PDA

View Full Version : Game of the week

HiHiYikas
December 4th, 2005, 04:48 PM
i-aa.org's "The Playoffs" as game of the week only goes so far. Apologies to UNI and Texas State, but it just doesn't get any bigger than Furman-Appalachian at this stage.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=984&stc=1

blackfordpu
December 4th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Both games are equal this week. The teams that win play in Chatty.

HiHiYikas
December 4th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Both games are equal this week. The teams that win play in Chatty.

Technically true. Just like a Yankees-Red Sox ALCS would be equal to a Atlanta-Arizona NLCS.

ASU Kep
December 4th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Technically true. Just like a Yankees-Red Sox ALCS would be equal to a Atlanta-Arizona NLCS.

Couldn't have said it any better. This one is HUGE.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 4th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Couldn't have said it any better. This one is HUGE.

I'm so glad that this game is going to be on Saturday so that I can watch it. This game is going to be huge.

blackfordpu
December 4th, 2005, 08:34 PM
I'm so glad that this game is going to be on Saturday so that I can watch it. This game is going to be huge.

Is it an ESPN 2 game?

AppGuy04
December 4th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Is it an ESPN 2 game?

yes, noon Saturday

TXST_CAT
December 4th, 2005, 10:39 PM

Sorry but you're not the Yanks and their not the SOX. This one is mearly a matter of opinion.

PantherMan
December 4th, 2005, 11:41 PM
Sorry but you're not the Yanks and their not the SOX. This one is mearly a matter of opinion.

I have a feeling that a Texas State vs. Northern Iowa game on a Friday night will be more viewer friendly than a Furman vs. ASU game Saturday afternoon. Taking nothing away from Furman or ASU, that will be a great game I'm sure, but it's not as big nationally as the UNI-TXSU game IMHO...

AppIAA
December 4th, 2005, 11:54 PM
I have a feeling that a Texas State vs. Northern Iowa game on a Friday night will be more viewer friendly than a Furman vs. ASU game Saturday afternoon. Taking nothing away from Furman or ASU, that will be a great game I'm sure, but it's not as big nationally as the UNI-TXSU game IMHO...

Even though ASU vs. Furman is one of the biggest rivalries in I-AA? IMO at least..

PantherMan
December 4th, 2005, 11:58 PM
Even though ASU vs. Furman is one of the biggest rivalries in I-AA? IMO at least..

Big rivalry, yes. But to the rest of the country, this is just another game between 2 good IAA football programs. The same is true about the UNI-TXSU game, the difference is that we play in different conferences against different teams and we're from different parts of the country. I wouldn't venture to call the UNI game "the Game of the Week", but I don't think that the other game is any more important in the big scope of things. In all honesty, I'd wager that UNI might be the only school of the 4 that many of the viewers on ESPN2 have ever heard of. And that isn't because of football.

AppIAA
December 5th, 2005, 12:02 AM
I see what you're saying.. i guess it makes sense.. haha .... all I know is ASU is going to have to play they're best game of the season to beat Furman and advance to the NC.. IMO, the winner of the ASU Furman game is going to win it all..

TXST_CAT
December 5th, 2005, 12:17 AM
Big rivalry, yes. But to the rest of the country, this is just another game between 2 good IAA football programs. The same is true about the UNI-TXSU game, the difference is that we play in different conferences against different teams and we're from different parts of the country. I wouldn't venture to call the UNI game "the Game of the Week", but I don't think that the other game is any more important in the big scope of things. In all honesty, I'd wager that UNI might be the only school of the 4 that many of the viewers on ESPN2 have ever heard of. And that isn't because of football.

Although new to the playoffs TXST is making quite a name for itself nationaly. Not to say were are known as a power house but we have been recieving lots of love from the press including ESPN(around the horn). Nealy has been predicted to be the 5th QB in the draft and Bailiff's name is being thrown around as a candidate for several DI-A HC possitions. Make no mistake there will be lots of eyes glued to the TXST vs. UNI game.
:beerchug: xprost2x :beerchug: xprost2x :beerchug: xprost2x :beerchug: xprost2x :beerchug: xprost2x

TxState_GO_CATS!
December 5th, 2005, 12:47 AM
In all honesty, I'd wager that UNI might be the only school of the 4 that many of the viewers on ESPN2 have ever heard of. And that isn't because of football.

if they've watched ESPN2 the last two weeks, i'm sure they may have heard of texas state too. has any team ever been on espn2 for three consecutive weeks (div I-A or I-AA)? just curious...

but, to be on topic, i believe each game has it's interesting points (and damn good players) and that each game is of equal importance. Being the newcomers here, we TxSt. folks are just blissfully enjoyin the ride, as each game becomes "the biggest in our program's history"...

PantherMan
December 5th, 2005, 01:04 AM
if they've watched ESPN2 the last two weeks, i'm sure they may have heard of texas state too. has any team ever been on espn2 for three consecutive weeks (div I-A or I-AA)? just curious...

but, to be on topic, i believe each game has it's interesting points (and damn good players) and that each game is of equal importance. Being the newcomers here, we TxSt. folks are just blissfully enjoyin the ride, as each game becomes "the biggest in our program's history"...

Some probably. Friday night PRIMETIME will by far be the best of the 3 gametimes though! A lot of guys around the country looking for a football fix this weekend will be tuning in! I can't wait!!

newsbreaker
December 5th, 2005, 08:17 AM
One other thing to add, while 3 of the teams have pretty good names historically for 1aa football on a national level, and the 4th (Texas State) is quickly building a reputation, the biggest 'name' school at this moment left in the field is probably UNI, thanks mostly to the fact that it's also becoming a fairly well-known basketball school at the D1 level nationally as well.

HiHiYikas
December 5th, 2005, 09:33 AM

Of course it's merely a matter of opinion. Please note that I am not comparing football teams to baseball teams (in that scheme, 1988 Champs Furman would be more like the Yankees, btw) as much as I am comparing an old rivalry that has grown especially bitter these past few years to one that is pretty much undeveloped.

Texas State and Northern Iowa split a home-and-home series in 1993/1994 (TSU 13 @ NIU 34, 9/25/93 - NIU 19 @ TSU 20, 9/8/94).

On the other hand, Furman and ASU are inner-conference rivals who have faced each other 35 years in a row. Furman has the upper hand in the series (ASU 11 Wins, Furman 21 Wins, 3 Ties). 20 of the games have been decided by less than 1 touchdown. In the past 6 games, the average victory margin is only 2.5 points.

3 Furman/ASU games - a 1991 triple-overtime win for the Apps, the 2002 "Miracle on the Mountain," and Richie Williams' record-breaking performance in 2004 - have made ASU's "Most Memorable Games" list.

AppGuy04
December 5th, 2005, 09:36 AM
If your team is still in, it will always be the biggest game

OL FU
December 5th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Starting with Round One two weeks ago, every game is the game of the week.

HiHiYikas
[QUOTE=PantherMan]Big rivalry, yes. But to the rest of the country. . .QUOTE]

It is my contention that as long as the media and other coaches refer to us as Division II, and as long as folks on ESPN continue congratulating NORTHERN ILLINOIS for knocking off New Hampshire, there will be no such thing as a I-AA rivalry that is big all over the country.

I-AA.org has picked a game of the week every week this season, and not one of them qualifies as "big all over the country." That includes week 6, when the last meeting between ASU and Furman was the game of the week.

hapapp
Folks, no one playing in the semis has any real national image. Despite the fact that UNI has had some success in basketball really doesn't translate into a national reputation. This is 1-AA football, most of the rest of the country doesn't really care. That doesn't detract, however, from the interest and the frenzy that it generates among the four schools involved. But, lets not assume that the rest of the country is really that interested in what happens this weekend.

dbackjon
December 5th, 2005, 10:12 AM
i-aa.org's "The Playoffs" as game of the week only goes so far. Apologies to UNI and Texas State, but it just doesn't get any bigger than Furman-Appalachian at this stage.

Pretty arrogant statements in this thread - Both games are equally as important.

HiHiYikas
December 5th, 2005, 10:16 AM
http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=70555

A whole season's worth of i-aa.org's Game of the Week polling. Furman was voted into 2 top games (vs. ASU [week 6] and GASO [week 10]). NIU came awfully close a few times (vs, WKU, So Ill and W Ill)

Texas State never came very close to the top of the GOTW polls; The McNeese State and Sam Houston State games barely cracked the top 10.

HiHiYikas
December 5th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Both games are equally as important.

Actually, the NCAA has decided to go ahead and award the Championship trophy at Kidd-Brewer Stadium to the winner of the App-Furman game. Plus, No matter who wins the UNI/TX State game, both teams will be relegated to D-III following Friday night's game. Check the NCAA website for championship ticket refunds.

OF COURSE both games are equally important. And, lest anyone else post this argument again. . .

If Importance had anything to do with naming a game of the week, week TWO's matchup between Eastern Kentucky and Western Kentucky wouldn't have been i-aa.org's Game of the Year.

FU5454
December 5th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Of course it's merely a matter of opinion. On the other hand, Furman and ASU are inner-conference rivals who have faced each other 35 years in a row. Furman has the upper hand in the series (ASU 11 Wins, Furman 21 Wins, 3 Ties). However, neither team has managed to beat the other more than 3 times in a row.

Don't know about the other stats you quote, but FU has managed to beat ASU a few more than 3 times in a row. '77-'83 = 7 times (actually tied in '76 and FU won in '75....so ASU did not beat FU for 9 straight years)...

(BTW - I know all of this is as meaningful as cave drawings, but you were quoting the history, so I thought someone might care. It sure won't matter on Saturday.)

See below, FU's scores are shown first.

10/22/77 vs. Appalachian State 28-20 (My recruiting visit to FU. Had to go with the winners!)

9/30/78 @ Appalachian State 52-34 (Track Meet, FU on the ground and ASU in the air, if I recall - Redshirting, so don't remember much.)

10/20/79 vs. Appalachian State 31-17 (down year for 'Dins, don't remember this one too much. Probably surprised we won.)

10/25/80 @ Appalachian State 21-20 (SNOW! very exciting game broadcast on ABC, but the picture was hard to see....LOTS OF SNOW!!!)

10/10/81 vs. Appalachian State 22-18 (largest crowd ever in Paladin Stadium, cold dreary Boone-like day in G'Ville...too many FG's)

9/18/82 @ Appalachian State 27-21 (spotted ASU 2 TD's before FR Bobby Lamb came in @ QB and led FU to a 2nd half come-from-behind win.)

10/22/83 vs. Appalachian State 49-0 (Grad Asst'ing - Mac Brown and staff showing precursors of their usual preparation vs. Oklahoma :smiley_wi )

These happen to be the games that I was personally involved with, so one
can imagine how :shakingma I get when FU loses to ASU. Combine that with being from Raleigh and having a lot of friends that went there makes it more of a personal rivalry.

This Saturday is a BIG game for both sides and I expect those uninitiated people who are fortunate enough to tune it in on TV will be in for a treat.

HiHiYikas
December 5th, 2005, 10:46 AM
FU5454 is right. . .as usual, I got a couple of facts wrong. I misread the 1980 entry in the ASU media guide. . .had that chalked up as a 21-20 ASU victory.

I was 2 back then, couldn't count that high. I will edit my earlier post right away.

TypicalTribe
December 5th, 2005, 11:53 AM
I've got to agree that the ASU/Furman game is a lot more appealing. The added dimension of having conference foes facing each other for the right to play in the NC game just takes things up a notch. I'm looking forward to the TSU/UNI matchup as well, but it doesn't have the depth of the SoCon battle.