PDA

View Full Version : Another year where it won't happen

JohnStOnge
December 3rd, 2005, 06:38 PM
Well...once again the teams in the title game will be from different conferences. It's really kind of remarkable that, with I-AA playoffs in their 28th year, there has yet to be an instance in which two teams from the same conference have been in the championship game.

blackfordpu
December 3rd, 2005, 06:39 PM
I thought there were rules in place to keep this from happening?

igo4uni
December 3rd, 2005, 06:40 PM

East Coast bias!!!!! :D :D :D :D

blukeys
Well...once again the teams in the title game will be from different conferences. It's really kind of remarkable that, with I-AA playoffs in their 28th year, there has yet to be an instance in which two teams from the same conference have been in the championship game.

Agreed and I also think it is remarakable that again a No. 1 seed will not be the NC.

FCS_pwns_FBS
Georgia Southern was an independant in 1985 and 1988. Just thought I'd throw that out there, before someone mentions it.

JohnStOnge
December 3rd, 2005, 06:41 PM
No. In fact if New Hampshire and Richmond had both won today the possibilitiy would still be alive. All it takes is to have two teams from the same conference in different brackets. This year it could've happened with Southern Conference, A-10, or Gateway teams in opposite brackets.

rokamortis
December 3rd, 2005, 06:42 PM

Teams from the same conference can't play each other in the first round, after that they can.

blukeys

the only rule I know of is that conference teams can't meet in the first round

blackfordpu
No. In fact if New Hampshire and Richmond had both won today the possibilitiy would still be alive. All it takes is to have two teams from the same conference in different brackets. This year it could've happened with Southern Conference, A-10, or Gateway teams in opposite brackets.

Oh, well what do you know. I learned something new today. :)

igo4uni
December 3rd, 2005, 06:43 PM
the only rule I know of is that conference teams can't meet in the first round

Yep, after the first round, all bets are off.

blukeys
December 3rd, 2005, 06:43 PM
Georgia Southern was an independant in 1985 and 1988. Just thought I'd throw that out there, before someone mentions it.

does the SoCon claim your titles for those years?

Tod
December 3rd, 2005, 06:47 PM
does the SoCon claim your titles for those years?

No, they don't. They claim five (2 for GSU, 2 for Marshall, and 1 for Furman).

Ronbo
December 3rd, 2005, 08:37 PM

Big Sky always gets put in the same bracket so how could we ever have a matchup in the finals?

eaglesrthe1
December 3rd, 2005, 08:48 PM
Big Sky always gets put in the same bracket so how could we ever have a matchup in the finals?

It helps your chances if you have three teams from the conference in the field. Also, as long as Montana is a shoo in for a first round home game, thus they won't travel... it reduces the odds since they won't ever be put in the East bracket. It would cost the NCAA too many $$$.

JohnStOnge
December 3rd, 2005, 08:55 PM

I don't know about that but I don't remember too many times when one Big Sky team was eliminated by another. In fact, if I didn't miss something looking at the I-AA history thing at I-AA.org, the last time one Big Sky team was eliminated by another was in 1990 when Nevada eliminated Boise State. And during that year there was a Big Sky team in the other bracket (Idaho) but the Vandals were eliminated by Georgia Southern in the quarterfinals.

Turns out there may have been a really good chance for a one conference final that year because Idaho gave Georgia Southern its best game...losing 28-27 at Stateboro. After that Georgia Southern waxed Central Florida 44-7 in the semifinal then thumped Nevada 36-13 in the championship game.

89Hen
December 3rd, 2005, 09:14 PM
No. In fact if New Hampshire and Richmond had both won today the possibilitiy would still be alive. All it takes is to have two teams from the same conference in different brackets.
Last year too. Could have been JMU vs. UNH if both advanced that far.

89Hen
December 3rd, 2005, 09:16 PM
Most of the time, yes, but in 2000 Portland State came to UD who was the #2 seed, Montana was the #1, so they were in opposite brackets. With regionalization though you are correct.

Retro
December 3rd, 2005, 09:57 PM
This year it could've happened with Southern Conference, A-10, or Gateway teams in opposite brackets.

It could've happened with the Southland Conference also.. Remember, Nicholls played in the furman bracket! :read:

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2005, 10:09 PM
It nearly happened in 2000. Georgia Southern beat Delaware in the semifinals and Appalachian State came within a tipped pass in the back of the end zone of beating Montana in a great game that the Griz won in OT.

TheValleyRaider
December 4th, 2005, 01:09 AM
It may not have happened in I-AA, but last year's Frozen Four (NCAA Ice Hockey) saw all 4 teams (Denver, Colorado College, Minnesota, North Dakota) from one conference, the WCHA.

The crowing from their fans on the USCHO.com board was obscene :bang:

Although, back in 1999 (I think it was), Hockey East had 3/4, and both teams in the Championship game. Guess it's more likely when there's only 4 or so conferences for the sport.