PDA

View Full Version : This years Granite Bowl to be last one for a while...

UNHWILDCATS05
June 25th, 2009, 12:49 PM
It seems that UNH and Dartmouth will postpone future Granite Bowl games...

Interesting to see that a potential replacement for UNH may be Columbia.

Manchester Union Leader (http://blogs.unionleader.com/tracking-the-wildcats/?p=328)

NHwildEcat
June 25th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Well, there goes a guaranteed win...

UNHWildCats
June 25th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I'd rather they just alternated new teams to come to UNH every other year and then in the years they were going to have gone to Dartmouth just schedule a road game against some top schools.

It would be nice to play teams from the SoCon, MVC in the regular season

UNHWildCats
June 25th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Well, there goes a guaranteed win...
they can easily find another guaranteed win.. I rather face some good competition

NHwildEcat
June 25th, 2009, 01:24 PM
they can easily find another guaranteed win.. I rather face some good competition

True. It would be nice to see some different teams coming into Durham...any ideas on opponents besides Columbia?

Cobblestone
June 25th, 2009, 01:26 PM
This certainly sucks. This rivalry is similiar to what we have vs. Brown. In fact I can recall a time when YC teams almost all had Ivy rivals. UCONN vs. Yale and UMASS vs. Harvard were the others.

Jackman
June 25th, 2009, 01:54 PM
UMass and Harvard were never real rivals. We played off-and-on in the 70s and 80s, but always at their stadium. In 21 games Harvard has only come to Amherst once, in 1955. Naturally we completely blew that game, by far UMass's worst defeat in the series, but that wasn't enough to convince Harvard to come back. Neither side ever managed to dominate the series as has happened between UNH and Dartmouth, the UMass-Harvard winner alternated pretty much every game until the final match in 1988. Not sure whether Harvard just put their noses in the air and refused to play after that, or if UMass got fed up with always having to play at Harvard.

Wildcat80
June 25th, 2009, 02:56 PM
If we stay with an Ivy team I'd bet there are a number of interesting matches. HYP--would be the most exciting & Penn. Patriot teams would be good too--esp. Fordham with schollies--also Holy Cross or Lafayette. I'd stay away from long bus rides though. Personally I'm totally in favor of FBS teams even if a big underdog. The budget needs a payday and nothing would be more exciting than a BIG game. UConn, Rutgers, Syracuse....UNC, Duke, Wake.....San Diego State, Colorado State, Boise...etc. GO CATS!!

Model Citizen
June 25th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Whom is Dartmouth considering to fill this gap in future schedules? Notice I'm not asking who you'd LIKE to see. Any solid info?

WrenFGun
June 25th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Not that the CAA doesn't ensure for a pretty difficult schedule as is, but I have to imagine UNH's chances in the playoffs would be greatly improved by playing virtually ANY team from another power conference. We haven't played anyone from the SoCon in what, 6 years? That's an entirely different style of football there, and it would be wise to be equipped to understand how those teams play.

UNHWILDCATS05
June 25th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Whom is Dartmouth considering to fill this gap in future schedules? Notice I'm not asking who you'd LIKE to see. Any solid info?

There was talk on the Big Green Dartmouth blog that Sacred Heart was an option...

Model Citizen
June 25th, 2009, 04:04 PM
SH was mentioned as a replacement for Colgate.

aceinthehole
June 25th, 2009, 06:51 PM
This could open games for the NEC, so that's always good news to me.

Is Dartmouth willing to do a home/home with Sacred Heart, or would they buy a home game or two?

Also, I'd like to see CCSU get on the Wildcats schedule in some manner.