PDA

View Full Version : CAA Forecast - New Hampshire

jstclmet
June 15th, 2009, 01:54 PM
The Pluses:
1. 8 starters return on Defense - losses are 2 LB's & DB.
2. Relatively young def last year only gave up 135 RYPG, 224 PYPG, & 23.5 PPG.
3. Playmakers @ QB & TE return.
4. 1 lone starting Off lineman (C Neil 6'4 285) will be helped by fellow Sr. Larkin who was a backup RG, 6'4, 290.

The negatives:
1. Lost promising WR Fox for a year.
2. OL decimated by graduation. Looking for a bunch of RSO's to step up.
3. There are about 4 RB's competing for the starting job. TBD in Aug.

The Schedule:

9/5 vs St. Francis. The Wildcats get out of the gates a little sluggish with virtually a new "O", but is strong enough to wrestle out a 27 - 13 win @ home.

9/12 @ Ball St. Not quite ready for prime time, the Cats cannot keep up with the strength of Ball St and falls 7 - 24.

9/19 Bye

9/26 vs Darthmouth. The Cats rebound big against Darthmouth while trying to build on their running game. Cats win 28 - 6.

10/3 @ Towson. The Cats mix pass & run to race past the Tigers 31 - 10.

10/10 vs Villanova. The Home Cats OL is tested often by the Blitzing Cats from the South. TO's give Nova a 14 - 3 HT lead. The Durham Cats fight back to come up short 20 - 28.

10/17 @ UMass. In a nip & tuck battle, The Cats kick a FG as time expires to win 17 - 14 on the road.

10/24 @ Hofstra. In another grind it out game in Long Island, this time the Cats fall as HU kicks the winning FG as time expires. UNH 17 - HU 20.

10/31 vs Northeastern. The Cats push NU all over the field before the home crowd for a convincing 35 - 13 win.

11/7 vs Rhode Island. Using it's Air game, the Cats tests URI's secondary early and often to a 44 - 21 W.

11/14 @ William & Mary. Facing another ranked opponent from the South, the Tribe proves to be too much for the Cats, as the Cats fall 24 - 28.

11/21 vs Maine. In what will most likely be considered a "Play-In" game, the Cats backs are against the wall. With time remaining for one possession, the Cats march 80 yds, and scores the TD to come from behind and steal the win 21 - 20.

CAA 5 - 3, Overall 7 - 4

Dukie95
June 15th, 2009, 02:05 PM
I can find 8 wins in there even if I'm unsure about Nova, UMass and W&M. I'm giving them Ball State based on their outstanding history against 1-A opponents of late.

Uncle Buck
June 15th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Who the hell knows! I could see 8 wins, but replacing a bunch of the o-line is a scary thought. I think definitely 7, if the o-line gels early, 8 will be easy to get to.

WMTribe90
June 15th, 2009, 04:32 PM
It will obviously depend on the OL. Early schedule is favorable. St. Francis won't be that close. Ball St will likely be close, but isn't a must win and then two very winnable games in Dartmouth and Towson. Counting preseason parcatice, that gives UNH seven-eight weeks to get the OL in order before hitting the meat of their schedule. At Hofstra and at Umass are key. My gut tells me that the Maine game will be for a playoff spot. I think UNH hits eight wins and heds back to the playoffs.

scotte303
June 15th, 2009, 06:42 PM
I watched them play last year and they do have some returning weapons. Chad Kackert
is a big time play maker. Watch this guy, he will make things happen.

WrenFGun
June 15th, 2009, 07:45 PM
I watched them play last year and they do have some returning weapons. Chad Kackert
is a big time play maker. Watch this guy, he will make things happen.

...and he will unfortunately miss half the season due to injury.

If the OL gels and Toman can find some weapons beyond Sicko and Kackert, this is definitely a playoff team.

UNHWILDCATS05
June 15th, 2009, 08:07 PM
...and he will unfortunately miss half the season due to injury.
If the OL gels and Toman can find some weapons beyond Sicko and Kackert, this is definitely a playoff team.

Is this a guess on things to come... or did I miss something...???

UNH SUPERFAN
June 15th, 2009, 08:08 PM
????? What happened to Kackert?

VT Wildcat Fan53
June 15th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Toman may yet be the most talented QB (if not the best) UNH has ever enrolled. TE Sicko already is both. RB Kackert, if he stays healthy, has a lethal combination of speed and surprising strength. Overall, the Defense is the best to play in Durham in many years. Off Line is the question mark to be sure. Depth at WR seems to be an issue with loss of Fox, but given the offense, there will be plenty of guys who can step up. Look for a lot of 2 TE offense with 6'6" Soph Chris Jeannotte (who destroyed UMASS in Sicko's absence last year) lining up tight, allowing the shorter, but faster Sicko to move around.

Avoiding some of the CAA's Southern Iron, UNH rolls to a 9-2 regular season record, then hopes to avoid/face Northern Iowa in the National Tournament (depending upon your interpretation of Karma, ....)

9/5 St. Francis 14, UNH 61. A great opening home game gift.
9/12 UNH 28, Ball St. 31. The 1-A domination streak is over, but not without a fight.
9/19 Bye
9/26 Dartmouth 14, UNH 63. Steak of blowout wins continues against an Ivy opponent that can't seem to turn the corner towards regaining respectability
10/3 UNH 38, Towson 17. Big must win road victory over struggling TSU.
10/10 Villanova 21, UNH 24. UNH needs a signature win and this spectacular home victory is it!
10/17 UNH 48, UMass 31. Not as big a blowout as last year, but this is another big road win over a Minuteman 11 that is still missing Donny Brown and his defensive prowess.
10/24 UNH 31, Hofstra 10. A still healthy Kackert takes over on the fast, hard turf, scoring 4 TD's and rushing for 200+ yards, extending his push for All-CAA honors
10/31 Northeastern 28, UNH 35. Another dangerously close contest vs. the always upset minded Huskies. Kackert breaks loose for OT walk-off TD.
11/7 Rhode Island 28, UNH 56. Rams are getting better, but their defense cannot stop well oiled UNH O.
11/14 UNH 7, William & Mary 31. With Top 2 ranking on the line, Wildcats stub their toe in a rain-soaked late season southern trip loss to the Tribe. In easily UNH's poorest two way showing of the season, the Wildcats face a long, discouraging flight back to NH.
11/21 Maine 35, UNH 38. McDonnell once again rallies the troops and -- in a reprise of last season's inspirational curtain call -- UNH outlasts UMaine's relentless ground game with a 2 OT classic victory at home.

At 9-2, Wildcats (with Toman tossing 25 TD's, with a consisently healthy Chad Kackert, and with a dominating AA Scott Sicko) make the post-season with a #5 National Ranking, but are forced to open on the road, thanks to NCAA's distaste with Cowell Stadium. Stay tuned, ......

WrenFGun
June 15th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Is this a guess on things to come... or did I miss something...???

Sorry, should have specified. It's not hurt right now, that I know of.

Cobblestone
June 15th, 2009, 09:31 PM
11/7 Rhode Island 28, UNH 56. Rams are getting better, but their defense cannot stop well oiled UNH O.

Please NO. It's a long enough ride from my house to Durham.

No question that these guys are a playoff team.

Rob Iola
June 15th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Sorry - even as a Hen fan (or especially as a Hen fan) I really respect daCats - was roundly jeered last season in these parts for ranking them at #1 til they gacked - but sadly I have to agree that they'll be hardpressed to get to 7 wins - I see losses to Ball State, Nova, and W&M, plus 1 loss amongst UMass, Hofstra, and Maine - they could easily slip to 6-5 if the injury bug strikes...

crusader11
June 15th, 2009, 09:51 PM
UNH's best QB (Kevin Decker) transferred to Trinity. Tough loss for UNH, big gain for Trinity. Toman, while a solid player, demonstrated in the playoffs last year why he won't take them to the next level.

WrenFGun
June 15th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Having watched both a fair amount, it was clear to me that Decker could play at this level, but that he was behind Toman from the majority of the evaluation standards.

If you go by the favorites/non-favorites, UNH should go 8-3/7-4, depending on how you evaluate their chances against UMass. Considering the team throttled them with Coen, I like their chances. I think the 'Nova game is largely a coin flip in Durham, to be honest. It was a tight one in Philly and I see no reason to expect differently.

UNH could easily shock a FIFTH straight FBS team, too, though I'll never bank a schedule on it. I still think they're the class of the CAA North, with Maine a close second, and Massachusetts and Hofstra a solid 3/4, in no particular order.

SOCAL
June 16th, 2009, 12:40 AM
UNH's best QB (Kevin Decker) transferred to Trinity. Tough loss for UNH, big gain for Trinity. Toman, while a solid player, demonstrated in the playoffs last year why he won't take them to the next level.

Ya right--Decker transfers to a D3 school because he is a better QB than Toman---you must have gone to HS with Decker

TheMinuteman
June 16th, 2009, 03:52 AM
I see 7 wins tough schedule desimated offense in general

Wildcat80
June 16th, 2009, 06:44 AM
9 & 2 at worst. OL has been a strength and will continue with different names on the jerseys. Kackert is not even listed as a returning starter plus we have two other stars behind him. Defense will win at least one key game this year. Losses might be any two of nova, ball st, w&m--but all close games. i say we peak in Nov. and get the long overdue win down south in williamsburg. We hit the playoffs healthy, confident and improving. Time for the UNH program to take the next step. Toman, Sicko, Kackert, Vasso, + a DL--will have all CAA seasons. The sun is shining brightly in Durham this fall. Just do it Cats!!xsmiley_wix

UNHFan99
June 16th, 2009, 08:31 AM
The defense is the best since the 04 and 05 teams maybe better. But the Oline is a major concern. Toman has become frantic when shown pressure like against nova. If the Oline is decent they can win 7 games. I think there is going to be alot more tight low scoring games with this defense kinda like in the early 90's. If the oline plays well. This is another playoff team to recon with.

89Hen
June 16th, 2009, 08:36 AM
The biggest question as to decide how far UNH goes is... do they have to play at UNI? xeyebrowx xsmiley_wix

crusader11
June 16th, 2009, 08:55 AM
He transferred because he did not feel like not starting until his Senior year barring and injury. Sometimes the best players don't play. RJ got the nod at first because he had experience (remember he came in for Santos for almost an entire game and played pretty well). In the Spring game 2 years ago, Decker outperformed RJ, but RJ still got the nod, most likely because he had been there before and had live game experience. I think, and this is just my opinion, things would have been different if neither of them had any game experience, then that whole part of the equation would be thrown out the window and the starter would have been named on pure talent and ability alone.

WrenFGun
June 16th, 2009, 09:37 AM
He transferred because he did not feel like not starting until his Senior year barring and injury. Sometimes the best players don't play. RJ got the nod at first because he had experience (remember he came in for Santos for almost an entire game and played pretty well). In the Spring game 2 years ago, Decker outperformed RJ, but RJ still got the nod, most likely because he had been there before and had live game experience. I think, and this is just my opinion, things would have been different if neither of them had any game experience, then that whole part of the equation would be thrown out the window and the starter would have been named on pure talent and ability alone.

Yes, and IMO, Toman would STILL have won.

UNHFan99
June 16th, 2009, 10:19 AM
RJ is good but so was Decker. Either could play and UNH would have similar success. Both good players but only one can play.

jmufan999
June 16th, 2009, 11:10 AM
9 & 2 at worst.

geez. i was going to say you're definitely a playoff team, but 9-2 at WORST? that's a pretty lofty standard.

let's say you're 10-1.... that would mean that (likely) the only loss was to Ball State. it's very tough to go undefeated in the CAA, even if it is the north.

that said, i don't see any way this team misses the playoffs, and i could see them going deep. will just depend on the matchups. anywhere between 7 and 9 wins.

UNHFan99
June 16th, 2009, 11:12 AM
I dont care how good you think you are in preseason making the playoffs out of the CAA is really hard. I think they make it but it will once again come down to the Maine game.

SOCAL
June 16th, 2009, 12:22 PM

RJ got the nod at first because he had experience (remember he came in for Santos for almost an entire game and played pretty well).

Thats quite an understatement---Toman comes in and leads UNH to 4 td's and victory against Delaware --a nationally ranked team--whose QB was Joe Flacco who now starts for the Baltimore Ravens and who eventually played in the FCS final in Tennessee that year---geez --damn Toman with faint praise (played pretty well)

Decker is a good QB and I hope he finds success at Trinity--and unlike you who must knock Toman at every chance to say his buddy Decker got screwed at UNH-- I say Decker will succeed at Trinity and wish him the best

GannonFan
June 16th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Gee, who knew there was so much dislike for Toman by some people - he's looked pretty good so far so it's not as if UNH is really struggling with him at the helm. Will most likely be in the playoffs again this year.

WrenFGun
June 16th, 2009, 12:52 PM
I think people are just nailing Toman because they've become unhappy with the current level of success and want more. Remember, Santos made the playoffs and lost in the second round to Northern Iowa, Montana and UMass, and the first round to UNI. Toman followed up by losing in the second round to UNI.

Let's see what Toman can do as a junior before we start annointing him as the wrong choice.

UNHWILDCATS05
June 16th, 2009, 01:59 PM
I think people are just nailing Toman because they've become unhappy with the current level of success and want more. Remember, Santos made the playoffs and lost in the second round to Northern Iowa, Montana and UMass, and the first round to UNI. Toman followed up by losing in the second round to UNI.

Let's see what Toman can do as a junior before we start annointing him as the wrong choice.

Hopefully the football fans don't become like our hockey fans on the USCHO board and become cynical, negative, anti all other sports and downright annoying...

crusader11
June 16th, 2009, 03:03 PM
I just remember watching both of UNH's playoff games last year and was not impressed at all by Toman. Sure, he put up some nice numbers throughout the year, but it was the defense that beat SIU in round 1 of the playoffs, and another poor performance by him ended up doing UNH in against UNI.

I've already stated Toman is a good QB, just making the point that they better one may well have been on the bench. We will never know.

Uncle Buck
June 16th, 2009, 03:29 PM
UNH 11-0 National Champs....there, that settles it! xthumbsupx

SOCAL
June 16th, 2009, 04:40 PM
I just remember watching both of UNH's playoff games last year and was not impressed at all by Toman. Sure, he put up some nice numbers throughout the year, but it was the defense that beat SIU in round 1 of the playoffs, and another poor performance by him ended up doing UNH in against UNI.

I've already stated Toman is a good QB, just making the point that they better one may well have been on the bench. We will never know.

Yes we do know--its Toman

Decker had 2 years to beat him out and did not---

I guess making 2nd team All-CAA at QB clearly shows that Toman was the inferior QB

Wildcat80
June 17th, 2009, 08:14 AM
The defense is the best since the 04 and 05 teams maybe better. But the Oline is a major concern. Toman has become frantic when shown pressure like against nova. If the Oline is decent they can win 7 games. I think there is going to be alot more tight low scoring games with this defense kinda like in the early 90's. If the oline plays well. This is another playoff team to recon with.

Remember we are now talking a junior QB with plenty of experience in big games along with an improved defense. We need to get both our Oline and WR's to make plays early. UNH expects to win and expects to be a playoff team. Last year on the road at nova we gave up 4th qtr scores and could not score. That needs to change. We had w&m beat and let them make a play to win. No more. UNH is NOT yielding anything to CAA South teams.xnonox

Husky Alum
June 17th, 2009, 08:21 AM
10/31 Northeastern 28, UNH 35. Another dangerously close contest vs. the always upset minded Huskies. Kackert breaks loose for OT walk-off TD.

If it's a walk off TD, you're assuming NU got the ball first and didn't score, then UNH scores - do they have to kick the extra point?

I think the final on a walk off TD would be 34-28, no?

Just saying...

;-)

See you at Durham for the game. UNHAlum and I will be there.

Houndawg
June 17th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Remember we are now talking a junior QB with plenty of experience in big games along with an improved defense. We need to get both our Oline and WR's to make plays early. UNH expects to win and expects to be a playoff team. Last year on the road at nova we gave up 4th qtr scores and could not score. That needs to change. We had w&m beat and let them make a play to win. No more. UNH is NOT yielding anything to CAA South teams.xnonox

xlolxxlolxxlolx That's because they aren't PLAYING most of them.

Houndawg
June 17th, 2009, 09:08 AM

It wasn't the defense that won the game at SIU, both teams were ragged as all hell in that game. It was the kick off return team and John Clements that won the game against SIU by providing outstanding field position that turned three thirty yard drives that would normally have been punts into FGs. Clements was the best player on the field that day by a wide margin.

GannonFan
June 17th, 2009, 09:27 AM
xlolxxlolxxlolx That's because they aren't PLAYING most of them.

Huh?? They play half of them, and play 2 of the predicted top 3 (nova and W&M) from the CAA South. Not exactly a cupcake schedule. xwhistlex

Houndawg
June 17th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Huh?? They play half of them, and play 2 of the predicted top 3 (nova and W&M) from the CAA South. Not exactly a cupcake schedule. xwhistlex

Conferences that don't play round-robin should always have an asterisk by their name.

Edit: Sporting News picks JMU and UR 1st and 3rd in the caa south.

GannonFan
June 17th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Conferences that don't play round-robin should always have an asterisk by their name.

Edit: Sporting News picks JMU and UR 1st and 3rd in the caa south.

Big deal - we'll have an asterisk next to the conference name - CAA* - whoop-de-doo. I actually kinda like it, gives the acronymn a little pizzazz. xthumbsupx

Sporting News can pick who they like - most people have rightfully said the Sporting News just takes the standings and AA's from last year and calls that their "predictions". Seeing how most people on here think #1 through #5 in the CAA South is pretty interchangeable this year, I'm not going to lose a lot of sleep over worrying if nova and W&M are going to be worthy opponents for UNH.

UNHFootballAlum
June 17th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Toman has a a year of full time playing experience under his belt. His decisision making will be greatly improved over last year, which means he will make fewer mistakes at critical times. Several of our OL played significant minutes last year due to injury of starters. I believe that they are going to surprise many in the CAA and the running game will be more consistent over a year ago

Houndawg
June 17th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Toman has a a year of full time playing experience under his belt. His decisision making will be greatly improved over last year, which means he will make fewer mistakes at critical times. Several of our OL played significant minutes last year due to injury of starters. I believe that they are going to surprise many in the CAA and the running game will be more consistent over a year ago

A full year is huge for any QB and he'll probably do as well as the o-line lets him. At last year's game I thought Kackert was better than his stats and Toman wasn't. Clements and Boyle were the clear standouts.

UNH and SIU are actually similar in a few respects going into this season, both return most of a very good defense, both return a QB coming off of his first year starting, both are wondering how the o-line will compare to last year, both have a good chance of meeting in the playoffs this year....

WrenFGun
June 17th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I think SIU and UNH are pretty similar teams, though I give UNH the edge because they were a better team last season. I believe I had them back-to-back in the polls (UNH 6/SIU 7) or something like that. I'd have to look at my poll more closely.

I just got season tickets yesterday! (I think that means I'm getting old, though...ugh).

UNH_Alum_In_CT
June 18th, 2009, 09:42 AM

Did it ever cross your mind that Toman might have outperformed Decker in the four weeks of Spring Practice leading up the the Blue-White Game? And did so the prior year in practice? Coaching decisions don't get made on one Spring Game.

And FWIW Toman was highly regarded coming out of HS. I know there is a thread somewhere here on AGS that has the QB rankings for his senior year of HS. IIRC Toman was in the top 15. I don't recall seeing Decker on any similar list for his senior year. Talent and ability is what earned Toman his #1 spot.

Don't get me wrong I wish Decker hadn't transferred because I'm of the opinion you can never have enough capable QB's on your roster. Redshirt freshman Welch is showing a lot of promise (might that have been a factor in Decker's decision? xconfusedx), but I'd prefer the #2 QB not be a redshirt freshman.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
June 18th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Toman may yet be the most talented QB (if not the best) UNH has ever enrolled. TE Sicko already is both. RB Kackert, if he stays healthy, has a lethal combination of speed and surprising strength. Overall, the Defense is the best to play in Durham in many years. Off Line is the question mark to be sure. Depth at WR seems to be an issue with loss of Fox, but given the offense, there will be plenty of guys who can step up. Look for a lot of 2 TE offense with 6'6" Soph Chris Jeannotte (who destroyed UMASS in Sicko's absence last year) lining up tight, allowing the shorter, but faster Sicko to move around.

Avoiding some of the CAA's Southern Iron, UNH rolls to a 9-2 regular season record, then hopes to avoid/face Northern Iowa in the National Tournament (depending upon your interpretation of Karma, ....)

9/5 St. Francis 14, UNH 61. A great opening home game gift.
9/12 UNH 28, Ball St. 31. The 1-A domination streak is over, but not without a fight.
9/19 Bye
9/26 Dartmouth 14, UNH 63. Steak of blowout wins continues against an Ivy opponent that can't seem to turn the corner towards regaining respectability
10/3 UNH 38, Towson 17. Big must win road victory over struggling TSU.
10/10 Villanova 21, UNH 24. UNH needs a signature win and this spectacular home victory is it!
10/17 UNH 48, UMass 31. Not as big a blowout as last year, but this is another big road win over a Minuteman 11 that is still missing Donny Brown and his defensive prowess.
10/24 UNH 31, Hofstra 10. A still healthy Kackert takes over on the fast, hard turf, scoring 4 TD's and rushing for 200+ yards, extending his push for All-CAA honors
11/14 UNH 7, William & Mary 31. With Top 2 ranking on the line, Wildcats stub their toe in a rain-soaked late season southern trip loss to the Tribe. In easily UNH's poorest two way showing of the season, the Wildcats face a long, discouraging flight back to NH.
11/21 Maine 35, UNH 38. McDonnell once again rallies the troops and -- in a reprise of last season's inspirational curtain call -- UNH outlasts UMaine's relentless ground game with a 2 OT classic victory at home.

At 9-2, Wildcats (with Toman tossing 25 TD's, with a consisently healthy Chad Kackert, and with a dominating AA Scott Sicko) make the post-season with a #5 National Ranking, but are forced to open on the road, thanks to NCAA's distaste with Cowell Stadium. Stay tuned, ......

Thoughts after reading your post:

It's bad enough that we can't seem to beat W&M to save our lives, but why does the weather also have to be crappy so often when we meet! :p xrotatehx xlolx

Don't think we run up that kind of score on Dartmouth since Coach Mac seems to call off the dogs real early against them -- second possession of the third quarter last year in Hanover.

Homecoming against top opponents has not been successful for our Wildcats this decade. I mean we can't even get the zebras to make the correct call on a game winning FG as the clock expires! Would that happen anywhere else? Yes, beating Villanova would be a signature win!!

I don't do predictions but I'm confident because you've assured me the OL will be up to the task at hand! ;) :p The defense is returning virtually everybody in the two deep and they're adding a few good players from injury and their redshirt freshmen. I'm thinking the D will take some pressure off the O this year, been awhile since we've seen that in Durham! Keys for me are not stubbing their toes on the road at Towson and Hofstra. Take care of business at home against URI and Northeastern. Earn North supremacy by beating UMass and Maine. But things never go as scripted so I'm strapped in for another great ride!!

As for UNI, well, I enjoy hanging out with PantherRob82 and the other UNI posters, but I'd really rather skip the trek to the Cedar Valley again this year. Nothing personal, just a been there, done that feeling. There are lots of other FCS venues I want to experience.

Cobblestone
June 18th, 2009, 11:08 AM
FWIW, I saw a college football publication yesterday that had the pre-season CAA teams. Toman was selected as first team QB.

UNHWildCats
June 18th, 2009, 11:21 AM
FWIW, I saw a college football publication yesterday that had the pre-season ACC teams. Toman was selected as first team QB.
thats impressive topping the first team for a conference he doesnt even play for xcoolx

Cobblestone
June 18th, 2009, 12:03 PM
thats impressive topping the first team for a conference he doesnt even play for xcoolx

xlolx

My bad! Good catch.

YoUDeeMan
June 18th, 2009, 05:59 PM
As for UNI, well, I enjoy hanging out with PantherRob82 and the other UNI posters, but I'd really rather skip the trek to the Cedar Valley again this year. Nothing personal, just a been there, done that feeling. There are lots of other FCS venues I want to experience.

You've "been there, done that" at Durham, too, so you'll probably want to give up your home playoff games if UNH goes 9-2 as some have predicated. :p :D xsmiley_wix

VT Wildcat Fan53
June 21st, 2009, 12:02 AM
If it's a walk off TD, you're assuming NU got the ball first and didn't score, then UNH scores - do they have to kick the extra point?

I think the final on a walk off TD would be 34-28, no?

Just saying...

;-)

See you at Durham for the game. UNHAlum and I will be there.

Details, details, details, .... but, you got me, ......xrolleyesx

Wildcat80
June 21st, 2009, 08:45 AM
Kackert played in the Spring game and there was no report of any injury. Not sure if it happened later or not at all. ?? I DO still like his backups--we have good depth at RB but he is a senior.

KAUMASS
June 21st, 2009, 08:50 AM
With all due respect, UNH is due for an off year. May or may not be this year...

Houndawg
June 21st, 2009, 09:43 PM
FWIW, I saw a college football publication yesterday that had the pre-season CAA teams. Toman was selected as first team QB.

All I can say is that he must have been having his worst day ever against SIU beacause I saw at least four players that impressed me more just among their backs and receivers. Geez, he threw seven picks in two playoff games so he can't have been any better against UNI......was he hurt or something?

WrenFGun
June 22nd, 2009, 08:23 AM
All I can say is that he must have been having his worst day ever against SIU beacause I saw at least four players that impressed me more just among their backs and receivers. Geez, he threw seven picks in two playoff games so he can't have been any better against UNI......was he hurt or something?

Just didn't have a great day either game. Playoffs may have gotten to him. Based on his performance in the regular season last year, he's more than deserving of the mention.

jmufan999
June 22nd, 2009, 09:18 AM
i have no problem with JMU being #3 in the CAA South. but -- and with all due respect to W&M (my brother went there, not that it means anything) -- there's no way they're a better team than JMU. 540 yards of total offense last year wasn't just because of Landers, either... RB Holloman had 130 yards on 5.7 ypc (and our RB's this year will be even more talented... and deeper). this is not "smack" (god i hate that term as most W&M students probably do as well, makes me feel like a thug), this is defending my team. not that i care if someone sees it as "smack".

Wildcat80
June 22nd, 2009, 06:34 PM
Just didn't have a great day either game. Playoffs may have gotten to him. Based on his performance in the regular season last year, he's more than deserving of the mention.

Sophomore "swoon" to be followed by junior "surprise".....Just Do It Cats!

UNH Fanboi
June 24th, 2009, 11:48 AM

SIU and UNI were definitely his worst days ever. Probably a combination of playing against good defenses and playoff pressure. But considering that he was only a sophomore and how well he played during the season, I don't think you can write him off just based on those games.

BTW, does anyone know anything about these guys who were RSF last year?:

86 Jeannot, Chris Fr. (R) WR 6-6 230 Moon Township, Pa. Moon Area
88 Mason, Kevon Fr. (R) WR 6-4 215 Quincy, Mass. Xavarien Brothers

One thing UNH lacked in their WR last year was height, which these guys have.

Houndawg
June 24th, 2009, 01:37 PM
SIU and UNI were definitely his worst days ever. Probably a combination of playing against good defenses and playoff pressure. But considering that he was only a sophomore and how well he played during the season, I don't think you can write him off just based on those games.

xpeacex I'm not writing him off, he won against us.

The good news is he'll recognize everybody's face if we meet in the playoffs this year.

WrenFGun
June 24th, 2009, 01:59 PM

Mason's had trouble with the playbook, but he is definitely an athlete. He has really long legs, which always stands out to me. His strides are enormous. I suspect he'll see more PT next year.

Jeannot is the reserve TE and I suspect you'll see him more and more next year. He had a huge game with Sicko out last season (Hofstra, maybe?)

Cats02
June 24th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Mason's had trouble with the playbook, but he is definitely an athlete. He has really long legs, which always stands out to me. His strides are enormous. I suspect he'll see more PT next year.

Jeannot is the reserve TE and I suspect you'll see him more and more next year. He had a huge game with Sicko out last season (Hofstra, maybe?)

UMass...two td's, one was like 77 yards i think. No Scott Sicko, but he can do some damage given the opportunity.

yorkcountyUNHfan
June 26th, 2009, 12:14 PM
UMass...two td's, one was like 77 yards i think. No Scott Sicko, but he can do some damage given the opportunity.

Welcome, Cats02

yorkcountyUNHfan
June 26th, 2009, 12:15 PM
xpeacex I'm not writing him off, he won against us.

The good news is he'll recognize everybody's face if we meet in the playoffs this year.

Will your new stadium be ready this season?

UNH_Alum_In_CT
August 3rd, 2009, 07:22 PM
Surprised that Crusader11 hasn't posted this, ;) but today's Manchester Union Leader has reported that Decker is back at UNH. He changed his mind about Trinity. Coach Mac was quoted saying he'll start camp at #5 on the depth chart at QB. Personally, I think he'll quickly get to #3 and am interested to see if his experience gets him the backup slot over a talented redshirt freshman.

In other news, RB Ken Howard, Fr. (R), is academically ineligible and gone for the season. And OT Jayson Elmore, So., has decided to give up football and transfer to a school in Philly to study film making. Elmore was expected to be a starter this year on the OL. Howard expects to return to school in January.

UL Article (http://www.theunionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=UNH+Notebook%3a+Wildcats+get ting+ready+for+some+football&articleId=35a77d3d-8337-40b0-be15-c8b765373e43)

Tribe4SF
August 3rd, 2009, 08:50 PM
Surprised that Crusader11 hasn't posted this, ;) but today's Manchester Union Leader has reported that Decker is back at UNH. He changed his mind about Trinity. Coach Mac was quoted saying he'll start camp at #5 on the depth chart at QB. Personally, I think he'll quickly get to #3 and am interested to see if his experience gets him the backup slot over a talented redshirt freshman.

In other news, RB Ken Howard, Fr. (R), is academically ineligible and gone for the season. And OT Jayson Elmore, So., has decided to give up football and transfer to a school in Philly to study film making. Elmore was expected to be a starter this year on the OL. Howard expects to return to school in January.

UL Article (http://www.theunionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=UNH+Notebook%3a+Wildcats+get ting+ready+for+some+football&articleId=35a77d3d-8337-40b0-be15-c8b765373e43)

That's a shame about Howard. As you and I have discussed, he was probably the top RB recruit in the conference last year, and I would have expected him to contribute this year. You guys don't need to be losing any o-linemen, either.

smcwildcat
August 3rd, 2009, 10:37 PM
dontre peters will compete for #2 running back he had a very good spring from transitioning to rb from db could help out the load for jellison and kackert....also last 2 yrs starting wr terrence fox is out for year for substance issues...not gonna start anything but word is he got the stuff from osu star malcom jenkins....his friend from home anyway biggest issue is the OL

D is looking like the best in a long time in Durham should be very talented w dbs and DL

smcwildcat
August 3rd, 2009, 10:37 PM
as of now our punter is gonna be jr wr JT wright...very worried about that

crusader11
August 3rd, 2009, 10:55 PM
Didn't want to rekindle the whole debate again so I thought I'd let someone else bring it up.

Uncle Buck
August 4th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Wow, at first i thought it was a little tongue in cheek, but damn, the QB is back and an OL is leaving for film school. Nice to have extra depth at QB, but i agree, losing an o-lineman who had a good spring is tough for an already inexperienced squad.

Cooper
August 4th, 2009, 07:40 AM
http://tinyurl.com/l6tc8y

Manchester Union Leader reports Decker changed his mind and is back at UNH.

Last season, Decker was the backup to starting quarterback R.J. Toman. Now, McDonnell said, he will start at the bottom of the depth chart, behind Toman, Matt Welch, Josh Vick and Mike Roberto.

"He was the No. 2 last year and he's a real good football player," McDonnell said. "He gives us more depth at the position and he gives us more competition there. That makes it a win-win for everybody."

WrenFGun
August 4th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Anyone with any kind of projection on the offensive line situation? I had assumed that Price, Neill and Larkin were near locks, but I had also penciled Josh Lane and Jayson Elmore into the other two spots, and I'm not sure either is on the team anymore, based on some information I've read.

Really disappointed to hear about Ken Howard, as I had thought he would be a nice option as the third runner. Hopefully he doesn't leave the program all-together, but moves like that never bode well for the future with the team.

The two big concerns entering the season (WR/OL) look like bigger concerns now than they did earlier in the offseason, which is never good. I'm hoping for a big breakthrough from Chris Chandler or Mickey Mangieri at WR, but I don't even know who to hope for in regard to the OL.

unhfan1
August 4th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Decker will back up Tomasn, book it.
Players say Wright has the strongest leg on the team.

Wildcat80
August 4th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Yes OL is a concern BUT I fully expect guys we have not heard from to step up and get it done. We redshirted every freshman last year and have to be building some depth-granted inexperienced but depth none the less. We only play 5 guys. We will need to sort thru 15 to get there but we will. GO CATS!xnodx

yorkcountyUNHfan
August 4th, 2009, 03:00 PM
I recall 3 Sophomore first time starters on the OL in a game played out in the Chicago area a couple years back.xthumbsupx

Uncle Buck
August 4th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Yes OL is a concern BUT I fully expect guys we have not heard from to step up and get it done. We redshirted every freshman last year and have to be building some depth-granted inexperienced but depth none the less. We only play 5 guys. We will need to sort thru 15 to get there but we will. GO CATS!xnodx

How does your early schedule line up, it may take a few games to gel and hopefully Toman doesn't get killed before that because of a missed block.

BDKJMU
August 4th, 2009, 08:44 PM
How does your early schedule line up, it may take a few games to gel and hopefully Toman doesn't get killed before that because of a missed block.

3 locks for Ws and a likely loss to Ball State in the 1st 4 games before their showdown with Nova.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/teams/schedule?teamId=160

Eh, any o-lineman who was looking to be a starter who would leave to go to "film school" sounds like a P**** anyway. UNH shouldn't miss a guy like that. xnodx

If a JMU player left a likely newly one starting job to go to "film school" (esp a big, fat o-lineman) I'd be like you worthless tub of s***, good riddance..xsmiley_wix

SOCAL
August 4th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Toman added to Payton list

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4246293

UNH 40
August 4th, 2009, 09:57 PM
as of now our punter is gonna be jr wr JT wright...very worried about that

Wright was offered by Wisconsin to be a Punter so you shouldn't be to concerned about that.

TheMinuteman
August 6th, 2009, 12:15 PM
I see 7 wins... Must replace 8 players on offense including 4 on the O line...definately have weapons so it could be more if the team gels but at the moment I see 7...they have a good defense as well