PDA

View Full Version : College Football Publications

Cobblestone
June 12th, 2009, 01:20 PM
I was in Barnes and Noble yesterday and had to page through a few of them before I found something that had any mention of FCS. Kudos to The Sporting News for at least giving us some amount of press; not that it was a generous amount of coverage but at least it was something.

Anybody else find anything on the news stand about FCS?

SideLine Shooter
June 12th, 2009, 02:04 PM
I was in Barnes and Noble yesterday and had to page through a few of them before I found something that had any mention of FCS. Kudos to The Sporting News for at least giving us some amount of press; not that it was a generous amount of coverage but at least it was something.

I'm afraid we are victims of all the cutbacks in journalism and publications. Our local newspaper has gone from a daily to 3-times a week and about half the size. The Charlotte (liberal fish wrap) is less than half its size of 6 months ago. Everybody has had to really cut back. Layoffs in the print media is terrible. Sad, really sad.

smallcollegefbfan
June 12th, 2009, 03:07 PM

Lindy's had some information and Phil Steele will be out in newsstands here in a few weeks. Those are the only others that are printed and put in newsstands that you can pick up. CSN puts out a free PDF that you can download. I don't know the date of it. I am guessing it will come out in August or late July. I have no inside information there and you would have to ask TT, SE, or someone else who has something to do with the production of it.

apaladin
June 12th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Lindy's had some information and Phil Steele will be out in newsstands here in a few weeks. Those are the only others that are printed and put in newsstands that you can pick up. CSN puts out a free PDF that you can download. I don't know the date of it. I am guessing it will come out in August or late July. I have no inside information there and you would have to ask TT, SE, or someone else who has something to do with the production of it.

The Sporting News has the best coverage so far. A FULL page on each conference.
Street and Smith is not out yet but usually has pretty good FCS coverage. I saw Phil Steele's mag today and there is no mention of FCS. Does he have another edition coming out?

smallcollegefbfan
June 12th, 2009, 09:09 PM
The Sporting News has the best coverage so far. A FULL page on each conference.
Street and Smith is not out yet but usually has pretty good FCS coverage. I saw Phil Steele's mag today and there is no mention of FCS. Does he have another edition coming out?

S&S was bought out by Sporting News. If you look at the format of it there are lots of similarities to the old S&S.

Phil Steele is putting FCS in his ACC/Big East Regional Magazine.

RichH2
June 12th, 2009, 09:39 PM
For the Northeast Athlon Big East issue is the best

jmu_duke07
June 12th, 2009, 10:17 PM

Saying "liberal media" is redundant... however, off the politics, I think the cut backs have to do with the availabilty of the info. I can get free information of the net as easily, if not, easier than I can subscribing to the local paper.

BossEagle
June 13th, 2009, 08:46 AM

I read the same publication as you about a week ago in a Books a Million. So-So coverage on FCS, terrific coverage on Richmond and ASU.

catamount man
June 13th, 2009, 09:20 AM
how did s&s predict the SoCon for 2009? please post.

smallcollegefbfan
June 13th, 2009, 10:52 AM
I read the same publication as you about a week ago in a Books a Million. So-So coverage on FCS, terrific coverage on Richmond and ASU.

I have no idea. I am just asking so don't think I am trying to be a jerk here. Did they do the same for GSU or anyone else when they won the NC or have these mags just started slanting towards the NC since ASU and Richmond won them?

smallcollegefbfan
June 13th, 2009, 10:53 AM

It is Sportingnews now. S&S merged and no longer has the name.

WMTribe90
June 13th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Saying "liberal media" is redundant... however, off the politics, I think the cut backs have to do with the availabilty of the info. I can get free information of the net as easily, if not, easier than I can subscribing to the local paper.

Not to get off topic, but online content can not replace your local newspaper. You are not going to find coverage on local politics, HS sports, or other local issues online. World and national news sure, you don't need a paper for that. But when we lose local papers we are less informed of what is going on in our communities and its harder to hold local politicians to account. Sorry for the hijack.

colorless raider
June 14th, 2009, 03:09 PM
It is Sportingnews now. S&S merged and no longer has the name.

I am glad to know that as I could not find Street and Smith last year and have always bought it. It was a tradition and I do miss it.:D

BossEagle
June 14th, 2009, 04:47 PM
I have no idea. I am just asking so don't think I am trying to be a jerk here. Did they do the same for GSU or anyone else when they won the NC or have these mags just started slanting towards the NC since ASU and Richmond won them?

I'd have no idea as i wasn't even born during half of GSU's NC's, and this is the 1st sporting news mag i've read, i would assume they would though.

smallcollegefbfan
June 14th, 2009, 05:41 PM
I'd have no idea as i wasn't even born during half of GSU's NC's, and this is the 1st sporting news mag i've read, i would assume they would though.

It was all App before Richmond won the NC and now that they won the NC they are getting the coverage as well. My guess is that this year's NC will get most of the press as well.

BossEagle
June 14th, 2009, 06:12 PM
It was all App before Richmond won the NC and now that they won the NC they are getting the coverage as well. My guess is that this year's NC will get most of the press as well.

Well uh, i know that. Just sayin not as much coverage on all top 25 FCS teams as with the FBS. Was still a good overall read in the mag..xnodx

WCU LawCat
June 14th, 2009, 06:19 PM

Western 8th. Made mention of us blowing the GSU game last year and stated we would be improved...same old same old order of finish from the media.

scotte303
June 14th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Unfortunately, I just think in general most of the "hard copy" news stand stuff is going away because of web based publications. Anyhow, I did find this site which you probably have seen.
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/

Uncle Buck
June 15th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Not to get off topic, but online content can not replace your local newspaper. You are not going to find coverage on local politics, HS sports, or other local issues online. World and national news sure, you don't need a paper for that. But when we lose local papers we are less informed of what is going on in our communities and its harder to hold local politicians to account. Sorry for the hijack.

Unless your local paper is Newsday, they do a terrible job covering the Long Island college sports scene.

ngineer
June 15th, 2009, 08:29 PM
I am glad to know that as I could not find Street and Smith last year and have always bought it. It was a tradition and I do miss it.:D

Yes, S&S was a tradition with me for 20 years. I miss it too. Couldn't even find the 'replacement' at our bookstore last year.

bkrownd
June 15th, 2009, 09:23 PM
You are not going to find coverage on local politics, HS sports, or other local issues online.

Huh? The internet is the perfect medium for local news, sports, social stuff, etc coverage. I always keep up with the Nebraska, Minnesota and Western Mass high school hockey and football on the internet, and I don't even have to be in North America to do it!

GOODY26
June 17th, 2009, 08:31 AM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5

Here is a link for a football publication that cover FCS exclusive

andy7171
June 17th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Hey Cobble, next time take some pictures for the rest of us.