PDA

View Full Version : St. Francis - Going Full Scholarship?

TexasTerror
June 21st, 2009, 05:08 PM
When discussing the possibility of a Penn State-St Francis matchup, a writer suggests that the NEC school is going full scholarship...

Alas, no such matchup can take place under current NCAA rules because St. Francis is not a full-scholarship participant in I-AA. The school is moving in that direction, so perhaps at some point in the future it can shoot for a game against PSU.

(Credit: http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/content.detail/id/520130.html?nav=751)

What's the deal, NEC people? Is this true? Would be nice...xnodx

UAalum72
June 21st, 2009, 05:28 PM
The only movement is the two-per-year increase for the NEC. In fact, SFUPA is usually one of the schools thought to be holding back quicker progress, for the reasons mentioned in the story - a small school that could also use a lot more cash.

DFW HOYA
June 21st, 2009, 06:07 PM
Of course, it could take place (as defending national champs Penn State hosted Brown in 1983) but Penn State would be foolish to do so now if it would cost them a BCS win.

FWIW, Penn State won, 38-21.

TexasTerror
June 21st, 2009, 06:28 PM
Of course, it could take place (as defending national champs Penn State hosted Brown in 1983) but Penn State would be foolish to do so now if it would cost them a BCS win.

Didn't Western Michigan play CCSU as of late? And we now have Georgia St set to take on Alabama...

aceinthehole
June 21st, 2009, 07:01 PM
The editorial is just some wishful thinking right now. There is no evidence or even rumor that the NEC is going to 40+ schollys anytime soon.

The NEC just lost its commissioner and the CCSU AD is retiring. Both were huge suporters of NEC football and helped secure the conference AQ. We need to make sure their replacements also have strong support for football.

IMO - the NEC is likely going to wait until 2011 before they make any other decisions on FB schollys. Every NEC team is now "scheduling up" and my guess is they will want to see the results of 2 years in the playoffs before they re-evaluate how the conference compares with the rest of FCS.

The PL decision on schollys (and their performance) in the next few years will likely have some influence on the NEC too.

I'm not as pesimistic as some NEC fans, and actually think the odds are about 50/50 that the NEC will start to allow 60 schollys (with no minimum) sometime after the 2011 season.

----
Yes, CCSU did play WMU as a "non-counter" for bowl eligibility. I do know the WMU opportunity was unique, but have been told CCSU discussed more games with other MAC schools. With some I-A teams playing 2 I-AA opponents in a season becoming more frequent, the 'non-counter' status of the opponent for the second game is moot. I would not be suprised if you saw a I-A opponent on a future CCSU or Albany schedule even if we only have 40 rides.

Seawolf97
June 21st, 2009, 07:03 PM
From the article it is more wishfull thinking than anything else. I suspect St Francis will be slow to even reach the NEC max of 40 scholarships let alone 63. Dollars are tight.

Libertine
June 21st, 2009, 07:12 PM
We played them in 2007 and they were at just over 20 scholarships then. They might be moving toward 63 but it's a glacial movement.

dgreco
June 21st, 2009, 08:15 PM
The editorial is just some wishful thinking right now. There is no evidence or even rumor that the NEC is going to 40+ schollys anytime soon.

The NEC just lost its commissioner and the CCSU AD is retiring. Both were huge suporters of NEC football and helped secure the conference AQ. We need to make sure their replacements also have strong support for football.

IMO - the NEC is likely going to wait until 2011 before they make any other decisions on FB schollys. Every NEC team is now "scheduling up" and my guess is they will want to see the results of 2 years in the playoffs before they re-evaluate how the conference compares with the rest of FCS.

The PL decision on schollys (and their performance) in the next few years will likely have some influence on the NEC too.

I'm not as pesimistic as some NEC fans, and actually think the odds are about 50/50 that the NEC will start to allow 60 schollys (with no minimum) sometime after the 2011 season.

----
Yes, CCSU did play WMU as a "non-counter" for bowl eligibility. I do know the WMU opportunity was unique, but have been told CCSU discussed more games with other MAC schools. With some I-A teams playing 2 I-AA opponents in a season becoming more frequent, the 'non-counter' status of the opponent for the second game is moot. I would not be suprised if you saw a I-A opponent on a future CCSU or Albany schedule even if we only have 40 rides.

The NE-10 going "full scholarship", by division two standards, will also have an effect on some of the schools who recruit in New England.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 22nd, 2009, 09:52 AM
Does Indiana State offer the minimum amount to count as a counter? To me, that's the biggest question (seriously) that I have. If they don't, then the thrust of the article makes 100% sense. If you're not going to schedule a counter, why not SFUPA, with local ties, would be an easy win and a local school would get the cash?

Everyone is assuming that Indiana State is offering 57 scholarships, and I am not at all sure that they are.

greenG
June 22nd, 2009, 10:39 AM
Didn't Western Michigan play CCSU as of late? And we now have Georgia St set to take on Alabama...

CCSU played Western Michigan in 2007, losing 51-14. William & Mary also showed up in Kalamazoo several years ago.

UNI Pike
June 22nd, 2009, 12:42 PM
Does Indiana State offer the minimum amount to count as a counter? To me, that's the biggest question (seriously) that I have. If they don't, then the thrust of the article makes 100% sense. If you're not going to schedule a counter, why not SFUPA, with local ties, would be an easy win and a local school would get the cash?

Everyone is assuming that Indiana State is offering 57 scholarships, and I am not at all sure that they are.

IN ST is offering, but no one is taking... xcoffeex

jimbo65
June 22nd, 2009, 01:59 PM

FWIW, Penn State won, 38-21.
Joe Paterno is a Brown grad, or coached there at one time, and I recall reading at the time that he kept the score down from the beginning.

LBPop
June 22nd, 2009, 02:02 PM
The school is moving in that direction

I live in the Washington, DC area and I just took one step to the west. I guess one could say that I am "moving in the direction" of Hawaii. I hope I get there soon.xrolleyesx