PDA

View Full Version : SOCON preview

DLS
June 19th, 2009, 08:56 AM
http://www.southernpigskin.com/index.php/site/2009_socon_preview/

this thread was deleted the first time. reposting.

PaladinFan
June 19th, 2009, 09:07 AM
I still don't understand how Elon is a "lock" to do anything.

DLS
June 19th, 2009, 09:30 AM
well going by the ags polls, people are generally putting wofford or elon as the 2 and 3 behind app and wofford definitely has some bigger question marks on their offense than elon does.

most other pulblications are putting elon ahead of wofford so i would think elon pretty much is a lock for #2. And, when the coaches poll comes out i think we are going to see the only other school to get a 1st place vote besides App will be elon

LarryBoy
June 19th, 2009, 09:34 AM
I'm pretty sure he just tacked on the Forcier snippet to Furman, without doing any reevaluation about the potential that he (or Maples) may bring.

wcucat85
June 19th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Western finishes 5th at worst...............BET ON IT...AND WILL UPSET A TOP TIER TEAM THIS YEAR....................BET ON IT!!

biggie
June 19th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Western finishes 5th at worst...............BET ON IT...AND WILL UPSET A TOP TIER TEAM THIS YEAR....................BET ON IT!!

Expect a lot of "how much?" replies.

smallcollegefbfan
June 19th, 2009, 10:03 AM
well going by the ags polls, people are generally putting wofford or elon as the 2 and 3 behind app and wofford definitely has some bigger question marks on their offense than elon does.

most other publications are putting elon ahead of wofford so i would think elon pretty much is a lock for #2. And, when the coaches poll comes out i think we are going to see the only other school to get a 1st place vote besides App will be elon

Anyone thought about how good the SoCon could be in 2010? If Presley is as good as he showed against WCU then ASU will be a top 5 team again. Furman will have most of their OL back and has a lot of potential young stars like Forcier and Steed who could make this team very good with a solid QB. Wofford and GSU should be top 10 teams with all of the young players they return in '10. Samford is improving and will likely be a solid contender. WCU is improving and should be a top 6 team as well. The league is going to be very scary and really tough to predict in 2010. I am sure the media will give ASU the nod, as long as they win it this year, but you could possibly make arguments for 3 or 4 others teams in '10.

DLS
June 19th, 2009, 10:07 AM

WHY ARE YOU YELLING AND USING " .................." ALL THE TIME?!!!

wcucat85
June 19th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Western was 3-9 last year and if they knew how to close and win could have easily been 7-5,but KENT BRIGGS left this group without confidence and down trodden....Coach Wagner has kicked 33 players off the team since he arrived.He played freshman all over the field last year and had a excellent recruiting class to boot.

There is a reckoning coming

wcucat85
June 19th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Sorry did not mean to yell

wcucat85
June 19th, 2009, 10:17 AM
DLS you have to understand as someone who played at Western in the early 80's and we were always near the top and all I would like to see us at least knocking on the door again soon.

DLS
June 19th, 2009, 10:25 AM
i dont think i've heard one bad thing ever said about Wagner. They brought him in to change things up and he's doing just that. i definitely feel this is an important year for him as western should start to see signs of improvement from said changes.

blueballs
June 19th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I'm pretty sure he just tacked on the Forcier snippet to Furman, without doing any reevaluation about the potential that he (or Maples) may bring.

Has Forcier played one snap in a game yet? I'm not trying to be smart because honestly I don't know... if not I wouldn't count on a thing out of him in 2009 with a 5th year senior ahead of him. If he does beat out the fith year senior and he is a rookie as I suspect look for a turnover fest and a lot of frustration- kinda like what Henton brought to GSU last year.

I would imagine Maples will be more of an impact player for the purps this year than Forcier... as well as the receiver FU has returning from the knee injury.

smallcollegefbfan
June 19th, 2009, 10:59 AM
i dont think i've heard one bad thing ever said about Wagner. They brought him in to change things up and he's doing just that. i definitely feel this is an important year for him as western should start to see signs of improvement from said changes.

I fully expect WCU to win 5 games or more this year. Just tough to predict who they beat with a deep SoCon. Anything less than 5 wins with all of the players they have back would seem to be disappointing in their eyes and I agree. They should be a contender for a SoCon title within the next 2 years or so.

Apps03
June 19th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Western was 3-9 last year and if they knew how to close and win could have easily been 7-5,but KENT BRIGGS left this group without confidence and down trodden....Coach Wagner has kicked 33 players off the team since he arrived.He played freshman all over the field last year and had a excellent recruiting class to boot.

There is a reckoning coming

I don't pretend to understand the APR and the rules surrounding it and certainly don't have time to look it up at this point but how would this affect Western's APR status over the next couple of years. What little I think I understand would say this is bad news for Western. Can anyone help me understand this a little more as it relates to Western's situation?

PaladinFan
June 19th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Has Forcier played one snap in a game yet? I'm not trying to be smart because honestly I don't know... if not I wouldn't count on a thing out of him in 2009 with a 5th year senior ahead of him. If he does beat out the fith year senior and he is a rookie as I suspect look for a turnover fest and a lot of frustration- kinda like what Henton brought to GSU last year.

I would imagine Maples will be more of an impact player for the purps this year than Forcier... as well as the receiver FU has returning from the knee injury.

Maples is debatably a bigger addition than Forcier. You're talking about the guy who set Furman's record for receptions by a freshman last year as the #4 or #5 receiver (Hendrix). That is some kind of depth.

Forcier may not start, but I expect he'll see the field a lot. I just have a hard time believing that Lamb would keep a 6'3 quarterback with 4.4 speed sitting on the sideline. At the very least Furman will use two quarterbacks and have Forcier come in to run the option.

I too think Western will upset someone. They may pull an upset, but on paper they aren't in the top 5 teams.

appfan2008
June 19th, 2009, 11:27 AM

upset a top tier team? very possible... finish in top 5? NOT LIKELY AT ALL

fuEMO
June 19th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Maples is debatably a bigger addition than Forcier. You're talking about the guy who set Furman's record for receptions by a freshman last year as the #4 or #5 receiver (Hendrix). That is some kind of depth.

Forcier may not start, but I expect he'll see the field a lot. I just have a hard time believing that Lamb would keep a 6'3 quarterback with 4.4 speed sitting on the sideline. At the very least Furman will use two quarterbacks and have Forcier come in to run the option.

I too think Western will upset someone. They may pull an upset, but on paper they aren't in the top 5 teams.

I agree with PaladinFan. Maples is the probable bigger addition, his combo of size, speed, receiving and blocking skills instantly gives Furman some meat sauce to the Paladin receiver packages. I'm curious what team won't have difficulty if Furman runs a trips package: Webb, Mims, Maples or a four-wide package: Webb, Mims, Maples, Hendrix or Cunningham?

Forcier has the luxury of time because Sorrells is a very high quality underrated 5th year QB. All Frocier has to do is be effective as an option on 10-15 plays a game and that could make a big difference for Furman in 09.

Dinman31
June 19th, 2009, 01:10 PM

Forcier took snaps last year against Stanford, Cal and Arizona State. Threw his first TD versus Cal.

gophoenix
June 19th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I still don't understand how Elon is a "lock" to do anything.

They aren't a lock. But really, no one else is either.

wcucat85
June 19th, 2009, 02:58 PM
I think Elon is a lock.Iam a former player at Western and on vacation at home ...too hot for yard work this far south in Georgia today,but I feel Elon with Riddle and Hudgins are great.That Lembo guy is a darn good coach as well

phoenix3
June 19th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I don't think Elon is a lock for #2. I don't think App is a lock for #1. Parity will be the buzz word for the SoCon in '09. After 3 years and a couple of injuries, the SoCon opponents will figure out AE this season if he doesn't present a new dimension. In the past his style was in your face, try and stop me. If that is his style this year, the opponents will, MMW.

By the same token, Riddle will need to be much more elusive and Hudgins will need to prove he can fake, block and do more with the ball after the reception. On the Elon side, Lembo has shown significantly different offenses and defenses every year he's been here. I can't wait to see what'll happen in '09.

There are 5 teams that should be in the mix for the championship. Who will knock who off? Who will be the spoiler? Promises to be a thriller of a season.

gophoenix
June 19th, 2009, 11:49 PM
I don't think Elon is a lock for #2. I don't think App is a lock for #1. Parity will be the buzz word for the SoCon in '09. After 3 years and a couple of injuries, the SoCon opponents will figure out AE this season if he doesn't present a new dimension. In the past his style was in your face, try and stop me. If that is his style this year, the opponents will, MMW.

By the same token, Riddle will need to be much more elusive and Hudgins will need to prove he can fake, block and do more with the ball after the reception. On the Elon side, Lembo has shown significantly different offenses and defenses every year he's been here. I can't wait to see what'll happen in '09.

There are 5 teams that should be in the mix for the championship. Who will knock who off? Who will be the spoiler? Promises to be a thriller of a season.

My concern is, if parity is the key word, it is entirely possible the SoCon is a one bid league when all is said and done.

Saint3333
June 20th, 2009, 06:38 AM
While I agree ASU is not a lock to win the SoCon, I'm confused about your rationale. Figure out AE? You make it sound like ASU is one dimensional. ASU will have more weapons on offense than ever before. Watch for Brian Quick to have a break out year, the kid has only played 3 years of organized football and is improving rapidly.

My concern is more likely the interior of the defensive and offensive lines.

phoenix3
June 20th, 2009, 07:35 AM
While I agree ASU is not a lock to win the SoCon, I'm confused about your rationale. Figure out AE? You make it sound like ASU is one dimensional. ASU will have more weapons on offense than ever before. Watch for Brian Quick to have a break out year, the kid has only played 3 years of organized football and is improving rapidly.

My concern is more likely the interior of the defensive and offensive lines.

I don't disagree. I guess what I meant was that the tuck and run for AE won't be as effective as in the past. He'll have to use those other weapons more. I'm certainly not saying App isn't the favorite, just not a lock.

Saint3333
June 20th, 2009, 07:54 AM
That happened last year when AE passed for 2,900 yards and only ran for 950 yards. His passing was a "weak" spot according to some going into 2008, teams defended his run so he adjusted. If the offensive line can give the ASU playmakers time and space they have 3-4 guys that can take it the distance every play. Hopefully the defensive line play will look more like the 2006 team then the 2008 squad, line play will be the key.

PaladinFan
June 20th, 2009, 08:07 AM
I agree with PaladinFan. Maples is the probable bigger addition, his combo of size, speed, receiving and blocking skills instantly gives Furman some meat sauce to the Paladin receiver packages. I'm curious what team won't have difficulty if Furman runs a trips package: Webb, Mims, Maples or a four-wide package: Webb, Mims, Maples, Hendrix or Cunningham?

Forcier has the luxury of time because Sorrells is a very high quality underrated 5th year QB. All Frocier has to do is be effective as an option on 10-15 plays a game and that could make a big difference for Furman in 09.

I mentioned to a buddy of mine that Maples reminds me of a taller Patrick Sprague...a big bodied receiver that plays will lay as many licks on defensive players as he will catch passes.

My hope for the Paladins though is going to be getting the running game back to form. I think Forcier certainly helps us there. Sorrells is not a threat to run, but putting Forcier in the formation certainly will force teams to step and and defend the option. Lamb loves the option and our offense was incredibly efficient running it with Gray at the helm two years ago. If the running game works, we have the talent at reciever to break some big plays.

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 20th, 2009, 02:45 PM
I mentioned to a buddy of mine that Maples reminds me of a taller Patrick Sprague...a big bodied receiver that plays will lay as many licks on defensive players as he will catch passes.

My hope for the Paladins though is going to be getting the running game back to form. I think Forcier certainly helps us there. Sorrells is not a threat to run, but putting Forcier in the formation certainly will force teams to step and and defend the option. Lamb loves the option and our offense was incredibly efficient running it with Gray at the helm two years ago. If the running game works, we have the talent at reciever to break some big plays.

I think I've said this before already, but I think this is the best group of SoCon receivers that I have ever seen. The SoCon secondary coaches are in for a long season between dealing with Roberts, Hudgins, Quick, Hillary, Pittman, Maples, Mims, Lowery...and you can bet your boots GSU will rack up some passing yards and have at least 1 WR that is as good as the top WR's in the conference.

OL FU
June 20th, 2009, 03:05 PM

I actually wondered if that didn't move us up to fourth. In my opinion, we could finish any where from 2nd to 6th but even with Wofford's player losses I have a difficult time making a prediction putting us above the Terriers with taking into. consideration the transfers. xtwocentsx

and even then I think we are still kind of the great unknown.

PaladinFan
June 20th, 2009, 03:22 PM
I think I've said this before already, but I think this is the best group of SoCon receivers that I have ever seen. The SoCon secondary coaches are in for a long season between dealing with Roberts, Hudgins, Quick, Hillary, Pittman, Maples, Mims, Lowery...and you can bet your boots GSU will rack up some passing yards and have at least 1 WR that is as good as the top WR's in the conference.

I think the skill level is incredible at that position in the conference. I really hope that Webb gets the opportunity to show the conference what he can do.

Saint3333
June 20th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Didn't Moss and TO play at least one year together in the SoCon?

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 20th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Didn't Moss and TO play at least one year together in the SoCon?

TO's last season of college was 1995, and Moss was in his RS year at FSU that season.

Even if they were both playing in the SoCon, I'm really speaking beyond the top two receivers in the league.

ASUMountaineer
June 21st, 2009, 07:13 AM

YOU SAID "BUZZ!" Go ASU! Sorry continue. xlolx

ASUMountaineer
June 21st, 2009, 07:24 AM
I wouldn't say ASU is a lock, but in all honesty (moving bias aside), they are the obvious PRESEASON pick for #1. With that said, I would probably place Eloan at #2, based on last year and their returning players. Beyond those two it gets tougher.

The Woff will be a popular pick at #3, but that's mostly from last year and unknowns of new personnel changes on other SoCon teams. I could see Vermin stepping up and playing better this year, and the same for the Stink. Sammy was a surprise last year, they could improve and build on that. Chatty who? West Carolina has a good coach (who should know how to pronounce Appalachian this year), and are doing things to improve--I actually hope they do--it'd be nice for it to really be a "rivalry." The Bellhops...err...C(h)itdal, I think will have a drop off this year. It's always hard to replace a solid QB.

If pressed, here would be my picks. Though the only guarantee I offer is to do precision guesswork.

1. Appalachian
2. Elon
3. Wofford
4. Furman
5. Georgia Southern
6. Furman
7. Western Carolina
8. The Citadel
9. Chattanooga

BossEagle
June 21st, 2009, 08:02 AM
I wouldn't say ASU is a lock, but in all honesty (moving bias aside), they are the obvious PRESEASON pick for #1. With that said, I would probably place Eloan at #2, based on last year and their returning players. Beyond those two it gets tougher.

The Woff will be a popular pick at #3, but that's mostly from last year and unknowns of new personnel changes on other SoCon teams. I could see Vermin stepping up and playing better this year, and the same for the Stink. Sammy was a surprise last year, they could improve and build on that. Chatty who? West Carolina has a good coach (who should know how to pronounce Appalachian this year), and are doing things to improve--I actually hope they do--it'd be nice for it to really be a "rivalry." The Bellhops...err...C(h)itdal, I think will have a drop off this year. It's always hard to replace a solid QB.

If pressed, here would be my picks. Though the only guarantee I offer is to do precision guesswork.

1. Appalachian
2. Elon
3. Wofford
4. Furman
5. Georgia Southern
6. Furman
7. Western Carolina
8. The Citadel
9. Chattanooga

Ahhhh Mannn SUCKS for Samford...

SU DOG
June 21st, 2009, 11:41 AM
OHMIGOSH, it's the summer of 2008 all over again. xlolxxlolx

CrackerRiley
June 21st, 2009, 07:41 PM

1. Appalachian
2. Elon
3. Wofford
4. Furman
5. Georgia Southern
6. Furman
7. Western Carolina
8. The Citadel
9. Chattanooga

Well, that's almost exactly what I would put except... Samford replacing Furman #2

Me being a homer says that ASU is almost a lock (at least a very clear choice) because there isn't "figuring out" AE. He has started for the past 3 years so the figurin' should have came by the 2nd year. I see Quick being a HUGE weapon this year. As long as we don't look to just lob the ball down the field and hope he comes down with it TOO much, we should be okay.

PaladinFan
June 22nd, 2009, 07:05 AM
Well, that's almost exactly what I would put except... Samford replacing Furman #2

Me being a homer says that ASU is almost a lock (at least a very clear choice) because there isn't "figuring out" AE. He has started for the past 3 years so the figurin' should have came by the 2nd year. I see Quick being a HUGE weapon this year. As long as we don't look to just lob the ball down the field and hope he comes down with it TOO much, we should be okay.

No one debates App's offensive prowess. However, their defense looked suspect last year and if AE plays poorly, there's rarely other players who pick him up. If memory serves me, just about every loss the Apps have sustained the past three years have come as a direct result of Edwards being either hurt or having a bad game.

ASUG8
June 22nd, 2009, 07:38 AM
No one debates App's offensive prowess. However, their defense looked suspect last year and if AE plays poorly, there's rarely other players who pick him up. If memory serves me, just about every loss the Apps have sustained the past three years have come as a direct result of Edwards being either hurt or having a bad game.

I'd agree, except this year we'll come in with a full complement of healthy backs as well as a more confident Pressley who I suspect will see a lot of playing time this season. We have much more depth at key positions, and I'm confident our defense will step up this season. I'm not making any guarantees because they generally come back to bite me, but I like what I see in Boone right now.

CrackerRiley
June 22nd, 2009, 08:18 AM
Hopefully (for the ASU fans, at least), the running backs can stay healthy this year to help AE carry the load (no pun intended xcoolx). On defense I'm only worried about them stopping the run. That will decide most games for App. Controlling the time of possession.

Saint3333
June 22nd, 2009, 08:33 AM
Ditto, ASU has 3-4 RBs that are capable of starting as well as two very capable back-ups at QB. Expect the defense to look better as well, remember they lost two starters (DE & CB) the third game of the season and two DL that were also injuried the majority of the year in Bennett and Lewis. Having them back plus added depth from redshirts and incoming freshman and the defense should be fine. The only true loss on defense will be Banks at LB. On paper this team is deeper and more talented (although not as experienced) than the 2007 or 2008 teams at each set of positions except for the o-line.

DLS
June 22nd, 2009, 08:41 AM
Ditto, ASU has 3-4 RBs that are capable of starting as well as two very capable back-ups at QB. Expect the defense to look better as well, remember they lost two starters (DE & CB) the third game of the season and two DL that were also injuried the majority of the year in Bennett and Lewis. Having them back plus added depth from redshirts and incoming freshman and the defense should be fine. The only true loss on defense will be Banks at LB. On paper this team is deeper and more talented (although not as experienced) than the 2007 or 2008 teams at each set of positions except for the o-line.

how are they not as experienced as 2008? besides special teams i dont see how this is true.

PaladinFan
June 22nd, 2009, 08:57 AM
I'd agree, except this year we'll come in with a full complement of healthy backs as well as a more confident Pressley who I suspect will see a lot of playing time this season. We have much more depth at key positions, and I'm confident our defense will step up this season. I'm not making any guarantees because they generally come back to bite me, but I like what I see in Boone right now.

Of course. However, it just can't be overlooked that App has gone as Armanti Edwards has gone. Any time you have a player of that calibre it is tough to replace his production if he can't go. ASU seems set at skill position players. Things might get tough if there's a few injuries along the front lines as I don't think they have the depth there they've had in the past.

Saint3333
June 22nd, 2009, 10:09 AM
how are they not as experienced as 2008? besides special teams i dont see how this is true.

True that should be just the 2007 season. But there is more talent than ASU has ever seen at the skill positions on this 2009 team.

DLS
June 22nd, 2009, 10:21 AM
True that should be just the 2007 season. But there is more talent than ASU has ever seen at the skill positions on this 2009 team.

i think we are more experienced than 2007 at every position except secondary, O-line, and kicker. The depth is also light years ahead.

On paper it looks like we should be destroying every team in the league.

phoenixphanatic21
June 22nd, 2009, 10:26 AM
i think we are more experienced than 2007 at every position except secondary, O-line, and kicker. The depth is also light years ahead.

Thank god games aren't decided on paper.

DLS
June 22nd, 2009, 10:43 AM

word.

blueballs
June 22nd, 2009, 12:31 PM

They're decided on television...xsmiley_wix

ASUMountaineer
June 23rd, 2009, 07:47 AM

Yeah, that's where I intended Samford.

ASUMountaineer
June 23rd, 2009, 07:48 AM
Ahhhh Mannn SUCKS for Samford...

xlolx, yeah, Sorry Samford. I meant them in the #2 Vermin spot.

citdog
June 23rd, 2009, 08:47 AM

1. Appalachian
2. Elon
3. Wofford
4. Furman
5. Georgia Southern
6. Furman
7. Western Carolina
8. The Citadel
9. Chattanooga

WE ARE NOT REPLACING A QB......CADET BART BLANCHARD IS BACK FOR HIS SECOND CLASSMAN CAMPAIGN.......IF WE FINISH 8TH.......I'LL PICK YOUR COTTON

ASUG8
June 23rd, 2009, 08:52 AM
WE ARE NOT REPLACING A QB......CADET BART BLANCHARD IS BACK FOR HIS SECOND CLASSMAN CAMPAIGN.......IF WE FINISH 8TH.......I'LL PICK YOUR COTTON

Just pick up the car on the ticket I hand you, knob xrolleyesx

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 23rd, 2009, 08:57 AM

One thing I can tell you is that you guys are going to know what it means to have a bullseye on your chest this year more so than any other year. Elon probably fees like they should have beaten you in at least 1 of the last two years. Furman probably feels they should have beaten you in at least 1 of the last two years. And Wofford will certainly want payback too. You're going to have to face these three teams on the road, and you know Chris Hatcher is going to find a way to keep GSU in the game regardless of how good we are. And all of this in a stretch of 5 weeks.

citdog
Just pick up the car on the ticket I hand you, knob xrolleyesx

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

PaladinFan
The Citadel returns its best players, true. However, they were the same players who fell flat last year. Why will this season be different?

citdog
June 23rd, 2009, 09:01 AM
The Citadel returns its best players, true. However, they were the same players who fell flat last year. Why will this season be different?

Cadet Blanchard has a year of experience under his schmeckle and the offensive and defensive line have QUALITY DEPTH for the first time in the Higgins era. Cadet Kevin Hardy is back from injury to play on the other side of 2 time All-American Cadet Captain, company commander, Andre Roberts. If you double Cadet Roberts, Hardy will burn you.

ASUG8
June 23rd, 2009, 09:15 AM
One thing I can tell you is that you guys are going to know what it means to have a bullseye on your chest this year more so than any other year. Elon probably fees like they should have beaten you in at least 1 of the last two years. Furman probably feels they should have beaten you in at least 1 of the last two years. And Wofford will certainly want payback too. You're going to have to face these three teams on the road, and you know Chris Hatcher is going to find a way to keep GSU in the game regardless of how good we are. And all of this in a stretch of 5 weeks.

I don't disagree - App has a very tough schedule this year playing the expected top of the conference away. Furman and Elon gave us tough games at home last year, and your Eagles lost to WoCo, ASU, and Elon by a combined 4 points. I think the Eagles can AT LEAST play spoilers this year, if not find themselves well into the mix.

Reign of Terrier
June 23rd, 2009, 09:47 AM

If the Citadel scored a TD in a couple more of there games...on the top of my head they would of beaten (don't cry foul--I don't remember the scores too well): GSU and Elon and been more competitive. Had they not scheduled 2 FBS team they would have probably had a more winnable game. So really IMO they had the potential to be a 7 win team. I'll go on a limb and say they finish inside 5th. my predictions vary from one day to another so I'll say as of now that the conference to me looks like:

1. App
2a. Wofford*
2b. Elon*
4a. Samford*
4b. The Citadel*
4c Furman*
4d. GSU*
4e. Western*
9. Chatty.

*could swap with teams of the same number
Yes it is that hardxnodx

DX Man
June 23rd, 2009, 11:14 AM

It's always good to have high hopes for your favorite university, but on this board I think it's also good to try to be as realistic as possible. I think Coach Wagner is doing a great job for WCU with what he has to work with. The only question that is up in the air is; how soon will it take the administration at WCU to pull his feet out from under him?

The Cats
June 23rd, 2009, 11:29 AM
I think Coach Wagner is doing a great job for WCU with what he has to work with. The only question that is up in the air is; how soon will it take the administration at WCU to pull his feet out from under him?

Obviously, that's your wish.... it's not going to happen. And he's got more to work with than you think.

Eaglesrus
June 23rd, 2009, 12:03 PM
If the Citadel scored a TD in a couple more of there games...on the top of my head they would of beaten (don't cry foul--I don't remember the scores too well): GSU and Elon and been more competitive. Had they not scheduled 2 FBS team they would have probably had a more winnable game. So really IMO they had the potential to be a 7 win team. I'll go on a limb and say they finish inside 5th. my predictions vary from one day to another so I'll say as of now that the conference to me looks like:

1. App
2a. Wofford*
2b. Elon*
4a. Samford*
4b. The Citadel*
4c Furman*
4d. GSU*
4e. Western*
9. Chatty.

*could swap with teams of the same number
Yes it is that hardxnodx

Hey, how come Samford is 4a and we're only 4d? :)

Reign of Terrier
June 23rd, 2009, 12:08 PM
Hey, how come Samford is 4a and we're only 4d? :)

no particular order

PaladinFan
June 23rd, 2009, 12:10 PM
Obviously, that's your wish.... it's not going to happen. And he's got more to work with than you think.

I personally was impressed with WCU last season. I learned my lesson in 2005 never to take WCU for granted, especially playing in Cullowhee.

Eaglesrus
June 23rd, 2009, 12:15 PM
no particular order

Aww, come on, how can we get an argument going if that's all you come back with?

terrierbob
June 23rd, 2009, 12:33 PM
Furman will be # 3 or 4 with Forcier. I hope not at our expense.

Reign of Terrier
June 23rd, 2009, 12:55 PM
Aww, come on, how can we get an argument going if that's all you come back with?

We'll beat you:p again

Eaglesrus
June 23rd, 2009, 01:09 PM
We'll beat you:p again

You do know that our specialty now is winning away conference games, right? Besides that, Wofford's time in the limelight is done, and the terriers should have taken better advantage of it. xrotatehx

ASUG8
June 23rd, 2009, 01:11 PM
You do know that our specialty now is winning away conference games, right? Besides that, Wofford's time in the limelight is done, and the terriers should have taken better advantage of it. xrotatehx

WCU took you to the wire in Dullowhee - a win's a win, but OT with the Cats??

Eaglesrus
June 23rd, 2009, 01:36 PM

As you said, a win's a win. How great was it that we let them think they had it in the bag and start celebrating the all but assured victory, only to rip it out of their grasp and leave them stunned and dejected? I now sorta wish I hadn't left the stadium when it was 31 - 3, but I knew that we had them right where we wanted and figured the rest would be pretty anti-climactic. xsmiley_wix

Reign of Terrier
June 23rd, 2009, 01:45 PM

oh but it has only begunxshakingmadx

PaladinFan
June 23rd, 2009, 01:46 PM
Furman will be # 3 or 4 with Forcier. I hope not at our expense.

Furman has the capability to be 3 or 4 before Focier ever showed up. I think adding the option will revive the running game that was virtually non-existent last year.

The Paladins are certainly a dark horse and, IMO, very dangerous in 2009. They return most of the conference's second best defense and just added two fast playmakers on offense.

seantaylor
June 23rd, 2009, 10:10 PM
Citadel is trash. Them and UTC will finish bottom 2. GSU will win the conference. Woffie 2nd, Appy 3rd.

ASUG8
June 24th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Citadel is trash. Them and UTC will finish bottom 2. GSU will win the conference. Woffie 2nd, Appy 3rd.

See you in Boone. xthumbsupx

citdog
June 24th, 2009, 08:13 AM

IT IS BENEATH ME TO RESPOND TO THE ABOVE......I ONLY SMACK WITH MY SOCIAL EQUALS...

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 24th, 2009, 09:13 AM

Kinda reminds you of a certain 14-1 national championship team that had an overtime struggle with a 3-8 GSU team in Statesboro, doesn't it? xlolx

ASUG8
June 24th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Kinda reminds you of a certain 14-1 national championship team that had an overtime struggle with a 3-8 GSU team in Statesboro, doesn't it? xlolx

It does, and I thought of mentioning that when I posted. That 3-8 team was less than a touchdown away from being a 6-5 team. xthumbsupx

ASUMountaineer
June 24th, 2009, 03:05 PM

My mistake Citty, I confused another SC school with the bellhops--Woffy. Anyways, I'll have camera in tow ready for you to pick the cotton.

Skjellyfetti
June 24th, 2009, 03:07 PM

Who won that game?

http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo294/mrskjellyfetti/sting1.gif?t=1245874019

Has Georgia Southern really sunk so low as to be celebrating overtime losses? xlolx

Eaglesrus
June 24th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Who won that game?

http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo294/mrskjellyfetti/sting1.gif?t=1245874019

Has Georgia Southern really sunk so low as to be celebrating overtime losses? xlolx

Do you really not comprehend that it was mentioned in comparison to our game with WCU, not in celebration of a loss?

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 24th, 2009, 04:41 PM

Why would we want to celebrate an OT loss to ASU when we have these?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nUx5rFgzd0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdkjZrFo1as
xrulesx

Horseshoe App
June 24th, 2009, 05:49 PM
You know, I have been reading on this site for over 3 years now. I usually do not respond or write too many replies(as you can tell by my amount of posts), but isn't it apparent that Mr. Taylor is wrong most of the time and is impolite 95% of the time. Thank goodness almost all of the Georgia Southern fans do not attack other schools like Mr. Taylor does. I just wish Mr. Taylor would develop manners sometime in the near future

AtlantaMountaineer
June 24th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Mr. Taylor is also delusional if he thinks GSU is going to win the conference this year. LOL

CrackerRiley
June 24th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Mr. Taylor is also delusional if he thinks GSU is going to win the conference this year. LOL

GSU has 6 national championships, didn't you know that? That is why they will win SoCon this year.

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 24th, 2009, 08:46 PM

Delusional? I beg to differ. You're talking about a team that in 2008...
1. played over 20 true freshmen
2. is in the top-25 in sacks allowed for 2008 but still managed to lead the SoCon in passing and be 4th in the SoCon in total offense
3. had the third worst turnover differential in the FCS last year
4. On top of all that, finished 4-4 in the SoCon and lost to the top 3 SoCon teams by a combined total of 4 points.

The problems with the OL will be over and we won't have nearly as many true freshmen on the field. I'm not saying I'm going to put money on anyone but ASU, but considering that GSU was in the SoCon race in 2007 until the very last play of the very last SoCon game and that we will probably have the best team we have had in at least 4 or 5 years, I wouldn't call it a delusion.
xnodx

Ask your cardiologist if you are healthy enough for SoCon football, gentlemen. It's going to be a horse race.

SCPALADIN
June 24th, 2009, 09:30 PM
2. is in the top-25 in sacks allowed for 2008 but still managed to lead the SoCon in passing and be 4th in the SoCon in total offense
4. On top of all that, finished 4-4 in the SoCon and lost to the top 3 SoCon teams by a combined total of 4 points.

The problems with the OL will be over and we won't have nearly as many true freshmen on the field. I'm not saying I'm going to put money on anyone but ASU, but considering that GSU was in the SoCon race in 2007 until the very last play of the very last SoCon game and that we will probably have the best team we have had in at least 4 or 5 years, I wouldn't call it a delusion.
xnodx

Ask your cardiologist if you are healthy enough for SoCon football, gentlemen. It's going to be a horse race.

Very good argument for GSU...
I don't see how anyone can overlook GSU in 2009. I could see them finishing somewhere around 2nd or 3rd in the SoCon.

elon77
June 25th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Very good argument for GSU...
I don't see how anyone can overlook GSU in 2009. I could see them finishing somewhere around 2nd or 3rd in the SoCon.

You very well could be right SCPALADIN. They could be very dangerous.xnodx

smallcollegefbfan
June 25th, 2009, 11:21 AM

xnodx

Agreed! I think GSU will make the playoffs this year but I think ASU wins it in 2009 and GSU wins it in 2010. Then I think 2011 is going to be a heck of a battle between both schools because their QBs will be seniors and they will have a ton of talent between the two from the last two recruiting classes that will be upperclassmen.

OL FU
June 25th, 2009, 12:15 PM
You know, I have been reading on this site for over 3 years now. I usually do not respond or write too many replies(as you can tell by my amount of posts), but isn't it apparent that Mr. Taylor is wrong most of the time and is impolite 95% of the time. Thank goodness almost all of the Georgia Southern fans do not attack other schools like Mr. Taylor does. I just wish Mr. Taylor would develop manners sometime in the near future

He probably cherishes your comments:)