2-Elon
3-Wofford
4-Georgia Southern
5-Samford
6-Furman
7-The Citadel
8-Western Carolina
9-Chattanooga

I can see WCU anywhere between 6-9. Good luck to all. Should be another snot knocking season.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

WCU LawCat
June 15th, 2009, 10:56 PM
I think Elon and App are 1, 2 and UTC is 9. The rest is a crap shoot.

The Cats
June 15th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Got the rag today at Borders.

1-Appalachian State
2-Elon
3-Wofford
4-Georgia Southern
5-Samford
6-Furman
7-The Citadel
8-Western Carolina
9-Chattanooga

I can see WCU anywhere between 6-9. Good luck to all. Should be another snot knocking season.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

I think the Cats can and will do better. xthumbsupx

blackcaesar3k5
June 16th, 2009, 02:47 AM
I believe Georgia Southern will finnish second...

catamount man
June 16th, 2009, 06:22 AM
I think the Cats can and will do better. xthumbsupx

I hope so bro. I still can't get past our youth and the fact that the team is different than last year's even when last year's was so different than the regime before, which was a good thing, but still, that unknown factor has me worried.

4-7 or 5-6 and it will show continued improvement, considering where Briggs had us.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

PaladinFan
June 16th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Don't see Furman finishing 6th with the recent additions.

terrierbob
June 16th, 2009, 07:38 AM

You're right.

SideLine Shooter
June 16th, 2009, 08:07 AM

I agree, could easily be in top 3 when everything plays out.

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 16th, 2009, 08:27 AM
I think Elon and App are 1, 2 and UTC is 9. The rest is a crap shoot.

I'm not going to declare Elon a lock for #2 by any means. They finished 3rd last year and could have just as easily finished lower with close games with GSU, The Citadel, and Samford.

App. isn't a lock for number one but probably is a lot closer to being a lock than Elon for #2.

elcid83
June 16th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Hard to believe that ElCid is picked 7 when you consider their QB returns and the conference's best WR [Andre Roberts] will be on board again. Also Terrence Reece [DL] and Daniel DeHaven [OL] and several other returning OL and DL players will be playing. I know the Dogs have to replace Taylor Cornett and this will be tough to do. However, I don't see them finishing in 7th place this year.

Go Bulldogs!

DLS
June 16th, 2009, 09:37 AM
I'm not going to declare Elon a lock for #2 by any means. They finished 3rd last year and could have just as easily finished lower with close games with GSU, The Citadel, and Samford.

App. isn't a lock for number one but probably is a lot closer to being a lock than Elon for #2.

only locks i can see are the bottom three. i wont bet on anything else.

GaSouthern
June 16th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Hard to believe that ElCid is picked 7 when you consider their QB returns and the conference's best WR [Andre Roberts] will be on board again. Also Terrence Reece [DL] and Daniel DeHaven [OL] and several other returning OL and DL players will be playing. I know the Dogs have to replace Taylor Cornett and this will be tough to do. However, I don't see them finishing in 7th place this year.

Go Bulldogs!

I don't think it is them being down as much as it is everyone else being up.

PaladinFan
June 16th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Didn't El Cid have the same two players last year and stunk up the place?

I don't see Elon as #2 either. They have played well early and then faded over the home stretch.

jmufan999
June 16th, 2009, 10:26 AM
all i know is this (and you guys clearly know your conference better than i do, i'm not claiming to be a SoCon expert)... Elon got spanked by a non-playoff team in a game that would have put them in the playoffs... and Wofford played a fantastic road game in Round 1. unless something drastic has changed (in that offense, i'm not concerned about losing Widmeyer and Romero, "plug and play"), i'd have to put Wofford #2. that's a really, really well-coached team. 0 penalties at JMU. that's great coaching. not saying Elon won't be good, i just saw Wofford first-hand and was impressed.

biggie
June 16th, 2009, 10:37 AM
It has been a trend of putting Elon higher early in the season and they fall off quickly at the end. We'll see if that turns around this year.

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 16th, 2009, 10:37 AM

Go Bulldogs!

No matter who is picked 7th you could probably make a case against it. You guys will be better next year and will be capable of beating any SoCon team. It's just that it's harder to pick Furman to finish 7th when they finished ahead of you and they will probably improve almost as much, if not more than you do (and that's if you don't consider that Furman's transfers will take them up a notch, which they might). Same thing with Samford. GSU will probably be the most imrpoved team (in my optimistic/homer opinion xsmiley_wix) and finished ahead of The Citadel so it would make less sense to have them at #7.

gophoenix
June 16th, 2009, 01:35 PM
It has been a trend of putting Elon higher early in the season and they fall off quickly at the end. We'll see if that turns around this year.

A trend huh? Two seasons is not a trend. Besides, 2007 we were 2-2 over the last 4 with both losses being 14 points combined. 2008, we were 1-3 over the last 4 playing a close game to App, but getting rocked by Liberty and Wofford.

So, unless I am missing what you are trending, there doesn't seem to be a trend....

biggie
June 16th, 2009, 03:15 PM
A trend huh? Two seasons is not a trend. Besides, 2007 we were 2-2 over the last 4 with both losses being 14 points combined. 2008, we were 1-3 over the last 4 playing a close game to App, but getting rocked by Liberty and Wofford.

So, unless I am missing what you are trending, there doesn't seem to be a trend....
2 years is a trend, a short one, but still a trend. And its the losing games at the end of the year that everyone expects you to win.

It probably stands out because of all the hype at the beginning of the season. And I'm not saying by your fans, media is a big part of it. Watching news station in the triad besides a couple A&T reports the only other football preseason news has been on Elon and how good they should be this coming year.

terrierbob
June 16th, 2009, 04:07 PM

And I really don't like playing you in the last game of the season. Seems that Forcier will have figured things out by then. Our hope will be ball control.

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 16th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Just noticed that if you go by these rankings, Wofford could very well be playing 4 of their 5 toughest SoCon opponents in Spartanburg.

Lucky mutts.

Punchykky
June 16th, 2009, 11:18 PM
App State runs this conference in football. I'm a believer!

Touchdown Yosef
June 16th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Appalachian

Wofford - they are the most consistent team each year outside of ASU and scare me more than any other Socon team

GSU

Furman

Elon - we'll see i don't see them at 2 and I think GSU and Furman come back to life this year

Samford

Citadel

Western

Chatty

phoenixphanatic21
June 17th, 2009, 12:04 AM
only locks i can see are the bottom three. i wont bet on anything else.

Couldn't you say that about every year recently?

And as for Elon's recent "trend," if we keep putting ourselves in those situations, we are gonna come through eventually. Plus, it's amazing to be there considering where the program was before Lembo took over. I do agree that the media loves to hype us up early on, and usually we don't necessarily deserve it. I would not be surprised at all to see Furman, Wofford or Georgia Southern finish ahead of us this year. It's gonna be another hell of a season boys! Hope yall are ready for it.

ASU
June 17th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Elon plays to hurt other teams players....they shouldn't even be in the conference. Their coach must go along with it since it happens every year.

phoenix3
June 17th, 2009, 06:28 AM
2007 and 2008 were dramatically different years for Elon. The '07 offense kept us in the season & the defense toward the end of the year really couldn't stop anyone. In '08 the defense did a respectable job, (with the exception of Richmond and Wofford), the offense didn't show and had a collective emotional breakdown after the App. game. If we can toughen up emotionally and key players can play team ball this could be a stellar year. If not, well, the SoCon is too tough a conference to play disjointedly and expect to do well. Based solely on who's returning, coaching, etc., I think Elon deserves the #2 spot. Based on the recent three season typical finish, probably 3 or 4 with GSU and Wofford behind App. I think Furman is on the way back as well, just not there this year.

As for playing to hurt other teams' players I suppose you feel the same about JMU and any other team against which one of your players has been injured. The same could easily be said about ASU based on the multiple late hits out of bounds on the Elon players in the 2007 game. Football's a physical game, get over it.

Eaglesrus
June 17th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Just noticed that if you go by these rankings, Wofford could very well be playing 4 of their 5 toughest SoCon opponents in Spartanburg.

Lucky mutts.

We played our toughest SoCon opponents in Statesboro last season and look where it got us.:)

WVAPPmountaineer
June 17th, 2009, 07:11 AM
I would never say anyone is a lock at anything before play even begins - however, I will say that APP should be really good and has a good chance to win it's 5th straight SoCon ---- Let's not forget their away games this season are AT Wofford, AT Elon, AT Furman and AT Citadel - that's a tough list ----

OL FU
June 17th, 2009, 07:19 AM
We played our toughest SoCon opponents in Statesboro last season and look where it got us.:)

I think we have that situation except for you guys this year. WC, ASU, Elon and throw in Samford. It is a mixed blessing. One has a better chance of winning but if you don't win, then look out.

gophoenix
June 17th, 2009, 09:31 AM
2 years is a trend, a short one, but still a trend. And its the losing games at the end of the year that everyone expects you to win.

It probably stands out because of all the hype at the beginning of the season. And I'm not saying by your fans, media is a big part of it. Watching news station in the triad besides a couple A&T reports the only other football preseason news has been on Elon and how good they should be this coming year.

How is that hype? The Triad is covering a Triad FCS team. Who else is there to cover? App isn't in this market. A&T is terrible, WSSU isn't all that good. Despite losing the games that we have, are you saying we aren't a good team, because we are. We just aren't a great team yet.

And I am still not getting the trend. A trend is dictated by something happening 3 or more times. What games have we lost that everyone expected us to win? In 2007, we were predicted to be, what, 3rd from last and finished 7-4. We lost, at the end, to The Citadel (expected to be better than us) and Furman (expected to be better than us). In 2008, we were predicted 2nd (which I think then and now is too bold of a pick) and we lost at the end to Liberty (ranked), App (ranked) and Wofford (ranked). We were expected to beat Liberty by some and I preseason poll voting shows that Wofford and us were pretty much a dead heat, we we were spanked. Were we expected to win that?

So, I am not seeing this trend.

Elon plays to hurt other teams players....they shouldn't even be in the conference. Their coach must go along with it since it happens every year.

xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

How long are some of you guys going to cry about this garbage? late hits happen sometimes. And when you star has the ball, he's going to get hit and players are going to come after him. The same way with Riddle taking hits and some late hits. It happens. Some of you fans need to man up and deal with it. You whine as much as Pittsburgh fans about opposing teams getting physical with Crosby.

I'm starting to think that the new breed of App fans are nothing but crybabies when the games don't go exactly how they want.

PaladinFan
June 17th, 2009, 10:03 AM
How is that hype? The Triad is covering a Triad FCS team. Who else is there to cover? App isn't in this market. A&T is terrible, WSSU isn't all that good. Despite losing the games that we have, are you saying we aren't a good team, because we are. We just aren't a great team yet.

And I am still not getting the trend. A trend is dictated by something happening 3 or more times. What games have we lost that everyone expected us to win? In 2007, we were predicted to be, what, 3rd from last and finished 7-4. We lost, at the end, to The Citadel (expected to be better than us) and Furman (expected to be better than us). In 2008, we were predicted 2nd (which I think then and now is too bold of a pick) and we lost at the end to Liberty (ranked), App (ranked) and Wofford (ranked). We were expected to beat Liberty by some and I preseason poll voting shows that Wofford and us were pretty much a dead heat, we we were spanked. Were we expected to win that?

How long are some of you guys going to cry about this garbage? late hits happen sometimes. And when you star has the ball, he's going to get hit and players are going to come after him. The same way with Riddle taking hits and some late hits. It happens. Some of you fans need to man up and deal with it. You whine as much as Pittsburgh fans about opposing teams getting physical with Crosby.
I'm starting to think that the new breed of App fans are nothing but crybabies when the games don't go exactly how they want.

Interestingly, Pittsburgh was the team in 2005 that clipped our defensive stars all over the field. We lost two starting safeties and our all american linebacker due to late hits by Pitt players.

biggie
June 17th, 2009, 10:26 AM

Different definition of trends then. If it happens this year, again, then we can both be on the same page.

And App is in the triad market, Boone recieves triad TV stations and the WSJ is one of the few papers that cover FCS at all, especially App. Charlotte doesn't know anything outside of Charlotte even exists.

Saint3333
June 17th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Elon has been losing games near the end of the season since they joined the SoCon does that qualify as a trend?

Last 4 games per season and record:

2008 - 1-3
2007 - 2-2
2006 - 2-2
2005 - 0-4
2004 - 1-3
2003 - 0-4

I know Elon has only been good the last two years, but 100% since 2003 (good or bad teams) is a trend.

Finishing with WC, ASU, WCU, and Samford (3 of 4 on the road) I'd expect more of the same.

DLS
June 17th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Charlotte doesn't know anything outside of Charlotte even exists.

this is true, growing up in charlotte I honestly thought everything outside of mecklenburg county was farmland in the carolinas and no one really lived out there in the unknown.

one reason why i chose app

jonmac
June 17th, 2009, 11:13 AM

shh, don't tell anyone but I wonder about this sometimes myself. xwhistlex

gophoenix
June 17th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Elon has been losing games near the end of the season since they joined the SoCon does that qualify as a trend?

Last 4 games per season and record:

2008 - 1-3
2007 - 2-2
2006 - 2-2
2005 - 0-4
2004 - 1-3
2003 - 0-4

I know Elon has only been good the last two years, but 100% since 2003 (good or bad teams) is a trend.

Finishing with WC, ASU, WCU, and Samford (3 of 4 on the road) I'd expect more of the same.

Of course you would. xrolleyesx But then again, no one asked you either. But I see, you've taken the torch from JCline in really only answering people to try and cause arguments. Congratulations to you. xclapx

But then again, why not try... I don't know.... reading the thread before responding ? If you had read the thread, you would see what he meant by trend.... which is losing to teams that Elon is expected to beat. Over that period since 2003, who did we lose to that we were expected to beat other than Liberty?

But you're on ignore now, so at least I don't have to read your garbage anymore.

gophoenix
June 17th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Different definition of trends then. If it happens this year, again, then we can both be on the same page.

And App is in the triad market, Boone recieves triad TV stations and the WSJ is one of the few papers that cover FCS at all, especially App. Charlotte doesn't know anything outside of Charlotte even exists.

In a manner of speaking. Looking at charter and comcast websites, Boone receives more Charlotte stations than Triad by far. WSJ circulation goes to Watauga as does the Charlotte Observer. But the News & Record, Enterprise and Times News do not. I rarely see anything on WXII or in the Journal about Elon, but I do see things on WFMY and WGHP as well as the N&R and T-N.

So, I guess that is in the Triad market, even though Boone is not in what the FCC considers the Triad market.

So,where's the problem covering Elon, who is in the heart of the Triad on the Guilford and east media, while the W-S and west stations cover App then? That's the way it comes down.....

Saint3333
June 17th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Of course you would. xrolleyesx But then again, no one asked you either. But I see, you've taken the torch from JCline in really only answering people to try and cause arguments. Congratulations to you. xclapx

But then again, why not try... I don't know.... reading the thread before responding ? If you had read the thread, you would see what he meant by trend.... which is losing to teams that Elon is expected to beat. Over that period since 2003, who did we lose to that we were expected to beat other than Liberty?

But you're on ignore now, so at least I don't have to read your garbage anymore.

Wow speaking of being a crybaby. Can't handle the facts huh? I assume garbage now equals historical records. I don't need your permission to respond to a thread. Enjoy your life of ignoring reality, I guess ignorance really is bliss.xpeacex

blueballs
June 17th, 2009, 02:15 PM
On paper App is clearly the favorite and after them it is a crapshoot.

Even though App is the favorite I expect lots of close games this year just like the last two years.

I have a hunch GSU is being undersold talent wise but their schedule is brutal... I also have a hunch Samford is going to be a playoff contender.

PaladinFan
June 17th, 2009, 02:28 PM

Even though App is the favorite I expect lots of close games this year just like the last two years.

I have a hunch GSU is being undersold talent wise but their schedule is brutal... I also have a hunch Samford is going to be a playoff contender.

I'm a schedules guy...

I agree with App being the favorite. However, they have a much tougher schedule than they did last year. They will be on the road at Furman, Wofford, The Citadel, and Elon.

Samford won't sneak up on teams this year. They'll be good and likely improved, but they too will have a tougher schedule. They Dogs will come out of the gates firing playing two patsies out of their first three. Get over the App State hump and then get a WCU and UTC at home back to back. Then, and may the gods be kind, they run into the buzz saw that is Furman, Citadel, GSU, Wofford and Elon with three of those games in South Carolina.

GSU has talent, but when do they not? That middle part of the Eagle schedule is going to be nasty. GSU needs to be 3-0 heading up to Elon to have a legitmate shot at the post season.

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 17th, 2009, 02:48 PM

App. will be a better team than Wofford but I think Wofford's chances are only a step lower than App's. The way the SoCon schedule has fallen into place this year they can do it.

Agree with you on Samford. They have the easiest OOC schedule of everyone.

gophoenix
June 18th, 2009, 07:27 AM
I'm a schedules guy...

I agree with App being the favorite. However, they have a much tougher schedule than they did last year. They will be on the road at Furman, Wofford, The Citadel, and Elon.

Samford won't sneak up on teams this year. They'll be good and likely improved, but they too will have a tougher schedule. They Dogs will come out of the gates firing playing two patsies out of their first three. Get over the App State hump and then get a WCU and UTC at home back to back. Then, and may the gods be kind, they run into the buzz saw that is Furman, Citadel, GSU, Wofford and Elon with three of those games in South Carolina.

GSU has talent, but when do they not? That middle part of the Eagle schedule is going to be nasty. GSU needs to be 3-0 heading up to Elon to have a legitmate shot at the post season.

It's the thing now. The OOC games are the only places for any of us to lighten the load now. There are no breaks in conference play anymore. And I think Western is going to be in the mix too.... which adds to the scary factor. Once conference play starts, nothing is easy anymore like it has been in the past for the SoCon.

Maybe we should all make Davidson man up and join so we can all have a bye week during the season xlolx