PDA

View Full Version : Surprise team of the Big Sky this year

Lumberjacks76
June 13th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Goes to Sacramento State, who will win 6 games this season.

Paul

mtgrizfan4life
June 13th, 2009, 06:15 PM
I think Northern Colorado will be .500 in the conference this year. I would not want to pay them the last 1/2 of the year. They have some good young talent. They just need to learn to win and not lose composure. I like them better than Sac State.

Montana, Weber State, and Montana State, maybe EWU are better than Northern Colorado. I used to think PSU would be good, but every year Glanville continues to let me down. NAU is impossible to put a finger on, and is that way every year. Idaho State would really surprise me if they won more than 2 conference games. Sac State, I have a feeling will soon be the next NAU, impossible to figure out or put a finger on.

ncbears
June 13th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I think Northern Colorado will be .500 in the conference this year. I would not want to pay them the last 1/2 of the year. They have some good young talent. They just need to learn to win and not lose composure. I like them better than Sac State.

Montana, Weber State, and Montana State, maybe EWU are better than Northern Colorado. I used to think PSU would be good, but every year Glanville continues to let me down. NAU is impossible to put a finger on, and is that way every year. Idaho State would really surprise me if they won more than 2 conference games. Sac State, I have a feeling will soon be the next NAU, impossible to figure out or put a finger on.

props to 4life!!!

SactoHornetFan
June 13th, 2009, 09:00 PM

Paul

Thank you xthumbsupx...but I see us winning 7-8 games.

GOKATS
June 13th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Thank you xthumbsupx...but I see us winning 7-8 games.

California Dreaming..............................., just don't see it happening......................

I do see an upswing in the progam however.

MaximumBobcat
June 13th, 2009, 11:00 PM

Paul

If half the crap you've posted on multiple threads this offseason comes true, won't NAU be the surprise team this year? xnodxxnodxxnodx

mtgrizfan4life
June 13th, 2009, 11:01 PM
props to 4life!!!

I just hope they prove me right like Weber State did last year. However, I doubt Northern Colorado will do as well as WSU did last year.

How many games did NoCo lose by less than 7 last year? I was impressed with their young speed guys on both sides of the ball. They do need more depth and size though.

mtgrizfan4life
June 13th, 2009, 11:07 PM
If half the crap you've posted on multiple threads this offseason comes true, won't NAU be the surprise team this year? xnodxxnodxxnodx

To me it will be more like NAU finally becoming more than a .500 team. Got to hand it them, they are consistently in the middle of the pack, and usually fold the 2nd half of conference play. They have convinced me they are always middle of the pack.

I honestly do not see anyone but Montana and Weber State playing for the conference championship in 09. With that said I do see 3, and maybe 4 make the playoffs. That depends on how the other conferences play out though. Montana State and EWU will make a run for those 2 slots. Both have somewhat of decent history to get a playoff nod. If Sac State or UNC are 3rd or 4th, I do not see them getting a playoff nod. Neither has any FCS history compared to other FCS programs.

ncbears
June 13th, 2009, 11:20 PM
I just hope they prove me right like Weber State did last year. However, I doubt Northern Colorado will do as well as WSU did last year.

How many games did NoCo lose by less than 7 last year? I was impressed with their young speed guys on both sides of the ball. They do need more depth and size though.

I think we lost 5 games by 7 points or less.

ncbears
June 13th, 2009, 11:21 PM
THis is the first year since our transition that we have a lot of upper classmen. The past few years we've been playing with 70-80% underclassmen. Depth won't be a problem as in the past.

bpcats
June 14th, 2009, 03:55 AM
UNC has made steady progress every year. Waggoner is definitely capable of leading the Bears. I expect them to win 3 or 4 conference games this year. The issue for them this year will be learning how to play consistent from week to week. They may pull off a upsets, but how will they react the following week.

The biggest reason the Griz win is that they are very consistent in their effort and play from week to week.

Sac State - is an interesting case. I believe when MSU played them, they were down to their third quarterback by games end. I believe Muatola and Bannon graduated from their linebacking corp in addition to their star receiver. I believe their coach has them headed in the right direction but are a year away from making noise.

Ronbo
June 14th, 2009, 09:32 AM
There's always a team that comes out of nowhere every year in the Big Sky. One that NO ONE saw coming. Everyone seems to think UNC and Sac. State will be respectable this year so they REALLY are not surprise teams if they do well, right? UNC and Sac. State will be surprise dissapointments if they go 3-8.

The teams that would surprise are:

Idaho State and Portland State. One of those teams could surprise because everyone is writing them off.

EllsworthGriz
June 14th, 2009, 09:42 AM
To me it will be more like NAU finally becoming more than a .500 team. Got to hand it them, they are consistently in the middle of the pack, and usually fold the 2nd half of conference play. They have convinced me they are always middle of the pack.

I honestly do not see anyone but Montana and Weber State playing for the conference championship in 09. With that said I do see 3, and maybe 4 make the playoffs. That depends on how the other conferences play out though. Montana State and EWU will make a run for those 2 slots. Both have somewhat of decent history to get a playoff nod. If Sac State or UNC are 3rd or 4th, I do not see them getting a playoff nod. Neither has any FCS history compared to other FCS programs.

I have a hard time believing that 3 or 4 teams from the big sky will make the show. That would be great but cant see it. I can see 3 or 4 team from the Socon or CCA, but not the Big Sky. Go Griz

Lumberjacks76
June 14th, 2009, 10:30 AM
We'll see how the teams go. I fully expect a competitive Big Sky conference race.

Paul

ncbears
June 14th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Ronbo made a good point, maybe we won't be the suprise team of the conference because we're exptected to get at least 3 wins. I think maybe 5-6 wins is what we will get, so who knows the suprise team will be. Maybe a team like Sac St can compete for the title? I doubt it.

Native
June 14th, 2009, 11:09 AM
I think we lost 5 games by 7 points or less.

Indeed! One of those five close games was in Greeley against Weber State.

Thank goodness we play the Bears at home this year.

ncbears
June 14th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Indeed! One of those five close games was in Greeley against Weber State.

Thank goodness we play the Bears at home this year.

we played you guys in overtime two years ago at your place. Maybe it's just a unc/weber thing that they're so close.

Lumberjacks76
June 14th, 2009, 01:02 PM
UNC will be a good team in the next few years. As for this year, they can only hope to stay close in every game and maybe eek out 3 or 4 wins for the season.

Paul

already123
June 15th, 2009, 01:43 PM
I like UNC to win a few games next season, which shouldnt be a surprise to anyone who has actually watched them lose. I feel the shocker will be WHO they beat next season...

But as always, Big Sky Play is unpredictable!