PDA

View Full Version : indiana state to play cincinnati, penn state

isutom
June 18th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Large paydays coming ISU football's way

Cincinnati, Penn State games will bring dollars

By Todd Golden
The Tribune-Star

TERRE HAUTE — It’s a reality every Football Championship Subdivision team has to face … the money game.

Nearly every FCS school plays at least one Football Bowl Subdivision team. The reason is twofold: the exposure of playing up against the “big” schools, but more importantly, it’s the money. The dollars made from the monetary guarantee paid out by much-wealthier FBS schools goes a long way toward sustaining FCS teams.

With that in mind, the Sycamores will play at Cincinnati in 2010 and at Penn State on Sept. 3, 2011. The prestige of playing the Bearcats and Nittany Lions — Cincinnati was a BCS participant in 2008, Penn State is a household name and traditional power is nice. The combined $775,000 ISU athletics will get from the games is even better from ISU’s perspective.

http://www.tribstar.com/sports/local_story_168235544.html?keyword=topstory

Bull Fan
June 18th, 2009, 11:09 AM
A perennial doormat, they're best served with these games and the payouts.

“Rather than play two MAC schools, let’s play schools to make real good money,” Miles said.

That pretty much sums it up.

IaaScribe
June 18th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Penn State should be ashamed for scheduling Indiana State.

TheBisonator
June 18th, 2009, 12:19 PM
I have a ton of respect for what ISU Blue is trying to do for their football program in the past year or so, but seriously, there might be a risk of on-field deaths at the Penn State game. I would rather see them schedule someone like Indiana, Purdue or Michigan State than Penn State.

BearsCountry
June 18th, 2009, 12:38 PM
I have a ton of respect for what ISU Blue is trying to do for their football program in the past year or so, but seriously, there might be a risk of on-field deaths at the Penn State game. I would rather see them schedule someone like Indiana, Purdue or Michigan State than Penn State.

I dont think its that big of a deal really. Its a paycheck game, its not different for them going to Penn State than Youngstown going to Ohio State or Delaware State going to Michigan.

darell1976
June 18th, 2009, 01:12 PM
I dont think its that big of a deal really. Its a paycheck game, its not different for them going to Penn State than Youngstown going to Ohio State or Delaware State going to Michigan.

Exactly...its like us playing Texas Tech. Its all about the Ben's!!

BisonNDSU
June 18th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Exactly...its like us playing Texas Tech. Its all about the Ben's!!

wouldn't you rather play a team where you get the "Ben's" and have a shot at winning or keeping it close. or getting about the same amount of money in a regional game where your fans can travel easier plus stick around target recruiting areas

BearsCountry
June 18th, 2009, 01:18 PM
wouldn't you rather play a team where you get the "Ben's" and have a shot at winning or keeping it close. or getting about the same amount of money in a regional game where your fans can travel easier plus stick around target recruiting areas

Any game in Texas is good for recruiting. Thats one where you guys can both agree on for once.

Silenoz
June 18th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Large paydays coming ISU football's way

Cincinnati, Penn State games will bring dollars

TERRE HAUTE — It’s a reality most Football Championship Subdivision teams have to face … the money game.

~

darell1976
June 18th, 2009, 01:57 PM

You telling me beating Central Michigan and Ball State has helped recruiting at NDSU?? Where us playing Texas Tech will hurt our recruiting?xconfusedx

FargoBison
June 18th, 2009, 04:54 PM
You telling me beating Central Michigan and Ball State has helped recruiting at NDSU?? Where us playing Texas Tech will hurt our recruiting?xconfusedx

Playing the MAC schools did help NDSU a lot, we compete against them in recruiting and in the past two years Bohl has done very well against them. When you crush the MAC champ by 30 points it is worth something.

As for Texas Tech, getting stomped by them will do nothing for you but if you can make a game out of it you could turn some heads in a big way. I guess it is low risk and a high reward type of deal.

MSUBear42
June 18th, 2009, 05:27 PM
It's a win-win, either way... except for the loss at the end of the game. ;)

bonarae
June 18th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Good to see it as a reality. But take note - most non-scholarship teams do not want to face FBS teams, yet. In my Ivy football wishlist, scheduling FBS teams is #2.

bluehenbillk
June 19th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Penn State continues to embarass themselves with their non-conference schedule.