PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible??

KiddBrewer
December 3rd, 2005, 10:03 PM
With Appalachian and Furman meeting on possibly the biggest day in Appalachian State Athletics history, is it possible that with all of the storylines surrounding this game that there could be more than the 25,000 plus that saw the Western Carolina game earlier this year??? :rolleyes:

ASU Kep
December 3rd, 2005, 10:05 PM
I hope so. THE ASU ALUMNI NEED TO COME BACK! The students are there strong as ever. THIS GAME IS 100,000,000,000 times more important that the WCU game. Get your asses to the Rock! :D

Appstate03
December 3rd, 2005, 10:07 PM
Its possible, but who knows. Forecast now calls for another really cold game. So that will keep away those fairweathers again. Furman however should bring numbers in the thousands

LarryBoy
December 3rd, 2005, 10:10 PM
FUSAB (Student Activities Board) paid for 180ish students to go to the Richmond game, providing buses and everything. I expect that effort to be increased severalfold, so I wouldn't be surprised if a few hundred of the faithful students to head up to Boone.

This will be my first trip to Boone. It's going to be some kind of electric.

matfu
December 3rd, 2005, 10:52 PM
don't exams at furman start this wednesday and end monday??? would think that would keep many from going to boone.

FUPaladin63
December 3rd, 2005, 11:19 PM
don't exams at furman start this wednesday and end monday??? would think that would keep many from going to boone.

So what??? Students who have exams on Monday can take their notes with them on the bus and study during the trip with ear muffs to shut out the noise....and at halftime....and all day Sunday! Most Furman students have photogenic memories anyway and don't need to do that much studying! They surely will know a football game is more important!
I remember when I was in a town play the night before an exam. I studied during the whole night backstage after I had done my parts...and still aced the exam!
I personally have never been to Boone, N.C. but I do plan on being there this time! GO PALADINS! :)

GSUISBACK
December 3rd, 2005, 11:22 PM
How far apart are FU and Appst

ronpayne
December 3rd, 2005, 11:25 PM
I predict Sellout! I just think this is a better game then App vs Texas State for the champ. will be! I was wrong about attendance last week, but then again, I think that 11k in freezing rain is pretty dang good, so barring really really nutty weather (which, this is Boone we are talking about here....) we should have a big crowd!

I haven't been able to get to a playoff game due to teaching obligations, but I have tickets for this one already!

Yay Band!

PantherMan
December 3rd, 2005, 11:30 PM
Its possible, but who knows. Forecast now calls for another really cold game. So that will keep away those fairweathers again. Furman however should bring numbers in the thousands

Who needs the fairweather fans anyways? I would rather have a couple hundred obnoxious loud, dedicated fans than thousands that sit on their hands all day... :hurray:

HiHiYikas
December 3rd, 2005, 11:35 PM
With Appalachian and Furman meeting on possibly the biggest day in Appalachian State Athletics history, is it possible that with all of the storylines surrounding this game that there could be more than the 25,000 plus that saw the Western Carolina game earlier this year??? :rolleyes:

I am curious about how this weekend's game compares to the 1987 Semi-final between ASU and Marshall. That, too was an intense rivalry and an all-SoCon semifinal.

14,621 in the stands that day - biggest home playoff crowd in ASU history. It looks like, even when the games are huge, the fans at KBS are few in number.

Can we outdo our biggest playoff crowd by a full 10,000? That would be pretty incredible.

HiHiYikas
December 3rd, 2005, 11:38 PM
How far apart are FU and Appst

About 160 miles - a little more than a 3-hour drive.

JSU Fan
December 3rd, 2005, 11:39 PM
Most Furman students have photogenic memories anyway and don't need to do that much studying!

Did you mean photographic or do they really have pretty brains?

:smiley_wi

Out.

griz37
December 3rd, 2005, 11:55 PM
From the looks of your crowd today you should worry more about getting 10,000 there. :smiley_wi

LarryBoy
December 4th, 2005, 12:06 AM

Exams start Friday, and end the following Wednesday. Most people have exams on Friday (2 out of my 3 are....sheesh), and will be looking for a break on Saturday. I'm not expecting all 2,600 to come, but I comfortably predict a couple hundred.

Uncle Buck
December 4th, 2005, 08:36 AM
From the looks of your crowd today you should worry more about getting 10,000 there. :smiley_wi

Griz,
I was thinking the same thing. When I turned the game on I was expecting one of the bigger crowds to see a 1AA game, but it looked a lot emptier than the 23K someone mentioned that would be there. I would imagine that a game this deep in the playoffs with Furman should draw 20K, what a great atmosphere that would create.

Tealblood
December 4th, 2005, 11:15 AM
What is App's school sched are the students still going to be here by the weekend. I know at CCU this week is exam week with Graduation on Saturday. This in my opinion is the one problem with ATT during the playoffs 1st you have Thanksgiving then exams and gone.

Tealblood
December 4th, 2005, 11:17 AM
In response to what I just said I know that there is nothing to be done about it

Tealblood
December 4th, 2005, 11:23 AM
It is the same only worse during Baseball season when most schools regular season doesn't end before school is out

appst89
December 4th, 2005, 11:39 AM

If the weather cooperates, 23,000+ is possible. Looking at the forecast, though, I don't think it's likely. I'd say 14,000 for Saturday's game.

windwalker
December 4th, 2005, 12:13 PM
I had to laugh yesterday, when the TV cameras took a shot of the hill behind the end zone, and the three die hard fans were all by themselves on the blanket. It looked like quite a few fans left early, because the stands were a lot more full early in the game.
How many SIU fans made it to Boone???

Appstate03
December 4th, 2005, 12:30 PM
I had to laugh yesterday, when the TV cameras took a shot of the hill behind the end zone, and the three die hard fans were all by themselves on the blanket. It looked like quite a few fans left early, because the stands were a lot more full early in the game.
How many SIU fans made it to Boone???

There were about 30 SIU fans there. And a lot of people did leave at halftime because it really started to rain then, and the game looked like it would not be close. Most of the people that stayed though stayed till about 10 minutes in the 4th quarter

KiddBrewer
December 4th, 2005, 12:40 PM
If the weather cooperates, 23,000+ is possible. Looking at the forecast, though, I don't think it's likely. I'd say 14,000 for Saturday's game.

The forecast so far is calling for it to be cold, but clear. if people cant weather the cold without the presence of rain or snow then they prolly dont want to be there anyway

matfu
December 4th, 2005, 05:12 PM
with exams at furman being friday thru wednesday, including two exam slots on saturday, i would expect a very small student turnout. bad timinng. oh well.

FU97
December 4th, 2005, 05:17 PM
with exams at furman being friday thru wednesday, including two exam slots on saturday, i would expect a very small student turnout. bad timinng. oh well.

Hopefully the administration will postpone Saturday's exams til Sunday. Which two class time slots have exams on Saturday?

texcap
December 4th, 2005, 05:33 PM
What is App's school sched are the students still going to be here by the weekend. I know at CCU this week is exam week with Graduation on Saturday. This in my opinion is the one problem with ATT during the playoffs 1st you have Thanksgiving then exams and gone.

App's final exams start on Thursday (12/8) and go through Wednesday (12/14), so most of the students will be on campus. There are no exams scheduled for Saturday and Sunday, but graduation is scheduled for 1:00pm on Saturday.

AppDawg
December 4th, 2005, 05:57 PM
I will be surprised if the crowd on Saturday vs. Furman is a sellout, for that matter much more than the 11,000 we had yesterday (though Furman will travel well). I wish and I hope it will be a sellout, but Graduation is at 1pm in the Convocation Center. Unless the time of graduation is changed, which I don't foresee, the attendance number will take a significant hit. Another note: Exams are scheduled for Thursday, Friday, Monday, Tuesday, & Wednesday. There are not any exams on Saturday.

I hope I am proved wrong.

GO APPS! FIGHT APPS! WIN APPS!

ASU Kep
December 4th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Graduation will be changed. Richie is set to walk @ one. That'd be one helluva long timeout.

HiHiYikas
December 4th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Richie can either:

1) Go to graduation, endure a painfully long speech, wait 45 minutes to walk up for a slip of paper that isn't really a diploma, and get a BS in Graphic Arts diploma mailed to him a few weeks later. . .

OR

2) Skip graduation to play QB against Furman in the NCAA I-AA semifinals.

I did the #1 part back in 2001. If I had been given the choice between #1 and #2, I wouldn't have chosen #1.

soweagle
December 4th, 2005, 06:50 PM
How do you have graduation before exams are over?

Cocky
December 4th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Since it's the playoffs and everyone has to pay for their tickets, I say 12,250.

HiHiYikas
December 4th, 2005, 07:01 PM
How do you have graduation before exams are over?

It goes back to what I said about the slip of paper not being a diploma. Anyone in Boone on commencement day who has a black cap and gown and can write their own name on a slip of paper can go the the Holmes center and walk.

The diploma comes later, when it's been confirmed by the University that all the requirements have been met. Appalachian does graduation this way, and I'm not aware of too many others who do likewise.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=984&stc=1

matfu
December 4th, 2005, 07:15 PM
Hopefully the administration will postpone Saturday's exams til Sunday. Which two class time slots have exams on Saturday?

don't know since i am not a furman student. just talked to a furman student at church today to get the above info.