2

11/7 Maine 14 @ James Madison 28. JMU handles the southern heat better than a quickly fatiguing Black Bear squad. Not as close as the score might indicate, either. 6-3

11/14 Rhode Island 0, Maine 28. URI stumbles and Turcotte takes advantage, cementing a bid for AA Honors by rushing for 250 yards and all 4 TDs. 7-3. A playoff securing win perhaps?

11/21 Maine 28 @ New Hampshire 35. A second straight classic in a swirling snowstorm. UNH's field turf makes for better than expected footing and both ground games excell. Turcotte continues his beastly ways, literally running over UNH defenders en route to 315 yrds rushing, but is "held" to just 2 TDs. UNH defense bends, but holds on late and lets the Wildcat offense pull out the game late. Final record 7-4.

Maine sneaks into the playoffs again, traveling to Montana for a first round game. Turcotte shows off on a national stage in front of a full house on ESPN, rushing for 280 yrds, 4 TDs and Maine upsets UM 31-28 in OT.

Next week ??? How about a rematch vs UNH in Durham vs the #2 nationally ranked Wildcats? Nope -- UNH won't get a home game from NCAA, ...... stay tuned, .....

Seawolf97
July 2nd, 2009, 09:57 PM
I think Maine can scratch out 7 wins maybe 8. The Syracuse game will be closer than most people think . Orange 31 Maine 20.

UNHWildCats
July 2nd, 2009, 10:13 PM
9/3 St. Cloud 3, Maine 56. CAA version of a FBS vs FCS game. 1-0

9/12 Maine 14 @ Northeastern 13. Turcotte runs for 200 yrds and both TDs. 2-0

9/19 Maine 24 @ Albany 27. Bob Ford's crew surprises the Black Bears in OT and the Danes get a major program victory. 2-1.

9/26 Maine 17 @ Syracuse 21. Turcotte shows he is a big timer with 150 yrds, but the pass offense stalls (again) and lowly FBS Orange pull out a nailbiter. 2-2

10/3 Delaware 17, Maine 21. Another nailbiter with Turcotte coming up big again, pulling a loss out of the fire with 40 yrd TD run with less than a minute to go in the game. Black Bear (lack of a) passing game continues to cause concern. 3-2

10/10 Maine 27 @ Hofstra 24. Hofstra shows up and plays better than advertised. However, Turcotte bails out the passing game (4 INTs) with yet another big day: 200yrds, 3 TDs. 4-2

10/17 Richmond 42, Maine 49. Defending Champs come to Orono with big post-season plans in mind (again). Brusco plays out of his mind (finally), tossing for 5 TDs. Turcotte is again a bright light, rushing for 150 yrds (much of them down the stretch during ball control time) and runs for 2 TD's. Huge & very unexpected win. 5-2

10/24 Bye.

10/31 Massachusetts 21, Maine 31. Sorry ZooMass. QB Brusco finally steps up and has a day, tossing for 3 TDs and amassing 350 yards passing. Turcotte gets shut down by big DL, but still rushes for a TD and 85 yrds. Another key Win! 6-2

11/7 Maine 14 @ James Madison 28. JMU handles the southern heat better than a quickly fatiguing Black Bear squad. Not as close as the score might indicate, either. 6-3

11/14 Rhode Island 0, Maine 28. URI stumbles and Turcotte takes advantage, cementing a bid for AA Honors by rushing for 250 yards and all 4 TDs. 7-3. A playoff securing win perhaps?

11/21 Maine 28 @ New Hampshire 35. A second straight classic in a swirling snowstorm. UNH's field turf makes for better than expected footing and both ground games excell. Turcotte continues his beastly ways, literally running over UNH defenders en route to 315 yrds rushing, but is "held" to just 2 TDs. UNH defense bends, but holds on late and lets the Wildcat offense pull out the game late. Final record 7-4.

Maine sneaks into the playoffs again, traveling to Montana for a first round game. Turcotte shows off on a national stage in front of a full house on ESPN, rushing for 280 yrds, 4 TDs and Maine upsets UM 31-28 in OT.

Next week ??? How about a rematch vs UNH in Durham vs the #2 nationally ranked Wildcats? Nope -- UNH won't get a home game from NCAA, ...... stay tuned, .....
if UNH is ranked #2 nationally they will have a 2nd round home game if they make it to the 2nd round.

Husky Alum
July 2nd, 2009, 10:25 PM
Does Syracuse ever beat anyone "easily" anymore? I'm not sure 'cuse would be .500 in the CAA this year.

A 2-10 NU team gave Syracuse fits last year....

Houndawg
July 3rd, 2009, 07:00 AM
Maine will go 6-5 or 5-6 this year, but at least they get to duck 'Nova, who will be a seed.

jmufan999
July 3rd, 2009, 07:57 AM
VT Wildcat, not sure how much "heat" there will be in VA in October.... at that time, it'll probably be a gorgeous mid 60's-70's. you also bolded the wrong team in the UR/Maine game, but anyway... i want another shot at maine this year. i realize we won last year but it wasn't the way we wanted to win. probably played our worst game all season until the Montana game. i hope we absolutely crush them. never know how it'll shake out, though.

Wildcat80
July 3rd, 2009, 08:21 AM
If we are ranked #2 and do not get a second round home game .....do we finally get the Governor, State & Alums to expand the stadium?? Just Win Baby! xnodx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
July 3rd, 2009, 09:01 AM
If we are ranked #2 and do not get a second round home game .....do we finally get the Governor, State & Alums to expand the stadium?? Just Win Baby! xnodx

Like Travis said, if a team is ranked #2, they'll be seeded. Once seeded all you have to do is bid the minimum for the round and you're guaranteed the home game.

The State of NH doesn't adequately support UNH on the academic side of things. Approximately 13% of the operating expenses come from state funds. Out of state enrollment is approaching 50% because that is how they balance the budget. They've been doing that since they broke the old 20% threshold/barrier when I was in school. Sorry to say but I don't think you'll ever see the State of NH providing even 10% of a stadium project. It will take private donations or me hitting Powerball/Megabucks!!

As for Maine, I'm waiting to see how well they replace their defensive stars and sheer numbers lost to graduation. And don't forget the St. Cloud win won't count for playoff consideration. Last year Maine played 12 games and had an extra D-I win compared to W&M which seemed to be a factor. This year will be the opposite, 7-4 will really be 6-4 to the committee (extremely doubtful that would get a bid this year, next year is a different story), 8-3 will be 7-3. They'll have to really stack up well against the other 8-3 teams.

There's no reason Maine should be in this dilemma because they originally had Florida State locked down for their $$$$ game. They had plenty of time to fill the other two OOC games. Even when FSU bagged them, they got a double pay day when Syracuse scheduled them. The best with that extra money you could do was St. Cloud? Why not pay an OVC, MEAC or Southland team to come to Orono? Shoot, why didn't they schedule a NEC team, didn't Wagner need a game? Any FCS team was better than a D-II team. Jeff has valid reasons to be so pissed at his AD.

JMHO, Maine needs to go 9-2 to be a lock for the playoffs.

Uncle Buck
July 4th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Maine didn't impress me that much last year and while they are a good team, i think they will have some holes to fill. I agree that they will need 9-2 to get to the playoffs, but i don't see that happening.

UNH Fanboi
July 4th, 2009, 03:19 PM
The State of NH doesn't adequately support UNH on the academic side of things. Approximately 13% of the operating expenses come from state funds. Out of state enrollment is approaching 50% because that is how they balance the budget. They've been doing that since they broke the old 20% threshold/barrier when I was in school. Sorry to say but I don't think you'll ever see the State of NH providing even 10% of a stadium project. It will take private donations or me hitting Powerball/Megabucks!!

For a team that has made the playoffs 5 years in a row and has been ranked #1 for several weeks, that stadium is embarrassing. But yeah, NH is cheap because they do not have a state income tax.