PDA

View Full Version : Meyer or Santos?

Reed Rothchild
December 4th, 2005, 10:20 PM
Meyer. No doubt. We put a lot more pressure on Meyer and he stood in there and made it look easy against our D. Yes, Santos and Ball did too, but I thought Meyer was just plain betteer. It is really scary that Santos is only a sophomore. :nod: :nod: :bow: :bow:

PantherMan
December 4th, 2005, 11:06 PM
Meyer, no doubt in my mind. Santos is good, but that Meyer kid was a STUD. :twocents:

pt_prodigy
December 4th, 2005, 11:34 PM
neither...as in yall will be unanimously saying Nealy after this weekend

i hope :)

PantherMan
December 4th, 2005, 11:44 PM
neither...as in yall will be unanimously saying Nealy after this weekend

i hope :)

Maybe so, but from what I saw early in the GSU game and all day against CP, Nealy isn't quite on the level of the other two. That doesn't mean he won't come out and scorch us Friday, as he is a special player. Will be fun to watch him under the lights Friday night on the DEUCE! :hurray: xprost2x

eagle1
December 5th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Thanks Panther fans for the support of Erik Meyer. He should win the Payton award hands down. Go Eagles!!!

Saint3333
December 5th, 2005, 11:29 AM
If UNI beats TSU and ASU wins this week, UNI will have faced IMO the best 4 QBs 1-AA has to offer in Meyer, Santos, Nealy, and Williams. Ingle Martin is a great QB too. If UNI could go all the way their DC needs a BIG raise.

Reed Rothchild
December 5th, 2005, 11:32 AM
If UNI beats TSU and ASU wins this week, UNI will have faced IMO the best 4 QBs 1-AA has to offer in Meyer, Santos, Nealy, and Williams. Ingle Martin is a great QB too. If UNI could go all the way their DC needs a BIG raise.

He already deserves one, trust me. If we win this game, we'll face Martin or Williams. What a thought....

Granite
December 5th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Meyer. No doubt. We put a lot more pressure on Meyer and he stood in there and made it look easy against our D. Yes, Santos and Ball did too, but I thought Meyer was just plain betteer. It is really scary that Santos is only a sophomore. :nod: :nod: :bow: :bow:

I haven't seen Meyer play, so I can't compare the two except by the numbers. But I will say that UNI didn't see vintage Ricky Santos on Saturday, so any comparison between what you saw in Round 1 and Round 2 of the playoffs should be balanced by what both of these guys did all year long. The biggest plus for Meyer in my mind is the fact that he's a senior and Ricky still has 2 more years to win this award.

I'm sure some of Ricky's performance was due to the UNI defense on Saturday, and they certainly get all the credit for keeping the UNH offense from controlling the game. But I disagree that there should be "no doubt" that Meyer wins the Payton after watching Santos' performance in one game this season.

HiHiYikas
December 5th, 2005, 12:54 PM

If UNI goes to the championship, faces App State, and pulls off a win, they ought to go ahead and add exhibition games against Brown and Grambling State to the postseason.

They can call it "UNI's Payton Schmayton Series." In the end, they'll be given the Ultra-Collosal-Fan-Payton-Tastic award.

Hats off to 'em.

Chi Panther
December 5th, 2005, 01:10 PM
If UNI goes to the championship, faces App State, and pulls off a win, they ought to go ahead and add exhibition games against Brown and Grambling State to the postseason.

They can call it "UNI's Payton Schmayton Series." In the end, they'll be given the Ultra-Collosal-Fan-Payton-Tastic award.

Hats off to 'em.

Saint3333 If UNI beats TSU and ASU wins this week, UNI will have faced IMO the best 4 QBs 1-AA has to offer in Meyer, Santos, Nealy, and Williams. Ingle Martin is a great QB too. If UNI could go all the way their DC needs a BIG raise.

OR maybe the Payton should go to Eric Sanders....UNI's QB who is only 2nd is Pass Eff this season.....he is a soph.....but he has missed 2.5 games this year.....

Bronco
December 5th, 2005, 01:12 PM
I'd pick Meyer but I saw two ESPN shows where they were raving about Santos...that's good press and will be hard to overcome by a QB in the west.

JohnStOnge
December 5th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Maybe so, but from what I saw early in the GSU game and all day against CP, Nealy isn't quite on the level of the other two. That doesn't mean he won't come out and scorch us Friday, as he is a special player. Will be fun to watch him under the lights Friday night on the DEUCE! :hurray: xprost2x

I said it before but I'm still dumbfounded. I can understand not being overly impressed by his Cal Poly performance. But on opening round day Nealy completed 72 percent of his passes while Meyer completed 57 percent. He threw for 400 yards while Meyer threw for 387. He averaged 12.5 yards per passing attempt and 17.4 per competion while Meyer averaged 8.8 per attempt and 15.5 per completion. He did throw one interception while Meyer didn't throw any, but he also rushed for 126 yards 12 carries to Meyer's 36 on 16.

Just what would he have to do to be perceived as being "quite on the level" of Meyer? Completing a substantially higher percentage of his passes, throwing for more yardage, averaging better than 40 percent more per passing attempt, averaging 10.5 yards per rush to Meyer's 2.3, and getting over 100 yards more in total offense wasn't enough? There is no possible way any objective person could say Meyer had a better performance during the opening round than Nealy did.

Heck, even in a bad performance against Cal Poly his completion percentage, at 54, was almost as high as what Meyer's was against Northern Iowa.

I saw Meyer play last season against Sam Houston State. There is no way he is capable of being anywhere close to as dangerous a quarterback as Nealy is when Nealy's playing like he did against Georgia Southern and Texas A&M. I don't know if you saw the highlight they showed during the Cal Poly telecast of the TD run he got against Texas A&M, but there's no way Meyer could even approach doing anything like that.

The only question is whether or not he's going to be in that kind of zone against Northern Iowa.

strike00
December 5th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Santos is good, but Meyer is the best QB UNI has faced this year without a doubt.

Santos is only a Sophmore though, A-10 DC's have to worry about him for the next two years. :eek:

user101
December 5th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Both are good, but dont seem to like to take hits. This isnt a bad thing, its probably smarter, but when a quarterback can take hit after hit it makes for a really good game. And when that quarterback also has a good arm, good vision, and great instinct, that makes for a really great game, and a damn good team. That is why i am, and always will be a huge fan of Travis Lulay.

Reed Rothchild
December 5th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Thanks for hijacking my thread with comments on Nealy. Nealy is not a finalist for the Payton award. Perhaps he should be, but regardless, I started this thread to discuss 2 players whom UNI has played against in order to compare their chances for the award.

JohnStOnge
December 5th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Santos is good, but Meyer is the best QB UNI has faced this year without a doubt.

Santos is only a Sophmore though, A-10 DC's have to worry about him for the next two years. :eek:

GEEZE. The guy hit 57 percent of his passes and averaged 8.8 yards per attempt. Iowa's starter hit 83 percent of his passes and averaged 13.7 per attempt against UNI. Southern Illinois' QB hit 76 percent of his passes and averaged 8.7 per attempt.

Meyer's numbers against UNI weren't bad but they certainly weren't anything that should make somebody say OH MY GOSH...what a quarterback! Are you sure you guys were paying attention to how often his passes hit the ground?

I wondered about this when y'all first put that post up about how great the two QBs played and listed the stats. Meyers' stats were solid but not outstanding. I just don't get this thing about you guys thinking that's the best QB you've seen this year. His numbers against your team certainly don't support that assessment.

JohnStOnge
December 5th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Thanks for hijacking my thread with comments on Nealy. Nealy is not a finalist for the Payton award. Perhaps he should be, but regardless, I started this thread to discuss 2 players whom UNI has played against in order to compare their chances for the award.

If you noticed the quote in my post I was responding to someone saying Nealy is not at Meyer's level. If nobody had said that I wouldn't have brought Nealy up.

JohnStOnge
December 5th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Both are good, but dont seem to like to take hits. This isnt a bad thing, its probably smarter, but when a quarterback can take hit after hit it makes for a really good game. And when that quarterback also has a good arm, good vision, and great instinct, that makes for a really great game, and a damn good team. That is why i am, and always will be a huge fan of Travis Lulay.

Sometimes when a coach thinks that he's got no shot to win the national championship if his ace gets hurt he might tell the guy to take dives.

Reed Rothchild
December 5th, 2005, 01:50 PM
GEEZE. The guy hit 57 percent of his passes and averaged 8.8 yards per attempt. Iowa's starter hit 83 percent of his passes and averaged 13.7 per attempt against UNI. Southern Illinois' QB hit 76 percent of his passes and averaged 8.7 per attempt.

Meyer's numbers against UNI weren't bad but they certainly weren't anything that should make somebody say OH MY GOSH...what a quarterback! Are you sure you guys were paying attention to how often his passes hit the ground?

GEEZE. Like most the the times, the stats never tell the whole story. Most of the UNI fans on this board watched both games at the dome and on tv. You were not there so all you can evaluate is the stats. I watched Erik Meyer stand in his own endzone on 3rd and 28 and throw a perfect pass with 2 UNI guys right in his face. I watched him use ALL of his weapons on almost every play to gain a lot of yards against our defense. I also watched him use his legs to make things happen.

EWU's offensive line was no where near the ability of UNH's, but Meyer still made a lot more plays for that team. Like I said before, if Meyer has a stronger team around him, they would win the national championship this year.

Reed Rothchild
December 5th, 2005, 01:52 PM

I saw Meyer take a lot of hits and keep on coming. He was tough as nails.

igo4uni
December 5th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Both Meyer and Santos are good, no doubt about it.

I too, felt Meyer was the better QB. Maybe it was because EWU put up 38 on us and UNH only got 21. Maybe the passing conditions were better inside the Fabulous UNI-Dome. I just felt that Meyer was picking the UNI defense to pieces. I know we gave up a ton of yards to Santos and Co., but we were stopping them on 4th down and not giving up the points compared to EWU.

Santos will be tough next year. Ball is a jr. so those 2 should be pretty good.

Tom W
December 5th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Ask the Cal Poly people who they think is the better QB! Against Cal Poly once this year and last year Meyer passed for more that 400 yards each game with 7 TD's and Zero int's, The thing that Meyer is capable of that most people do not understand is he is a great runner and extemely elusive! He was sacked 7 time agains UNI and pressured many more times, he is so increadably accurate with his passes and very seldomly makes a bad read. Nealy biggest disadvantage compared to Meyer is he is not consistantly accurate. The good thing about this is that he will only get better with his accuracy.

Tailbone
December 5th, 2005, 02:34 PM
With apologies to RR, since this thread appears to have been hijacked (or at least expanded to include Nealy), It seems that the answer to your question has come down to this:

Meyer & Nealy = 1 & 2 (in no particular order)
Santos = 3rd

My take, both are exceptional quarterbacks but If made to choose it'd be Meyer - based on his experience and ability to read defenses.

Santos however, is only a sophomore, ask this same question in 2 years and I might answer differently.

strike00
December 5th, 2005, 03:10 PM

I wondered about this when y'all first put that post up about how great the two QBs played and listed the stats. Meyers' stats were solid but not outstanding. I just don't get this thing about you guys thinking that's the best QB you've seen this year. His numbers against your team certainly don't support that assessment

Relax. Everybody is so obsessed with stats. I had witnessed all the games you had mentioned. During the EWU game UNI pressured Meyer all day. EWU also had no running game(other than Meyer) The fact is Meyer made unbelievable plays under duress. Trust me, I went into the EWU game not believing the hype. But the man can play.
and yes I would put his performance above Sambursky, Santos, and Tate.
IMO.

Tom W
December 5th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Relax. Everybody is so obsessed with stats. I had witnessed all the games you had mentioned. During the EWU game UNI pressured Meyer all day. EWU also had no running game(other than Meyer) The fact is Meyer made unbelievable plays under duress. Trust me, I went into the EWU game not believing the hype. But the man can play.
and yes I would put his performance above Sambursky, Santos, and Tate.
IMO.
The thing that is common thread with Meyer; After a new team and their fans get to see him in person they believe that he is the best QB they have seen! He has been doing it for a long time, in his soph. year he had 20 TD and only three int. I am really going to miss just watching him work!

Wellington
December 5th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Yes, I believe Meyer deserves it as of now, but Santos will get it within the next two years most likely.

crunifan
December 5th, 2005, 04:10 PM
As UNI and UNH properly displayed on Saturday, stats don't mean a damn thing.

I personally think Meyer is the better quarterback at the moment. He had to deal with more pressure and he still shined. But, that is not to downplay Santos, he is easily on of the best I-AA quarterbacks and in my opinion will be competiting with Sanders in two years for the top prize!

diznanl
December 5th, 2005, 04:31 PM
UNI really did put the hurting on Meyer ... I was only listening to internet radio but I could still imagine those hits coming. Meyer's got the arm, the experience, the brains, and the mobility. We're going to have a heck of a time finding a guy for next year. It'll be fun watching him in the pros, though.

bcrawf
December 5th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Meyer, No Question!!

Did anyone else notice watching on Saturday, that Santos is not to fond of getting hit. The first 4th down they went for he scrambled, saw Heideman and Koebcke and hit the deck as fast as he possibly could. That happened the entire game. The first down was not as important as not getting hit, not much of a leader.

Meyer stood in and took shots in the first round and came back and got better as the game went on.

I see Santos as the 5th or 6th best quarterback in the nation.

1- Meyer- EWU- Will play on Sundays, great player
2- Nealy- TSU- Athletic ability scares me for Friday, tough and hard nosed
3- Williams- ASU- Good Athlete
4- Sanders- UNI- May not have great stats or be physically imposing but he wins ballgames and has an unbelievable record (15-2, and one loss was Iowa)
5- Martin- FU- Saw the field at Florida and his team is still playing
6-Santos- UNH- I question his heart and arm strength, tough to tell in a weak league

There is my :twocents:

PapaBear
December 5th, 2005, 05:34 PM
4- Sanders- UNI- May not have great stats or be physically imposing but he wins ballgames and has an unbelievable record (15-2, and one loss was Iowa)
5- Martin- FU- Saw the field at Florida and his team is still playing
6-Santos- UNH- I question his heart and arm strength, tough to tell in a weak league

There is my :twocents:

Your opinion is overpriced.

Look. I'm an A10 guy through and through. I watched your game against UNH. You played great. I do not agree with folks who say UNH dominated the game but lost. UNI definitely earned that victory with hard-nosed, mistake-free football. They took it to UNH.

But Sanders isn't in Santos' league as a talent. "Wins ballgames." What does Santos do?

And the "weak league" comment was ignorant. Just ignorant.

bcrawf
December 5th, 2005, 06:33 PM
How many teams does that league have playing this weekend????

Umass74
December 5th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Did anyone else notice watching on Saturday, that Santos is not to fond of getting hit. The first 4th down they went for he scrambled, saw Heideman and Koebcke and hit the deck as fast as he possibly could. That happened the entire game. The first down was not as important as not getting hit, not much of a leader.

Yup, UNI wins on a field goal, therefore Sanders gotta be the better QB

Santos: 27-42 358 yrds passing, 21-102 yards rushing (5.0 yrds/carry)

Sanders 15-21 185 yds passing, rushed 7 times for five yards :rolleyes:

JohnStOnge
December 5th, 2005, 07:12 PM
GEEZE. Like most the the times, the stats never tell the whole story. Most of the UNI fans on this board watched both games at the dome and on tv. You were not there so all you can evaluate is the stats. I watched Erik Meyer stand in his own endzone on 3rd and 28 and throw a perfect pass with 2 UNI guys right in his face. I watched him use ALL of his weapons on almost every play to gain a lot of yards against our defense. I also watched him use his legs to make things happen.

EWU's offensive line was no where near the ability of UNH's, but Meyer still made a lot more plays for that team. Like I said before, if Meyer has a stronger team around him, they would win the national championship this year.

Dude, I've seen Meyers play on TV. I've seen Santos on TV. I've seen Nealy on TV. I've seen Williams of App State on TV. Meyer is #4 among those in terms of being a dangerous offensive player.

You talk about Meyer's legs. Are you seriously going to say Meyer is as dangerous with his legs as Nealy and Williams are? Seriously now.

I gotta tell you something too. The UNI and Georgia Southern pass defenses were comparable this year. UNI has a slight edge in pass efficiency defense as the Panthers are 6th while Georgia Southern is 8th. Georgia Southern has the edge in total pass defense as the Eagles are 74th and the Panthers are 109th.

There is no way...none...that Nealy didn't out perform Meyer in the first round. He pretty much beat Georgia Southern single handedly. Georgia Southern controlled both lines of scrimmage. They consistenly had a good pass rush. They just couldn't get their hands on him.

To say Nealy is not at Meyer's level based on the first round performances of each player is ridiculous.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that Meyer is more consistent from game to game. If Nealy's missing open receivers like he did against Cal Poly the Panthers are going to be in good shape. But if your team runs into Nealy when he's in the zone like he was against Georgia Southern or Texas A&M, you're going to wish it was playing against Meyer.

Chi Panther
December 5th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Yup, UNI wins on a field goal, therefore Sanders gotta be the better QB

Santos: 27-42 358 yrds passing, 21-102 yards rushing (5.0 yrds/carry)

Sanders 15-21 185 yds passing, rushed 7 times for five yards :rolleyes:

Sanders doesn't have the arm strength of the guys talked about on here...but he has the intangibles....

Also, UNI didn't have to pass like UNH to stay in this game.....Lets do some simple arithmetic and double Sanders attempts...... :bow:

IF that doesn't help....go look at his efficiency rating.....

bcrawf
December 5th, 2005, 08:00 PM
You EAST COAST HACKS are all right Santos is the perfect combination of Joe Montana, John Elway, Johnny Unitas, Sid Luckman, and Payton Manning. He should go pro now and the Texans would be idiots not to take him number one overall. Actually every team in the NFL will attempt to make a trade to get Ricky Santos, because he is the best quarterback in the history of the game of football. Who wants Payton Manning or Carson Palmer when Ricky Santos is available? Guys that hate to stand in and take a hit do great in the NFL just ask Ryan Leaf and Akili Smith. Oh Wait a Minute... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Granite
December 5th, 2005, 08:09 PM

Meyer stood in and took shots in the first round and came back and got better as the game went on.

I see Santos as the 5th or 6th best quarterback in the nation.
Wow. You saw Santos play 1 game, yet you are willing to ignore 36 touchdowns through the air and 8 touchdowns on the ground, a 70.8% completion percentage, a 171.77 passing efficiency rating, and a 10-1 regular season record as a Sophomore? I've seen almost every game Santos has played in his career, and to say that he is afraid to take a hit is just absurd. Anyone that watches him carry the ball knows he isn't afraid to get hit - he gets punished just about every game he plays. Santos was UNH's second leading rusher this year, and made UNH fans cringe every time he got crushed trying to get an additional 1 or 2 yards. If anything, Ricky can be knocked for trying to do too much. And how can you question his heart after watching 1 game - a game that, if not for a couple of plays, could just have easily gone the other way?

Look, if you want to make an argument for Meyer, fine, I'll listen and I might even be inclined to agree with you. But to sit here and run down Santos after seeing him play 1 game makes you appear no better than the UNH fans that you guys have been complaining so much about.

Granite
December 5th, 2005, 08:12 PM
You EAST COAST HACKS are all right Santos is the perfect combination of Joe Montana, John Elway, Johnny Unitas, Sid Luckman, and Payton Manning. He should go pro now and the Texans would be idiots not to take him number one overall. Actually every team in the NFL will attempt to make a trade to get Ricky Santos, because he is the best quarterback in the history of the game of football. Who wants Payton Manning or Carson Palmer when Ricky Santos is available? Guys that hate to stand in and take a hit do great in the NFL just ask Ryan Leaf and Akili Smith. Oh Wait a Minute... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Classy post. :rolleyes:

bcrawf
December 5th, 2005, 08:31 PM
There is nothing wrong with being the 5th best quarterback in the country. I can not believe the attacks that come for sharing a personal opinion and I apologize for the sarcastic post earlier, but please have an open mind and realize that stats are not everything. Being a great quarterback has as much to do with the unmeasurables as it does with completion percentage and touchdowns. UNH had a season to be proud of, but got beat by a better team on their homefield on Saturday in a game that proves just how great I-AA football is.

I may be biased to this side of the country, but I do not think that you see the same level of competition week in and week out in the A10 that you see in the Gateway, Big Sky, Southland, and SoCon.

Again, I apologize for the sarcasm, but please realize that the football on this side of the Appalachains is every bit as good as it is on your side, if not better. I would love to see Santos and Sanders hook up again in a big game and we have two years for that to happen and I hope it does, maybe next time you guys can come out here and experience the uniqueness that is football in the UNI-Dome!! :(

Mountain Panther
December 5th, 2005, 08:46 PM
I may be biased to this side of the country, but I do not think that you see the same level of competition week in and week out in the A10 that you see in the Gateway, Big Sky, Southland, and SoCon.

Well....the A-10 did win the NC the last two years. I'm just reponding before the Chicken duo (Mr. & Man) have a chance to post.

Chi Panther
December 5th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Well....the A-10 did win the NC the last two years. I'm just reponding before the Chicken duo (Mr. & Man) have a chance to post.

Chicken duo (Mr. & Man).....that sounds funny.....but u're right....those dudes know their stuff and are quick to respond..... :bow:

skinny_uncle
December 5th, 2005, 08:58 PM
UNI has beaten Payton nominee QBs the last three games in a row (Sambursky, Meyer, and Santos). That in itself is quite an accomplishment.

PantherMan
December 5th, 2005, 10:08 PM
UNI has beaten Payton nominee QBs the last three games in a row (Sambursky, Meyer, and Santos). That in itself is quite an accomplishment.

Going for #4 in a few days! And if we can pull it out, I believe that the championship would be another one! Now that would be a streak! :hurray: :hurray:

D1B
December 6th, 2005, 06:21 AM

I wondered about this when y'all first put that post up about how great the two QBs played and listed the stats. Meyers' stats were solid but not outstanding. I just don't get this thing about you guys thinking that's the best QB you've seen this year. His numbers against your team certainly don't support that assessment.

Cuz you only look at stats, and that limits you.