PDA

View Full Version : #6 UNI at #5 Texas State

crunifan
December 4th, 2005, 09:15 PM
We can use this thread to talk about the game that will be played this Friday.

Let's keep this thread nice, too. On PantherNaiton you Texas State fans have been amazing, so here is to a good game and some friendly competition!

JSU Fan
December 4th, 2005, 09:31 PM
UNI 37, Tx State 28.

Out.

Bobcat94
December 4th, 2005, 10:05 PM
At least some type of Cat will win......

Should be a great game!

siugrad99
December 5th, 2005, 07:55 AM
Hope to see UNI in the championship, if we can't beat them we have to root for them :) It is going to be an awesome year for UNI Athletics with their BBall team as solid as it is also. Best of luck to the Panthers.

Brent
December 5th, 2005, 11:19 AM
UNI will bring a quality team with good overall speed and talent into San Marcos. The win over UNH has to be a big boost that these guys can win anywhere and in any weather condition. UNI comes to play against a (11-2) Bobcat team thats (9-0) at home this season. The Bobcats have a great defense lead by big DT's All - Mr Everything, Fred Evans (6-5 310) and Travis Upshaw (6-1 338), good core of LB's in Jeremy Castillo and David Simmons and a solid secondary.

The keys for either team winning the game is can UNI stop Bobcat QB, Barrick Nealy?? Who will turn the ball over the least?? Will UNI adjust if the Bobcats D gets to David Horne??

It should be just another outstanding game in front of another sellout crowd.

This will be a fun one to watch, good luck to both teams. :beerchug:

Go Bobcats!!! http://www.bobcatfans.com/forums/images/smiles/signs.gif

eagle1
December 5th, 2005, 11:22 AM
UNI 21
Texas St 17

This is not going to be a high scoring game becasue both defense are pretty solid. I pulling for UNI to win the whole damn thing. Go Eagles!!!

Brent
December 5th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Tx State - 31

UNI - 17

Freightliner
December 5th, 2005, 12:53 PM
anybody have statistical analysis of these two teams?

Bronco
December 5th, 2005, 01:16 PM
At least some type of Cat will win......

Should be a great game!

Yes these are the good Bobcats of 1-AA.

The game is on Friday? ESPN 2? what time?

I looked in the paper and it says a Sat playoff game on ESPN 2
I was hoping to see both games.

PantherMan
December 5th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Yes these are the good Bobcats of 1-AA.

The game is on Friday? ESPN 2? what time?

I looked in the paper and it says a Sat playoff game on ESPN 2
I was hoping to see both games.

The game is on ESPN2 on Friday, 7 PM CST I believe.

Brent
December 5th, 2005, 02:34 PM
ESPN2 at 7pm CST

penguinonastick
December 5th, 2005, 03:46 PM
UNI - Go Gateway 27
TXST - 21

skinny_uncle
December 5th, 2005, 08:55 PM
UNI 45 TX St 42 on another fourth quarter field goal (of course).
:eek:

PantherRob82
December 6th, 2005, 12:01 PM
should be a great game. no predictions from me. I obviously think UNI can win it. Only time I saw Tx St was last week and I didn't really feel too threatened. Great QB though.

Cap'n Cat
December 6th, 2005, 12:10 PM
should be a great game. no predictions from me. I obviously think UNI can win it. Only time I saw Tx St was last week and I didn't really feel too threatened. Great QB though.

Rob, Rob, Rob, Rob, Rob.......

:nonono2:

Cap'n Cat may be down there and looks forward to mixin' it up with the Bobcat faithful at the tailgaters.

No prediction from Cap'n Cat. This game will be one for the books!

:hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped:

Bobcat94
December 6th, 2005, 12:57 PM

Cap'n Cat may be down there and looks forward to mixin' it up with the Bobcat faithful at the tailgaters.

Agreed, This game will be one to watch. Set up the DVR and the Tivo. It sounds like a lot of UNI faithful will be down. We need a bigger place for this one. People will be turned away.......

Poly Pigskin
December 6th, 2005, 04:30 PM
After watching Texas St. steamroll our defense between the 20s last week, I gotta say the Bobcats are going to take this one. I'm sure their coaching staff is telling them they are lucky to escape last week with a relatively poor performance, and I expect them to play more like they did against GSU. UNI's upset was impressive, but I think they will need to play a better game to pull off another upset.

TSU - 30
UNI - 21

Oh, and go bobcats!

Brent
December 6th, 2005, 04:34 PM
After watching Texas St. steamroll our defense between the 20s last week, I gotta say the Bobcats are going to take this one. I'm sure their coaching staff is telling them they are lucky to escape last week with a relatively poor performance, and I expect them to play more like they did against GSU. UNI's upset was impressive, but I think they will need to play a better game to pull off another upset.

TSU - 30
UNI - 21

Oh, and go bobcats!

Love from the Poly fans....I like it!!

Go Bobcats!!

PantherRob82
December 6th, 2005, 04:51 PM

Let me rephrase. After playing YSU, WKU, SIU, EWU, and UNH I feel good about our chances on Friday. Is that better?

Cap'n Cat
December 6th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Let me rephrase. After playing YSU, WKU, SIU, EWU, and UNH I feel good about our chances on Friday. Is that better?

You mean to tell me that beating the #11, 6, 4, 15 and #1 teams is somehow impressive?

OK, I'll give you that.

:bow:

JTCowboy
December 6th, 2005, 05:40 PM
Got to pull for the Southland rep. Great job so far Tx state. :bow: I will be jealous and happy too if ya win it all. :smiley_wi

TX State 19
UNI 17

JohnStOnge
December 6th, 2005, 05:53 PM
I think it's a tossup. By that I don't mean I know it'll be a close game. I mean I don't have a strong feeling about who's going to win.

I do think how Nealy plays is going to be a big factor. From what I can tell UNI's quarterback is consistent from game to game and can be relied upon to put up a solid performance. Nealy's not like that. When he played poorly Nicholls State beat the Bobcats and Sam Houston State took them into overtime. When he played well he made Texas A&M's athletes on defense look like high school kids and beat Georgia Southern almost single handedly (at least in my opinion).

Luckily for Texas State, when he didn't play as well the next week, the Bobcats were able to run the football and play defense.

I do think all available indications are that Texas State is better on defense than UNI is. But UNI was able to move the ball well against Iowa. Watching on TV I thought the Panthers were very impressive in doing so. Thought their offense acquitted itself very well.

We'll see.

JohnStOnge
December 6th, 2005, 06:02 PM
Got to pull for the Southland rep. Great job so far Tx state. :bow: I will be jealous and happy too if ya win it all. :smiley_wi

TX State 19
UNI 17

Why is it that I wouldn't mind them winning a national title when McNeese hasn't but it'd KILL me if Northwestern State did it?

JohnStOnge
December 6th, 2005, 06:04 PM

Capn, you are not allowed to go to San Marcos. It is way too much of a party area and the women look way too good. It would be like throwing gasoline on a fire. Under no circumstances are you authorized to enter that area!

newsbreaker
December 6th, 2005, 06:15 PM
You mean to tell me that beating the #11, 6, 4, 15 and #1 teams is somehow impressive?

OK, I'll give you that.

:bow:

You know, I've seen every one of em, either in person or on TV, and I still can't quite grasp the run that cats have been on the past six weeks or so.

FANTASTIC game this week, a great one to have on a national stage for everyone to see. I feel about this one just like I did before the UNH and EWU games...that statistically UNI is infererior, but there is some serious mojo working for the Panthers right now, so even though I have no idea how they'll do it, UNI gets a win I think.

Cap'n Cat
December 6th, 2005, 06:33 PM
You know, I've seen every one of em, either in person or on TV, and I still can't quite grasp the run that cats have been on the past six weeks or so.

FANTASTIC game this week, a great one to have on a national stage for everyone to see. I feel about this one just like I did before the UNH and EWU games...that statistically UNI is infererior, but there is some serious mojo working for the Panthers right now, so even though I have no idea how they'll do it, UNI gets a win I think.

Statistics are for geeks. Wins are superior.

:cool:

JohnStOnge
December 6th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Statistics are for geeks. Wins are superior.

:cool:

Statistics are part of trying to get an idea of who's going to win. They do correlate too. If you''ve got one team that's in the top 10 in both total offense and total defense in among scholarship I-AAs playing another that's in the bottom 10 in both, the one in the top 10 in both is probably going to win. Overwhelmingly so.

But football is unpredictable. There's no perfect technique. The best you can do overall over a large number of games is going to be somewhere in the 70 percents. And when the teams are reasonably evenly matched it's even less so.

The thing about football playoffs is you only get one shot. A few years ago the LA Lakers were much better than the team they played but they lost the first game of the NBA championship series. They then won four in a row to win the series 4 to 1. If that had been football the best team wouldn't have been celebrating the championship because that first game would've been the only one.

Cap'n Cat
December 6th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Statistics are part of trying to get an idea of who's going to win. They do correlate too. If you''ve got one team that's in the top 10 in both total offense and total defense in among scholarship I-AAs playing another that's in the bottom 10 in both, the one in the top 10 in both is probably going to win. Overwhelmingly so.

But football is unpredictable. There's no perfect technique. The best you can do overall over a large number of games is going to be somewhere in the 70 percents. And when the teams are reasonably evenly matched it's even less so.

The thing about football playoffs is you only get one shot. A few years ago the LA Lakers were much better than the team they played but they lost the first game of the NBA championship series. They then won four in a row to win the series 4 to 1. If that had been football the best team wouldn't have been celebrating the championship because that first game would've been the only one.

Cap'n Cat's entire point highlighted above. If we were going by statisitics, John, and using your reasoning, UNI should have lost five out of their last six games.

Word.

:rolleyes:

Statistics are for geeks.......especially in the playoffs.

JohnStOnge
December 6th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Cap'n Cat's entire point highlighted above. If we were going by statisitics, John, and using your reasoning, UNI should have lost five out of their last six games.

Word.

:rolleyes:

Statistics are for geeks.......especially in the playoffs.

I don't know if that's true...I can't get back to what some of the models had to say for each of those. Obviously it's true that all that matters is who actually wins. But a lot of the fun of football is trying to anticipate who's going to and using statistics helps you do better at that.

I've said it before and I'll mention it again...in I-A football where they have lines you've got people considering all sorts of stuff. They're thinking about who's hurt, what the weather's like, who had an emotional distress..EVERYTHING. But statistical models do just about as well in general as people doing all that stuff do when it comes to percentage of times being correct about who's going to win as well as when it comes to point spreads.

Someday people are going to have to start giving the guys who do those statistical models some credit. To date most people who make fun of them have no clue as to how well they do as compared to other efforts to predict what's going to happen.

JohnStOnge
December 6th, 2005, 07:27 PM
By the way...by the statistics this one is virtually a toss up. Slight edge to Texas State but not much.

Cap'n Cat
December 6th, 2005, 07:33 PM
I don't know if that's true...I can't get back to what some of the models had to say for each of those. Obviously it's true that all that matters is who actually wins. But a lot of the fun of football is trying to anticipate who's going to and using statistics helps you do better at that.

I've said it before and I'll mention it again...in I-A football where they have lines you've got people considering all sorts of stuff. They're thinking about who's hurt, what the weather's like, who had an emotional distress..EVERYTHING. But statistical models do just about as well in general as people doing all that stuff do when it comes to percentage of times being correct about who's going to win as well as when it comes to point spreads.

Someday people are going to have to start giving the guys who do those statistical models some credit. To date most people who make fun of them have no clue as to how well they do as compared to other efforts to predict what's going to happen.

Well, dumb Liberal Arts guy Cap'n Cat deals in statistics every day and can see the point you're trying to make. However, it comes down to decisions made by humans that provide results.

Again, pointing at statistics, UNI loses five out of their last six games. One thing about statistics we often ignore: margin of error.

:eyebrow:

bobcattbone1204
December 6th, 2005, 08:41 PM
Can't wait for you to get down here Capn' you will love the good ladies and food we have here in San Marcos!

PantherRob82
December 7th, 2005, 01:48 PM
My stats say that stats don't mean anything to us purple panthers.

Tanner Varner :asswhip: Nealy

How bout those stats? Go panthers!

ButlerGSU
December 7th, 2005, 03:11 PM
I didn't read this whole thread so it may have already been said but I believe the winner of this game will be the National Champion. I know I will be watching on Friday, I'll see the winner in Nooga on the 16th.

JohnStOnge
December 7th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Well, dumb Liberal Arts guy Cap'n Cat deals in statistics every day and can see the point you're trying to make. However, it comes down to decisions made by humans that provide results.

Again, pointing at statistics, UNI loses five out of their last six games. One thing about statistics we often ignore: margin of error.

:eyebrow:

I don't ignore margin of error at all! That's how I estimate the probabilities I post (like putting UNI's chance of winning at 40 percent).

And I'm not sure UNI would've been picked by Sagarin's system to lose five of it's last six games. Unfortunately, I haven't found a way on Sagarin's site to check on that.

Grizo406
December 7th, 2005, 05:52 PM
I think the winner of this game will be our next National Champions, IMO.

Texas State is a very tough, well coached football team, and has a classy fan base, but I'm picking the Panthers in a fairly close, hard fought football game because I like 'em, and we need to give the Cap'n something to help him get his post count to 10,000.

If this don't do it, nothing will.

igo4uni
December 7th, 2005, 09:53 PM
we need to give the Cap'n something to help him get his post count to 10,000.

If this don't do it, nothing will.

A win will help the good Cap'n, but I've got a feeling that he gets to 10,000 posts no matter what! :) :) :) :) :)

D1B
December 7th, 2005, 10:08 PM

I will offer RT airfare, lodging, and an opportunity to look at my wife for 2 minutes to anyone willing to come to Madison and read this ****** boring ass post to me. I fall asleep everytime I read StWronge's posts. No offense. :boring: xcoffeex xidiotx :o

igo4uni
December 7th, 2005, 10:12 PM
and an opportunity to look at my wife for 2 minutes

I only need about 30 seconds! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Grizo406
December 7th, 2005, 10:17 PM
A win will help the good Cap'n, but I've got a feeling that he gets to 10,000 posts no matter what! :) :) :) :) :)

I think you're absolutely right.

I'm struggling to get to 1200, and wonder what that glorious feeling will be like?!!? Then it's on to 1500, and the sky's the limit after that!

igo4uni
December 7th, 2005, 10:21 PM
I think you're absolutely right.

I'm struggling to get to 1200, and wonder what that glorious feeling will be like?!!? Then it's on to 1500, and the sky's the limit after that!

Just keep pluggin' away, you'll get there soon enough. :hurray: :hurray: