PDA

View Full Version : UNH Fan Behavior

D1B
December 3rd, 2005, 05:14 PM
No smack here. Just reporting the facts:

UNH fans behind Panther bench chanted "Purple Panther Faggots". That's not good. Also fans chanting "Purple Pussies". That's also too bad. :rolleyes:

What's also bad was the children under 10 years old doing the same. That's not good too. :rolleyes:

Blue42
December 3rd, 2005, 06:31 PM
Punks who got punked. That's all that is.

Granite
December 4th, 2005, 07:53 AM

UNH fans behind Panther bench chanted "Purple Panther Faggots". That's not good. Also fans chanting "Purple Pussies". That's also too bad. :rolleyes:

What's also bad was the children under 10 years old doing the same. That's not good too. :rolleyes:

Of course its bad. We had some bad fans - you kind of made your point. Sorry for the idiots who didn't represent well. But just what, exactly, are you trying to prove by continually posting the same thing, over and over again? You guys won, you deserved to win, and you have a damn good chance of getting to Chattanooga. But this constant berating of all things UNH (and to some extent, the Northeast) needs to stop.

Seriously, if SOME UNH fans were bad in our loss, SOME (definitely not all) Panther fans here look like they've never won a playoff game before.

In case you missed it, there have been several of us here who have been very complimentary of UNI, and who took the time to hang out with UNI fans before the game.

PantherMan
December 4th, 2005, 08:19 AM
Of course its bad. So we had some bad fans - you kind of made your point. Sorry for the idiots who didn't represent well. But just what, exactly, are you trying to prove by continually posting the same thing, over and over again? You guys won, you deserved to win, and you have a damn good chance of getting to Chattanooga. But this constant berating of all things UNH (and to some extent, the Northeast) needs to stop.

Seriously, if SOME UNH fans were bad in our loss, SOME (definitely not all) Panther fans here look like they've never won a playoff game before.

In case you missed it, there have been several of us here who have been very complimentary of UNI, and who took the time to hang out with UNI fans before the game.

I agree, I think the topic has run it's course. But I think the fact that Panther fans have expressed concerns over the crowd at UNH speaks to how many games we have played in during the playofs, and in tough environments; not the opposite. When a team's fans that have been to such environments as Delaware, Montana, Iowa, Iowa State, etc. to name a few says a school has a problem with fan behavior in general, they probably do. That doesn't mean that individual's like you aren't some of the "good guys" when it comes to fans. Northeasterners have long been seen as rude by others from around the country. Are you all? Heck no! But in general, I'm not sure that even good guys like you that live there could honestly argue this fact. Congratulations to UNH on a great season, and I wish you all the luck in the world next season (as if you'll need it with Santos and Ball... :rolleyes: ) Hopefully in the future, you guys will get a chance to visit the Dome! :hurray:

Granite
December 4th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Congratulations to UNH on a great season, and I wish you all the luck in the world next season (as if you'll need it with Santos and Ball... :rolleyes: ) Hopefully in the future, you guys will get a chance to visit the Dome! :hurray:

Thanks. Definitely have an empty feeling today (can't imagine what our players feel). But we are set up to contend again next year, so at least we can take that away as a positive, and maybe losing a playoff game at home in the quarterfinals is the extra motivation this team needs to come back and take the next step next year.

Seriously, it sucks that a contingent of UNH fan couldn't match the class of the players on the field, but the bandwagon definitely gets bigger this time of year.

Good luck next week! :hurray:

Uncle Buck
December 4th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Thank you Grantite, very well said after this UNH bashing is starting to get old. I have been up to UNH before and everyone I encountered was great. Bad fans are everywhere and I am certain you could also find them at N. Iowa games as well. Hell, i've found them at Georgia Southern, Delaware, UMass, Richmond, JMU, Furman, Cal Poly...almost too many to recall. I have also found a number of great fans at those places as well, take it with a grain of salt. Their generalizations are absurd.

As for the L...Tough game, I thought and you did move the ball on them at will, just got killed with turnovers at bad times. And Ball, the kid is amazing, that one handed grab that he made, unbelievable.

newsbreaker
December 4th, 2005, 08:52 AM
It's not really "bashing" if it's true guys, especially if they're being careful to point out that it was 'some' fans and not 'all.'

If anything, hopefully it will be reason enough for the many great UNH fans to get on these idiots next year, and pressure them to stop such childishness.

UNH had a great team...maybe next year we can meet again at our place!

Granite
December 4th, 2005, 08:56 AM
It's not really "bashing" if it's true guys, especially if they're being careful to point out that it was 'some' fans and not 'all.'

If anything, hopefully it will be reason enough for the many great UNH fans to get on these idiots next year, and pressure them to stop such childishness.

UNH had a great team...maybe next year we can meet again at our place!

Its not the bashing, its just that the point has been made (over and over again). Enjoy the win, and good luck next week.

Granite
December 4th, 2005, 09:01 AM
As for the L...Tough game, I thought and you did move the ball on them at will, just got killed with turnovers at bad times. And Ball, the kid is amazing, that one handed grab that he made, unbelievable.

I said it yesterday - turnovers and our lack of ability to get it done on 3rd and especially 4th downs (1-7 yesterday) killed us. Coach Mac said as much in the postgame. The UNI defense definitely stepped up on 3rd and 4th down, and we make some uncharacteristic mistakes. UNI has a good team, and won on the road. Good for them - there were 2 good football teams on the field yesterday, and one of them advanced. Playoff football at its best (even though we were on the short end yesterday).

Uncle Buck
December 4th, 2005, 09:15 AM

I haven't read ALL of the UNI posts complaining about the UNH fans, but I did recall one of them mentioned the entire east coast. Either way, it was a good UNI win, enjoy it and get ready for Texas State, there might be some rowdies down there as well. :smiley_wi

D1B
December 4th, 2005, 10:25 AM
I haven't read ALL of the UNI posts complaining about the UNH fans, but I did recall one of them mentioned the entire east coast. Either way, it was a good UNI win, enjoy it and get ready for Texas State, there might be some rowdies down there as well. :smiley_wi

Yeah, and I made that statement and it was retracted publicly. It was also confirmed by an east coaster in a post too. Include all the facts in your posts next time. SMFH

Tribe4SF
December 4th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Good grief, this is still being talked about? :boring:

Maybe I should start one on the Furman fans who kept screaming "Richmond Sucks" at that game last night. Then after I generate a hundred or so so posts, I can qualify that it was not all Furman fans, and then get defensive when my original post is quoted. Won't that be fun? :beerchug:

Grow up!!!

(By the way, the Furman fans were great! Even the crew screaming "Richmond Sucks". After some banter, they and some Spider fans ended up talking about duck decoys, and watching the game together.)

D1B
December 4th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Good grief, this is still being talked about? :boring:

Maybe I should start one on the Furman fans who kept screaming "Richmond Sucks" at that game last night. Then after I generate a hundred or so so posts, I can qualify that it was not all Furman fans, and then get defensive when my original post is quoted. Won't that be fun? :beerchug:

Grow up!!!

(By the way, the Furman fans were great! Even the crew screaming "Richmond Sucks". After some banter, they and some Spider fans ended up talking about duck decoys, and watching the game together.)

Jesus Tribe reread your post and compare it to Rob's "just to clarify". Ain't the same at all. Paint a rosy picture all you want but there it is.

Bronco
December 4th, 2005, 11:43 AM
That's what it's like in Bozeman. Fans cheer against the visiting team instead of for your own...very strange.
They also have the obscene cheers that aren't family friendly.
I believe it's anger that has festered for years.

Doesn't sound very PC for a NE team.

shakdaddy3
December 4th, 2005, 11:52 AM
i don't think the fans heckeling the players is that big of a deal... it is part of the game even if you don't agree with what they are saying. i have heard WAY worse things than the word faggot. the best players just laugh at it and dont even worry about it, and that's what you panther fans should be doing -- laughing about it, enjoying the victory, and moving on just like u are in the playoffs...

WildcatFan
December 4th, 2005, 12:04 PM
D1B - were you even at the game. I have no doubt that there were "some" rude fans but I would love you to point out any stadium (with maybe the exception of Montana) that does not have some rude student fans. I was at the game yesterday and I apologize to anyone that was given a hard time. Honestly though - I did not see anyone being hassled. I have however put up with rude student fans in every stadium I have been in. I'm sure you "never" have that problem in the Dome.

bandl
December 4th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Every school has great fans, every school has *****ty fans. The majority of the time in my experience, most fans lie in the 'great' category...occasionally, that proportion shifts a bit to the '*****ty' side.

I don't think anyone should take those *****ty UNH fans to represent the UNH fanbase as a whole...and especially not the state of NH, the northeast or the east coast (because that is taking things MORE THAN A BIT too far).

Enough said.

Umass74
December 4th, 2005, 01:06 PM
I've been to numerous UNH games in the last 35 years wearing my UMass colors. No one has ever hassled me.

FWIW, I think winning brings out bad behavior in some fans (i.e. newbies). As you may have noticed, there were a lot of new UNH posters here.

You should go to a hockey game, if you really want to hear some abuse :D

PantherMan
December 4th, 2005, 01:36 PM
I've been to numerous UNH games in the last 35 years wearing my UMass colors. No one has ever hassled me.

FWIW, I think winning brings out bad behavior in some fans (i.e. newbies). As you may have noticed, there were a lot of new UNH posters here.

You should go to a hockey game, if you really want to hear some abuse :D

I think you hit the nail on the head. Success brings out the idiots. The true fans; the ones that went to the games when the team was struggling, aren't the troublemakers. I think that this might be the problem up in N.H. Now that the school has a successful program establishing itself, it will be up to the Administration and staff to stay after the idiots.

OL FU
December 4th, 2005, 01:43 PM

They learned it from GSU last year :D

mainejeff
December 4th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Another thread on this topic? :rolleyes:

eaglesrthe1
December 4th, 2005, 02:05 PM
Say it often enough, then it becomes truth. :smiley_wi

Granite
December 4th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Another thread on this topic? :rolleyes:

My point exactly. This horse is dead.

Grizo406
December 4th, 2005, 06:59 PM
. I have no doubt that there were "some" rude fans but I would love you to point out any stadium (with maybe the exception of Montana) that does not have some rude student fans.

Nothing will ruin game day quicker than a rude, obnoxious, drunk, a$$hole fan...NOTHING.

We're lucky...we have 23,000 plus angels for fans at just about every Griz home game. And when the Mecca/Cathedral of I-AA football is your home, it's supposed to be that way. http://www.egriz.com/GrizBoard/images/smiles/liar.gif

All teams have the bad ones. It's gets posted, ad nauseum, every season.

I can't blame the people that report on other fan's behavior, if I ran into these types of people, my post count would increase dramatically because I've come to a place to have a good time, shoot the **** with friends, try to get a few phone numbers, and drink some beer...and then some di*ckhead wants to show his a$$, make his school look bad, and ruin my day because he's had 2 drinks?

Not gonna' happen, but if it did, rest assured the Grizo would report it.

IMO, these stories should be told.

D1B
December 4th, 2005, 07:40 PM
posted on another thread, by someone who was at the game:

The whole UNH fan topic is not "a few fans".

We got into town around 4pm Friday and by 8pm the morons were in abundance.

We went to eat at Warren's in Maine and some idiot dug deep into his book of Karate Kid quotes and pulled out "Good luck tomorrow, you're going to need it."

Within 30 mins we were on Market St. in Portsmoth.

Less than a minute into the first bar..."Why the f@#% are you guys here, you're going to lose like 55-7. Go home"

the 2nd bar was no different.

When we got to the hotel room I was bummed. I decided to hold out for tailgaiting because I was sure it was a small percentage of fans that were intelligent.

That brings us to tailgaiting. Right away UNI fans were greeeted with booing, quotes like "get the f%$@ out of here and other random trash.

Next we met Granite. Granite is a good man. We also tailgaited next to some great fans who were very nice. Some UNH AD office workers also stopped to chat.

Went into the stadium and had a great chat with a few fans.

Game starts.

We score. Chants of "purple panther pussies begin".

We go up 21-0. I go to the bathroom(on the visitor side). A group of 10 students(from a team down 21 points), starts yelling "f*%$ you, purple faggots, purple panther pussies, etc".

I responded with, "Can't you guys read a scoreboard, you have a good team, show some class."

Same thing on the way back to the bathroom.

Students and elementary age kids are walking in front of our section all game stopping and yelling "UNI sucks, go home, and a ton of other moronic statements."

The students who heckled me also went down to the fence around the track and yelled stuff at our players on the sideline.

All of this on top of the idiots who decided to make a huge banner which was to the effect of:

"The pampered panthers and then som moronic statements about needing our dome and having no chance of winning".

As reported, after the game 4 students drove up in a jeep and yelled "nice flag faggot". after a quick response from cap'n cat they slammed on the brakes, thought about getting out, but then quickly left.

To all the great UNH fans. Kick these people in the A$$ when you see this crap going on at your games. maybe even throw in a b%$#^ slap.

The Wildcat coaches and players are great. Great team, great sportsmanship.

Don't let the dorm room morons ruin your schools reputation.

blukeys
December 4th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Sounds as if UNH has not learned how to deal with their success. I have seen this in high school and college ball when I have been an usher / chaperone. Successful teams attract the dregs of humanity and only a tough no compromising approach to these losers works.

Fans who care about a good family atmosphere at games need to step up. Ushers at UD games appear to be a million years old but they are very good at recognizing the bad actors and getting them out of the Stadium IF fans keep them informed.

What's sad is that UNH is a quality program and Sean McConnell is a great coach who tries to do things right. I was hoping for a UNH NC so that some I-A school would throw a bunch of money at McConnell and get his @ss out of the A-10!!! Looks as if we will have to deal with him in 2006!!!! :mad:

RadMann
December 4th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Grizo406: Calling Montana's stadium the best in I-AA is something I'd agree with. Calling it the "Mecca/cathedral" of I-AA football is over the top. There is no such place in I-A football and there is no such place in I-AA football.

PantherMan
December 4th, 2005, 11:09 PM
Grizo406: Calling Montana's stadium the best in I-AA is something I'd agree with. Calling it the "Mecca/cathedral" of I-AA football is over the top. There is no such place in I-A football and there is no such place in I-AA football.

I disagree! There IS a Mecca/Cathedral for IAA; it is a little 20,000 person stadium in the heart of Chattanooga named Finley Stadium. That is definitely the "Mecca" right now. :hurray: I hope to pay homage in a couple of weeks... xprost2x

Grizo406
December 4th, 2005, 11:32 PM

Being the pompous, self-absorbed, self-centered, and narcissistic person that I am, I don't think that my reference to Washington/Grizzly as the Mecca/Cathedral of I-AA football is over the top at all...maybe a little Griz fan arrogance, but that's about it.

Sorry you feel it's over the top, but over the top of what?

I look at it as my Chapel during the football season, and I talk with my God there as easily as I talk to him in the off season in other venues. The only time he didn't seem to hear me was in our last game with Cal Poly, and that to me, was over the top. Believe me, had the Griz made it to Chattanooga this year, I would really be bending his ear, and making all kinds of promises.

He has his reasons, and I won't question them despite my cynisismn, and not going to Tennessee this year...I just thank him for having such a nice place to pray from September - November...and for 13 years in a row, has ran into December, and I'll continue to pay the appropriate homage whether you like it or not, or what other people think.

Uncle Buck
December 5th, 2005, 08:06 AM
Yeah, and I made that statement and it was retracted publicly. It was also confirmed by an east coaster in a post too. Include all the facts in your posts next time. SMFH

Just curious, what is SMFH? Should I be insulted? If so, EMDF

Granite
December 5th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Sounds as if UNH has not learned how to deal with their success. I have seen this in high school and college ball when I have been an usher / chaperone. Successful teams attract the dregs of humanity and only a tough no compromising approach to these losers works.

Well, the bandwagon definitely gets bigger this time of year. But I can tell you that in my section at least (season ticket holders, players' families, faculty), there was nothing but respect for UNI. Sounds like most of the problems were in General Admission and with some of the students, which isn't completely surprising. But I seriously don't think that UNH is fundamentally different from any other school at this time of year. Besides, our perspectives get skewed by the few fans from opposing schools that we interact with - I hung out pre-game with Capn Cat and Panther Rob and they seemed to be good guys. But I'll bet I wouldn't have to look very far to find some a-hole UNI fans at the Dome.

BTW, I agree with you about Coach Mac and his coaching staff. Part of what makes them so successful (IMO) is that they have a connection back to UNH - Coach Mac and Coach Kelly both played for Bill Bowes, so there is a continuity that goes a long way in building a successful program. I was saying this 3 years ago on this board, but people forget that UNH football does have some history of success. They are set up to contend again next season, and I'm hopeful that this success will sustain itself.

PantherMan
December 5th, 2005, 09:19 AM
I hung out pre-game with Capn Cat and Panther Rob and they seemed to be good guys. But I'll bet I wouldn't have to look very far to find some a-hole UNI fans at the Dome.

Actually you probably would struggle to find many "a-hole fans" at the UNI-Dome. Honestly, we are as loud as anyone, but it is to support our team, not make childish attempts to bring down the other. NOW, if UNH was to come to the Dome next year, would they receive the same treatment that most schools enjoy? I couldn't promise that after what happened in 'Hampshire this weekend... xprost2x

WMTribe90
December 5th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Actually you probably would struggle to find many "a-hole fans" at the UNI-Dome. Honestly, we are as loud as anyone, but it is to support our team, not make childish attempts to bring down the other. NOW, if UNH was to come to the Dome next year, would they receive the same treatment that most schools enjoy? I couldn't promise that after what happened in 'Hampshire this weekend...

I've played in the Dome as a visiting player. The place is loud and the majority of your fans were classy, but you certainly had your fair share of a-holes on that day.

I've also played a UNH. What fans they did have at the time were very classy. Its a shame the band-wagon jumpers at UNH don't know how to handle success or defeat and gave the die-hards a black eye on Saturday. Every school has these type of fans, some have a few more than others. Good fnas need to make a stand when they witness bad behavior and poor sportsmanship.

Hansel
December 5th, 2005, 09:58 AM
Just curious, what is SMFH? Should I be insulted? If so, EMDF
shakin my f'ing head

EMDF = eat my dick face?

UNI MadCat
December 5th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Actually you probably would struggle to find many "a-hole fans" at the UNI-Dome. Honestly, we are as loud as anyone, but it is to support our team, not make childish attempts to bring down the other. NOW, if UNH was to come to the Dome next year, would they receive the same treatment that most schools enjoy? I couldn't promise that after what happened in 'Hampshire this weekend... xprost2x

C'mon guys. It's saying things like this that make us look like a niave school from the cornfields in Iowa. Guess what, WE DO have a-hole fans. Just because you dont know anybody and everyone you know is great, that doesn't mean we dont. In general, its good that you dont. It means you are a good person and you hang out with good people, but, please, its college athletics and this is the time of year when emotions are running at their highest.

I dont think I need to supply any more proof against your point about UNI fans than mentioning two words: Macs Maniacs.

But, for those of you not familiar with UNI, I'll explain. This is our student section for basketball. The Maniacs came to fruition when Greg McDermott became coach at UNI. The Maniacs are just that, and are strategically placed RIGHT BEHIND the opposing team's bench as to be some cause of distraction. And guess what... ITS PERFECTLY FINE!! Personally, I dont want our students to be accomodating, as long as its kept within reason. But even there things get out of hand every once in awhile. The one thing I've noticed though is that as the Maniacs have grown in size, they've begun to self-police themselves. If someone's comments get out of hand, a more senior Maniacker will "discipline", if you will. It's actually very cool. So, again, lets not go off thinking that we're perfect, because we aren't. If its truly was as bad as UNI fans that were out in NH are making it out to be, then lets hope that UNH students will begin to "self-police" themselves as the team continues to achieve success on the field and garners more support in the stands.

Read posts by Maniac members on PN or VT message boards and you will see that their main goal is to rattle the opposing team. I've often seen members freely admit that they've yelled things that are less than complimentary. And I've FREQUENTLY seen fans from WSU, Creighton, Drake, etc complain and over-generalize our fans as jerks just b/c of a few idiots in the Maniac section. But in general, its GREAT to have this kind of support and atmosphere. I dont expect our fans to be that gracious and accomodating tomorrow when UNI kicks Iowa's butt on the hardwood either.

I feel bad posting something against my UNI brethren here (and on PN) but with all these posts we seriously look like we don't get out much. This stuff happens everywhere. Take it as a compliment. Jerk fans (that constitute about 1% of the entire population but become 100% b/c of boards like these) are jerks b/c you brought something to the table that causes them concern. If UNI were the little sisters of the poor the opposition wouldn't care enough to yell things at our fans.

Take it as a testament to what UNI has achieved in both football and basketball that other schools are hating on us and that other schools consider our facilities to be intimidating places to play.

blukeys
December 5th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Well, the bandwagon definitely gets bigger this time of year. But I can tell you that in my section at least (season ticket holders, players' families, faculty), there was nothing but respect for UNI. Sounds like most of the problems were in General Admission and with some of the students, which isn't completely surprising. But I seriously don't think that UNH is fundamentally different from any other school at this time of year. Besides, our perspectives get skewed by the few fans from opposing schools that we interact with - I hung out pre-game with Capn Cat and Panther Rob and they seemed to be good guys. But I'll bet I wouldn't have to look very far to find some a-hole UNI fans at the Dome.

BTW, I agree with you about Coach Mac and his coaching staff. Part of what makes them so successful (IMO) is that they have a connection back to UNH - Coach Mac and Coach Kelly both played for Bill Bowes, so there is a continuity that goes a long way in building a successful program. I was saying this 3 years ago on this board, but people forget that UNH football does have some history of success. They are set up to contend again next season, and I'm hopeful that this success will sustain itself.

As stated earlier I was hoping for a UNH NC for purely selfish reasons. I was hoping that a I-A school would lure McConnell away from UNH. Now UNH is going to be even more determined and both Santos and ball will be back next year. OH well I guess UD will show up for the game. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Uncle Buck
December 5th, 2005, 05:42 PM
shakin my f'ing head

EMDF = eat my dick face?

Thanks Hansel. Close on EMDF, unless it's a typo. Eat Me Dick Face.

Some of this message board stuff is still new to me. I guess I'll take it back since SMFH is not an insult. ;)

rcny46
December 5th, 2005, 11:46 PM
As stated earlier I was hoping for a UNH NC for purely selfish reasons. I was hoping that a I-A school would lure McConnell away from UNH. Now UNH is going to be even more determined and both Santos and ball will be back next year. OH well I guess UD will show up for the game. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

They'll need that determination.They lose 4 offensive starters,and 8 on Defense,so they will have their work cut out for them.

diznanl
December 6th, 2005, 12:22 AM
No matter what school you go to, bottom line, you're going to have people at the games who will act like complete idiots. They treat the opposing team members and fans like crap.

The good fans welcome the rivalry, at the same time knowing, in their heart of hearts, that their team is always better. They just aren't jerks about it.

You'll find this everywhere. UNH, UNI, EWU, UM, ASU, etc etc etc ... just represent the best you can. And be all you can be, too, if you're into the whole military thing.

PantherRob82
December 6th, 2005, 11:52 AM
my point was that if I heard or saw this kinda stuff going on in the dome I would have them out of there so fast. There was NO UNH workers near the UNI section. 1 cop had the whole east(?) side. If you don';t want this kind of reputation, take care of it.

I have a hard time believing that UNH fans there did not hear the students chanting purple faggots, and if you were on the home side, you would've missed everything else.

UNH is classy. Glad to meet Grantie, members of the coaching staff and the AD.

Would I drive there again? no. would i go there again? yes.

I hope UNH plays somewhere out here so we can cheer them on(obviously not the dome :hurray: )

December 6th, 2005, 12:34 PM
... I hope UNH plays somewhere out here so we can cheer them on(obviously not the dome :hurray: )I think I heard they open the 2006 season at Northwestern!

Hansel
December 6th, 2005, 01:47 PM
I think I heard they open the 2006 season at Northwestern!
Could ralph (gasp) possibly take in a IA game?

December 6th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Could ralph (gasp) possibly take in a IA game?Oh yes, I will attend that I-AA Game! :nod: :nod:

Tailbone
December 6th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Then you'll be watching Northwestern State University!

PantherRob82
December 6th, 2005, 04:57 PM
If we're not in the midwest that day I may have to join you that day to cheer on the UNH Wildcats! :hurray: