PDA

View Full Version : Pick the National Champion

bobcatfan06
December 4th, 2005, 12:21 AM
Out of the Final Four, select your pick to be National Champion.

GoGatos
December 4th, 2005, 01:56 AM
You know, I wonder how come everyone has seemed to be on the fence about the Bobcats. I mean, most people thought we would lose to GSU, then everyone thought Cal Poly would wreck shop after their upset in Missoula, and now I think most are going with UNI simply because we're new. We may not be a traditional power or anything, but we've done nothing but rise to the challenge all year long.

Grizo406
December 4th, 2005, 04:42 AM
UNI.

dungeonjoe
December 4th, 2005, 05:09 AM
I'll take humility and hard work over arrogance by a touchdown. :rotateh:

nmatsen
December 4th, 2005, 08:57 AM
You know, I wonder how come everyone has seemed to be on the fence about the Bobcats. I mean, most people thought we would lose to GSU, then everyone thought Cal Poly would wreck shop after their upset in Missoula, and now I think most are going with UNI simply because we're new. We may not be a traditional power or anything, but we've done nothing but rise to the challenge all year long.

We have been told by most (not all) that we would get smoked every week. First it was "E2" and how they were going to crush us because we had never "NEVER" seen an offense like that. Well, we hadn't. That was the best offense we had ever seen, but we won. Then the "purple pussies" were going to have to leave the dome and go out in the cold (which was going to be real tough cause all our kids grew up in Arizona "sarcasim") and play the best quarterback ever! Santos was good, but he was not even close to Eric Meyer from EWU, maybe in a couple of years, people predicted up to a 48 point loss for the panthers (with the exception of a few who said we would get beat by a 1,000) and we found a way to win. As much as I was hoping for a Cal Poly win yesterday to try to get back to the UNI-Dome they just looked like a High School team, eliminate a couple of mistakes by TSU that game is a blow out, your quarterback is good, dam good, scary good. He might show us a thing or two about getting out of the pocket and running, i'm not scared though, not one bit, we can win this game, but so can you, don't let anyone tell you any different, just cheer on your team and we will see who gets to Chattanooga. Good Luck to the Bobcats!

FlyYtown
December 4th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Paladins!

yosefcity
December 4th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Furman will not be National Champs. Assuming they get past ASU (at KBS) which is no small task, I think UNI or Texas State will take them behind the shed.

OL FU
December 4th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Furman will not be National Champs. Assuming they get past ASU (at KBS) which is no small task, I think UNI or Texas State will take them behind the shed.

:confused: You had better hope not. Because if it can happen to Furman it can happen to ASU

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 4th, 2005, 01:20 PM
I think all four teams have a reasonable shot at winning it all, but Appalachian has the best shot, so I am going with them.

youwouldno
December 4th, 2005, 01:39 PM
App fans 'predicted' Furman would lose against Nicholls and then against Richmond. Now they predict Furman loses to App and pre-predict a NC loss should the Paladins win.

Consistency is worth something; they will have been wrong 4 out of 4 times.

Purple Knight
December 4th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Furman is the sleeper here. They have the talent. If they let the defense be aggressive and the offense unpredictable/spread the field, they could do it. If the DBs continue to watch the QB, there will be plenty of open receivers.

Appstate03
December 4th, 2005, 02:01 PM
App fans 'predicted' Furman would lose against Nicholls and then against Richmond. Now they predict Furman loses to App and pre-predict a NC loss should the Paladins win.

Because one person predicts Furman will lose IF they make it to the NC, then all do. Thats one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard.

OL FU
December 4th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Because one person predicts Furman will lose IF they make it to the NC, then all do. Thats one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard.

No actually the post that started the one you are referring to was much more ridiculous. But you are correct, with one fan saying something. Any fan that has paid attention to this series, knows how tough and probably close the game will be. If they say anything thing else then it is either smack or homerism.

youwouldno
December 4th, 2005, 02:42 PM
App fans have been downplaying Furman since we beat them, all the more so during the playoffs. It's pretty silly.

GoGSU
December 4th, 2005, 03:13 PM
App beats Vermin 38 - 21
App beats UNI in NC 27 - 24

App wins '05 NC

blackfordpu
December 4th, 2005, 03:32 PM
I am going to put my pride aside here and say Texas State. I have gone against them in each of their playoff games because I didn't think they could get it done. They have proven me wrong each time so I am going to say they continue their trend and finish it off.

Bobcat94
December 4th, 2005, 03:39 PM
I am going to put my pride aside here and say Texas State. I have gone against them in each of their playoff games because I didn't think they could get it done. They have proven me wrong each time so I am going to say they continue their trend and finish it off.
:eek:

Thanks! I think! I'd almost rather you pick someone else and closetly cheer for the 'Cats...... :)

Cincy App
December 4th, 2005, 03:49 PM

Well, this App fan was right 4 out of 4 times yesterday (see the "quarterfinal picks" thread) and predicted an FU win over NSU in round 1. Several Furman fans predicted an SIU win yesterday. So what.

Most App fans I know were expecting to see another ASU-FU showdown. Wish it was in Chattanooga but at least one of us will make it there. Any ASU or Furman fans can deny it if they wish but it should be another nailbiter. I think ASU has played slightly better than FU over this season and the game will be in Boone. But again, no team with a QB like Williams or Martin can be counted out.

Go Black and Gold!!

catamount man
December 4th, 2005, 03:55 PM
As much as I want to see a SoCon team win it all, I think Texas State will eventually win it. Just my opinion, but I am hoping a SoCon team wins it all. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Cincy App
December 4th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Furman is the sleeper here. They have the talent. If they let the defense be aggressive and the offense unpredictable/spread the field, they could do it. If the DBs continue to watch the QB, there will be plenty of open receivers.

I wouldn't consider Furman as a sleeper. I would agree that both ASU and Furman need to play more aggressively on defense than they did in October. You can't just sit back on D and let Williams or Martin pick you apart.

asu70
December 4th, 2005, 04:09 PM

I don't think all App fans or most App fans have been predicting FU would lose. Just because I've read that a few FU fans thought that App would be gone in the playoff by now doesn't mean that all FU fans think that way. As a matter of fact, I think that FU should have been seeded in place of Hampton and that FU has been a top four 1aa team all year!

JohnStOnge
December 5th, 2005, 08:26 AM
I started off thinking App State based on having watched them against LSU. I had some second thoughts after the difficulty they had with Lafayette. But yesterday I got a chance to watch a replay of their game with Southern Illinois and once again saw how good their overall athleticism is. And I got to see their quarterback throw the ball against a I-AA secondary. I'd already seen that LSU couldn't sack him.

So, though I'm pulling for Texas State, I'm picking App State.

Ivytalk
December 5th, 2005, 08:35 AM
My heart says Furman, but my head says App State. Gotta go with the head! ;)

OL FU
December 5th, 2005, 08:46 AM
Well, this App fan was right 4 out of 4 times yesterday (see the "quarterfinal picks" thread) and predicted an FU win over NSU in round 1. Several Furman fans predicted an SIU win yesterday. So what.

Most App fans I know were expecting to see another ASU-FU showdown. Wish it was in Chattanooga but at least one of us will make it there. Any ASU or Furman fans can deny it if they wish but it should be another nailbiter. I think ASU has played slightly better than FU over this season and the game will be in Boone. But again, no team with a QB like Williams or Martin can be counted out.

Go Black and Gold!!

Agreed except that I would change "better" to played better taking in to account consistancy.. And yes if it's ASU at Chatty, then I am a Mountaineer for a day. But not until then, oh no no no. :D

OL FU
December 5th, 2005, 08:48 AM
My heart says Furman, but my head says App State. Gotta go with the head! ;)

You gotta have heart :)

FU97
December 5th, 2005, 09:04 AM

I tend to disagree. Furman can play with anyteam that is left in 1-AA. Noone will "take them behind the shed". Heck if that's the case, ASU better get ready to go behind the shed since Furman already beat ASU once.

AppGuy04
December 5th, 2005, 09:30 AM
I tend to disagree. Furman can play with anyteam that is left in 1-AA. Noone will "take them behind the shed". Heck if that's the case, ASU better get ready to go behind the shed since Furman already beat ASU once.

if we win this one, that first win won't mean jack, gotta love it

OL FU
December 5th, 2005, 09:49 AM
if we win this one, that first win won't mean jack, gotta love it

And if you don't it will mean the world :D

AppGuy04
December 5th, 2005, 09:55 AM
And if you don't it will mean the world :D

not really, you guys have been to the NC, we haven't

the world to you would be to win another NC, not lose in the NC

OL FU
December 5th, 2005, 09:57 AM
not really, you guys have been to the NC, we haven't

the world to you would be to win another NC, not lose in the NC

Come on 04, you want to get there and you gotta win to do

AppGuy04
December 5th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Come on 04, you want to get there and you gotta win to do

just give it to us, we deserve it more, please please please :p

OL FU
December 5th, 2005, 10:08 AM

:nod: xlolx

FU97
December 5th, 2005, 10:43 AM

You're so scared your now just begging for us to just let you win? :smiley_wi xlolx :nod:

AppGuy04
December 5th, 2005, 11:19 AM
You're so scared your now just begging for us to just let you win? :smiley_wi xlolx :nod:

we ain't skeered, just messin :nod:

MarkCCU
December 5th, 2005, 12:18 PM
UNI

primetime21
December 5th, 2005, 02:38 PM

You are seeded and we are the underdogs!! What's this "oh poor me" stuff??!!

matfu
December 5th, 2005, 05:14 PM

after we beat you all in boone (and twice this year) i hope that will help quiet all the folks in boone. i do congratulate you guys on beating ga southern, winning the conference rings and losing to lsu only 24-0. an impressive season!

DaBears
December 5th, 2005, 06:59 PM
ASU because they're hot hot hot

ASUMountaineer
December 5th, 2005, 07:55 PM

I'm an App fan and I predicted Furman to win against both Nicholls St. and Richmond. Mainly because it's such a great rivalry and will be an awesome game to be in Boone for. But, also because Richmond was overrated and Furman plays like Alabama did earlier in the year, not by overpowering, but by outlasting. It's going to be a good game, with the winner probably being the favorite in the NC.

ASUMountaineer
December 5th, 2005, 08:02 PM
ASU because they're hot hot hot
Haven't heard that one before...clever. But, funny as well. ;)

skinny_uncle
December 5th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Furman is the only team left who has won a title before. UNI has been in the playoffs 11 times without a title, so my heart is with them. My gut keeps telling me Appalachian State. I'm not sure what to think about Texas State. I've tried all my tried and true methods to pick a winner. I've flipped coins. I've drawn names from a hat. I've put the names on a roulette wheel and spun it. I've put the names on a dartboard and threw a dart. I even put the names on a roulette wheel, spun it and threw a dart. We all know that these are the ways people make executive decisions every day. Each method game me a different answer and now that I am totally confused (and maybe you are too) I am going to go with my gut and pick Appalachian State. There. That's settled (maybe). Stay tuned. I may change my mind by Saturday.
:dizzy:

Chi Panther
December 5th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Furman is the only team left who has won a title before. UNI has been in the playoffs 11 times without a title, so my heart is with them. My gut keeps telling me Appalachian State. I'm not sure what to think about Texas State. I've tried all my tried and true methods to pick a winner. I've flipped coins. I've drawn names from a hat. I've put the names on a roulette wheel and spun it. I've put the names on a dartboard and threw a dart. I even put the names on a roulette wheel, spun it and threw a dart. We all know that these are the ways people make executive decisions every day. Each method game me a different answer and now that I am totally confused (and maybe you are too) I am going to go with my gut and pick Appalachian State. There. That's settled (maybe). Stay tuned. I may change my mind by Saturday.

Damn skinny....go with your heart my friend.....go with your heart......

skinny_uncle
December 5th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Damn skinny....go with your heart my friend.....go with your heart......
Okay. UNI then ( I think).

colgate13
December 5th, 2005, 09:49 PM
I'm rooting for Furman - you gotta pull for the only private school to ever win the NC; especially a small liberal arts college like my alma mater.

I won't be unhappy if any other team wins because it will be their first. If not Furman, than UNI would be nice. They've been a great team for a long time that just doesn't have that final piece of hardware - same could be said of App too, but the Cap'n is just so persuasive...

nlwwln
December 5th, 2005, 11:11 PM
appstate

Purple Knight
December 5th, 2005, 11:16 PM
We get no respect. No respect.

TxSt02
December 5th, 2005, 11:21 PM
since i am leading the official ASG playoff pool you should all follow my lead and pick the Bobcats of Texas State defeating App State...

HiHiYikas
December 5th, 2005, 11:22 PM
[QUOTE=skinny_uncle]UNI has been in the playoffs 11 times without a title, so my heart is with themQUOTE]

App State has been in the playoffs 12 times (13 now) without a title. So you can back us with your heart AND gut.

I guess ASU-UNI would be a good story for the National Championship game. 24 appearances, and 1 will finally win it all.

HiHiYikas
December 5th, 2005, 11:23 PM
[QUOTE=skinny_uncle]UNI has been in the playoffs 11 times without a title, so my heart is with themQUOTE]

App State has been in the playoffs 12 times (13 now) without a title. So you can back us with your heart AND gut.

I guess ASU-UNI would be a good story for the National Championship game. 24 appearances, and 1 team finally wins it all.

HiHiYikas
December 5th, 2005, 11:24 PM
[QUOTE=skinny_uncle]UNI has been in the playoffs 11 times without a title, so my heart is with them. My gut keeps telling me Appalachian State. QUOTE]

HiHiYikas
December 5th, 2005, 11:26 PM

I guess ASU-UNI would be a good story for the National Championship game. 24 appearances, and 1 will finally win it all.

AppGuy04
December 6th, 2005, 08:10 AM
since i am leading the official ASG playoff pool you should all follow my lead and pick the Bobcats of Texas State defeating App State...

leading NOW, but not later xazzx

bandl
December 6th, 2005, 08:11 AM

Do talks of a 'curse' against ASU/UNI start up if the final is Furman/Texas State?? xlolx

AppGuy04
December 6th, 2005, 08:20 AM
Do talks of a 'curse' against ASU/UNI start up if the final is Furman/Texas State?? xlolx

OFCOURSE, everyone knows the curse of the billy goat is really a mountain goat in Boone :smiley_wi

bcrawf
December 6th, 2005, 10:17 AM
I am unfamiliar with App St's playoff history. How many semifinals? Any unfortunate luck or close calls like we had in 92?

If Kenny Shedd is healthy in 92- We beat Youngstown in the Dome and win the National Title, No Doubt in my mind!!

Griz Grunt
December 6th, 2005, 10:47 AM
From the little research i've done, have to go with App. St.. However, as has been stated in previous posts, all of the remaining teams have the talent to win the I-AA championship. Good luck and GREAT GAMES to all ! :nod:

catbob
December 6th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Carroll College

Oh you mean IAA?

Bobcats of Texas.

Saint3333
December 6th, 2005, 11:03 AM
This is ASU's third semifinal game

Lost to Marshall in 1987 by about 7 I think
Lost to Montana 19-16 in OT (2000) when Jimmy Farris made a great catch in the back of the endzone over all-american Corey Hall, it was a heartbreaker. I always wondered if ASU could've beaten GSU that year...

GoGSU
December 10th, 2005, 09:54 AM
App beats Vermin 38 - 21
App beats UNI in NC 27 - 24

App wins '05 NC

told ya so.....(uni beatin tex st)