PDA

View Full Version : Best Pro Prospect

KiddBrewer
December 5th, 2005, 12:19 AM
If you were an NFL scout, which of the players left on the four semifinals teams would you want the most?

Being an Appalachian fan, id have to say either Richie Williams or Jason Hunter....whats everybody else think based on what they know about the players.

TXST_CAT
December 5th, 2005, 12:25 AM
If you were an NFL scout, which of the players left on the four semifinals teams would you want the most?

Being an Appalachian fan, id have to say either Richie Williams or Jason Hunter....whats everybody else think based on what they know about the players.

Given the fact Nealy has already been predicted to be the 5th QB taken in the Draft and a late second round pick I think that says alot. :nod: :nod: :nod:

thirdgendin
December 5th, 2005, 12:25 AM
I have seen a number of draft rankings lists (top 10-15) where William Freeman is the only non I-A inside linebacker listed. He should get drafted.

Ingle Martin will get a shot as a punter and possibly a backup QB.

PantherMan
December 5th, 2005, 12:29 AM
Given the fact Nealy has already been predicted to be the 5th QB taken in the Draft and a late second round pick I think that says alot. :nod: :nod: :nod:

Yeah, as far as skill position players, Nealy is probably the top pro prospect.

TxSt02
December 5th, 2005, 01:25 AM

he's at 4 now...

Top 5 seniors by position

Quarterbacks
1. Matt Leinart, USC
2. Jay Cutler, Vanderbilt
3. Brodie Croyle, Alabama
4. Barrick Nealy, Texas State
5. Darrell Hackney, UAB

Cocky
December 5th, 2005, 07:40 AM
he's at 4 now...

Quarterbacks
1. Matt Leinart, USC
5. Darrell Hackney, UAB

I bet he goes to 3. Croyle isn't tough enough to play in the NFL. His dad has came out in the paper blaming the team for all of Brodie's mistakes this year.

FU97
December 5th, 2005, 07:58 AM
he's at 4 now...

Quarterbacks
1. Matt Leinart, USC
5. Darrell Hackney, UAB

He'll get bumped down the list when underclassmen start declarinig. Jacobs (Bowling Green) and Young (Texas) are likely to come out and both will be first round picks. That will likely push Nealy into the 3rd round. After Leinart, Jacobs, and Young, I don't see a QB that I would want in the first two rounds.

AppGuy04
December 5th, 2005, 08:09 AM
I'd say Nealy, Jason Hunter, and William Freeman(long as he's not fat :smiley_wi )

Reed Rothchild
December 5th, 2005, 08:56 AM
If Erik Meyer gets a shot at the combine, he'll make noise.

HenHouse1
December 5th, 2005, 11:01 AM
The only sure fire prospect is Nealy. This kid has made some mistakes from the two games I watched, but there is no doubt that he has got talent and potential. If Young and the Bowling Green kid don't declare, he has a chance to go number 2, just because of his athletic ability and upside. I think he is a similar player to Vince Young, but maybe a step or two below him.

GannonFan
December 5th, 2005, 11:05 AM
he's at 4 now...

Quarterbacks
1. Matt Leinart, USC
5. Darrell Hackney, UAB

If that's a real list it just goes to show how weak the QB position will be in the draft this year. Croyle at #3? He's a gamer and all but the step down from Leinart to number 2 is a mighty big step. He's the only one I'd say who will even stick in the NFL on that list, let alone get a shot.

Killsback
December 5th, 2005, 11:27 AM
After watching Williams the whole game against SIU, he would have to be put into the perfect system to play in the NFL at QB. He is a great athlete, but I am not so sure about him being a drop back QB. Yes he can scramble to buy some time, but I am just not sold on him being an NFL quarterback prospect. Now their defensive ends...they are the real deal. Quick, strong, very good.

ASU Kep
December 5th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Our DE's would probably end up LBs in the pros, but they'd be damn good ones.

hapapp
December 5th, 2005, 11:50 AM
After watching Williams the whole game against SIU, he would have to be put into the perfect system to play in the NFL at QB. He is a great athlete, but I am not so sure about him being a drop back QB. Yes he can scramble to buy some time, but I am just not sold on him being an NFL quarterback prospect. Now their defensive ends...they are the real deal. Quick, strong, very good.
Richie is a more likely CFL candidate if he as pro aspirations. I don't think he has the kind of game that the NFL requires.

DinoDex200
December 5th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Richie is a more likely CFL candidate if he as pro aspirations. I don't think he has the kind of game that the NFL requires.

He's accurate, but he doesn't exactly have a rifle arm. I think if he could get on a practice squad, work with an NFL strength coach and get bigger and stronger, he may have a shot.

More likely he goes CFL or Arena and has a long and productive career in one of those 2 leagues...hopefully on the same team as DaVon Fowlkes! :)

Catmendue2
December 5th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Jason Hatcher DE 6'8" 295 lbs Grambling, has all the tools.

FU97
December 5th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Jason Hatcher DE 6'8" 295 lbs Grambling, has all the tools.

Struggle with Reading Comprehension, eh?

AppGuy04
December 5th, 2005, 12:40 PM
He's accurate, but he doesn't exactly have a rifle arm. I think if he could get on a practice squad, work with an NFL strength coach and get bigger and stronger, he may have a shot.

More likely he goes CFL or Arena and has a long and productive career in one of those 2 leagues...hopefully on the same team as DaVon Fowlkes! :)

where is Davon playing?

CoastalFan2005
December 5th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Okay, so I know that usually, kickers aren't thought of as draft prospects. However, being a CCU fan, I have to mention Josh Hoke. Not that he's leaving after this season, but I think that he will eventually have a productive career in pro football.

blackfordpu
December 5th, 2005, 12:51 PM
I would have to say Nealy but I don't think he will stay at the QB position unless he refines his throwing technique. He releases the ball side arm and low, does not take advantage of his height. Maybe move him to WR or possibly a DB.

I have heard this type of talk involving Young as well. Same problem with his release.

KiddBrewer
December 5th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Okay, so I know that usually, kickers aren't thought of as draft prospects. However, being a CCU fan, I have to mention Josh Hoke. Not that he's leaving after this season, but I think that he will eventually have a productive career in pro football.

I went to school with Josh at West Iredell in Statesville, NC. He has a very strong leg that has improved a lot since high school. I agree that he is a pro prospect. I said that when he was kicking up here at App when we played them. He booted all his kicks out of the back of the endzone.

KiddBrewer
December 5th, 2005, 12:59 PM
anybody think Richie Williams could have be a reciever at the NFL level?

Killsback
December 5th, 2005, 01:46 PM
What is his 40 time. it is all about the speed in the NFL. His size is obviously good, but can he flat out run? He did not show it against SIU as they contained him pretty well (36 yards rushing I think). He was quick, but did not seem overly fast.

Tom W
December 5th, 2005, 02:22 PM
I don't know his name, but on TV against Cal Poly Texas states Big Defensive Tackle looked Dominating!

TxSt02
December 5th, 2005, 02:37 PM
I don't know his name, but on TV against Cal Poly Texas states Big Defensive Tackle looked Dominating!

Fred Evans #55...

going to the Hula Bowl this year

pt_prodigy
December 5th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Fred Evans #55...

going to the Hula Bowl this year

along with Nealy, might I add, for those who didnt know.

SoCon48
December 5th, 2005, 04:02 PM

Richie has already said that his best chance is to play in Europe first.

diznanl
December 5th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Why would Eric Meyer not be considered a first round draft choice? Help me out here ... where do people get these lists?

Chi Panther
December 5th, 2005, 08:34 PM
anybody think Richie Williams could have be a reciever at the NFL level?

I've said the same thing on here quite a few times..... :nod: that is his NFL position :nod:

pt_prodigy
December 5th, 2005, 08:41 PM
Why would Eric Meyer not be considered a first round draft choice? Help me out here ... where do people get these lists?

the list is from mel kiper jr. on espn.com, but its insider so us poor college students have to use google and hope to find it cited somewhere else

tralfangar
December 5th, 2005, 09:43 PM
What is his 40 time. it is all about the speed in the NFL. His size is obviously good, but can he flat out run? He did not show it against SIU as they contained him pretty well (36 yards rushing I think). He was quick, but did not seem overly fast.

Yes..."contained". Maybe he didnt need to run because he was torching their secondary through the air and their DL couldn't get near him? I look forward to seeing him "contained" this Saturady as well. :asswhip:

McNeese75
December 5th, 2005, 09:48 PM
I would have to say Nealy but I don't think he will stay at the QB position unless he refines his throwing technique. He releases the ball side arm and low, does not take advantage of his height. Maybe move him to WR or possibly a DB.

I have heard this type of talk involving Young as well. Same problem with his release.

I agree with your thoughts here. I see Nealy as a better WR than QB in the pros. :nod:

TXST_CAT
December 6th, 2005, 12:36 AM

Bret Farve throws side arm quite a bit also as do several other Pro QB's. If that is his only fault I think that means he has a lot of potential and has yet to peak in his ability.

AppStateSVX
December 6th, 2005, 09:58 AM
I remember hearing something about Richie being a prospect for either WR or RB for the NFL

blackfordpu
December 6th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Bret Farve throws side arm quite a bit also as do several other Pro QB's. If that is his only fault I think that means he has a lot of potential and has yet to peak in his ability.

Please tell me you are not comparing Nealy with one of the best QB's ever in the NFL. Farve can/could throw the ball any style he wants to. He pretty much throws it in the way that the situation demands. If you look at his release it is overall over hand. Nealy is what, 6'4 but his release is where a 5'11 QBs release would be.

KiddBrewer
December 6th, 2005, 06:01 PM
I remember hearing something about Richie being a prospect for either WR or RB for the NFL

Running back........hes not quite got the body for a RB now does he?

McNeese75
December 6th, 2005, 08:30 PM

Farve is not someone you should be comparing Nealy to!! :nono:

KiddBrewer
December 6th, 2005, 10:15 PM
just a note: his name is Brett Favre, not Brett Farve.

blue man fan
December 7th, 2005, 09:34 AM
I read somewhere that the RB from Western Illinois (his name escapes me) was listed highly by pro scouts. Nealy from Tx St. was also listed in the QB ranks.

blackfordpu
December 7th, 2005, 07:04 PM
just a note: his name is Brett Favre, not Brett Farve.

Spank you helpy helperton. :)

asufan87
December 7th, 2005, 09:19 PM
IMO, ASU's best pro prospect is only a junior. TE Daniel Bettis.

AppGuy04
December 7th, 2005, 09:22 PM
IMO, ASU's best pro prospect is only a junior. TE Daniel Bettis.

Corey Lynch

paladin09
December 7th, 2005, 10:45 PM
I would say that Ingle Martin is a sure fire prospect, but at punter and not as a quarterback. He can even kick field goals and that can do nothing but help his draft status.

MACHIAVELLI
December 8th, 2005, 12:51 AM
http://gramblingstateuniversity.com/2005%20042.jpg
#90 Jason Hatcher 6-6 290 DE
Grambling State University

What's next is almost certainly a career in the NFL. Hatcher passes the eyeball test for scouts. Better still, he's become a gym rat, working out incessantly.

The game tape that most NFL scouts are requesting is Grambling's Sept. 17 date against Washington State, where Hatcher battled with left tackle Bobby Byrd. His seven-tackle performance against the Pac-10 school impressed WSU coach Bill Doba, who said Hatcher was as good as any lineman he's seen.

DraftShowcase.com has Hatcher listed as the No. 18 prospect in the nation among small school players. Diamond in the Rough, a Web site devoted to black college prospects, calls Hatcher a sleeper.

Jason Hatcher (http://thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051204/SPORTS/512040349/1006/NEWS17)

http://gramblingstateuniversity.com/camppics1%20150.jpg
Lennard Patton 6-4 294 DT
Grambling State University

AppGuy04
December 8th, 2005, 07:47 AM
I would say that Ingle Martin is a sure fire prospect, but at punter and not as a quarterback. He can even kick field goals and that can do nothing but help his draft status.

not sure the NFL values "utility men" like MLB does

wildcat2
December 8th, 2005, 11:48 AM
If the pros are looking for kickers they should look no further than UNH kicker Connor McCormick. Played all 48 games of his career and broke all the records in NH. Won 7-8 games over that span. New Hampshire and the east coast is the hardest place to kick. All games are in the afternoon and there is always a wind. Not to mention the cold. Good training for the NFL.

MACHIAVELLI
December 22nd, 2005, 07:37 PM
the list is from mel kiper jr. on espn.com, but its insider so us poor college students have to use google and hope to find it cited somewhere else

Updated Info. as of 12/22/05
NFL Insider... Quarterbacks
1. Matt Leinart, USC
4. Bruce Eugene, Grambling
5. Barrick Nealy, Texas State
5a. Darrell Hackney, UAB
5b. Brett Basanez, Northwestern

NFL Insider... Defensive Ends
1. Tamba Hali, Penn State
2. Mathias Kiwanuka, Boston College
3. Elvis Dumervil, Louisville
4. Kamerion Wimbley, Florida State
5. Manny Lawson, NC State
5a. Jason Hatcher, Grambling
5b. Charlton Keith, Kansas
5c. Eric Henderson, Georgia Tech

dirtbag
December 22nd, 2005, 10:09 PM
Updated Info. as of 12/22/05
NFL Insider... Quarterbacks
1. Matt Leinart, USC
4. Bruce Eugene, Grambling
5. Barrick Nealy, Texas State
5a. Darrell Hackney, UAB
5b. Brett Basanez, Northwestern

Eugene is a fantastic college player, God bless him, but this is ridiculous. You can count on one hand the number of NFL QB's who are 6'1" or under. And none of those guys weigh 260, either. The NFL is far more interested in guys who look like they could play QB (size, arm strength) than guys who can play QB (13K yards, 140 TDs).

I'll be really surprised if he gets drafted, and I'd bet big money that Nealy goes before him.

Catmendue2
December 22nd, 2005, 11:43 PM
Eugene is a fantastic college player, God bless him, but this is ridiculous. You can count on one hand the number of NFL QB's who are 6'1" or under. And none of those guys weigh 260, either. The NFL is far more interested in guys who look like they could play QB (size, arm strength) than guys who can play QB (13K yards, 140 TDs).

I'll be really surprised if he gets drafted, and I'd bet big money that Nealy goes before him.

I guess you know more than the folks that actually saw all of the above. Can't you guy be happy for a kid instead of going where the pro scout won't even venture.

HATIN WILL GET YOU NOTHING.

Bruce Eugene apparently isn't paying much attention to what you think he is in Phoenix training wiith Donovan Mcnabb getting ready for the combines. :hurray: with a masters' degree in his hands.

MACHIAVELLI
December 23rd, 2005, 07:16 AM

Bruce has has beaten the odds all of his life. He was told he couldn't play basketball but he did. He was told he couldn't be a high school QB, but he was. He was told he couldn't play QB at the college level, he did. It was said that he couldn't recover from a acl/mcl type of injury but he did. It was said that he would catch Willie Totten TD record but he has. Scouts from Oakland, Arizona, Cleveland, Saints, Chicago, 49ers, Tampa, Chiefs, Rams, Miami, Dallas, Detroit, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Baltimore, Washington and the Jets have made multiple visits to Grambling to see Bruce specifically. I hope he gets drafted, he probably won't. All he needs is a legit shot.

Canyoncat
December 23rd, 2005, 09:18 AM
For Montana State:

Jeff Bolton OL (probably a center in NFL) 6-4 304
Maybe Travis Lulay, but I doubt it. He might get an invite. As great as he was for us, I just don't think he is NFL material. Rick Gatewood WR might get a look. We'll see though.

GO CATS!!

dirtbag
December 23rd, 2005, 09:54 AM
I guess you know more than the folks that actually saw all of the above. Can't you guy be happy for a kid instead of going where the pro scout won't even venture.

HATIN WILL GET YOU NOTHING.

Your reading comprehension is seriously whacked if you read my post as a criticism of Eugene. It's the opposite -- it's a criticism of the NFL.