PDA

View Full Version : Blog: WSSU Should Go Back to CIAA

TexasTerror
June 21st, 2009, 05:53 PM
Here's one for you - a blog that states the WSSU should do an about face and turn back to the CIAA. Is there a school that has begun the transition to FCS and then went right back to Div II?

Some of the things in this article, I had never heard of and could really be pivotal in what happens at WSSU. One such fact as "the school’s most prominent athletic alumnus is on record opposing the transition."

What more is there on this subject...?

Winston-Salem State University has too much working against it to complete a big move to Division I. Through all of the drama about fundraising and direction, no clear initiatives have been brought forward to salvage the goal of economic growth and sustainability. The only thing we ever read about is heated discussions at town hall meetings and the potential for students to foot the bill.

I would commend Chancellor Donald Reaves for his honesty and candor, but there is more that he can do. He has the power to do something other than meekly shrug his shoulders and loudly lament the lack of support. There is a move he can make to soften the blow of blogs like FireDonaldReaves.com.

Chancellor Reaves can stop making soft excuses for what they don’t have, and start the hard move back to the CIAA.

http://www.hbcusportsblog.com/2009/06/all-roads-lead-back-to-ciaa-for-winston-salem-state-university/

gophoenix
June 21st, 2009, 10:50 PM
Here's one for you - a blog that states the WSSU should do an about face and turn back to the CIAA. Is there a school that has begun the transition to FCS and then went right back to Div II?

Some of the things in this article, I had never heard of and could really be pivotal in what happens at WSSU. One such fact as "the school’s most prominent athletic alumnus is on record opposing the transition."

What more is there on this subject...?

http://www.hbcusportsblog.com/2009/06/all-roads-lead-back-to-ciaa-for-winston-salem-state-university/

Well, not an FCS school but Birmingham Southern went Big South and then within a few years dropped down to D-III.

Also, Armstrong St and Augusta St were charter Big South members who later dropped back to D-II.

rjg129
June 22nd, 2009, 01:39 AM
Personally, I feel the move to D-1 was doomed when Dr. Martin left the University...He was able to get the city council and local power brokers to back him when he wanted something for the school...Donald Reaves does not have that kind of support yet...

also, the booster clubs and local organizations that supported and followed the Rams wherever they went are loosing members...part of that was Chico Caldwell...Many people were very upset with the scheduling of revenue producing sports...

EPJr
June 22nd, 2009, 12:14 PM
technically they are still D2 as they have yet to finish qualifying as a D1 school

gophoenix
June 22nd, 2009, 01:33 PM
technically they are still D2 as they have yet to finish qualifying as a D1 school

Technically, no they aren't. It is no-mans land because of the possibility that staff, funding, scholarships are at D-I levels.

whoanellie
June 22nd, 2009, 07:19 PM
very sadd as WSSU deserves much better fate.... MEAC is the wrong move... change the old HBCU mindset and go to the BigSouth.... basketball scheduling was a nightmare as they played 25 plus games at away sites?
AD out (Chico Caldwell Workout is a great program) new administration without a clue... seems like an A&T scenario...... imitation is sincerest form of flattery

gr8ness97
June 23rd, 2009, 01:10 PM
That blog is terrible at portraying some of the issues at WSSU.

One of the issues is the scheduling of Games. Last year, we had none of our rivals play and only Homecoming eclipsed the 10K mark (in an 18K stadium, in which we rent xnonox). It takes us 6k to break even and we get no money from concessions.

The year before, we had both In State Rivals (NC A&T and NCCU) play at home and we had a record season with ticket sales (and we went 6-5 that year). Thats one thing affecting the bottom line.

We have also played games in the coliseum and the adjoining annex, which costs money too. Our on campus gym only fits a cozy 1K.

Our new Chancellor is a finance guy, so he understand the importance of funding. However, he isnt very popular with students and alumns alike, so that doesnt help the situation. Not to mention, our campus is 70% female and many grads are in education and nursing. That doesnt translate to a very supporting Fan Base for us. Not to mention, our school is such a bandwagon school, not diehard rabid fans.

I think this year tells the tale of what happens to us.

NSUSPARTAN
June 23rd, 2009, 02:34 PM
I wish the MEAC would decide on them. Right now we have to play them in every sport, which is not helping any team with there status. This year in a 11 game season we can only play two OCC. I think WSSU can can help the MEAC them just got to make the jump.