PDA

View Full Version : Should the Great West Conference get a auto bid to play playoffs?

footballdude
June 17th, 2009, 03:27 AM
I would put this in the great west page but i wanna hear what the rest of the country thinks. What are your thoughts?

GAD
June 17th, 2009, 03:56 AM
No, they don't have enough teams but if there champ has enough quality OOC they should get stong consideration for an at-large bid

TexasTerror
June 17th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Not until they meet the qualifications put forth by the NCAAs. There's rules for these kinds of things and if the NCAA went around the rules, it could make things rocky in the future...

Once they do meet the qualifications regarding teams with full NCAA status, they will get an AQ.

grizband
June 17th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Not until they meet the qualifications put forth by the NCAAs. There's rules for these kinds of things and if the NCAA went around the rules, it could make things rocky in the future...

Once they do meet the qualifications regarding teams with full NCAA status, they will get an AQ.
If they could have held onto NDSU and SDSU long enough, the Great West would have received an automatic berth.

89Hen
June 17th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Not until they meet the qualifications put forth by the NCAAs.
What he said, but I think the NCAA requirement is too low anyway. You can go 3-2 in conference and 0-6 OOC and get an auto with a 3-8 record. Think about that. xeyebrowx

GannonFan
June 17th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Not enough teams - but as the past has shown, Great West teams don't need an auto to make the playoffs - if they're good enough, they'll make it.

Bull Fan
June 17th, 2009, 11:20 AM
What he said, but I think the NCAA requirement is too low anyway. You can go 3-2 in conference and 0-6 OOC and get an auto with a 3-8 record. Think about that. xeyebrowx

True, but what's the likelihood that a team is scheduling such a brutal OOC lineup, but yet have the ability to win your own conference? It's possible, but highly unlikely.

RabidRabbit
June 17th, 2009, 03:31 PM
True, but what's the likelihood that a team is scheduling such a brutal OOC lineup, but yet have the ability to win your own conference? It's possible, but highly unlikely.

In 2007, Great West had 3 teams near the cusp of being tourney material, if SDSU/NDSU had completed eligibility standards. NDSU had a 10-1 record, no FCS losses. Cal Poly was 7-4, but were the 3rd place team in the GWFC, and had one non-FCS win, and one FBS loss. Jacks, likewise were 7-4, one non-D-I wins (1st year transitional UCA), and were 3-0 vs Southland, and 0-2 vs MoValley.

The MoValley REALLY needed to bring the xDSU's to the league when they did. Otherwise, when the UxD's are eligible, the GWFC would have been eligible.

When there are six FCS playing Summit league teams, will the NCAA force those schools to form a league, or will they be able to stay in their respective football leagues? 3 are in the MoValley football conference, 3 in the GWFC.

TheBisonator
June 17th, 2009, 03:46 PM
In 2007, Great West had 3 teams near the cusp of being tourney material, if SDSU/NDSU had completed eligibility standards. NDSU had a 10-1 record, no FCS losses. Cal Poly was 7-4, but were the 3rd place team in the GWFC, and had one non-FCS win, and one FBS loss. Jacks, likewise were 7-4, one non-D-I wins (1st year transitional UCA), and were 3-0 vs Southland, and 0-2 vs MoValley.

The MoValley REALLY needed to bring the xDSU's to the league when they did. Otherwise, when the UxD's are eligible, the GWFC would have been eligible.

When there are six FCS playing Summit league teams, will the NCAA force those schools to form a league, or will they be able to stay in their respective football leagues? 3 are in the MoValley football conference, 3 in the GWFC.

The XDSU's will NEVER EVER let the Summit League force them into a Summit League Football situation. They will always be in the Missouri Valley for football.

BearsCountry
June 17th, 2009, 04:37 PM
The XDSU's will NEVER EVER let the Summit League force them into a Summit League Football situation. They will always be in the Missouri Valley for football.

You guys think you would complain, Western would scream bloody murder.

CopperCat
June 17th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Aside from the NCAA's rules for the AQ, the Great West has been sort of a transitional conference for other teams who are looking for a more permanent home. I think once the conference has solidified its members it would make more sense to give them the AQ. 89 had a good point about going 3-8 and getting to the playoffs as well. Might want to find another couple teams to fill out the rest of the conference (DII teams moving up possibly, or revived FCS programs ala Wichita State).

footballdude
June 17th, 2009, 04:52 PM
I just was wondering what was preventing the GW from getting a auto bid cause I saw Texas State get an auto bid and they got stomped by Southern Utah the GW worst record.

Tod
June 17th, 2009, 05:19 PM

In an eight team conference you can go 4-3, lose all OOC games and get the auto with a 4-7 record. Right?

BearsCountry
June 17th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Might want to find another couple teams to fill out the rest of the conference (DII teams moving up possibly, or revived FCS programs ala Wichita State).

Wichita State wont play in the Great West, they would be in the MVFC.

JBB
June 17th, 2009, 06:19 PM
You have to play by the rules and they dont have enough teams. USD/UND would both bolt the GWC if they had a chance. USD has already left the basketball side. Any team, if they are good enough can get an at large. But, its always a throw of the dice.

Im not aware of any NCAA interference in conference affiliations like forcing a football Summit.

UAalum72
June 17th, 2009, 09:25 PM
The Atlantic-10 has teams in the Mid-American, CAA, Pioneer, Northeast, and Patriot (and LaSalle was in the MAAC until they dropped football)

TheBisonator
June 18th, 2009, 12:25 PM
If the UXDs get established in the Summit, and if SUU doesn't bolt for the Big Sky, and then the Summit spontaneously says that NDSU, SDSU and WIU have to join a football Summit, then I know for a fact (with the people we have in charge) that NDSU would immediately start an FBS study. The relationships the XDSU's have in football with UNI, SIU, Il State, MoSU, etc. are key for us to eventually gain admittance into the Valley for all sports. There's no way the people at NDSU (and I think SDSU) would ever allow our relationship with the Missouri Valley Conference to disappear.

darell1976
June 18th, 2009, 12:29 PM
If the UXDs get established in the Summit, and if SUU doesn't bolt for the Big Sky, and then the Summit spontaneously says that NDSU, SDSU and WIU have to join a football Summit, then I know for a fact (with the people we have in charge) that NDSU would immediately start an FBS study. The relationships the XDSU's have in football with UNI, SIU, Il State, MoSU, etc. are key for us to eventually gain admittance into the Valley for all sports. There's no way the people at NDSU (and I think SDSU) would ever allow our relationship with the Missouri Valley Conference to disappear.

NDSU in the FBS????? No way. What conference would they join in this is there second year of being playoff eligible and year one was not a good one and you think they have the FBS in their future.xlolx

TheBisonator
June 18th, 2009, 12:46 PM
NDSU in the FBS????? No way. What conference would they join in this is there second year of being playoff eligible and year one was not a good one and you think they have the FBS in their future.xlolx

Better to be an FBS journeyman than have to deal with our old enemies from the NCC days...

FargoBison
June 18th, 2009, 12:58 PM
The Summit will never start football unless NDSU, SDSU, and WIU want it to.

darell1976
June 18th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Better to be an FBS journeyman than have to deal with our old enemies from the NCC days...

Yeah because you guys would get stomped in the FBS with the team you have now. You guys need to schedule some old NCC teams like Augustana or even Morningside.xlolx

Hambone
June 18th, 2009, 01:54 PM
The Summit will never start football unless NDSU, SDSU, and WIU want it to.

I would probably agree with this assessment. I don't think the Summit would want to force these schools into a separate football conference, as they would risk losing them in all other sports.

JBB
June 18th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Yeah because you guys would get stomped in the FBS with the team you have now. You guys need to schedule some old NCC teams like Augustana or even Morningside.xlolx

Maybe even the NAIA University of Sioux Falls for a couple years too!! xthumbsupx

Fargo Bison is right, it would have to be a decision made by the primary football schools in the Summit. I dont see that happening.

It might be possible that the GWC would disband if UND/USD end up in the Summit and the GWC football schools would become the Summit Football schools.

Ps. NDSUs long term goal is FBS. Some first things first. New stadium and conference affiliation. If it happens my guess is a new FBS conference would emerge that includes NDSU. Give it 10 years or so.

elcid96
June 18th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Easy answer here. Just plain NO

darell1976
June 19th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Maybe even the NAIA University of Sioux Falls for a couple years too!! xthumbsupx

Fargo Bison is right, it would have to be a decision made by the primary football schools in the Summit. I dont see that happening.

It might be possible that the GWC would disband if UND/USD end up in the Summit and the GWC football schools would become the Summit Football schools.

Ps. NDSUs long term goal is FBS. Some first things first. New stadium and conference affiliation. If it happens my guess is a new FBS conference would emerge that includes NDSU. Give it 10 years or so.

New stadium?? Doesn't the dome exceed the FBS attendance requirements? Now UND would need a new stadium but i don't see UND thinking about the FBS for at least 20 years.

JBB
June 19th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Yes, it does, and so does our attendance. Heck, we need more seats now.

I have been told from the best sources that NDSU has a long term goal of playing in the FBS. A MAC shuffle or some other conference shake-up (MVFC move) might open the door for us but a new stadium would have to be a reality or something near that. I dont see how you can do it with less than 25 - 30,000 seats.

The Fabulous Fargo Dome would be retrofitted for hockey and the BISON would move into a new outdoor facility ala Wyoming located at the intersection of 19th ave and I-29.

The FBS move would work in Fargo similar to the FCS move. A new stadium will start to enter conversations when our season ticket sales grow to over 50% capacity. I think we close to 40% now.

darell1976
June 19th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Yes, it does, and so does our attendance. Heck, we need more seats now.

I have been told from the best sources that NDSU has a long term goal of playing in the FBS. A MAC shuffle or some other conference shake-up (MVFC move) might open the door for us but a new stadium would have to be a reality or something near that. I dont see how you can do it with less than 25 - 30,000 seats.

The Fabulous Fargo Dome would be retrofitted for hockey and the BISON would move into a new outdoor facility ala Wyoming located at the intersection of 19th ave and I-29.
The FBS move would work in Fargo similar to the FCS move. A new stadium will start to enter conversations when our season ticket sales grow to over 50% capacity. I think we close to 40% now.

I am sure the smell would be great with the stadium next to the animal research farms.xlolx

blukeys
June 19th, 2009, 12:37 PM
I am sure the smell would be great with the stadium next to the animal research farms.xlolx

Delaware Stadium is next to the UD animal research farms and we don't have a problem at all until Nova comes to town!!!xsmiley_wixxsmiley_wixxsmiley_wix

JBB
June 19th, 2009, 06:22 PM
As you can see bluekeys, our problem is a little different because the UND fans dont even have to come to town and we still get the stink! xthumbsupx

darell1976
June 25th, 2010, 01:28 PM
If the UXDs get established in the Summit, and if SUU doesn't bolt for the Big Sky,

USD is in and UND will be in either in 2010 or 2011.

and then the Summit spontaneously says that NDSU, SDSU and WIU have to join a football Summit,
2011 the study will be complete.

then I know for a fact (with the people we have in charge) that NDSU would immediately start an FBS study.
NDSU will not do that.

The relationships the XDSU's have in football with UNI, SIU, Il State, MoSU, etc. are key for us to eventually gain admittance into the Valley for all sports. There's no way the people at NDSU (and I think SDSU) would ever allow our relationship with the Missouri Valley Conference to disappear.

Looks like NDSU, SDSU, and WIU may be between a rock and a hard place.

This post from last year...amazing how things change.