PDA

View Full Version : Northeastern to get New/Old Stadium?

Husky Alum
June 28th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I've known about this proposal for a while, and kept it under wraps.

I don't think it's a good solution, but anything is better than Parsons.

Delaware fans will be all for the move as they can't find a way to win at Parsons.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2009/06/28/menino_envisions_nonprofit_aid_for_school_sports/

In addition, [Boston Mayor Tom] Menino said he has been working for several months on a plan for Northeastern University to make multimillion-dollar improvements to White Stadium in Franklin Park, the city’s premier high school sports venue, and also have Northeastern’s football team play its home games there. The city has already built six artificial turf fields for Boston high schools, with two more on the drawing board, first for Dorchester High School, then West Roxbury.

So we go from one high school field to another. :)

Here's a picture of White Stadium, aerial, if you play around with the picture at the bottom, it's in the upper right. It seats about 10K, ain't nowhere near NU's campus, and isn't in what we'd call a "real nice" neighborhood.

http://www.emeraldnecklace.org/parks/franklin-park/

Here's what some members of the community around Franklin Park think of the neighborhood around White Stadium.

http://ksgaccman.harvard.edu/hotc/DisplayPlace.asp?id=11505

So, NU could have its hoops and hockey team play in a building constructed in 1912, and its football team play in a renovated WPA project.

Back to the Future - Huskies Style.

slostang
June 28th, 2009, 09:34 PM
White Stadium kind of reminds me of Old Dominion's stadium.

Husky Alum
June 28th, 2009, 10:22 PM
It's not as big or as nice as Foreman. From afar, I can see the similarities.

Tribe4SF
June 29th, 2009, 04:26 AM
Say it ain't so!xbawlingx

4th and What?
June 29th, 2009, 05:03 AM
So this might be the last year to get to see a game at Parsons? Maybe that'll help with ticket sales? xwhistlex

Tribe4SF
June 29th, 2009, 05:35 AM
"-- The bodies of dead animals that have ostensibly been sacrificed in the woods in the Steading area have been found periodically by residents and police."

Time for a nickname change!

The Northeastern Wiccans!

Husky Alum
June 29th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Given Northeastern's experience with renovation projects, I think it would be safe to call our teams "The White Elephants" or the "Red Tape"/

I posted the link more for shyts and giggles.

Personally, I'm against the project. Franklin Park is probably farther from NU's campus than Parsons, and while optically it would be an improvement, I don't see a ton of parking, it's not the safest area in the city, the neighbors likely won't be as belligerent to the 20 NU football fans that tailgate before games, but it doesn't make sense.

I'm not a fan of NU - which is undergoing budget problems of its own, and whose two key sports - hockey and hoops - have assistant coaches salaries and benefits packages that fall behind median in the CAA and HEA, effectively giving the City of Boston a handout.

Now, I'm sure, Boston politics being what it is, we're doing this in order to get the Mayor and City Council to approve our Master Plan (which is due in a year or so). I'm pretty sure that Master Plan will include NU building classrooms, research centers and dorms we really need - and those things are going to be built on land in Lower Roxbury. In order to appease the neighbors of LoRo (who for the uninitiated are primarily lower income minorities), Mumbles Menino will probably tell them "NU redid White Stadium for the youth of the city" - and I've also heard that NU will renovate Carter Playground for the local schools to use/practice on (Carter is wedged in between a bunch of buildings NU owns, and is about a football field and a half long by a the width of 2 1/2 football fields). There's also talk that NU would put a bubble on Carter for NU and city use in the winter.

It's the cost of "doing business" in this fine city.

bostonspider
June 29th, 2009, 08:42 AM
http://ksgaccman.harvard.edu/hotc/images/cache/100-0058_IMG.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_kcFgp2t4WPo/SNbfCJRs9gI/AAAAAAAAAAw/72rwv1cp3Os/s320/DSC01800.JPG

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCC&cp=r1jft6927t3q&style=o&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&scene=3143554&encType=1

Husky Alum
June 29th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Nice pics, haven't seen those before - where did you find them?

The facility is currently (to be honest) a dump. We'd need to renovate the whole thing, put in field turf, etc.

bostonspider
June 29th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Found them by using Bing and searching for "White Stadium MA"

Ivytalk
June 29th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Moving NU's games to a stadium in an economically depressed area might motivate those Harvard do-gooders to schedule NU again!:p

Just so long as the games were played at Harvard Stadium!xeekx

Husky Alum
June 29th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Moving NU's games to a stadium in an economically depressed area might motivate those Harvard do-gooders to schedule NU again!:p

Just so long as the games were played at Harvard Stadium!xeekx

Don't laugh.

I said to someone at NU today...

"If this White Stadium thing happens, and we do it right, I don't care what we have to do, but we should call Harvard and tell them 'we'll play you in Cambridge from now until Yale changes its colors to Crimson and White if you play our White Stadium opener against us'"

We all know NU is doing this to curry favor with the politicos in Government Center. I think it would be a great statement for Harvard and NU to play the first game there.

Alternatively, UMass or Holy Cross wouldn't be a bad idea.

We could have "Bullet Proof Vest" night at White Stadium.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
June 29th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Looks like fairly long walks from the Stony Brook or Green Street stations off the Orange Line. Not sure I'd do either walk by myself and forgetaboutit for a night game!! xeekx xeekx xeekx Is there going to be any other option? There doesn't appear to be much parking or are they going to park cars on the grass in the park?

Of course the old Orange Line would have been closer as would have a rail based "Silver Lie". xrolleyesx More on Boston mass transit in another paragraph. ;)

Parking is difficult around Parsons, but at least it's a safe area. And it is an easy walk from the Longwood stop of the Green Line's Riverside Branch ("D"). And a reasonable walk to retail areas in Brookline Village (Green Line - D) and up on Beacon Street (Green Line - C).

NU should pressure Mumbles to champion an extension of the Green Line E Branch (stops at NU on Huntington Ave.) from Heath through Jamaica Plain with a terminus between White Stadium and the Franklin Park Zoo. Or go just a tad further to link up with a rapid transit Readville Line. Oh, heck with it, go for the whole enchilada, the Inner Loop. xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

GannonFan
June 29th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Delaware fans will be all for the move as they can't find a way to win at Parsons.

Aren't we like 4-3 at Parson's historically? Granted, it's not our 24-6 or something like that domination over UMass, but it's still a winning record. xreadx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
June 29th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Don't laugh.

I said to someone at NU today...

"If this White Stadium thing happens, and we do it right, I don't care what we have to do, but we should call Harvard and tell them 'we'll play you in Cambridge from now until Yale changes its colors to Crimson and White if you play our White Stadium opener against us'"

We all know NU is doing this to curry favor with the politicos in Government Center. I think it would be a great statement for Harvard and NU to play the first game there.

Alternatively, UMass or Holy Cross wouldn't be a bad idea.

Oh man, I'll have to be there to see all those "old purple sweaters" come to White Stadium. xeekx xlolx xlolx The CAA teams will have to come to where ever NU plays, but you'll have to do some negotiating to get the Cross there. You'll have to fool them into thinking they're going to the Heights!! ;) :D

Bullet Proof Vest Night sounds about right! That option out in Somerville isn't sounding so bad right now especially if the Green Line extension is completed. xwhistlex xpeacex

DFW HOYA
June 29th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Nickerson Field is still available...

DFW HOYA
June 29th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Nickerson Field is still available...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/be/BUNickersonFldStands.jpg/300px-BUNickersonFldStands.jpg

bostonspider
June 29th, 2009, 11:55 AM
One more shot of White Stadium.

http://cache.boston.com/news/galleries/magazine/2004/1017/02.jpg

There is bus service to the area from the T stations at least...

NU Hound29
June 29th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Aren't we like 4-3 at Parson's historically? Granted, it's not our 24-6 or something like that domination over UMass, but it's still a winning record. xreadx

You are 4-3 at Parsons but have not on their since 1999.....

Husky Alum
June 29th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Oh man, I'll have to be there to see all those "old purple sweaters" come to White Stadium. xeekx xlolx xlolx The CAA teams will have to come to where ever NU plays, but you'll have to do some negotiating to get the Cross there. You'll have to fool them into thinking they're going to the Heights!! ;) :D

Bullet Proof Vest Night sounds about right! That option out in Somerville isn't sounding so bad right now especially if the Green Line extension is completed. xwhistlex xpeacex

The Caped Crusaders are coming to Pretty Parsons this year. Not sure how we pulled that one off but the OPS's will be thumbing their noses down at us all game.

GeeWiz
June 29th, 2009, 12:37 PM
I'm actually in support of the White Stadium project.

I know there are some issues, but I think it't better than Parsons.

Let's see hoe NU handles all of this.

Ivytalk
June 29th, 2009, 01:35 PM

ROFLMAO!! Reppies!xlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaox

dgreco
June 29th, 2009, 01:59 PM
http://www.reedconstructiondata.com/projects/1000414442/

Wildcat80
June 29th, 2009, 02:19 PM
PPLLEEAASSEE...just do it right. Lighting, parking, safety, day games......if you do we will come back.

StonewallSpider
June 29th, 2009, 03:31 PM
I played in white stadium in high school. It wasn't in great shape then, and I doubt it's much better now.
If they get the money to fix it up it would be a great situation for the City of Boston and Northeastern. It could also be a good recruiting tool for the school.

Jackman
June 29th, 2009, 04:02 PM
The linked survey indicates that "turf issues" prevent local youths from using that park. Please, please let someone at Northeastern offer to address the "turf issues" by installing a new playing surface.

GeeWiz
June 29th, 2009, 04:13 PM
The linked survey indicates that "turf issues" prevent local youths from using that park. Please, please let someone at Northeastern offer to address the "turf issues" by installing a new playing surface.

The "turf" issues are supposedly local gangs that are giving kids a hard time in Franklin Park.

If NU decides to play at White Stadium they will put down new field turf.

bkrownd
June 29th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Real men throw down on any old patch of open grass...anywhere, anytime. The more mud and blood, the better.

Husky Alum
June 29th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Real men throw down on any old patch of open grass...anywhere, anytime. The more mud and blood, the better.

That's the problem, bloods, crips, and other assorted gangs claim White Stadium as their "home field". We'd have to convince them to cede control to NU. :)

This is a disaster waiting to happen, a huge waste of money and a PR nightmare if it's not done properly.

Any time you deal with the politicos in Boston on a construction project, it's likely not to get done properly.

Witness our $15 billion tunnel that has "issues". (We thank you for your tax dollars).

paward
June 29th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Bringing in a good program may eliminate some of those bad elements you mentioned. Provided improvements are made. Security and fan support will be key to making the facility work for NU. I am one of those that visited Parsons and felt it gets a bad rap. I enjoyed my last visit there.

Old Cage
June 29th, 2009, 06:38 PM
I'm sorry, but the last several threads here that have dealt with change in CAA football have each increased my hope that UMass is - sooner rather than later - part of a new league.

I say again: Argh!!

I do like the "bullet proof vest night" idea, though.

Go...gate
June 29th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Upgrades in an old inner-city HS ballpark are a great idea, but perception is often the problem. It was attempted at historic Schools Stadium in Newark, NJ with limited success. Many coaches outside the city will not take their teams there because parents and administrators fear violence, etc., even though that is not the case the vast majority of the time.

Husky Alum
June 30th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Upgrades in an old inner-city HS ballpark are a great idea, but perception is often the problem. It was attempted at historic Schools Stadium in Newark, NJ with limited success. Many coaches outside the city will not take their teams there because parents and administrators fear violence, etc., even though that is not the case the vast majority of the time.

Ding Ding Ding. We have a winner.

White Stadium could be the safest oasis in a quagmire of urban blight (and Franklin Park isn't urban blight by any stretch of the imagination), and the people we'd want to come to the games (families, young alumni, students) are going to shy away because of the perception of White Stadium being in an "unsafe" or "not so nice" part of town.

The Franklin Park Zoo is in the same complex as White Stadium. I've lived in Boston 17 of the last 21 years, and I have two little kids - we've NEVER been to the FPZ.

Why?

According to Mrs. Husky Alum (who is also an NU grad, was born and raised here), "it's not in the greatest of areas, and you probably don't want to get lost out there".

I challenge anyone who lives in Boston to query NU's potential target market for football and ask them what their thoughts on White Stadium are.

Cobblestone
June 30th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Parking is difficult around Parsons, but at least it's a safe area. And it is an easy walk from the Longwood stop of the Green Line's Riverside Branch ("D"). And a reasonable walk to retail areas in Brookline Village (Green Line - D) and up on Beacon Street (Green Line - C).

That's the way I go and on a fall day it's a very nice walk. Although last season it was COLD. I personally like going to games at Parsons. It provides a nice little college football atmoshpere. If nothing else the place is unique.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 30th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Nothing, and I mean nothing, could rival the on-campus location of LaSalle's stadium. Penn's Franklin field is in a bad area as is Columbia's, but at least they have nice stadiums. Parking for LaSalle was about a block away from a part of town I didn't want to be after dark.

Dane96
June 30th, 2009, 09:26 AM
That's the problem, bloods, crips, and other assorted gangs claim White Stadium as their "home field". We'd have to convince them to cede control to NU. :)

This is a disaster waiting to happen, a huge waste of money and a PR nightmare if it's not done properly.

Any time you deal with the politicos in Boston on a construction project, it's likely not to get done properly.

Witness our $15 billion tunnel that has "issues". (We thank you for your tax dollars).

I take offense to this!

It is 17 billion...not 15....Grrr........;)xsmiley_wixxnodxxwhistlex

And anyone who wants to know the "real issues" with our tunnel, well dont ask. You wont want to drive through it after.

GeeWiz
June 30th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Penn's Franklin field is in a bad area as is Columbia's, but at least they have nice stadiums. Parking for LaSalle was about a block away from a part of town I didn't want to be after dark.

Exactly!

Columbia's Wein Stadium and Franklin Field aren't in the best of neighborhoods (although I'd debate the the area around Wein Stadium as unsafe) and they draw fans and alumni to games.

I've NEVER heard of an incident at or around Wein Stadium.

If NU does it right, and Lord knows I have my doubts, I say let's move to White Stadium.

BTW, the Bronx Zoo isn't in the greatest area of the Bronx either, especially by subway, yet, it's still one of the best attended and most popular zoo's in the world.

Husky Alum
June 30th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Exactly!

Columbia's Wein Stadium and Franklin Field aren't in the best of neighborhoods (although I'd debate the the area around Wein Stadium as unsafe) and they draw fans and alumni to games.

I've NEVER heard of an incident at or around Wein Satdium.

If NU does it right, and Lord knows I have my doubts, I say let's move to White Stadium.

BTW, the Bronx Zoo isn't in the greatest area of the Bronx either, especially by subway, yet, it's still one of the best attended and most popular zoo's in the world.

I'd debate whether the area around Franklin Field is unsafe either.

You've never heard of an incident around Wein because no one goes to Columbia's games. xrolleyesx

You and I both know we won't do it right.

Even if NU had 100% say in the matter we won't do it right. When you combine the perception issues, the fact that we have to deal with the politicians (and the neighbors), and the location from campus, it's got problems written all over it.

Don't even compare the Franklin Park Zoo to the Bronx Zoo. That's like comparing Parsons Field with Wash-Griz. :D

UNH_Alum_In_CT
June 30th, 2009, 01:18 PM
My nephew went to Drexel for a year and from my visits I don't think Franklin Field is in an unsafe area. It's surrounded by the UPenn campus on three sides then in the rear by the railroad tracks, then the Schuykill Expressway and the Schuykill River. You just need to keep the normal urban awareness in that area. I never felt in danger in that area either walking or riding my bike.

Now a block or two from where his Drexel dorm was located (Race Street IIRC) is a whole different story. One of the worst 'hoods in the US surrounding the Drexel "campus" on two sides. (To this day I refuse to call the collection of buildings called Drexel a campus.) I remember driving out of there and onto Lancaster Avenue heading West and then calling him and telling him that I don't care that you're 6'3", 200+ lbs, stay the hell out of that neighborhood.

I don't know the neighborhoods of Boston well enough to know how dangerous the area around White Stadium is. But I know it's not the Back Bay, Beacon Hill, the North End, the South End, West Roxbury, etc. so I'm doing more research before I venture into that neck of the woods on foot by myself. I know enough to know that it is close to the worst sections of Boston.

Why doesn't NU just buy a block of Brookline next to Parsons? xrolleyesx xrolleyesx ;) :D That way you wouldn't even have to deal with Mumbles!! Well, at least until you want to build something on land you currently own near Columbus Ave. :D

NU Hound29
June 30th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Good luck letting Brookline build us anything...that's a non-starter!

UNH_Alum_In_CT
June 30th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Good luck letting Brookline build us anything...that's a non-starter!

I forgot to put one of those roll eyes smilies after that comment! ;)