PDA

View Full Version : Div I Title Game Bid Process to Begin Soon

TexasTerror
June 23rd, 2009, 11:23 AM
Which cities will emerge to contend with Chattanooga for the right to host the NCAA Division I Football Championship Game...?

Eckstein said the NCAA will send out bids to host future Football Championship Subdivision title games after this year's contest, which will be held Dec. 18. The NCAA opened up bids before, with Chattanooga retaining the game over bids from San Antonio and Cedar Falls, Iowa.

http://timesfreepress.com/news/2009/jun/23/stadium-budget-approved/

Bill Hanson
June 23rd, 2009, 11:44 AM
Chattanooga seems to be the place for it. It will never go West, if anything it will move East or South.

NHwildEcat
June 23rd, 2009, 11:54 AM
Bring it to the northeast...CAA is the top league, might as well as have a site that is within reach for a number of fan bases.

introvertedGSUfan
June 23rd, 2009, 11:57 AM
Bring it to the northeast...CAA is the top league, might as well as have a site that is within reach for a number of fan bases.

xlolx

DFW HOYA
June 23rd, 2009, 11:59 AM
Princeton Stadium.

http://football.ballparks.com/NCAA/Ivy/Princeton/newinterior.jpg

DLS
June 23rd, 2009, 12:00 PM

i like that theory, let's just take that one step further and go ahead and make it boone, nc. im only saying, might as well save the fanbase any trouble.

OhioHen
June 23rd, 2009, 12:08 PM
i like that theory, let's just take that one step further and go ahead and make it boone, nc. im only saying, might as well save the fanbase any trouble.

There is a precedent -- they used to hold the "Marshall Invitational" where the Herd had all home games throughout the playoffs regardless of their ranking going in.

grizband
June 23rd, 2009, 12:11 PM
I doubt it will ever be moved North, considering any possible inclement weather in December/January. Chattanooga seems to be an advantageous place for the game - I would love to see it moved West (Vegas baby!), but doubt this will ever happen.

TexasTerror
June 23rd, 2009, 12:20 PM

Wasn't CAA ranked eighth in attendance last year? Sure, it may be within reach of several fan bases - but top to the bottom, the league does not draw.

Syntax Error
June 23rd, 2009, 12:49 PM
Chattanooga seems to be the place for it. It will never go West, if anything it will move East or South.It has already been far West, many times. xrulesx

biggie
June 23rd, 2009, 12:51 PM
Wonder if Charlotte has ever thought about it? Guess BoA stadium would be too busy with bowl stuff though.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 23rd, 2009, 12:58 PM
Princeton Stadium.

I second that emotion. I'd go to the championship game every year if that were the case! Party at my house! :p xthumbsupx

Of course, it would be something if an Ivy League school decides to host the championship game when their league prohibits participation... xlolx

danefan
June 23rd, 2009, 01:15 PM
Any FCS team that sells out season tickets before even stepping foot on the field is an area that loves football.

Hampton Roads.......

http://media.hamptonroads.com/cache/files/images/309061000.jpg

NHwildEcat
June 23rd, 2009, 01:26 PM
Wasn't CAA ranked eighth in attendance last year? Sure, it may be within reach of several fan bases - but top to the bottom, the league does not draw.

You make a valid point that I had not really thought of...I was basing my theory on competitiveness. It is sad to see half empty stadiums...

lionsrking2
June 23rd, 2009, 01:29 PM
The game shouldn't be played anywhere north of Chattanooga unless it's indoors. Jackson, MS or Mobile, AL would be options worth exploring IMO.

NHwildEcat
June 23rd, 2009, 01:30 PM
I still think it would be nice to have the game played in the natural elements...nothing like watching football in the snow! Sure isn't ideal for a championship game...oh well!

TexasTerror
June 23rd, 2009, 01:36 PM
The game shouldn't be played anywhere north of Chattanooga unless it's indoors. Jackson, MS or Mobile, AL would be options worth exploring IMO.

Who is the host in either of those venues? It seems that most Div I title games sans the years in Wichita Falls, Texas - were in the same city or stadium as a current FCS member.

It needs to be a playoff-eligible school, something JSU is not. And of course, they are short-staffed in being able to handle such a championship game from an administrative standpoint. Mobile - South Alabama is going FBS.

LUHawker
June 23rd, 2009, 01:38 PM
Franklin Field (Home of Penn) and Princeton are nice choices. I think Charleston, SC would be a good location too. What about some place in or around Baltimore (and no I don't mean Towson). Good city, easily accessible by car, plane and train and lots of other attractions for a weekend, as well as being in the relative middle of several conferences (CAA, SoCon, PL, MEAC)

NHwildEcat
June 23rd, 2009, 01:41 PM
Franklin Field (Home of Penn) and Princeton are nice choices. I think Charleston, SC would be a good location too. What about some place in or around Baltimore (and no I don't mean Towson). Good city, easily accessible by car, plane and train and lots of other attractions for a weekend, as well as being in the relative middle of several conferences (CAA, SoCon, PL, MEAC)

Baltimore would be a good option. But, I am sure they would pass for a warmer climate.

Syntax Error
June 23rd, 2009, 01:42 PM
... a playoff-eligible school, something JSU is not...Careful, Jackson State is playoff eligible under the right circumstances. xnodx

GaSouthern
June 23rd, 2009, 02:01 PM
Dare I say the Georgia Dome?

Go...gate
June 23rd, 2009, 02:05 PM
Princeton Stadium.

Amen, though I'm a bit biased.

Go...gate
June 23rd, 2009, 02:06 PM
I still think it would be nice to have the game played in the natural elements...nothing like watching football in the snow! Sure isn't ideal for a championship game...oh well!

Then we need to hold it at Andy Kerr Stadium!! :D

Appinator
June 23rd, 2009, 02:16 PM
In a perfect world, I would prefer it to be much closer to a city with a major airport. Atlanta, New Orleans, or Vegas makes much more sense than Cedar Rapids or Chattanooga (no offence to both cities) . If we are looking for the most fans to attend, we need to have it in a more accessible city. I can't imagine how expensive it was to find flights from Montana or UNI to Chattanooga, especially with only one weeks notice. If we are to keep the current format, it is only fair to all fans to put it in a location that best serves everyone, not one conference or area....

Tealblood
June 23rd, 2009, 02:44 PM
I would not be surprised to see Myrtle Beach make a bid

we have a ton of hotel rooms that time of year

FargoBison
June 23rd, 2009, 02:45 PM
Somewhere in the south. Cedar Falls in January doesn't sound appealing at all.

WVAPPmountaineer
June 23rd, 2009, 02:46 PM
I do think Charleston, SC would be ideal - it is a destination city with so much to do and see - GREAT restaurants and the Citadel has really upgraded their facility ----

gophoenix
June 23rd, 2009, 02:46 PM
In a perfect world, I would prefer it to be much closer to a city with a major airport. Atlanta, New Orleans, or Vegas makes much more sense than Cedar Rapids or Chattanooga (no offence to both cities) . If we are looking for the most fans to attend, we need to have it in a more accessible city. I can't imagine how expensive it was to find flights from Montana or UNI to Chattanooga, especially with only one weeks notice. If we are to keep the current format, it is only fair to all fans to put it in a location that best serves everyone, not one conference or area....

A major airport nearby isn't going to affect ticket prices. Nearly every hub city has more expensive prices than other cities that connect through them. Plus, one weeks notice, no matter what destination or origin, is going to be astronomically expensive.

Princeton Stadium.

Why on Earth would you hold the title game in a stadium of a school who themselves won't participate with those of us that try to play in that game?

I do think Charleston, SC would be ideal - it is a destination city with so much to do and see - GREAT restaurants and the Citadel has really upgraded their facility ----

The problem in Charleston is parking and the side behind the visitor bench is not exactly great.

FargoBison
June 23rd, 2009, 02:49 PM
Isn't the title game being moved back so there will be more than a week's notice, another thing to remember is that the game is going to be played in what late December or January as well.

CollegeSportsInfo
June 23rd, 2009, 02:56 PM
I doubt it will ever be moved North, considering any possible inclement weather in December/January. Chattanooga seems to be an advantageous place for the game - I would love to see it moved West (Vegas baby!), but doubt this will ever happen.

For A neutral site game, this makes sense. It's a nice idea for people traveling someplace for a game, via flight, to go to a positive destination for the game...Chattanooga doesn't fit that category. San Diego, Las Vegas certainly do. And there are plenty of smaller markets that do as well...where it's easy to fly into and a more enjoyable trip than to Chattanooga.

jstate83
June 23rd, 2009, 03:00 PM

Great place to have it and the city would roll out the red carpet for a week to have this game.

But the NCAA will not allow a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME to be held in this state because of this:
xrulesx
http://www.theodora.com/flags/state_flags/mississippi_state_flag.gif

jstate83
June 23rd, 2009, 03:06 PM
Who is the host in either of those venues? It seems that most Div I title games sans the years in Wichita Falls, Texas - were in the same city or stadium as a current FCS member.

It needs to be a playoff-eligible school, something JSU is not. And of course, they are short-staffed in being able to handle such a championship game from an administrative standpoint. Mobile - South Alabama is going FBS.

MAN PLEASE......................xlolx
You have never even set foot in Memorial or Jackson for a game so how can you even think you know what you talking about.
DFA/Memorial Stadium and Jackson can handle a crowd of 25 to 30 thousand people with ease. xrolleyesx
We do it every year with Homecomming and the Capitol City Classic which get's double the attendance of Chatty.
The N.O. Saint's have played here 2 times but I guess hosting the NFL is not as big. xlolx

TexasTerror
June 23rd, 2009, 03:16 PM
MAN PLEASE......................xlolx
You have never even set foot in Memorial or Jackson for a game so how can you even think you know what you talking about.
DFA/Memorial Stadium and Jackson can handle a crowd of 25 to 30 thousand people with ease. xrolleyesx

Was not talking about that...I was referencing other critical aspects to running the championship game that I (and numerous others) can attest to, that perhaps the fans of JSU are relatively blind to. xwhistlex

jstate83
June 23rd, 2009, 03:23 PM
Was not talking about that...I was referencing other critical aspects to running the championship game that I (and numerous others) can attest to, that perhaps the fans of JSU are relatively blind to. xwhistlex

Dude.

This is just more of the same negative shat you alway post when someone bring's up anything to do with "us".

Do you honestly think that the NCAA blindly hands over the reign's to local leadership when hosting any kind of Championships.
I'm sure they will bring in their people, their specs and work out everything with the local leadership

The only person that's blind here is you and your thirst to be the one and only grand pooh-ba of FCS sport's knowledge.
I have never seen a person that is not on the inside of anything, that has all the inside answer's to everything, everywhere like you.
It's amazing that you are not the FCS point man to the NCAA. xlolx

WestCoastAggie
June 23rd, 2009, 03:27 PM
Birmingham, AL
Charlotte, NC
Columbia, SC
Tampa, FL
Orlando, FL
Dallas, TX
Indy, IN

Those could be great FCS Champ cities!

Appinator
June 23rd, 2009, 03:27 PM
A major airport nearby isn't going to affect ticket prices. Nearly every hub city has more expensive prices than other cities that connect through them. Plus, one weeks notice, no matter what destination or origin, is going to be astronomically expensive.

I didn't mean game ticket prices, I was just referring to airfare.

Just doing a quick search, it's almost $1100 for a flight from Missoula to Chattanooga and "only" 930 to Atlanta. The difference almost makes up half of your lodging expenses for a weekend. Having a major airport would be a big cost saver for everyone, and make it easier for actual students to go too.

Yes it is going to be expensive anywhere you go on a weeks notice, but at least its a little better in major cities....

lionsrking2
June 23rd, 2009, 03:28 PM

Personally, I don't think you need to have a playoff eligible FCS program in order to bid for the championship game. For me, the primary issues should be weather, venue, hotel/motel accomodations and access. I threw out Jackson and Mobile as possibilities because they're good bets to have decent weather, have venues that can accomodate 40-50 thousand fans, have adequate hotel space and are relatively easy to get to. I could have listed a number of other places for similar reasons. I have no problem with Chattanooga hosting...but I think anything north of there, you run the risk of having a miserable experience for fans unless the game is indoors. Just my opinion.

lionsrking2
June 23rd, 2009, 03:38 PM
Birmingham, AL
Charlotte, NC
Columbia, SC
Tampa, FL
Orlando, FL
Dallas, TX
Indy, IN

I would add New Orleans, Atlanta and Jacksonville, FL to that mix...Montgomery, AL could handle it as well.

jstate83
June 23rd, 2009, 03:41 PM
Would ya'll believe that Mr. Mod22 sent me a bogus warning infraction for simply stating a point on this.

Sorry that I can't post on this subject anymore cause it was real interesting.

I'll let ya'll have it.
Guess this will be deleted also.xsmhx
In fact, let me do Mod22 a favor and delete all my post on this thread.

jmu_duke07
June 23rd, 2009, 03:46 PM
Quite honestly, Charleston would be the most ideal place... Hagood is a great facility and the city could more than accommodate since tourist season would be well over.

jmu_duke07
June 23rd, 2009, 03:49 PM
Birmingham, AL
Charlotte, NC
Columbia, SC
Tampa, FL
Orlando, FL
Dallas, TX
Indy, IN

Have you ever played the game "what shouldn't belong?" Columbia is a disgusting city IMO, and William Bryce stadium would be way to big.

Appinator
June 23rd, 2009, 03:53 PM
http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/smu/graphics/auto/FacilityShot_FordStadium.jpg

This is perfect. Play in Dallas, at SMU.

Great city, perfect size venue (35K), airport hub, lots of hotels and it's a football town.

SideLine Shooter
June 23rd, 2009, 03:57 PM

MB just does not have a decent stadium.

WestCoastAggie
June 23rd, 2009, 04:05 PM
Have you ever played the game "what shouldn't belong?" Columbia is a disgusting city IMO, and William Bryce stadium would be way to big.
Ok, take out Columbia and add Charleston, SC to that list. xcoolx

bostonspider
June 23rd, 2009, 04:05 PM
Probably too large and too far away, but Aloha Stadium would be awesome. By early January, all the bowls will be over, and the stadium will be empty..

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/ff/Aloha_Stadium.jpg/1000px-Aloha_Stadium.jpg

Tod
June 23rd, 2009, 06:03 PM
For A neutral site game, this makes sense. It's a nice idea for people traveling someplace for a game, via flight, to go to a positive destination for the game...Chattanooga doesn't fit that category. San Diego, Las Vegas certainly do. And there are plenty of smaller markets that do as well...where it's easy to fly into and a more enjoyable trip than to Chattanooga.

Let me see if I got this straight. Montana is beginning the process of trying to keep playoff games because of our gambling laws, but the NCAA would allow the NC game to be in Las Vegas?

xlolxxlolxxlolx

They probably would! :D

Libertine
June 23rd, 2009, 07:08 PM
Charleston, Columbia or anywhere else in South Carolina won't happen until the state and the NCAA resolve the whole Confederate flag issue.

SCPALADIN
June 23rd, 2009, 07:33 PM
Charleston, Columbia or anywhere else in South Carolina won't happen until the state and the NCAA resolve the whole Confederate flag issue.

You beat me to it...there will be no National Championship game in SC until this stupid situation gets settled.
That is why my vote goes to Charlotte. Get UNC Charlotte (49ers) onboard with a team and all would be good. Charlotte is a perfect location with two major interstates crossing through, a major international airport and great weather.xthumbsupx

CrazyCat
June 23rd, 2009, 07:50 PM
ACC ignores NCAA Confederate flag ban

By Paul Strelow
The (Columbia) State

Posted: Sunday, May. 17, 2009

CLEMSON - Calling the policy “unfair” to South Carolina, the Atlantic Coast Conference decided this year it no longer would mimic the NCAA's ban on predetermined championship events being held in the state, a league official said Thursday.

On Wednesday, the ACC announced Myrtle Beach had been awarded the conference's baseball tournament for three years, beginning in 2011. The league also considered a bid from Greenville among the five finalists.

The NCAA's ban is in place as long as the Confederate flag continues to fly on the grounds of the state Capitol. It began in 2001.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/244/story/728586.html?storylink=omni_popular (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/244/story/728586.html?storylink=omni_popular)

Touchdown Yosef
June 23rd, 2009, 08:05 PM
How bout Nashville at Vandy's stadium

I like Charleston by far and away the best. I would go to the game every year in Charleston regardless of who was playing.

kdinva
June 23rd, 2009, 08:05 PM
Yeah, Rhode Island's facililty, or Parsons Field (N'eastern) pristine places for a college championship game.

msusig
June 23rd, 2009, 09:15 PM
The NCAA should stay out of political issues and stick to football rules. It's a shame the NCAA is trying to be more than what it is, a entity that governs sports. They shouldn't be allowed to stop a state from having sporting events because they don't like gambling or they believe a state flag is racist.

msusig
June 23rd, 2009, 09:21 PM
My vote would be having the championship in New Orleans, Miami, Las Vegas, or Denver. That way you could make a vacation out of it and visit the LV strip, Bourbon Street, the beaches, or go skiing. All have the major airports that would make it easier to travel to. I never understood why they have it in Chattanooga.

gophoenix
June 23rd, 2009, 09:57 PM
I didn't mean game ticket prices, I was just referring to airfare.

Just doing a quick search, it's almost $1100 for a flight from Missoula to Chattanooga and "only" 930 to Atlanta. The difference almost makes up half of your lodging expenses for a weekend. Having a major airport would be a big cost saver for everyone, and make it easier for actual students to go too.

Yes it is going to be expensive anywhere you go on a weeks notice, but at least its a little better in major cities....

I know, I was talking airfare too. Look at prices into Charlotte or Charleston on the major airlines. Unless Southwest serves the city, flights on Jetblue or Airtrain are limited into those cities and would be full instantly. Then you'd get the hub city's airline as the primary mode. Typically O&D to/from a hub city is more expensive than a spoke city. Somewhere like Atlanta is better because of the sheer number of Airtran flights.

Was thinking then, maybe somewhere like Tampa or Orlando would be better seeing that Allegiant flied from many of the FCS school areas to those cities and they have really cheap flights. That is, if that is what you're looking for is airfare being a prime factor.

Chattnooga is a nice city, but just a pain to drive to from anywhere on the east coast save Alabama, Georgia because the mountains limit the roads available to get you there.

I'm not sure where the game should be, but there are way more schools in the midwest and east, so it makes sense to keep the game centrally located in those areas than moving to the center of the country like in Texas or New Orleans.

SCPALADIN
June 23rd, 2009, 10:02 PM
The NCAA should stay out of political issues and stick to football rules. It's a shame the NCAA is trying to be more than what it is, a entity that governs sports. They shouldn't be allowed to stop a state from having sporting events because they don't like gambling or they believe a state flag is racist.

It's not the state flag...that's part of the issue.

apaladin
June 23rd, 2009, 11:00 PM

But no adequate stadium and MB is cold in the winter with the wind chill factor.

Libertine
June 23rd, 2009, 11:43 PM
It's not the state flag...that's part of the issue.

This time you beat me to it.

The South Carolina state flag consists of a palmetto tree and a crescent moon. I doubt that anyone would consider that racist. The other flag flying at the Capitol however...

gophoenix
June 24th, 2009, 06:30 AM
This time you beat me to it.

The South Carolina state flag consists of a palmetto tree and a crescent moon. I doubt that anyone would consider that racist. The other flag flying at the Capitol however...

It is ridiculous that people have problems with anything like that at all anyway.

bluehenbillk
June 24th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Birmingham, AL??? Are you people serious?

Let me guess, Legion Field?? Can you say dump? Can you say in a crappy part of town? Thanks, but no thanks.

Monarch Nation
June 24th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Any FCS team that sells out season tickets before even stepping foot on the field is an area that loves football.

Hampton Roads.......

http://media.hamptonroads.com/cache/files/images/309061000.jpg

Appreciate the thought, but I don't know if people there would go to a game that doesn't have ODU in it, and I somehow doubt that we'll see the Championship game for a looooong time.

AshevilleApp2
June 24th, 2009, 07:17 AM
I like Chattanooga.

BDKJMU
June 24th, 2009, 08:39 AM

The CAA was 8th out of 15 conferences in attendance. Saying the CAA doesn't draw is saying the bottom 8 conferences don't draw. And since the CAA was less than 100 in avg per game attendance behind the Ivy, a little over 200 behind the Southland, and less than 500 behind the MEAC, saying the CAA doesn't draw is like saying the bottom 11 conferences don't draw, and only the top 4 do. Course, looking at the attendance figures, I don't know if I'd necessarily disagree with that statement

The problem with the CAA is the absolute piddling attendance figures from the CAA North. Here's how the North teams' avg attendance stacked up out of 118 teams listed:
UMass: 12,383: 18th
UNH: 8,000: 50th
URI: 4,853: 84th
Maine: 4,693 86th (unbelieveable for a playoff team that also hosted the #1)
Hofstra: 3,604: 98th
Northeastern: 2,937: 105th

If you took the CAA's South attendance figures (mainly due to UD and JMU) they would be 3rd. (I totaled the season attendance for the 6 CAA South teams/divided by the 39 games and it came out to 11,266) behind only the SWAC and Southern

2008 NCAA DIVISION I FCS FOOTBALL CONFERENCE ATTENDANCE
Total 2008 Change
Rank Division I FCS Teams Games Attendance Average In Avg.
1. Southwestern 10 54 777,971 14,407 -1,207
2. Southern # 9 56 673,280 12,023 -1,051
3. Missouri Valley Football # 9 55 *602,513 10,955 -769
4. Big Sky 9 52 546,868 10,517 565
5. Mid-Eastern 9 50 472,614 9,452 -1,968
6. Southland 7 39 357,899 9,177 223
7. Ivy 8 40 361,130 9,028 -879
8. Colonial 12 72 *644,670 8,954 -191
9. Great West 3 18 145,540 8,086 436
10. Ohio Valley # 9 50 366,163 7,323 -86
11. Big South # 6 35 *231,140 6,604 -884
12. Patriot 7 37 205,708 5,560 -139
13. Pioneer # 9 51 174,967 3,431 -188
14. Independents # 3 16 42,309 2,644 -1,512
15. Northeast # 8 42 96,841 2,306 42
*Conference record. # Different alignment in 2008 than in prior year.

http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/stats/football_records/Attendance/2008.pdf

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 24th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Keep the game in the southeast. Griz fans have showed they travel very well to Chatty and most of the time there is a southeastern (or at least an east coast team) in the NC.

BDKJMU
June 24th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Personally, I don't think you need to have a playoff eligible FCS program in order to bid for the championship game. For me, the primary issues should be weather, venue, hotel/motel accomodations and access. I threw out Jackson and Mobile as possibilities because they're good bets to have decent weather, have venues that can accomodate 40-50 thousand fans, have adequate hotel space and are relatively easy to get to. I could have listed a number of other places for similar reasons. I have no problem with Chattanooga hosting...but I think anything north of there, you run the risk of having a miserable experience for fans unless the game is indoors. Just my opinion.

Go look at the NC attendance history. Any stadium that seats more than 30-35 k id going to be too big. About 25k would be ideal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I-AA_national_football_championship

BDKJMU
June 24th, 2009, 09:39 AM
How bout Nashville at Vandy's stadium

I like Charleston by far and away the best. I would go to the game every year in Charleston regardless of who was playing.

Too big.

BDKJMU
June 24th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Its either going to stay in Chatty or move to a warmer weather locale. Many of these stadiums have already been mentioned. This topic was discussed this past January and this is basically a copy and paste of a poste I made back then with a few changes.

If it moves to a warmer weather locale lets assume that will be the South, with a minimum stadium size of 20k, with 35k being the biggest. Here are the possibilities outisde of Chatty (not necessarily in any particular order):

1. FAU's brand new stadium due to open for the 2010 season, 30k cpacity, in beautiful, sunny (and wealthy) Boca Raton, Fla.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAU_Football_Stadium
Fort Lauderdale Int, less than 30 miles, and Miami Int, American hub, less than 50 miles.

2. FAMU's Bragg Memorial in Tallahassee. 25.5k listed capacity, which would be about the perfect size.
http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/florida/tallahassee_bragg.shtml
Tallahassee has a medium sized airport, but is about 2.5 hrs from the nearest major airport in Jacksonville.

3. JSU expanding to 24k for 2010, which would be about perfect size.
http://www.jsugamecocksports.com/sports/2009/1/14/FB_0114091949.aspx?path=football
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Snow_Stadium
According to mapquest they're about 1.25 hrs east of Birmingham, about 1.75 hrs west of Atlanta, & about 2 hrs south of Chatty. Not near/by the mtns of N GA like Chatty is, so would be a little warmer than Chatty, and are closer to Atlanta, the busiest airport in the world & Delta's main hub. Would there be enough hotel availability?

4. Southern's Mumford in Baton Rouge since they're getting a 16.5 million facelift and with expansion will according to the article bring them to 29k capacity.
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2008/01/06/southern_s_mumford_statium_expansion?blog=2
Baton Rouge has a medium size airport and is 80+ miles from New Orleans, which has a major airport.

5. Univ of North Tex in Denton outside of Dallas, new 35k stadium slated to open in 2011. A little on the big side, and also not a I-AA city/stadium.
http://www.meangreensports.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?SPSID=9503&SPID=581&DB_OEM_ID=1800&PALBID=6130
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fouts_Field
You have DFW, American Airlines main Hub & 3rd busiest airport in US & world, or was, about 25 miles from Denton.

6. SMU in Highland Park, TX, 32k. Surrounded by Dallas, they've refused to be annexed. According to according to Wiki wealthiest city in TX & 19th wealthiest in US, with 07' median family income estimated to be 373k. I've been on the SMU campus & took a look at their stadium. Nice. Not a I-AA stadium though.
http://smumustangs.cstv.com/facilities/ford-stadium.html
http://ncaafootball.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=34&url_article_id=12776&change_well_id=2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_J._Ford_Stadium
Again, not far from DFW airport, so easy to get to.

7. Univ of Houston, 32k.
http://www.uh.edu/campus_map/buildings/RS.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robertson_Stadium
Houston's you have George HW Bush International, Continental Airlines main hub, and Houston Hobby, a Southwest focus city airport.

8. Citadel's Johnson Hagood if the NCAA ended their BS boycott in SC, 22k, would be nice. They held the NC in 83-84':
http://www.citadelsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=48656&SPID=4671&DB_OEM_ID=9700&ATCLID=1180796
Charleston has a medium sized airport.

9. ODU's renovated Foreman Field, 20k. According to the below article, it could be expanded beyond the 20k.
http://www.norfolk.com/2009/05/anticipation-odu-football-may-mean-field-expansion
Although why would you put the press boxes & luxury suites on the endzone? Has Norfolk International Airport nearby.

10. ASU, Boone: Nearest major airport would be Charlotte Douglas International 1.5-2 hrs, too cold in the Blue Ridge Mtns in early Jan, hotel availability could be a concern.

11. JMU, Harrisonburg (*2011 completed expansion will bring it to capacity to 24k). Nearest major airport would be Washington Dulles, close to 2 hrs, too cold in the Blue Ridge Mtns/Shenandoah Valley in early Jan, hotel availability could be a concern. Basically would be the same problem as having it in Boone.

12. GSU, Statesboro. Capacity is listed at 18k, but they did host the NC 89'-91', and close to 26k saw GSU beat Stephen F Austin with temp bleachers and SRO.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paulson_Stadium
But 2.5 hrs+ to the nearest major airport, Jacksonville, FL, and 3 hrs from ATL. Would it have the hotel availability to handle 20k+ fans from outside the state of GA?

13. Current UR Stadium, 22k capacity. Site lines on the visitor side suck, as between the 30s you are very far from the action due to its bowl shape.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Richmond_Stadium
Course being the state capital they do have a medium size airport and plenty of hotel availability. Probably not far enough south.

Other not as good locations as those 9. Not in I-AA stadiums/cities, not on the coast, not as easy to get to:

14. LA-Lafayette, 31k, about 2 hrs from New Orleans, 1 hr from Baton Rouge, (1+ hr from McNeese)
http://ncaafootball.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=34&url_article_id=13949&change_well_id=2

15. LA-Monroe, 30k, in middle of no where in northern LA, about 4.5 hrs both New Orleans & Dallas
http://ncaafootball.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=34&url_article_id=12818&change_well_id=2

16. Troy State, 30k, less than an hr south of Montgomery, about 2 1/2 hrs north of Panama City:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movie_Gallery_Stadium

NCAA football stadium guide:
http://www.ncaafootball.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=-1&url_subchannel_id=&url_article_id=13213&change_well_id=2

I didn't forget FIU. Its not a good option. Its only 20k now, which would be just barely big enough, but they are expanding it to 45k expected to be complete for 2010, which would be too big.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIU_Stadium

I'm sure there are a couple of others someone will point out, but remember, I was stipulating IN THE SOUTHEASTERN US/TEXAS, AND 20-35K capacity. Yes, you have warm weather locales and 20-35k stadiums in NM, AZ, and CA, but there isn't enough I-AA prescence in the Southwest to move the NC game out there.

GeauxLions94
June 24th, 2009, 10:55 AM
If not Chattanooga, I vote for Orlando and the new UCF Stadium (Bright House Network Stadium)

http://www.ucf.edu/imresources/sites/WWWUCFEDU/content/live/SECONDARY_PAGE/0/SP6/en_US/Stadium.jpg

NU Hound29
June 24th, 2009, 11:12 AM
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/244/story/728586.html?storylink=omni_popular (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/244/story/728586.html?storylink=omni_popular)

ACC does not equal NCAA

South Carolina host tons of games but NOT NCAA championship events....

mainejeff
June 24th, 2009, 11:20 AM
If not Chattanooga, I vote for Orlando and the new UCF Stadium (Bright House Network Stadium)

http://www.ucf.edu/imresources/sites/WWWUCFEDU/content/live/SECONDARY_PAGE/0/SP6/en_US/Stadium.jpg

Me too. Orlando provides the best of everything (weather, flights, stadium, things to do) for visiting fans

BDKJMU
June 24th, 2009, 11:25 AM

45k capacity. TOO BIG.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bright_House_Networks_Stadium
Imagine a title game with privates like Wofford and UR or northeastern schools that don't travel well (the whole CAA North)or a school from out west that wouldn't bring that many fans. If it was 2 of those teams how ridiculous would 5-10k fans look in a 45k stadium?
Look at the past NC attendance in 12 yrs in Chatty, which has been listed at 12-23k fans. That wouldn't look good in a 45k stadium. Anything shy of 30-35k isn't going to look good in a 45k stadium.

CrazyCat
June 24th, 2009, 11:28 AM
ACC does not equal NCAA

South Carolina host tons of games but NOT NCAA championship events....

I was in the belief that the NCAA considered conference championships as a championship event.

BDKJMU
June 24th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Me too. Orlando provides the best of everything (weather, flights, stadium, things to do) for visiting fans

Having the NC game in a 45k stadium would be asinine. Chatty's 20,608 official capacity stadium has sold out in only 2 of 12 NC games hosted.

Dane96
June 24th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Having a house not to far from FAU-- what stadium are you talking about? They havent broke ground at all.

Monarch Nation
June 24th, 2009, 12:03 PM
9. ODU's renovated Foreman Field, 20k. According to the below article, it could be expanded beyond the 20k.
http://www.norfolk.com/2009/05/anticipation-odu-football-may-mean-field-expansion
Although why would you put the press boxes & luxury suites on the endzone? Has Norfolk International Airport nearby.

Rumor has it that the "Clam Shell" sides built in 1936 are not going to be there much longer, so no need to spend a great deal of money there. If/when new stadium sides are built, luxury suites and up to date press box facilities will be included.

BDKJMU
June 24th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Having a house not to far from FAU-- what stadium are you talking about? They havent broke ground at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAU_Football_Stadium

Apparently there have been some stumbling blocks:
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/opinion/content/opinion/epaper/2008/11/18/a22a_stadiumedit_1118.html

But as of this past Feb article, its still on:
http://www.upressonline.com/fau-stadium-still-planned-for-2010-1.1480442

g-webb1994
June 24th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Charlotte makes good sense, but B of A Stadium would not be the locale, old Memorial Stadium would be. Capacity would fit, but Memorial is falling apart.

Two other alternatives I haven't seen mentioned:

1. The Triangle of NC - play it at Wally Wade at Duke, a nice stadium to see a ball game in, and it did host the Rose Bowl in 1942.

2. GSP - if Furman is supposedly upgrading Paladin Stadium, then it could be an alternative, even Gibbs at Wofford could probably handle the game, and Spartanburg has The Beacon.;)

GannonFan
June 24th, 2009, 01:07 PM
2. GSP - if Furman is supposedly upgrading Paladin Stadium, then it could be an alternative,...

Can't have it at Furman - the game would be scheduled and all set up, and then Furman would find an event willing to pay them more money for the use of the stadium at the same time and we'd be left out in the cold. :p

Libertine
June 24th, 2009, 01:37 PM
I was in the belief that the NCAA considered conference championships as a championship event.

The boycott extends to championship events sponsored by the NCAA itself (ie., bowl games, March Madness regionals, etc.,). The ACC tournament is a conference event and, while they had gone along with the NCAA boycott to this point, they aren't bound by it.

downbythebeach
June 24th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Franklin Field @ University of Pennsylvania

bkrownd
June 24th, 2009, 02:09 PM
The game shouldn't be played anywhere north of Chattanooga unless it's indoors.

Wimp

CollegeSportsInfo
June 24th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Let me see if I got this straight. Montana is beginning the process of trying to keep playoff games because of our gambling laws, but the NCAA would allow the NC game to be in Las Vegas?

xlolxxlolxxlolx

They probably would! :D

First off, my comment was in support of any move to change the championship site to a destination that people would actually want to go to. Chattanooga doesn't cut it there.

Secondly, the NCAA doesn't seem to have a problem with the Mountain West Championship tournament held their every year. So laugh away, the NCAA has permitted Las Vegas to host the tournament that decides which MWC team gets the auto-bid. Hardyharhar.

CollegeSportsInfo
June 24th, 2009, 02:27 PM
My vote would be having the championship in New Orleans, Miami, Las Vegas, or Denver. That way you could make a vacation out of it and visit the LV strip, Bourbon Street, the beaches, or go skiing. All have the major airports that would make it easier to travel to. I never understood why they have it in Chattanooga.

xthumbsupx

CollegeSportsInfo
June 24th, 2009, 03:51 PM
First off, my comment was in support of any move to change the championship site to a destination that people would actually want to go to. Chattanooga doesn't cut it there.

Secondly, the NCAA doesn't seem to have a problem with the Mountain West Championship tournament held their every year. So laugh away, the NCAA has permitted Las Vegas to host the tournament that decides which MWC team gets the auto-bid. Hardyharhar.

Also note, the WAC has moved their basketball championship tournaments to decide the NCAA autobid to Las Vegas.

And yes, I understand these are conferences, and I'd put a number of other cities ahead of Las Vegas for the FCS. But the general idea of having the championship in a destination city is one I would think all FCS fans would want to see (especially us fans who have had to travel to see our teams play for the title).

Jaguar79
June 24th, 2009, 04:06 PM
It would seem to me that having the FCS Championship Game in an FBS stadium would be a bit OUT of LINE.

I'm not a big proponent of the FCS playoffs, but if you're gonna do it, do it right.

I would submit Southern's A.W. Mumford Stadium as a host with 28,500 seats, ample tailgating space, closeness to New Orleans. I do believe we would have an issue with attendance, but with McNeese, Southeastern, the Southland Texas schools and the participating schools, it shouldn't be that bad at all. Whether SWAC fans would be in there heavy is anyone's guess.

But wherever they do it, it needs to be in an FCS Stadium.

Aho_Old_Guy
June 24th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Charlotte Memorial Stadium & Grady Cole Center (http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&om=1&z=18&ll=35.218178,-80.828251&spn=0.003318,0.005032&t=h)

Good

1) 24k capacity
2) 'Uptown' Charlotte would promote game and likely pay big bucks
(they'll probably block off Tryon St and throw yah a parade xlolx)
3) Grady Cole Center could hold a great DrunkFest
4) Could accelerate 49'er football fantasies

Bad

1) It's a dump
(but Charlotte would drop a bundle on improvements for a 5-year commitment )

BDKJMU
June 24th, 2009, 06:07 PM
It would seem to me that having the FCS Championship Game in an FBS stadium would be a bit OUT of LINE.

I'm not a big proponent of the FCS playoffs, but if you're gonna do it, do it right.

I would submit Southern's A.W. Mumford Stadium as a host with 28,500 seats, ample tailgating space, closeness to New Orleans. I do believe we would have an issue with attendance, but with McNeese, Southeastern, the Southland Texas schools and the participating schools, it shouldn't be that bad at all. Whether SWAC fans would be in there heavy is anyone's guess.

But wherever they do it, it needs to be in an FCS Stadium.

I kind of agree. My previous list I limited it to stadiums:
-in the South due to the North being too cold in early Jan for a large chunk of fans, and the Southwest not having enough of a I-AA presence.
-between 20k (less than 20k too small) and 35k (more than 35k too big, and really more than 30k might be too big).

If you further limit it to I-AA that narrows it down to:
1. Chattanooga

2. FAMU's Bragg Memorial in Tallahassee. 25.5k listed capacity, which would be about the perfect size.
http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/florida/tallahassee_bragg.shtml
Tallahassee has a medium sized airport, but is about 2.5 hrs from the nearest major airport in Jacksonville, and would have enough hotel availability.

3. JSU expanding to 24k for 2010, which would be about perfect size.
http://www.jsugamecocksports.com/sports/2009/1/14/FB_0114091949.aspx?path=football
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Snow_Stadium
According to mapquest they're about 1.25 hrs east of Birmingham, about 1.75 hrs west of Atlanta, & about 2 hrs south of Chatty. Not near/by the mtns of N GA like Chatty is, so would be a little warmer than Chatty, and are closer to Atlanta, the busiest airport in the world & Delta's main hub. Would there be enough hotel availability?

4. Southern's Mumford in Baton Rouge since they're getting a 16.5 million facelift and with expansion will according to the article bring them to 29k capacity.
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2008/01/06/southern_s_mumford_statium_expansion?blog=2
Baton Rouge has a medium size airport and is 80+ miles from New Orleans, which has a major airport. Would have enough hotel availability.

5.Citadel's Johnson Hagood if the NCAA ended their BS boycott in SC, 22k, would be nice. They held the NC in 83-84':
http://www.citadelsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=48656&SPID=4671&DB_OEM_ID=9700&ATCLID=1180796
Charleston has a medium sized airport, and would be enough hotel availability.

6. ODU's renovated Foreman Field, 20k. According to the below article, it could be expanded beyond the 20k.
Has Norfolk International Airport nearby, and hr from Richmond, and is a little warmer than Richmond since its on/near the water. Would be enough hotel availability.

7. ASU, Boone: Nearest major airport would be Charlotte Douglas International 1.5-2 hrs, too cold in the Blue Ridge Mtns in early Jan, hotel availability could be a concern.

8. JMU, Harrisonburg (*2011 completed expansion will bring it to capacity to 24k). Nearest major airport would be Washington Dulles, close to 2 hrs, too cold in the Blue Ridge Mtns/Shenandoah Valley in early Jan, hotel availability could be a concern. Basically would be the same problem as having it in Boone.

9. GSU, Statesboro. Capacity is listed at 18k, but they did host the NC 89'-91', and close to 26k saw GSU beat Stephen F Austin with temp bleachers and SRO.
But 2.5 hrs+ to the nearest major airport, Jacksonville, FL, and 3 hrs from ATL. Would it have the hotel availability to handle 20k+ fans from outside the state of GA?

10. Current UR Stadium, 22k capacity. Site lines on the visitor side suck, as between the 30s you are very far from the action due to its bowl shape. Would need major renovation, which would have to be paid for by the City of Richmond. Don't see this happening.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Richmond_Stadium
Course being the state capital they do have a medium size airport and plenty of hotel availability. Probably not far enough south.

I should have stated an indoor stadium would be do able for the North, but I didn't think there were any indoor stadiums that seated 20-35k, much less I-AA.

Even if you did include the northeast, the Yale Bowl (61+k) and Franklin Field (UPenn) in Philly (52+K) are too big. That leaves between 20-30k UD, Princeton and Harvard unless I left anyone out.

sikolec
June 24th, 2009, 06:16 PM
How about the new Dallas Cowboys stadium?!

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1172/3168028882_552fe0b1b3.jpg

Too big...too big I know! But a man can dream! xrotatehx

BDKJMU
June 24th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Charlotte Memorial Stadium & Grady Cole Center (http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&om=1&z=18&ll=35.218178,-80.828251&spn=0.003318,0.005032&t=h)

Good

1) 24k capacity
2) 'Uptown' Charlotte would promote game and likely pay big bucks
(they'll probably block off Tryon St and throw yah a parade xlolx)
3) Grady Cole Center could hold a great DrunkFest
4) Could accelerate 49'er football fantasies

Bad

1) It's a dump
(but Charlotte would drop a bundle on improvements for a 5-year commitment )

Would be a great location, but Memorial sounds like would need MAJOR renovation. I don't see that happening just for the I-AA NC game. Maybe that would be a future option by 2013 or sometime after UNCC has their 1st season but I don't see it being one for at least the 1st 3 years of the expanded playoffs 2010-2012 seasons.

Aho_Old_Guy
June 24th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Would be a great location, but Memorial sounds like would need MAJOR renovation. I don't see that happening just for the I-AA NC game. Maybe that would be a future option by 2013 or sometime after UNCC has their 1st season but I don't see it being one for at least the 1st 3 years of the expanded playoffs 2010-2012 seasons.

Last time I was there (10 yrs ago) it wasn't that bad. I think some of the complaints about conditions are a little overblown - repairs to the seating areas would not be miracles of engineering and should not be that expensive.

They definitely need to upgrade the rest rooms, though ...

AtlantaMountaineer
June 24th, 2009, 07:56 PM
I recently read that some of the seats at Memorial Stadium had actually collapsed and the City of Charlotte didn't have the money to make repairs. I am for the Georgia Dome for obvious reasons. If Georgia State can play there then why not the NC game.

SideLine Shooter
June 24th, 2009, 08:24 PM
I recently read that some of the seats at Memorial Stadium had actually collapsed and the City of Charlotte didn't have the money to make repairs. I am for the Georgia Dome for obvious reasons. If Georgia State can play there then why not the NC game.

Memorial Stadium in Charlotte is a DUMP.xnodxxnodx

SideLine Shooter
June 24th, 2009, 08:26 PM
How about the new Dallas Cowboys stadium?!

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1172/3168028882_552fe0b1b3.jpg

Too big...too big I know! But a man can dream! xrotatehx

How bout the Olympic Stadium in Sydney, Australlia?xlolxxlolxxlolx

Take another drink!

AAadict
June 24th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Having been to two (driving once and flying) in TN. I would like to see the game moved to Florida. Cheap flights, plenty of hotels, and usually good weather in mid-Dec. No stadium knowledge but anything south of Jacksonville.

Jackman
June 24th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Miami, New Orleans and Vegas are the only ideas I like. I'd throw San Fran/San Jose in there too, but unlike Vegas that's an expensive ticket for most of us. And since New Orleans doesn't have a suitable facility and the NCAA will poop on any Vegas bid, that leaves Miami (via FAU/FIU) by default.

If it ain't gonna be at a destination city, then I hope ODU bids, since that's the northeastern-most option that's realistic. I can handle a 9 hour drive to Norfolk. I'm never doing the 17 hour drive to Chatty again.

JDC325
June 24th, 2009, 10:15 PM

+1

Destination city and usually warm.

Cocky
June 24th, 2009, 11:15 PM

We will be eligible by the time it is moved. Our penalty is for only one year.

NovaWildcat
June 25th, 2009, 10:17 AM
When does the FCS championship move to the day before the FBS title game? Or was that just a rumor? I like this move, a lot. The game will get much better ratings, attention - it would be seen as a big bowl game.

It would SEEM as if you would want to do as much as possible to bring attendance/attendance to your sport...having a championship in Chattanooga doesn't quite cut it, in my opinion. Looks second-rate.

lionsrking2
June 25th, 2009, 10:51 AM
And since New Orleans doesn't have a suitable facility and the NCAA will poop on any Vegas bid, that leaves Miami (via FAU/FIU) by default.

Actually New Orleans does have a facility - other than the Dome - that could be made suitable for an FCS championship game. Tad Gormley Stadium (aka City Park Stadium) seats 26,500 and was renovated back in '92 to host the Olympic Track and Field trials...had some damage from Hurricane Katrina but is in relatively good shape right now.

Tulane has played several games there over the past few years. It's not the best place to watch a football game, mainly due to the track around the playing field, but with some renovation, could be made suitable. Of course it will never happen, but wanted to throw it out there since you mentioned New Orleans.

bostonspider
June 25th, 2009, 10:56 AM
How about New Orleans? They have a history of putting on championship events. They have a nice smaller park in Tad Gormey Stadium. Owned by the city, recently renovated after Katrina, brand new turf field donated by Reggie Bush, seats about 26,500. Looks quite nice.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g154/jtonglet/TadGormleyStadium.jpg

http://www.ballparkreviews.com/neworleans/gormley2.JPG

Jackman
June 25th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Actually New Orleans does have a facility - other than the Dome - that could be made suitable for an FCS championship game. Tad Gormley Stadium (aka City Park Stadium) seats 26,500 and was renovated back in '92 to host the Olympic Track and Field trials...had some damage from Hurricane Katrina but is in relatively good shape right now.

Tulane has played several games there over the past few years. It's not the best place to watch a football game, mainly due to the track around the playing field, but with some renovation, could be made suitable. Of course it will never happen, but wanted to throw it out there since you mentioned New Orleans.

I didn't know about Tad Gormley. If it's in good shape, I'd be up for it. Other than the track, it sounds about right. Who owns the stadium?

DFW HOYA
June 25th, 2009, 12:41 PM
More on Tad Gormley:

http://www.neworleanscitypark.com./images/TadStadium.jpg

http://neworleanscitypark.com/tadstadium.html

WUTNDITWAA
June 25th, 2009, 01:02 PM
How about New Orleans? They have a history of putting on championship events. They have a nice smaller park in Tad Gormey Stadium. Owned by the city, recently renovated after Katrina, brand new turf field donated by Reggie Bush, seats about 26,500. Looks quite nice.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g154/jtonglet/TadGormleyStadium.jpg

http://www.ballparkreviews.com/neworleans/gormley2.JPG

I like the track area. It gives us ASU fans some place to congregate in the last five minutes of the game.

xwhistlexxsmiley_wixxlolx

SCPALADIN
June 25th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Last time I was there (10 yrs ago) it wasn't that bad. I think some of the complaints about conditions are a little overblown - repairs to the seating areas would not be miracles of engineering and should not be that expensive.

They definitely need to upgrade the rest rooms, though ...

They couldn't be any worse then the bathrooms on the away side in Boone. xeekx

...or the troughs currently at Furman...xwhistlex

Saint3333
June 25th, 2009, 01:28 PM
They couldn't be any worse then the bathrooms on the away side in Boone. xeekx

...or the troughs currently at Furman...xwhistlex

Not anymore. There are new restrooms on the East Side (2008) and South endzone (2009). KBS will no longer be the butt of facility jokes, well except for the trackxoopsx.

jmufan999
June 25th, 2009, 02:01 PM
xlolx

hey, Phil Steele said it, dude! he didn't say the SoCon was arguably the best league (using "arguably" so as not to p*ss off some of you little girls who would have cried about it), he said the CAA was. last i checked, Phil Steele is a neutral observer.

lionsrking2
June 25th, 2009, 03:13 PM
I didn't know about Tad Gormley. If it's in good shape, I'd be up for it. Other than the track, it sounds about right. Who owns the stadium?

If I'm not mistaken, it's owned by the City of New Orleans considering it's a part of City Park...I don't believe it's state owned.

Seven Would Be Nice
June 25th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Why did they stop having one of the teams host it? Was it considered to unfair for the visiting team?

What has the average attendance been before and after they started with the neutral site?

Gringer1
June 26th, 2009, 01:06 AM
9. GSU, Statesboro. Capacity is listed at 18k, but they did host the NC 89'-91', and close to 26k saw GSU beat Stephen F Austin with temp bleachers and SRO.

Paulson Stadium can comfortably seat 23,000 people, which the championship game hasn't exceeded for 13 years. The discrepancy in official capacity (18,000) and actual (26,000) comes from the natural bowl that the stadium sits in. Seating on the grass slopes is not counted because, well, there aren't seats there, just grass. As for airports, there's a medium sized international airport in Savannah, 1 hour away. The hotel capacity is actually pretty high with several national chains and many locally owned B&B places. The only real drawback to Statesboro hosting the game is probably the town itself. It's a great small southern town, but I don't know that it's exactly the place 20,000 people want to visit at once. I'd say the chances of Statesboro hosting the game every year are pretty small, especially since I don't know that the city even wants to do so.

BDKJMU
June 26th, 2009, 07:39 AM

Too late for me to edit my list from a couple of pages ago, but Tad Gormley, which I didn't know about, although maybe not the most ideal, sounds like it should be thrown in there.

BDKJMU
June 26th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Paulson Stadium can comfortably seat 23,000 people, which the championship game hasn't exceeded for 13 years. The discrepancy in official capacity (18,000) and actual (26,000) comes from the natural bowl that the stadium sits in. Seating on the grass slopes is not counted because, well, there aren't seats there, just grass. As for airports, there's a medium sized international airport in Savannah, 1 hour away. The hotel capacity is actually pretty high with several national chains and many locally owned B&B places. The only real drawback to Statesboro hosting the game is probably the town itself. It's a great small southern town, but I don't know that it's exactly the place 20,000 people want to visit at once. I'd say the chances of Statesboro hosting the game every year are pretty small, especially since I don't know that the city even wants to do so.

Welcome to AGS. Good points about Paulson. Savannah is a very nice small/medium sized airport, and a very historic Southern city with a lot of stuff to visit. I've flown in and out of there about 5 times. As far as hotels, remember, though, for 2 non GA teams bringing 20k fans, probably 16-18k will want hotel rooms. Thats probably going to warrant 6k-8k hotel rooms which I would imagine Statesboro doesn't have close to. Course some people would elect to stay in Savannah.

I think just as many people would be willing to come to Statesboro as they would Chatty. And I wouldn't know if the city wouldn't want to, as it could be a financial boon for the hotel & restaurant industry as Jan 5-8 in most places I imagine are slow being the beginning of the post holiday season, and in most college towns the students aren't back yet.

As for me, for tailgating purposes I would rather drive. If JMU ever makes the NC game again, both locations are nearly equal distance from me by Mapquest (727 & 736 miles, both listed at 12+ hr drives which I could probably make in 11 drive time), so I wouldn't have any preference over the Chatty or Statesboro, as with both I could stop and see family in VA time providing. For Chatty though I would like to see the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park (I'm a little bit of a history buff) which I didn't get a chance to see when JMU made it in 04' plus time providing I could swing through the Great Smokies/Blue Ridge Parkway on the way back which I've only been to once. The only other ones I could/would drive to that I listed earlier would be ODU, the Citadel, JMU, and ASU. JSU would probably be too far. The Citadel can't host due to the SC boycott, and I would imagine Harrisonburg & Boone wouldn't even consider bidding, much less be considered. So for right now, if its going to stay in a I-AA, I hope its Chatty, ODU, or GSU so I could still drive with friends.

Right now we don't know who besides Chatty will even bid, if anyone else does.

NHwildEcat
June 26th, 2009, 08:23 AM
I think that if your a die hard of a particular team, that distance and location will not matter as much as your team playing for a championship. I understand that they would like to draw in the average fan, but sometimes that can be hard for sporting events that do not receive their due credit.

If UNH ever were to be fortunate enough to make it to the title game, I probably would not be able to go no matter what city it is in; it is just too short of a time frame.

But once they move the game back a few weeks, well now I have a chance to attend, therfore the biggest issue with the title change is not the city reloaction but rather the weekend it will be played!

BDKJMU
June 26th, 2009, 08:27 AM
When does the FCS championship move to the day before the FBS title game? Or was that just a rumor? I like this move, a lot. The game will get much better ratings, attention - it would be seen as a big bowl game.

It would SEEM as if you would want to do as much as possible to bring attendance/attendance to your sport...having a championship in Chattanooga doesn't quite cut it, in my opinion. Looks second-rate.

2010, and its official.
http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_142825.asp
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/ncaa?ContentID=40001

jonmac
June 26th, 2009, 08:37 AM
2010, and its official.
http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_142825.asp
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/ncaa?ContentID=40001

Just to clarify, 2010 season. So that would be January 2011. Same season that the playoffs expand to 20 teams. (BDK, I got this from your links, just posted it for those who may not read the links, thanks.)

BDKJMU
June 26th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Just to clarify, 2010 season. So that would be January 2011. Same season that the playoffs expand to 20 teams. (BDK, I got this from your links, just posted it for those who may not read the links, thanks.)

10-4 JonMac, you're correct, 2010 season, January of 2011. Whoever wins the NC that year will be credited with winning the 2010 NC.

Gringer1
June 26th, 2009, 11:33 AM
I kind of liked the game being just before Christmas. It gave the victor a nice early Christmas present and let the holidays sort of unwind the pent up football emotions. However, I don't think the enjoyment of the game will be brought down at all by the move, it just might have a different feel.

JDC325
June 26th, 2009, 12:29 PM

There are only about 14,000+/- thousand actual real seats at Paulson Stadium.

BDKJMU
June 26th, 2009, 12:45 PM
The 1st 4 BCS National Championship games:
06'-07' season: Mon, Jan 8
07'-08' season Mon, Jan 7
08'-09' Thur, Jan 8
09'-10' Thur, Jane 7

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowl_Championship_Series

ESPN gets the rights to the BCS games starting in 2011'. The 10'-11' schedule hasn't been announced yet, but I I would imagine it could be:
10'-11' Thur, Jan 6

That would mean the 1st NC game on the eve of the BCS title game would be on Wed, Jan 5.

The semis that season (held on the same weekend as the NC is now) should be on Fri, Dec 17th and Sat, Dec 18th.

That would be a little less than 3 weeks, 19 and 20 days, for fans to plan which, would = more fans. But mid week will = less fans. Regardless of where the NC is held in Jan 2011, it might be a little difficult to predict how attendance will be.

Sly Fox
June 26th, 2009, 01:05 PM
When the Dynamo/TSU stadium finally gets done here in Houston then I think it'd be an outstanding option.

BDKJMU
June 26th, 2009, 01:27 PM
When the Dynamo/TSU stadium finally gets done here in Houston then I think it'd be an outstanding option.

Doesn't sound like that would be an option till at LEAST 2011.
"Economic downturn stalls Dynamo’s CBD stadium deal"
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/othercities/houston/stories/2008/11/10/story7.html?b=1226293200^1728797

BDKJMU
June 26th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Here's a great link with a list of 1820 stadiums in the U.S:
http://www.worldstadiums.com/north_america/countries/united_states.shtml

In my previous list of football stadiums in the South 20-35k I left off
-BBT at Wake in Winston Salem 31k
-Wallace Wade at Duke in Durham, 34k (its a dump),
-Roberst Stadium at S. Miss in Hattiesburg
-LT Smith at W KY in Bowling Green 23,500 (I believe its getting an expansion).
-Indian Stadium at Ark State in Jonesboro, 33,400

-Aggie Stadium at NC A&T in Greensboro, 22k
-Crampton Bowl at Ala State in Montgomery at 21,800
-Lewis Crewes Stadium at Ala A&M in Huntsville at 21k
-Jack Spinks Stadium at Alcorn State in Lorman, Miss at 22,500
-Roy Kidd Stadium, EKU, Richmond, 20k

-Tom Kimbrough Stadium, W Tx A&M, Canyon, 20k (too far west out in the middle of nowhere).

-Alamo Stadium, San Antonio, 23k, largest HS stadium in the state of TX (Mesquite would be the 2nd largest at 20k).

UNIFanSince1983
June 30th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Why did they stop having one of the teams host it? Was it considered to unfair for the visiting team?

What has the average attendance been before and after they started with the neutral site?

Well technically one of the teams still does host it. It is UT Chattanooga. It was technically always on a neutral site, but when in Statesboro Ga Southern happened to make it 2 out of those 3 years, and when in Huntington Marshall happened to make it 4 out of those 5 years. I mean if UT Chattanooga was good they would have had a home field advantage.

ur2k
June 30th, 2009, 08:31 AM
I think if Chatty puts in a competitive bid, the game isn't going anywhere. We had a great experience as Spider Fans in December in Nooga so I'd be all for continuing to keep the game there. It's drivable for Southerners & East Coasters and has 2 other airports within driving distance (Nashville and Atlanta) for those who have to fly if flying into Chattanooga is too expensive.

Like many others have said - I would love Charleston as the location having a perfect size FCS stadium and being such a great city.

813Jag
June 30th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Here's a great link with a list of 1820 stadiums in the U.S:
http://www.worldstadiums.com/north_america/countries/united_states.shtml

In my previous list of football stadiums in the South 20-35k I left off
-BBT at Wake in Winston Salem 31k
-Wallace Wade at Duke in Durham, 34k (its a dump),
-Roberst Stadium at S. Miss in Hattiesburg
-LT Smith at W KY in Bowling Green 23,500 (I believe its getting an expansion).
-Indian Stadium at Ark State in Jonesboro, 33,400

-Aggie Stadium at NC A&T in Greensboro, 22k
-Crampton Bowl at Ala State in Montgomery at 21,800
-Lewis Crewes Stadium at Ala A&M in Huntsville at 21k
-Jack Spinks Stadium at Alcorn State in Lorman, Miss at 22,500
-Roy Kidd Stadium, EKU, Richmond, 20k

-Tom Kimbrough Stadium, W Tx A&M, Canyon, 20k (too far west out in the middle of nowhere).

-Alamo Stadium, San Antonio, 23k, largest HS stadium in the state of TX (Mesquite would be the 2nd largest at 20k).
I know you are just listing sites, but Alcorn's in the middle of the woods. There's no where to stay there and the stadium is built with uneven sides.

BDKJMU
June 30th, 2009, 10:43 AM
I think if Chatty puts in a competitive bid, the game isn't going anywhere. We had a great experience as Spider Fans in December in Nooga so I'd be all for continuing to keep the game there. It's drivable for Southerners & East Coasters and has 2 other airports within driving distance (Nashville and Atlanta) for those who have to fly if flying into Chattanooga is too expensive.

Like many others have said - I would love Charleston as the location having a perfect size FCS stadium and being such a great city.

I sort of agree. Right now if I had to lay odds on it, I would say 50% it stays in Chatty (unless the NCAA were to mandate that it had to move to a warmer location), with there being at least a handful of other locations that could possibly get it IF they put in a bid.

As in previous posts, agree about Citadel/Charleston:
-within a day's driving distance of 1 1/2 of the Big 4 conferences (all of So-Con and CAA South)
-almost perfect size stadium I-AA stadium
-warmer than Chatty (key for early Jan)
-more to do
-have hosted the NC before back in the 80s.

There's just the darn NCAA boycott though.....xnonono2x

Aho_Old_Guy
June 30th, 2009, 12:38 PM
I sort of agree. Right now if I had to lay odds on it, I would say 50% it stays in Chatty (unless the NCAA were to mandate that it had to move to a warmer location), with there being at least a handful of other locations that could possibly get it IF they put in a bid.

~~~~~

I'd guess it stays at Finley, too, but if the "Big City" of Metrolina decides to butt in there is probably no greater central location if you draw a 500-mile radius around the City. It's not like they would have problems with transportation or hotel rooms. And boy do they luv to show off their tall buildings xlolx

It actually works for 49er football as their 'capital campaign' has not gotten a great start. Their “Football Feasibility Committee” actually suggested a possible partnership with the county for the use of an upgraded Memorial Stadium (as a 'stepping stone' on their way to the FBS).

It could lead to them playing ball by 2012, get them extra time to raise funds for their campus stadium and fill that gaping void in their lust for college football.

AppAlum
June 30th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Another vote for Charleston, would love to see the Mountaineers win a title in my town:)

UNH_Alum_In_CT
June 30th, 2009, 02:03 PM
I haven't been to Chatty, but I have visited Charleston and ridden my bike out to The Citadel's stadium and campus. From what I recall posted by many people who've attended the title game in Chatty, they were able to walk to Finley Stadium from downtown hotels. I can't envision the same thing in Charleston. Is there enough parking around the stadium at El Cid to handle a crowd primarily not associated with The Citadel? Would Charleston implement something like that trolley that Chattanooga has to move people from the downtown hotels out to The Citadel campus? Based on comments I've read on this forum, I question whether Charleston and The Citadel could match the environment in Chattanooga. And don't take this the wrong way, I very much enjoy visiting Charleston and would much rather drive to the SC low country in January then down I-81 and I-75 through the mountains to Chatty!! Probably a moot point with that flag issue the NCAA has with SC.

Everybody who has attended the title game in Chatty has had positive comments about the host city. I think it will take a significant proposal to have the NCAA select another site if Chatty bids.

I think it should be a FCS city if at all possible. One site that intrigues me is Tallahassee and FAMU's stadium. While not having the most robust air travel options, it is farther South and should have good weather for a night game. The FAMU band could also participate adding to the atmosphere in case a participant doesn't have a large band or can't afford to bring their band. A couple of SWAC sites could provide the same, but would not being in a true playoff conference temper their interest? 813jag, what do you think about Southern hosting?

I think to me the biggest question to be answered is what additional is planned by the NCAA to go along with the championship game. Might there be an all star game between FCS players? Or one with FCS players taking on non-BCS FBS all stars? Does there need to be some kind of convention center or similar facility to have a significant "fan zone" experience? Without knowing that, I'd stick to a FCS city/school. If they plan to truly grow the event, then I'll think bigger for the venue site.

89Hen
June 30th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Glad I was on vacation when this topic surfaces again. It never ceases to amaze me the people that have never been to Chatty for the game that think it needs to move. Also all the empty promises of "If it were in X, I'd go.". xrolleyesx xcoffeex

- Chatty has been a great host. There is no need to wish it to move until somebody BETTER comes along.

- It has to stay in a smaller city, preferably one that is home to I-AA football.

- It has to be held in a stadium there's a chance it will sell out. 20k in a 50-70k stadium is a TERRIBLE idea.

- It needs to stay where you will have the best chance of having at least one of the teams within driving distance.

89Hen
June 30th, 2009, 03:19 PM
From what I recall posted by many people who've attended the title game in Chatty, they were able to walk to Finley Stadium from downtown hotels.

Everybody who has attended the title game in Chatty has had positive comments about the host city. I think it will take a significant proposal to have the NCAA select another site if Chatty bids.

I think it should be a FCS city if at all possible.
Wise words. xthumbsupx xbowx

89Hen
June 30th, 2009, 03:20 PM

What stadium?

furman94
June 30th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Costal's Briggs Stadium in Conway? That wouldn't even hold all of App's fan base. Imagine trying to fit App and Delaware or Montana in that stadium. It wouldnt work.

biggie
June 30th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Costal's Briggs Stadium in Conway? That wouldn't even hold all of App's fan base. Imagine trying to fit App and Delaware or Montana in that stadium. It wouldnt work.
Technically Chatty didn't work for that either (could have been much larger for App vs Delware it seemed). But they have to assume App won't be in it I guess for the sake of arguement when deciding on a place.

I will agree that my two trips I have little to complain about (except maybe the city's preparedness for tailgating, aka port-a-johns).

Retro
June 30th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I've been to chatty twice and the only negative's i really have toward it is that both times it was extremely cold, 1 day game and 1 night game...

Now, i don't need for people to come on here and say football is supposed to be played in cold or snow, blah, blah, blah.. I understand all that.. I would prefer a little more warmer area just so it's more enjoyable to not only watch the game, but the festivities before the game as well...

Besides that, for future growth, i'd like to see a bigger stadium.. Something between 30,000 and 40,000 would be ideal when there are those games which large fan bases sell it out and need more seats... Of course, this is not a real problem every year...

I still believe Mobile, AL is a great spot.. The stadium is nice, holds 40,000, easy travel in and out of with major airport, trains, buses, cruise ships, etc..

I'd like to see Lake Charles bid one day, but we need to increase stadium size by at least 5,000 for that to happen.. We have plenty of hotels now and more coming online over the next year.. Local support here would good too.

slycat
June 30th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Seems if the date of the game is getting moved to the day before the BCS championship then just have it in that stadium. Then it would rotate to 4 different locations and everybodys happy. With all the college football fans in town they could enjoy another game. Heck make it a 2 for 1. This way 80,000 people watch the championship.xlolx

3rd Coast Tiger
June 30th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Seems if the date of the game is getting moved to the day before the BCS championship then just have it in that stadium. Then it would rotate to 4 different locations and everybodys happy. With all the college football fans in town they could enjoy another game. Heck make it a 2 for 1. This way 80,000 people watch the championship.xlolx

Kinda like that idea. xthumbsupx

g-webb1994
June 30th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Well I believe the Orange Bowl did the same type of freebie thing with the BCS game in January, and you saw all the empty seats for the Orange Bowl.

Heck, move the game back to Pocatello, I'm sure Furman fans wouldn't mind.;)

BearsCountry
July 1st, 2009, 01:31 AM
If Coastal can get Brooks Stadium up to 20k I think Mytrle Beach would be a nice choice. Hotels, weather, stuff to do.

813Jag
July 1st, 2009, 07:11 AM
I haven't been to Chatty, but I have visited Charleston and ridden my bike out to The Citadel's stadium and campus. From what I recall posted by many people who've attended the title game in Chatty, they were able to walk to Finley Stadium from downtown hotels. I can't envision the same thing in Charleston. Is there enough parking around the stadium at El Cid to handle a crowd primarily not associated with The Citadel? Would Charleston implement something like that trolley that Chattanooga has to move people from the downtown hotels out to The Citadel campus? Based on comments I've read on this forum, I question whether Charleston and The Citadel could match the environment in Chattanooga. And don't take this the wrong way, I very much enjoy visiting Charleston and would much rather drive to the SC low country in January then down I-81 and I-75 through the mountains to Chatty!! Probably a moot point with that flag issue the NCAA has with SC.

I think it should be a FCS city if at all possible. One site that intrigues me is Tallahassee and FAMU's stadium. While not having the most robust air travel options, it is farther South and should have good weather for a night game. The FAMU band could also participate adding to the atmosphere in case a participant doesn't have a large band or can't afford to bring their band. A couple of SWAC sites could provide the same, but would not being in a true playoff conference temper their interest? 813jag, what do you think about Southern hosting?

I think to me the biggest question to be answered is what additional is planned by the NCAA to go along with the championship game. Might there be an all star game between FCS players? Or one with FCS players taking on non-BCS FBS all stars? Does there need to be some kind of convention center or similar facility to have a significant "fan zone" experience? Without knowing that, I'd stick to a FCS city/school. If they plan to truly grow the event, then I'll think bigger for the venue site.
I'll make the same statement about Southern as I would for any other place that I'm familiar with. And that's local support, I can honestly say outside of a few curious fans (or nearby SLC fans) you won't get much turnout. The majority of Baton Rouge could care less about FCS football (or most of FBS for that matter). The lodging is there and New Orleans isn't far but I don't see much interest for it in the city. To me local support is a big thing especially if two teams that don't travel well make the game. Prime example look at the ACC title game last season, the city of Tampa didn't support and it was left on the shoulders of Virginia Tech and Boston College.

BDKJMU
July 1st, 2009, 08:15 AM
Glad I was on vacation when this topic surfaces again. It never ceases to amaze me the people that have never been to Chatty for the game that think it needs to move. Also all the empty promises of "If it were in X, I'd go.". xrolleyesx xcoffeex

- Chatty has been a great host. There is no need to wish it to move until somebody BETTER comes along.

- It has to stay in a smaller city, preferably one that is home to I-AA football.

- It has to be held in a stadium there's a chance it will sell out. 20k in a 50-70k stadium is a TERRIBLE idea.

- It needs to stay where you will have the best chance of having at least one of the teams within driving distance.

89, IF the NC were to stay Fri night between Dec 14-19 as it has throughout the last decade I totally agree with you. BUT just to keep in mind:
-early Jan- weatherwise a big negative anywhere north of the deep South, espially well inland.
-likely midweek- big negative
-increase from 6 days/a week close to 3 weeks fpr fans to plan & make travel arrangements- huge positive.

With those above 3 major changes in mind I can't say right now whether or not I want it to stay in Chatty until I see who else (if anyone) bids for the game and what the details are.xcoffeex

BDKJMU
July 1st, 2009, 08:26 AM
I've been to chatty twice and the only negative's i really have toward it is that both times it was extremely cold, 1 day game and 1 night game...

Now, i don't need for people to come on here and say football is supposed to be played in cold or snow, blah, blah, blah.. I understand all that.. I would prefer a little more warmer area just so it's more enjoyable to not only watch the game, but the festivities before the game as well...

Besides that, for future growth, i'd like to see a bigger stadium.. Something between 30,000 and 40,000 would be ideal when there are those games which large fan bases sell it out and need more seats... Of course, this is not a real problem every year...

I still believe Mobile, AL is a great spot.. The stadium is nice, holds 40,000, easy travel in and out of with major airport, trains, buses, cruise ships, etc..

I'd like to see Lake Charles bid one day, but we need to increase stadium size by at least 5,000 for that to happen.. We have plenty of hotels now and more coming online over the next year.. Local support here would good too.

The only way I could see the NC game in the near future EVER needing 40k capacity midweek in early Jan would MAYBE be if it was ASU and GSU in Charlotte (or Chatty if it could hold that many) and even then I doubt you'd get a sellout. If you have 2 small privates or a private and a school from out west besides Montana midweek in early Jan in Mobile you could have 5-10k fans. How ridiculous would that look in a 40 k stadiumxeekx I couldn't see a 40k stadium in Mobile ever come even close to selling out mid week in early Jan for the NC game even if it was MCNeese vs Samford, GSU, or ASU.

ASUMountaineer
July 1st, 2009, 08:31 AM
Don't know if it's been suggested on this thread, but I've made the suggestion before: Papa John's Stadium in Louisville, Kentucky. It's somewhat close the geographic center of the vast majority of FCS teams and is a nice stadium.

Monarch History
July 1st, 2009, 08:31 AM
If I had to make a bet I also would say it stays in Chattanooga. All these great cities and sites mentioned, but we all know it only matters it the city puts in a bid. It will be interesting to follow the process and its rumors.

BDKJMU
July 1st, 2009, 08:34 AM
Don't know if it's been suggested on this thread, but I've made the suggestion before: Papa John's Stadium in Louisville, Kentucky. It's somewhat close the geographic center of the vast majority of FCS teams and is a nice stadium.

42k capacity. Too Big.
http://www.worldstadiums.com/north_america/countries/united_states/kentucky.shtml

runHENrun
July 1st, 2009, 11:21 AM
Why not Delaware Stadium, they have everything needed, including great game day atmosphere, and as far as the NCAA vs Delaware playoff thing goes, imo they'll be playoff games at UD (if needed) till doomsday or FBS....which ever comes first.

DLS
July 1st, 2009, 12:26 PM
If Coastal can get Brooks Stadium up to 20k I think Mytrle Beach would be a nice choice. Hotels, weather, stuff to do.

no i dont like having to bust out my jean shorts and gold chains

CollegeSportsInfo
July 1st, 2009, 12:26 PM
Why not Delaware Stadium, they have everything needed, including great game day atmosphere, and as far as the NCAA vs Delaware playoff thing goes, imo they'll be playoff games at UD (if needed) till doomsday or FBS....which ever comes first.

Wow. It's tough enough to get people excited about a trip to Chattanooga. But Newark? Really? In the CAA alone, there are 7-8 more desirable locations.

The Gadfly
July 1st, 2009, 12:28 PM
Count anywhere in South Carolina out. We are the Cuba of the NCAACP . . . send food

KiddBrewer
July 1st, 2009, 01:08 PM

i like the idea! ofcourse, however, the weather aint gonna be spectacular in Dec-Jan. there either. and if youve ever been to MB that time of year, theres about as many people there as there are in Chattanooga. I guess you might have more places to eat, but thats about the only difference. Would be plenty of hotels....

henfan
July 1st, 2009, 02:29 PM
If I had to make a bet I also would say it stays in Chattanooga. All these great cities and sites mentioned, but we all know it only matters it the city puts in a bid.

Sure didn't take you long to figure it out. Kudos!xthumbsupx

The threads and pages of discussion on this topic, while maybe fun, are completely pointless until cities line up with actual bids. In the end, it doesn't matter what cities the fans would like to see host.

Chattanooga will undoubtedly bid. Cedar Falls/Waterloo might also. Sorry to be a party pooper but unless you know that another city that is actually planning to bid on the game, the discussion starts and ends with those two locations... for now.

89Hen
July 1st, 2009, 02:45 PM
89, IF the NC were to stay Fri night between Dec 14-19 as it has throughout the last decade I totally agree with you. BUT just to keep in mind:
-early Jan- weatherwise a big negative anywhere north of the deep South, espially well inland.
I've never been to Chatty other than the NC game in 2007, but the average high/low on Dec 15 and Jan 5 is 1 or 2 degrees difference. xpeacex

89Hen
July 1st, 2009, 02:47 PM
Cedar Falls/Waterloo might also.
Delaware's trip in the snow/ice there in 2007 should automatically disqualify them. xnodx

89Hen
July 1st, 2009, 02:49 PM
Why not Delaware Stadium, they have everything needed
xeyebrowx Maybe when the new stadium is built. :)

Big Dawg
July 1st, 2009, 03:16 PM
Orlando, FL would be nice.

SU Jag
July 1st, 2009, 08:36 PM
Louis Crews Stadium (Alabama A&M) Huntsville, Al
https://www.southtix.com/venues/images/crew.jpg

Big Dawg
July 1st, 2009, 09:54 PM
Louis Crews Stadium (Alabama A&M) Huntsville, Al
https://www.southtix.com/venues/images/crew.jpg

Bleachers too far away from the field

ASU
July 2nd, 2009, 07:48 AM

The CAA? Ranked 8th in Attendance last year? Are you serious?

The CAA was ranked 8th in attendance figures in 2008? Do you have a link? I had not heard that.
8th.....wow....that's terrible.

MSUBear42
July 2nd, 2009, 07:51 AM
Orlando, FL would be nice.

I actually agree with this... Have it here:

http://flynfredii.com/images/CitrusBowl.jpg

89Hen
July 2nd, 2009, 09:06 AM
Bleachers too far away from the field
Beat me to it. Maybe they removed a track, but the damage is still there.

89Hen
July 2nd, 2009, 09:15 AM
The CAA? Ranked 8th in Attendance last year? Are you serious?

The CAA was ranked 8th in attendance figures in 2008? Do you have a link? I had not heard that.
8th.....wow....that's terrible.
Not surprising. CAA north has some doosies.

3. Delaware = 21,609
10. James Madison = 15,362
18. Massachusetts = 12,383
33. William & Mary = 9,738
50. New Hampshire = 8,000
56. Richmond = 7,337
64. Villanova = 6,691
81. Towson = 4,980
84. Rhode Island = 4,853
86. Maine = 4,693
98. Hofstra = 3,604
105. Northeastern = 2,937

To be the complete a-hole, if you take UD out of equation, you not only lose the 21k at home, but you lose a lot of numbers at other schools too. Hen fans are close to outnumbering home fans at games at Nova, Hofstra and Towson and routinely bring a couple thousand to W&M, JMU and Richmond.

UNIFanSince1983
July 2nd, 2009, 09:21 AM

It would be nice in Orlando, but look how huge that stadium is. There is no way we could draw enough to fill that stadium. It is at least double the size of Finley, and the only times that was filled was when App only had to make a trip across the mountains.

If there was a nice 25k to 30k stadium in Orlando that would be perfect.

CharlestonAppFan
July 2nd, 2009, 09:29 AM
Another vote for Charleston, would love to see the Mountaineers win a title in my town:)

xnodx Definitely need to get together sometime xthumbsupx

813Jag
July 2nd, 2009, 09:44 AM

the citrus bowl is a piece of crap.

Monarch Nation
July 2nd, 2009, 10:50 AM
the citrus bowl is a piece of crap.

Yes it sure is. When UCF played there they would block off the upper deck to bring the crowd closer to the field. The same thing could be done with the UCF stadium should the NC be played there. All in all UCF stadium is smaller than the Citrus Bowl, and a lot younger (by about 60 years, I think). Better part of town as well.

813Jag
July 2nd, 2009, 10:52 AM
Yes it sure is. When UCF played there they would block off the upper deck to bring the crowd closer to the field. The same thing could be done with the UCF stadium should the NC be played there. All in all UCF stadium is smaller than the Citrus Bowl, and a lot younger (by about 60 years, I think). Better part of town as well.
yes, Brighthouse Stadium is only a couple of years old. Are you in the Orlando area? There are a few AGSers here in Florida.

Monarch Nation
July 2nd, 2009, 01:25 PM
Yup, just outside of Orlando in the Liquid Sunshine State.

Big Dawg
July 2nd, 2009, 02:42 PM
It would be nice in Orlando, but look how huge that stadium is. There is no way we could draw enough to fill that stadium. It is at least double the size of Finley, and the only times that was filled was when App only had to make a trip across the mountains.

If there was a nice 25k to 30k stadium in Orlando that would be perfect.

If FAMU made it, then atleast one side would be filled...xnodx

Jackman
July 2nd, 2009, 04:00 PM
Not surprising. CAA north has some doosies.

3. Delaware = 21,609
10. James Madison = 15,362
18. Massachusetts = 12,383
33. William & Mary = 9,738
50. New Hampshire = 8,000
56. Richmond = 7,337
64. Villanova = 6,691
81. Towson = 4,980
84. Rhode Island = 4,853
86. Maine = 4,693
98. Hofstra = 3,604
105. Northeastern = 2,937

For purposes of this discussion though, none of those bottom teams are getting near the championship game any time soon except maybe Maine, and they're not going to be anywhere near the site no matter where it is.

Losing our 3 best attended games (UConn, Villanova, and Delaware) and replacing them with our worst attended game (Hofstra) definitely hasn't helped us.

Gringer1
July 2nd, 2009, 05:34 PM
I have a lot of great memories at the Citrus Bowl, but I agree that it's a little run down. The city of Orlando does have plans to freshen it up though, it's part of their "Triple Crown for Down Town." The Citrus Bowl would probably not be a good choice due to it's unnecessary size and the fact that it's, well, in the ghetto. Homeless people line up at the gates because they get paid to clean up after all events, so the stadium is surrounded by hobos and crack houses.
Interesting note: a lot of the game scenes in The Water Boy were filmed in the Citrus Bowl.

NU Hound29
July 22nd, 2009, 07:57 AM

Just for the record the ACC has backed off and moved the games away from SC

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=4309688

AppMan
July 22nd, 2009, 08:02 PM
Wake Forest's BB&T Field is the perfect size although something would have to be done about the endzones and ACC logo's.

http://wakeforestsports.cstv.com/facilities/wake-groves.html

TBirdz
July 23rd, 2009, 10:19 PM
If you want to be logical, somewhere in Missouri would make sense being that it truly is in the middle of the country. I would love to see it in the Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis. Nice downtown stadium, weather won't be a concern, lots to do, and it's a very hospitable city. If not there, I agree with the ideas of Louisville's Papa John's Stadium and/or SMU's Ford Stadium. Even the Cotton Bowl would be a cool idea. I think a stadium such as one of these helps the image of FCS football with FBS fans. Playing it in a massive high school stadium would not look good as it diminishes the fact FCS football is Division 1.