PDA

View Full Version : interesting article on Rhody FB travails

Brad82
June 15th, 2009, 08:23 AM
http://www.projo.com/uri/content/sp_uri_series_football_15_06-15-09_C1ENIRV_v2.2e3e87c.html

Outgoing President's comments on URI footballs struggles.
The comments on Coach Griffin have been echoed in stands many times.

Husky Alum
June 15th, 2009, 08:49 AM
I've known Bob Griffin since he coached at Milford (CT) Academy in the 1970s.

He actually recruited me to play at URI, but he acknowledged that URI probably wasn't a good fit for me.

Despite that, our families have stayed in touch for a long time. He's a true gentleman of the game, and the Yankee Conference lost a legend when he was let go.

WMTribe90
June 15th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Good read, very candid interview.

VT Wildcat Fan53
June 15th, 2009, 08:43 PM
I've known Bob Griffin since he coached at Milford (CT) Academy in the 1970s.

He actually recruited me to play at URI, but he acknowledged that URI probably wasn't a good fit for me.

Despite that, our families have stayed in touch for a long time. He's a true gentleman of the game, and the Yankee Conference lost a legend when he was let go.

Bob Griffin was and always has been a classy man and a fine football coach. Good for President Carruthers for admitting that he pulled the trigger too fast. Of course, that doesn't undo the mistake that was made back in 1992 -- and maybe signed 20 years of generally missteps for Rhody football.

Cobblestone
June 15th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Good article. Carothers was a good supporter and good friend to the program. I'll miss him.

Tim James
June 16th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Poor facilites have been a huge part of football's lack of success. I know they built a new stand recently but the stadium is still very poor. I'm sure when a prospective recruit sees the stadium they are not impressed with it.

bkrownd
June 16th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Poor facilites have been a huge part of football's lack of success. I know they built a new stand recently but the stadium is still very poor. I'm sure when a prospective recruit sees the stadium they are not impressed with it.

Especially when it's under water.... xsmiley_wix

scotte303
June 16th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Thats a good article, In the comments section did you see some Ass called the football players a bunch of "Prima donna thugs"? What a scum bag.

Cobblestone
June 17th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Thats a good article, In the comments section did you see some Ass called the football players a bunch of "Prima donna thugs"? What a scum bag.

I never read the comments portion of anything in the PROJO. The guy who made that comment is just a typical RI pussy. Trust me, there are a TON of those in this state.

scotte303
June 17th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Just cant believe my eyes when I read a comment like that about student athletes. Unreal!