PDA

View Full Version : Hard to admit....

Chi Panther
December 3rd, 2005, 03:54 PM
But Pam Ward is the BEST I-AA announcer on ESPN.....and she a great promoter...... :)

Ronbo
December 3rd, 2005, 04:10 PM
I thought ESPN was very complimentary to I-AA last year too. Then I see Ralph let's a thread like "ESPN is a bunch of Idiots." stay on this board. You guys need to learn that honey attracts more flys than vinegar. I emailed Ralph to move that thread to smack and he said that ESPN has done nothing for I-AA and they deserve the hate. Sorry I disagree, they are covering almost all our playoff games.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 3rd, 2005, 04:14 PM
:cool: I love her bashing of the nationwide football fundraising festival (known commonly as the BCS). I take back every mean thing I said about her.

blackfordpu
December 3rd, 2005, 04:23 PM
She has had many mess ups in the TSU-SM/Cal Poly game but she is a great I-AA advocate. :)

rokamortis
December 3rd, 2005, 04:30 PM
I think she has been the best play-by-play person covering the playoffs.

catamount man
December 3rd, 2005, 04:31 PM
I think some credit is due to the ESPN networks for their great coverage of I-AA and Division II playoffs. Someday, I'd love to see them add the D3 playoffs, as well as the NAIA playoffs. FWIW, CSTV will once again carry the NAIA national championship game. Go Carroll College! Go small college football! GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

rokamortis
December 3rd, 2005, 04:32 PM
I thought ESPN was very complimentary to I-AA last year too. Then I see Ralph let's a thread like "ESPN is a bunch of Idiots." stay on this board. You guys need to learn that honey attracts more flys than vinegar. I emailed Ralph to move that thread to smack and he said that ESPN has done nothing for I-AA and they deserve the hate. Sorry I disagree, they are covering almost all our playoff games.

It is interesting how certain things are smack and others are considered ok. Ralph loves CSTV but they haven't done anything for I-AA this year and seem to be moving away from it. They put the I-AA coverage with the D-II, D-III and NAIA on their website.

Mountaineer
December 3rd, 2005, 05:08 PM
I thought the guys calling the App/SIU game did a great job. Very complimentary to ASU, SIU, I-AA, and the playoff system in general. It felt good to hear. xprost2x

ChiefGSU275
December 3rd, 2005, 05:09 PM
ESPN doesnt do more for I-AA b/c the majority of their viewers dont care about I-AA.

GASIUalum
December 3rd, 2005, 08:22 PM
only problem with the SIU/ASU game broadcasters was the fact that Northern Illinois beat New Hampshire

Mountain Panther
December 3rd, 2005, 08:33 PM
only problem with the SIU/ASU game broadcasters was the fact that Northern Illinois beat New Hampshire

Northern Illinois beat UNH? Wow...news to me. Northern IOWA did beat UNH today.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/niwa/galleries/niwa-120305/1-lg.jpg

thirdgendin
December 3rd, 2005, 08:35 PM
Northern Illinois beat UNH? Wow...news to me. Northern IOWA did beat UNH today.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/niwa/galleries/niwa-120305/1-lg.jpg

His point exactly.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 3rd, 2005, 08:36 PM
The CSS announcers kept calling Furman the "Purple Paladins". It was funny the first two times, but it got old after that. (and that'll bring up a 3rd and ten for the purple paladins!"

thirdgendin
December 3rd, 2005, 08:45 PM
The CSS announcers kept calling Furman the "Purple Paladins". It was funny the first two times, but it got old after that. (and that'll bring up a 3rd and ten for the purple paladins!"

For some reason, TV guys have started doing that. We've never been the Purple Paladins.

The Purple Paladins take on the Black Mountaineers while the Maroon Bobcats take on the Purple Panthers.

griz37
December 3rd, 2005, 08:48 PM
I don't know if you guys in the rest of the country get Altitude, it is a station out of Denver. They had the other 3 games on today (not CP/Texas St.) so us folks in Missoula got to watch all 4 I-AA playoff games. A great day for college football!

HiHiYikas
December 3rd, 2005, 09:02 PM
The Purple Paladins take on the Black Mountaineers while the Maroon Bobcats take on the Purple Panthers.

The "Black Mountaineers" live about 90 miles SW of Boone, in Black Mountain.

Killsback
December 3rd, 2005, 09:41 PM
The SIU/APP State announcers kept calling the Salukis the Shalukis...ESPN had shots of the team chaplain early in the game that they thought was coach Kill. Were constantly wrong on what down it was. I personally did not think they were very prepared for the game. They knew x's and o's but personnel was pretty bad overall.

Grizo406
December 4th, 2005, 07:20 PM
But Pam Ward is the BEST I-AA announcer on ESPN.....and she a great promoter...... :)

I could not agree more!

She won the Grizo's heart during the playoff game, last season, against New Hampshire when she said "The Grizzly offense is flawless" on ESPN. Old news, in the past, has nothing to do with this season, history, yada, yada, yada, but it still give me goose bumps to hear it.

Thanks, PW, the Grizo loves ya', baby...call me?!!?
http://bios.espn.com/images/talent/ward_web.jpg?imageManipulation=true&maintainRatio=true&pixelsY=500&pixelsX=100

blukeys
December 4th, 2005, 07:41 PM
I could not agree more!

She won the Grizo's heart during the playoff game, last season, against New Hampshire when she said "The Grizzly offense is flawless" on ESPN. Old news, in the past, has nothing to do with this season, history, yada, yada, yada, but it still give me goose bumps to hear it.

Thanks, PW, the Grizo loves ya', baby...call me?!!?
http://bios.espn.com/images/talent/ward_web.jpg?imageManipulation=true&maintainRatio=true&pixelsY=500&pixelsX=100

Agree totally, she did a great job with the Texas State / Cal Poly game. Can we start an email campaign so she is doing the NC game and not Rod Gilmore who can't say his own name without tripping over his tongue??? :rolleyes:

unialum95
December 4th, 2005, 08:25 PM
The SIU/APP State announcers kept calling the Salukis the Shalukis...ESPN had shots of the team chaplain early in the game that they thought was coach Kill. Were constantly wrong on what down it was. I personally did not think they were very prepared for the game. They knew x's and o's but personnel was pretty bad overall.
The problem with these announcers is that typically they are people trying to break into the "big time" broadcasting and couldn't care less about 1AA or the teams that are playing. The research consists of looking at the roster about 3min before kickoff and assuming that you know everything about the team. I loved the game earlier this year against WKU when UNIs "bruising" back David Horne was contrasted with our "shifty" back Terrance Freeney. :confused: I'm sure Terrance would like to be considered shifty, but I think anyone that has seen him play would probably disagree.

turfdoc
December 4th, 2005, 10:11 PM
Watching the replay of the UNI game I noticed that the color announcer consistently had a hitch or pause between the Northern and Iowa. After the game I realized he was constantly catching himself from saying Northern Illinois. I have always liked PW, she is usually prepared unlike a lot of the people doing games on game plan.

I am amazed at the drop off of skill in announcing that exists. I am sure it is hard to talk about the game for that long without making a few mistakes but the talent drop off is worse than the third team on a MEAC cellar dwellar.

I also hate it when some of the anouncers are amazed by the talent level at I-AA, and then in the same breath turn around and talk about Rice, Mcnair, Warner.

Grizo406
December 5th, 2005, 12:56 AM
Agree totally, she did a great job with the Texas State / Cal Poly game. Can we start an email campaign so she is doing the NC game and not Rod Gilmore who can't say his own name without tripping over his tongue??? :rolleyes:

I do love Pam Ward, and wish her all the best in her career because she's really good at what she does, and I know she's really busy this time of year.

But if Suzy Kolber calls me before she does, and wants to hook up, I'm afraid I'm gonna' have to break another heart...just pick up the damn phone, Pam. Excuse the pun, because none is intended, but how hard can that be?

Area Code is 406, I know you remember the rest, sweet pea.

December 5th, 2005, 04:07 AM
It is interesting how certain things are smack and others are considered ok. Ralph loves CSTV but they haven't done anything for I-AA this year and seem to be moving away from it. They put the I-AA coverage with the D-II, D-III and NAIA on their website.roka,
CSTV has broadcast plenty of I-AA games with far fewer errors than ESPN this year. They get their criticism too. Their I-AA coverage is way better than ESPN's on their website and the coverage has always been in the same place.

Ronbo,
If you think we should not criticize your beloved ESPN for their errors (which is what I wrote you) then you are mistaken. They are covering the playoff games because they have to under their contract with the NCAA. They screw up and we notice.

TexasTerror
December 5th, 2005, 06:52 AM
Ralph,

CSTV is a joke with some of their broadcasters. The two guys that did the SELA-Sam game were having a party in their booth. Only prep was reading the game releases. Butchered the name of SELA calling them 'SOUTHEAST' the entire game. Butchered names throughout the broadcast, but that's what happens when you don't talk to even the SIDs!

What a joke!

DinoDex200
December 5th, 2005, 12:20 PM
I do love Pam Ward, and wish her all the best in her career because she's really good at what she does, and I know she's really busy this time of year.

But if Suzy Kolber calls me before she does, and wants to hook up, I'm afraid I'm gonna' have to break another heart...just pick up the damn phone, Pam. Excuse the pun, because none is intended, but how hard can that be?

Area Code is 406, I know you remember the rest, sweet pea.

Hate to break it to ya, Grizo, but methinks Pam is...oh...how do you say this...um...an Indigo Girls fan?? Yeah, that's it...maybe you could convert her?

On the subject of ESPN reporters, though, I have a strange attraction to Rachel Nichols...I actually find her reporting somewhat annoying...but there is just something about her lips. xsmoochx

griz37
December 5th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Pam Ward is awesome. I loved the job she did during the 2 Griz games last year & she was great again on Saturday. Hopefully we can get her in the booth for the title game & PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE can Heather Mitts do the sideline reporting.

Brent
December 5th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Pam Ward isnt calling this Fridays game (UNI Vs. Tx State) on the ESPN2.

bison95
December 5th, 2005, 02:50 PM
On the subject of ESPN reporters, though, I have a strange attraction to Rachel Nichols...I actually find her reporting somewhat annoying...but there is just something about her lips. xsmoochx

Right there with ya. I hate the way she says ESPN when signing off, and she does seem pretty annoying, and not overly attractive, yet every time I see her I envision her voice going hummmmmmmmmmmmmm.

blur2005
December 5th, 2005, 05:42 PM

You know, I've had the same thought. It's weird.

claydus
December 5th, 2005, 06:01 PM
"Georgia Southern Golden Eagles"

"Georgia State Eagles"

"Spread Option"

Yeah...... great announcer

bobcatfan06
December 5th, 2005, 06:19 PM
You know, I've had the same thought. It's weird.

Put me on that list, too. Something about the red hair and lips. :hurray:

And if anyone watches Mythbusters, Carrie on that show does the same thing to me. :smiley_wi

edit: This is in response to the Rachel Nichols comment.

JohnStOnge
December 5th, 2005, 06:30 PM

I do think that there has been a trend toward ESPN being more and more positive toward I-AA. That's especially true when they're actually covering I-AA playoff games. I really got a kick out of...I guess it was Pam Ward...the female ESPN TV person repeatedly calling the Cal Poly/Texas State game a "Division I" quarterfinal. They also were very positive about the talent level on each team, I thought.

Next thing they need to start doing, though, is quit uniformly talking about I-AAs as absolute cupcakes when they do I-A games. When they do I-A games I do think that when the subject of I-AA comes up they do it more in the negative "They played a I-AA" vein. I would like it if there were more attention to the fact that one team's I-AA opponent could be tougher than another team's I-A opponent.