PDA

View Full Version : stats on playoff "rematch games"

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 3rd, 2005, 09:27 PM
In playoff "rematch games", what is the record of teams that won the regular season game? Someone want to calculate it? I'll wager it's a losing record.

I know of at least two:
in '01, GSU beat Appalachian in the regular season and beat them in the playoffs, and beat Furman in the Regular Season and lost to them in the playoffs.

JohnStOnge
December 3rd, 2005, 09:36 PM
I guess I'm obligated to say that McNeese beat Western Kentucky 38-13 during the 2002 regular season then lost to the Hilltoppers 34-14 in the championship game.

Hansel
December 3rd, 2005, 09:39 PM
Montana beat Poly during the reg season this year before losing to them in the playoffs

ChickenMan
December 3rd, 2005, 09:48 PM
In playoff "rematch games", what is the record of teams that won the regular season game? Someone want to calculate it? I'll wager it's a losing record.

I know of at least two:
in '01, GSU beat Appalachian in the regular season and beat them in the playoffs, and beat Furman in the Regular Season and lost to them in the playoffs.

UD has had two playoff rematches vs W&M and in both games the team that lost in the regular season... UD '86 and W&M '04... won the rematch in the playoffs.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2005, 09:49 PM
Marshall lost to Appalachian State 17-10 in 1987, but then unveiled a new defense and beat the No. 1 seeded Mountaineers 24-10 in the semifinals. In 2000, Troy State beat App State 34-28 in the regular season in Boone and then lost 33-30 to the Mountaineers at Troy in the first round of the playoffs.

Last year, William & Mary beat James Madison on a last-play field goal 27-24 in the regular season and then got trounced by the Dukes 48-34 in the semifinals. Delaware beat William & Mary 31-28 in the regular season, but then lost 44-38 in double overtime in the quarterfinals.

Of course, Montana beat Cal Poly in the 2005 regular season and lost the rematch in the first round. Montana had lost at Sam Houston State rather badly in the 2004 regular season and then beat the snot out of the Bearkats in Missoula in the semifinals.

LarryBoy
December 3rd, 2005, 09:51 PM
In '88, Furman lost at Marshall in the regular season, and then won at Marshall in the playoffs.

No one wants to play a team they beat in the regular season. But when we beat App earlier, there was already that scary feeling that we would see App at Boone later on.

Talk about settling it on the field.....this will be something.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 3rd, 2005, 10:10 PM
So far,

the record is 2-10, if I have added up right. Anyone got any other games?

Wins: (the team that beat the other team twice in the season is first)
GSU andAppalachian (2001)
Marshall and Furman (1996)

Losses (first team is the one that won in RS but lost in the playoffs):
Appalachian State and Marshall (1987)
Marshall and Furman (1988)
Montana and Cal Poly (2005)
William and Mary James Madison (2004)
McNeese State Western Kentucky (2002)
Delaware and William and Mary (2004)
William and Mary and Delaware (1986)
Georgia Southern and Furman (2001)
Troy State Appalacian State (2000)
Sam Houston State Montana (2004)

wow
any others?

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2005, 10:27 PM
Great thread. Maybe we'll use this in I-AA Way next week. Keep those results coming.

89Hen
December 3rd, 2005, 10:29 PM
UNI is playing UNH again tonight on ESPNU.

Appstate03
December 3rd, 2005, 10:29 PM
This time next week, it'll be 1-11 :rolleyes:

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2005, 10:31 PM
Just thought of another one:

Marshall beat Furman 42-17 in the regular season and 54-0 in the quarterfinals of the 1996 playoffs (with the Herd fans being absolute jerks to the Paladins in the playoff game). Both games were in Huntington, W.V.

matfu
December 3rd, 2005, 11:02 PM
i would think part of this is due to the fact that the teams that won in the regular season may be a little overconfident for the rematch and favored.

in the case of app state and furman, since app state is higher seeded and at home, despite furman beating them earlier, i suspect furman will have an underdog mentality (quiet confidence).

fuEMO
December 3rd, 2005, 11:14 PM
I'm just glad to be facing the Mountaineers at the Rock. I was not looking forward to making a trip to SIL.

Talk about playing lose, walking on the field after the game tonight and talking with the players. They are as lose as I have ever seen. At this point, I see this game as a toss up. APP will play tuff, Furman will play tuff.

High Noon in Boone. :hurray:

texcap
December 3rd, 2005, 11:47 PM
UNI is playing UNH again tonight on ESPNU.

I've got my money on UNI this time, but it will be close! :D

GGASU
December 3rd, 2005, 11:53 PM
At this point, I see this game as a toss up. APP will play tuff, Furman will play tuff.

High Noon in Boone. :hurray:

LOL Toss up??? That is amazing.... You are coming to Boone to face the #2 seed on the road who hasn't even come close to losing a game at home, and you are calling it a toss up.

Vegas line will be App -14 at least.

thirdgendin
December 4th, 2005, 07:35 AM
LOL Toss up??? That is amazing.... You are coming to Boone to face the #2 seed on the road who hasn't even come close to losing a game at home, and you are calling it a toss up.

Well, we did beat you in the regular season, remember?

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 4th, 2005, 08:09 AM
i would think part of this is due to the fact that the teams that won in the regular season may be a little overconfident for the rematch and favored.

in the case of app state and furman, since app state is higher seeded and at home, despite furman beating them earlier, i suspect furman will have an underdog mentality (quiet confidence).

I think it's because it keeps the team that lost in the regular season focused and makes them play harder.

You guys are in for a tough time in Boone. It is not easy to beat someone twice in a season, especially when they are a match for (if not a better team altogether) than you.

JohnStOnge
December 4th, 2005, 09:52 AM
I think the team that lost during the regular season has the advantage. We know they're both good teams because they're both in the playoffs. But the team that lost has something to "fix." It looks at the film and sees what it did wrong and comes up with a different game plan. The team that won doesn't have much to fix...especially when things really went well.

Like McNeese and Western Kentucky in 2002. What do you fix when you won 38-13? So Western Kentucky had something ready in the Championship game to address McNeese's blitz scheme and burned the Cowboys with some key big plays. Interestingly enough, WKU only had 10 first downs in that game while McNeese had 27. But swing passes to the backs in some key long yardage situations when McNeese was coming hard with all out blitzes worked like a charm and resulted in big plays and points on the board.

Bascially, if McNeese could've avoided giving up three big plays, it would've been a totally different game. But the fact that they didn't avoid it was no fluke. Western Kentucky's coaching staff knew what it was doing.

OL FU
December 4th, 2005, 01:13 PM

I think you seem to have forgot the results of the last few FU -ASU games in Boone. Yes, ASU won. But the scores would predict a toss-up.

CrunchGriz
December 4th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Another one: Montana beat Sam Houston State last year in the playoffs after losing to them during the regular season.

blackfordpu
December 4th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Sam Houston slaughtered Montana last season in the regular season then fell to them pretty hard in the semi's.

asu70
December 4th, 2005, 04:23 PM

I don't care what Vegas thinks, but I do know that our
Apps better be focused and bring their A game because App against FU is always a war! GO APPS!

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 25th, 2006, 10:04 PM
With UMASS playing New Hampshire and Youngstown State playing Illinois State, I thought I'd resurrect this year-old thread.

We forgot to count the time GSU lost to MTSU in the RS but beat them in the playoffs in 1985. We also since have not added App State losing to Furman in the regular season and beating them in the quarter finals last year.

So the record now comes to 2-12.

[EDIT] Illinois State beat EIU twice this season...

3-12
Any other games anyone can think of?

ISUMatt
November 25th, 2006, 10:07 PM
2006: ISU beats EIU 44-30
2006 PLAYOFFS: ISU beats EIU 24-13

redbirdtim
November 25th, 2006, 10:13 PM
ISU and YSU will add to the list as they play next week. How often do you get two rematches in the playoffs? ISU could potentially (but not likely) see 3...

HiHiYikas
November 25th, 2006, 10:34 PM
So the record now comes to 2-12.
Wow...

Has it been determined that 2002 WKU-McNeese was the largest point-swing in a regular-season/playoff-rematch split?

Part of me wishes that the teams ASU already beat had won today, sorta to vouch for the quality of ASU's schedule. The other part of me is glad to see ASU's rematch prospects eliminated.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 25th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Wow...

Has it been determined that 2002 WKU-McNeese was the largest point-swing in a regular-season/playoff-rematch split?

Part of me wishes that the teams ASU already beat had won today, sorta to vouch for the quality of ASU's schedule. The other part of me is glad to see ASU's rematch prospects eliminated.

I don't think it speaks too badly of your RS schedule. Everyone knows that JMU was a good team, that you thrashed Furman at home (who for the most part beat themselves today), and that Coastal was also a decent team (they beat Furman and Wofford). Also, this year's ASU squad was the first ASU squad to win in Paulson Stadium in many years. If the GSU team that played on October 21st had showed up all year, we'd be 9-2.

BigApp
November 25th, 2006, 10:59 PM
man, this is an old thread!

AZGrizFan
November 26th, 2006, 01:13 AM
So far,

the record is 2-10, if I have added up right. Anyone got any other games?

Wins: (the team that beat the other team twice in the season is first)
GSU andAppalachian (2001)
Marshall and Furman (1996)

Losses (first team is the one that won in RS but lost in the playoffs):
Appalachian State and Marshall (1987)
Marshall and Furman (1988)
Montana and Cal Poly (2005)
William and Mary James Madison (2004)
McNeese State Western Kentucky (2002)
Delaware and William and Mary (2004)
William and Mary and Delaware (1986)
Georgia Southern and Furman (2001)
Troy State Appalacian State (2000)
Sam Houston State Montana (2004)

wow
any others?

I can't believe in 14 straight playoff appearances, the Griz have only had two rematches???

I guess that doesn't bode well if we meet up with MSU in Chatty....:eek: :eek: :eek: