PDA

View Full Version : Phil Steele Magazine Thread

Pages : [1] 2

smallcollegefbfan
May 20th, 2009, 10:31 AM
They are already announcing their top 40 FBS and I know they are working on their FCS preview. It will be in the ACC/Big East Regional this year due to more teams from FCS in that area but will still put the Big Sky and Great West, from what I am told, in the Pac-10 Regional. You can go here to order the ACC/Big East and/or Pac-10 Regional and others at their website. www.philsteele.com (http://www.philsteele.com)

jmufan999
May 20th, 2009, 01:26 PM
total tease of a thread title.

smallcollegefbfan
May 20th, 2009, 01:30 PM
total tease of a thread title.

LOL. Yeah I thought so too. xthumbsupx

Syntax Error
May 20th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Is SmallCollegeFBFan affiliated with it?

smallcollegefbfan
June 7th, 2009, 12:27 AM
http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/DailyBlog.html

I thought I would post that link because he mentions that he is currently going through the FCS teams and making his projections. Looking forward to seeing who he picks in the top 5.

jmufan999
June 8th, 2009, 09:11 AM
i'm going to guess he goes...
1. ASU
2. UR
3. Nova
4. Weber State
5. Montana

i think the Weber State one will be the top 5 surprise... when you've got as good of a QB/RB combo as they do, they will be tough this year.

jonmac
June 8th, 2009, 10:07 AM
1. ASU
2. UR
3. Nova
4. Weber State
5. Montana

i think the Weber State one will be the top 5 surprise... when you've got as good of a QB/RB combo as they do, they will be tough this year.

I think what makes Phil's picks interesting is that he really focuses on where teams will end up at the end of the season. Not just who should be the best right now. He really breaks down schedules and conferences. It almost made me puke last year when he picked JMU to win it all. But he explained it well. And though they did not win it all, they did beat us, dangit, and he was close, as a CAA foe did win it. He also seems to come from the betting side instead of just the fan/stats side. I'm not a big fan of sports betting but those guys, Steele, included, seem to have a pretty good handle on who to pick.

Native
June 8th, 2009, 12:10 PM
1. ASU
2. UR
3. Nova
4. Weber State
5. Montana

xnodx IF! IF! IF! xconfusedx

...IF the offensive line holds up (depth and injuries are a problem)...

...IF the new defense - especially the new linebackers - step up...

...IF the assistant coaching changes work out as well as hoped..

Native
June 8th, 2009, 12:15 PM
http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/DailyBlog.html

I thought I would post that link because he mentions that he is currently going through the FCS teams and making his projections. Looking forward to seeing who he picks in the top 5.

On On Phil's 31 May Daily Blog, he also stated that "...if you are a IAA or FCS fan and is that the complete FCS Guide will be in the ACC/Big East regional this year which is where the majority of the schools are located...."

smallcollegefbfan
June 18th, 2009, 08:17 PM
I was able to obtain an update today from someone I know there and they said it hits newsstands on July 14th. They went to the printers within the last few days. There will be more content this year than in previous years. They passed News Week this week in sales and from what I was told is the #1 magazine in America from last week or this month. That is great news. Hopefully the FCS edition will be the same way! I know the media will have access to copies at the CAA media days, from what I was told, and at the Big South Media Days. You can visit their website at www.philsteele.com

I don't really know anyone on the inside with CSN who would give an update to me that I could post. I am sure, TT, Syntax Error, or someone else who works on the magazine could provide details when they get it.

TexasTerror
June 18th, 2009, 08:30 PM
The last update on the CSN front was that all the articles have gone to the Editor...

smallcollegefbfan
June 18th, 2009, 08:36 PM
The last update on the CSN front was that all the articles have gone to the Editor...

Good to hear! I assume that we will be seeing the CSN PDF here in the next 3-4 weeks then? That sounds like about the same time we will see Phil Steele because I expect it to start leaking out early around July 10th or so.

andy7171
June 19th, 2009, 06:48 AM
I'm gonna have to get new batteries for my digital camera soon.

smallcollegefbfan
June 19th, 2009, 09:21 AM
I'm gonna have to get new batteries for my digital camera soon.

xlolx

Seriously though don't pay attention to that. SE does not do that, I am pretty sure, and he was just seeing what others would say.

andy7171
June 19th, 2009, 09:26 AM
xlolx

Seriously though don't pay attention to that. SE does not do that, I am pretty sure, and he was just seeing what others would say.

I can't believe he does that either. It's completely obsurd. xlolx

smallcollegefbfan
June 23rd, 2009, 06:18 PM
I was surfing their website for the first time in a few days and I saw this link in the blog. http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/June09/DBJune17.html

Here are some of the most interesting tidbits below. I honestly did not know they were the most accurate in preseason picks from last year. If someone could send me the link to last year's CSN preview guide I could get them to plug it in and see if Phil Steele was the most accurate including them. Although, he was likely talking about print magazines only. As you can see below we need to buy this thing so they will put out a FCS only magazine next year!! Yes you heard me FCS MAGAZINE NEXT YEAR!! That is the goal. This is great news for FCS. I have to think people like CSN, TSN, AGS, have laid the groundwork for this type of interest to put out 1 full page for each team and a FCS only magazine for next year!

I also heard that the magazine passed News Week for the most sold magazine in America either last week or for the month, I am not sure. ESPN named the magazine the best you can buy above Sporting News, Lindy's, Athlon, etc. last week as well. Steele also oversees the watch lists for 2 major national awards.

Lindy’s has 4 pages in their national magazine devoted to the FCS. I applaud them for also having two pages in Division II and two more on Division III in their national magazine. The Sporting News which merged with Street and Smiths last year has 18 pages devoted to 1AA or FCS teams, 4 for Division II and 4 for Division III. My ACC/Big East regional magazine has the complete FCS preview in it and that has 136 pages devoted to the FCS. EVERY team has a full half page with the last 3 years results, 2008 statistical leaders that are bold and un-bold showing which players are coming back, the last 5 years statistics, this years schedule and a complete analysis of each teams offense and defense (roughly 750 to 1000 words on each team).

When I said closer than expected in terms of accuracy this past year, I would have expected a blowout win considering the amount of time and information we provided on the FCS. My FCS preview beat out the Sporting News by 5 points and Lindy’s by 8 using the same method for determining accuracy that Stassen.com uses. I was Most accurate in the MEAC, SWAC West, Southland, OVC, Big Sky, Great West and Patriot leagues. Sporting News was most accurate in the SWAC West, NEC, Big Sky, Southern and Big South. Lindy’s was most accurate in the SWAC West (tie with SN), Pioneer Missouri Valley and Ivy. All 3 of the magazines actually had the same forecasts for both the Colonial North and South.

This years ACC/Big East regional magazine with the 136 pages of FCS coverage will be available on newsstands in the ACC/Big East region in 3 to 4 weeks. You can purchase it through our offices for $6.99 plus $2 shipping and handling and we will ship them out the day we get them in our offices (about 2 weeks). Call 1-866-918-7711.

Moving forward with the FCS (1AA), I want to give them a FULL PAGE for each team and possibly a magazine DEVOTED to FCS next year or in 2011. Two things will make this possible. I need to see an interest from fans of the FCS. We actually sold less than 1,000 Pac-10 Regional’s thru our offices last year and that was the regional that had the complete FCS coverage in it (103 pages). I need to see FCS fans step up and show their interest by buying the magazine this year. Also if you own or work for a company that would like to sponsor the magazine we could call it the “Your company Name” Phil Steele’s 2010 FCS (1AA) College Football Preview.

This is the first year that I have done a Most Improved List for the FCS and it will be in the magazine when it comes out.

Here is a link to another blog from a while back that was posted just before this one. http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/June09/DBJune11.html

Tribe4SF
June 23rd, 2009, 08:17 PM
That's an incomplete phone number for their office.

smallcollegefbfan
June 23rd, 2009, 09:07 PM

I found it and put it in my first post. The number is 1-866-918-7711.

GATA
June 23rd, 2009, 09:12 PM

That's because he doesn't really want you to call...

smallcollegefbfan
June 24th, 2009, 12:18 PM
That's because he doesn't really want you to call...

I found out it was just a typo on the page. Here is the number and I put it in my orginal post so everyone can call. Or you could wait and just take pictures of it at Barnes and Noble. Make sure not to tell the people working there or else they will encourage everyone else to do it as well so they don't make any money. :)

1-866-918-7711

Seawolf97
June 24th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Have to get me a copy. Sounds interesting.

slycat
June 24th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Good to hear FCS is getting more national coverage.

apaladin
June 24th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Why would he put last year's FCS preview in the Pac-10 edition?xrotatehx

smallcollegefbfan
June 24th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Why would he put last year's FCS preview in the Pac-10 edition?xrotatehx

They wanted to see if it would help increase sales of it because it was the worst selling of all the regionals but they are still the most bought college football preview magazine out there.

smallcollegefbfan
June 24th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Good to hear FCS is getting more national coverage.

Yes it is!! xthumbsupx

Cobblestone
June 25th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Always good to see us get any kind of publicity. An all FCS magazine? I sure do like the sound of that!

I might have mentioned this before on this board but, I can remember about 10 years (or so) ago a college football publication that was entirely FCS (I-AA), D-II and D-III. The publication was called Dan & Peggy's. The editor was Dan Shonka and he had scouting reports on every team in every conference in all of the above mentioned divisions of college football. There was NO mention of FBS (I-A). The publication was not in magazine form but in newspaper form. I always considered it to be the best publication for FCS football.

Anybody else remember this paper?

ASUG8
June 25th, 2009, 08:01 AM
I got some pics of it from the bookstore xrolleyesx

jmufan999
June 25th, 2009, 08:33 AM
the biggest point to take away from this is that THIS, RIGHT NOW..... THIS is our ONE SHOT to have some decent media exposure. if we F it up, we can forget about anything like this happening again. so buy a copy, buy 2, tell your FCS friends to buy them.... this is our opportunity and we only have ourselves to blame if the perception of national FCS interest wanes.

smallcollegefbfan
June 25th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Always good to see us get any kind of publicity. An all FCS magazine? I sure do like the sound of that!

I might have mentioned this before on this board but, I can remember about 10 years (or so) ago a college football publication that was entirely FCS (I-AA), D-II and D-III. The publication was called Dan & Peggy's. The editor was Dan Shonka and he had scouting reports on every team in every conference in all of the above mentioned divisions of college football. There was NO mention of FBS (I-A). The publication was not in magazine form but in newspaper form. I always considered it to be the best publication for FCS football.

Anybody else remember this paper?

I have heard about some type of paper but never knew who did it or the name of it. I wonder if anyone has a copy? If so, I would love to see it.

smallcollegefbfan
June 25th, 2009, 10:17 AM
the biggest point to take away from this is that THIS, RIGHT NOW..... THIS is our ONE SHOT to have some decent media exposure. if we F it up, we can forget about anything like this happening again. so buy a copy, buy 2, tell your FCS friends to buy them.... this is our opportunity and we only have ourselves to blame if the perception of national FCS interest wanes.

Agreed! If you love FCS, it is time to step up and show it. If there is not a FCS magazine only done by these guys by 2011 then we only have ourselves to blame.

WMTribe90
June 25th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Just ordered mine by phone, $8.99 with shipping, should arrive by late July.

smallcollegefbfan
June 25th, 2009, 11:04 AM

You should get it by mid July because according to the website they are due in stores July 14th.

Speaking of the release of a preview, has anyone with CSN determined a date for the CSN preview guide? I am going to assume by mid July since everything has been sent to the editor. Is that right TT or SE?

UAalum72
June 25th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Shonka says he published his "College Football Preview, a small college magazine" from 1988-97
http://www.ourlads.com/pressreleases.cfm

andy7171
June 25th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Nobody mention the digital pictures story to Phil Steele (if that is his real name) when ordering or supporting his FCS issue idea.

Keep it on the DL!

smallcollegefbfan
June 25th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Nobody mention the digital pictures story to Phil Steele (if that is his real name) when ordering or supporting his FCS issue idea.

Keep it on the DL!

Too late he already knows! The funny thing is that they give out a free copy to the media and with SE being the publisher at CSN he is entitled to a free copy. Why would anyone in the media bring up doing something like that when they never have to buy copies of these magazines?

smallcollegefbfan
June 25th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Shonka says he published his "College Football Preview, a small college magazine" from 1988-97
http://www.ourlads.com/pressreleases.cfm

I have never seen a copy of his magazine but would love to see it.

Here is a link to an article I found on USA Today that mentions this person being named a preseason All-American in the 1996 Dan & Peggy's preview. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/sfc/sfcppp9.htm

Anyone know why they stopped doing the preview?

Cobblestone
June 25th, 2009, 01:28 PM
I have never seen a copy of his magazine but would love to see it.

Here is a link to an article I found on USA Today that mentions this person being named a preseason All-American in the 1996 Dan & Peggy's preview. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/sfc/sfcppp9.htm

Anyone know why they stopped doing the preview?

It seems to me the publication stopped around the time that the internet exploded on to the scene. I guess they didn't want to compete or go online. Too bad, it was a really great publication.

WMTribe90
June 25th, 2009, 01:43 PM
You should get it by mid July because according to the website they are due in stores July 14th.

The lady said they were due back from the printers in mid-July and I assume it will take a day or two to get them in the mail (individual orders) and another couples days to land in my mailbox. Probably land on storeshelves sooner, assuming they ship straight from printers to the retailers.

smallcollegefbfan
June 25th, 2009, 02:09 PM
The lady said they were due back from the printers in mid-July and I assume it will take a day or two to get them in the mail (individual orders) and another couples days to land in my mailbox. Probably land on store shelves sooner, assuming they ship straight from printers to the retailers.

Yeah I know they are expected in stores July 14th. They have a few early copies in their office already and will probably have a bigger shipment by the weekend. I would be surprised if you didn't have yours by July 20th.

Did she say anything about how sales were on it so far? Does it seem like there are a lot of FCS fans ordering?

WMTribe90
June 25th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Yeah I know they are expected in stores July 14th. They have a few early copies in their office already and will probably have a bigger shipment by the weekend. I would be surprised if you didn't have yours by July 20th.

Did she say anything about how sales were on it so far? Does it seem like there are a lot of FCS fans ordering?

Not specifically, but she did ask me how I heard abouth the magazine and I told her I heard, "from Any Given Saturday an FCS dedicated fan site". She didn't sound like she had any idea what I was talking about, but I did tell her I was purchasing the BE/ACC edition specifically for the FCS content. Didn't get the impression that business was brisk.

smallcollegefbfan
June 25th, 2009, 06:43 PM
I will go ahead and warn everyone. I got a sneak peak at the All-America teams a few days ago and they have some head scratchers in there. There are some players that I agree will have big years but how can you not have Andre' Roberts on the 1st team AA? There is no way Ben Jorden of App State is the #2 TE in the nation. I have never even heard of the Butler DL they listed.

smallcollegefbfan
June 25th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Here is the top 40. Can a Moderator fix the thread title to say Phil Steele's FCS Top 40?

1. Appalachian St
2. Villanova
3. Southern Illinois
4. Montana
5. Richmond
6. Northern Iowa
7. Hofstra
8. Elon
9. James Madison
10. Mcneese St
11. Jacksonville St
12. William & Mary
13. Holy Cross
14. Wofford
15. Eastern Washington
16. North Dakota St
17. South Carolina St
18. Youngstown St
19. Massachusetts
20. South Dakota St
21. Weber St
22. New Hampshire
23. Harvard
24. UC Davis
25. Grambling St
26. San Diego
27. Gardner-Webb
28. Furman
29. Cal Poly
30. Montana St
31. Georgia Southern
32. Illinois St
33. E Illinois
34. The Citadel
35. Central Arkansas
36. Penn
37. Lafayette
38. Florida A&M
39. Northern Arizona
40. Albany

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 25th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Here is the top 40 in their preview.

1. Appalachian St
2. Villanova
3. Southern Illinois
4. Montana
5. Richmond
6. Northern Iowa
7. Hofstra
8. Elon
9. James Madison
10. Mcneese St
11. Jacksonville St
12. William & Mary
13. Holy Cross
14. Wofford
15. Eastern Washington
16. North Dakota St
17. South Carolina St
18. Youngstown St
19. Massachusetts
20. South Dakota St
21. Weber St
22. New Hampshire
23. Harvard
24. UC Davis
25. Grambling St
26. San Diego
27. Gardner-Webb
28. Furman
29. Cal Poly
30. Montana St
31. Georgia Southern
32. Illinois St
33. E Illinois
34. The Citadel
35. Central Arkansas
36. Penn
37. Lafayette
38. Florida A&M
39. Northern Arizona
40. Albany

xconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedx

smallcollegefbfan
June 25th, 2009, 07:07 PM
xconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedx

I said the same thing. I don't see them being a top 25 team at all. One thing I will point out to everyone is that I use to say things like that 10 years ago when I would pick up the magazine and think it was a joke but they have been the most accurate over the last 10 years. One thing interesting I will point out is that they only predict LB Luke Bonus and WR Aaron Weaver to be All-CAA and we all know that if they finished in the top 10 they would have more than 2 players on the All-CAA teams.

smallcollegefbfan
June 25th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Now, if you thought Hofstra and some others were head scratchers in the top 25 wait until you see this list. I bolded players that I thought were possibly overrated. Many of them are good players but for example at WR I think the top 3 are Roberts, Hudgins, and Mariani. I probably would have put Poots and Stewart on the 2nd team along with Toone or Simonds.

1ST TEAM OFFENSE
QB Armanti Edwards Appalachian St
RB Toddrick Pendland McNeese St
RB Trevyn Smith Weber St
RB David Sinsi Monmouth
WR Juamorris Stewart Southern
WR Tysson Poots Southern Utah
WR Terrell Hudgins Elon
TE Scott Sicko New Hampshire
C Kyle Mutcher Weber St
OG Matthew McCracken Richmond
OG David Harrison Elon
OT Austin Howard Northern Iowa
OT Vladimir Ducasse Massachusetts

1ST TEAM DEFENSE
DL Austen Lane Murray St
DL Larry Hart Central Arkansas
DL Adrian Tracy William & Mary
DL James Ruffin Northern Iowa
LB Jacque Roman Appalachian St
LB Matt Cohen Lehigh
LB Jabara Williams Stephen F Austin
CB Justin Rodgers Richmond
CB Korey Lindsey Southern Illinois
S Tommy Connors SE Louisiana
S Mark LeGree Appalachian St

1ST TEAM SPECIALISTS
P Doug Spada SE Missouri St
K Ryan Gates Gardner-Webb
KR LeRoy Vann Florida A&M
PR Marc Mariani Montana

2ND TEAM OFFENSE
QB Dominic Randolph Holy Cross
RB Ed Gowins Stony Brook
RB William Ford South Carolina St
RB Chris Evans Samford
WR Victor Cruz Massachusetts
WR Tim Toone Weber St
WR Pat Simonds Colgate
TE Ben Jorden Appalachian St
C Tommy Hernandez UC Davis
OG Chaz Milliard Eastern Illinois
OG Jeff Hansen Montana St
OT Ben Ijalana Villanova
OT Lane Freiwald Central Arkansas

2ND TEAM DEFENSE
DL Tim Knicky Stephen F Austin
DL Lou Miller Columbia
DL Dane Fletcher Montana St
DL Grant Hunter Butler
LB Luke Bonus Hofstra
LB Scott Lewis St Francis (PA)
LB Jeffrey Williams Gardner-Webb
CB Matthew Hansen Harvard
CB Curtis Holcomb Florida A&M
S Jeromy Miles Massachusetts
S Shann Schillinger Montana

2ND TEAM SPECIALISTS
P Scott Ravanesi Southern Illinois
K Andrew Samson Penn
KR Scotty McGee James Madison
PR Andre Roberts The Citadel

JohnStOnge
June 25th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Boy, Central Arkansas and especially Texas State fans are going to love this guy. Texas pseudo Southland champ State not in the top 40? True Southland Champ Central Arkansas at 35 with McNeese State at 10?

Tribe4SF
June 25th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Phil must know something I don't about Hofstra. He sees them as the most improved team in the country, but doesn't put Delaware in the top 40. Maybe we can get a matchup between the Hens and San Diego, and I can get a head-up bet with Phil!xthumbsupx

slostang
June 25th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I would place Weber State's Tim Toone ahead of Southern Utah's Tysson Poots at WR having seen both play, but I think both belong.

smallcollegefbfan
June 25th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Phil must know something I don't about Hofstra. He sees them as the most improved team in the country, but doesn't put Delaware in the top 40. Maybe we can get a matchup between the Hens and San Diego, and I can get a head-up bet with Phil!xthumbsupx

LOL. Yeah I don't get the Hofstra pick but like I said before he often has a knack for hitting on surprise picks.

smallcollegefbfan
June 25th, 2009, 07:25 PM
I would place Weber State's Tim Toone ahead of Southern Utah's Tysson Poots at WR having seen both play, but I think both belong.

Poots is a NFL caliber WR and no doubt he belongs when you put 3 WRs but I wouldn't put him or the Southern WR over Andre' Roberts. Roberts was a 1st team All-American last year. I really think if Poots puts up another 1100 or 1200 yard season that he will be a 1st teamer next year.

Tribe4SF
June 25th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Grant Hunter was an All-PFL choice as a freshman last year. 42 total tackles with 14 sacks. He's 6'3" 230, and is from Ohio.

He transferred from Robert Morris.

BEAR
June 25th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Boy, Central Arkansas and especially Texas State fans are going to love this guy. Texas pseudo Southland champ State not in the top 40? True Southland Champ Central Arkansas at 35 with McNeese State at 10?

It's a preseason poll? Not much to base these rankings on...

Anyone that calls a personal list or rankings a poll is ignorant enough. A poll is taken from the input of several individuals..not one. McNeese at 10? UCA at 35? Texas State not ranked? Um...that pretty much shows me his level of understanding of FCS football. xcoffeex

crusader11
June 25th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Holy Cross at 13? Works for me.

smallcollegefbfan
June 25th, 2009, 07:54 PM
It's a preseason poll? Not much to base these rankings on...

Anyone that calls a personal list or rankings a poll is ignorant enough. A poll is taken from the input of several individuals..not one. McNeese at 10? UCA at 35? Texas State not ranked? Um...that pretty much shows me his level of understanding of FCS football. xcoffeex

Just curious who called this list a poll because none of us did? Have you seen the magazine already and they claim it is a poll?

Also, I would normally agree with you on this because some of these picks are wacky but he has started following this the last few years. One thing I always mention is let's compare all of these polls at the end of the year and see who was right. Many laughed at JMU #1 and they held that ranking for most of the year and beat the preseason #1 team.

It will be interesting to see how this matches up. We need for someone who has nothing to do with AGS, CSN, TSN, Phil Steele, Lindy's Sporting News, etc. to do a comparison on preseason ratings judging how many teams were correctly picked when the final GPI comes out and who had the most top 10 picks right and who was closest on the national champion so we don't hear any propaganda from one source that claims to be the best when maybe they are using just 1 way to judge and not all of them.

I am thinking of doing a comparison at the end of this year for us all to compare and see who actually does the best job. I will work on doing one for last year and let you guys know what I came up with.

TexasTerror
June 25th, 2009, 08:05 PM

The "Southland Insider" will beside himself! xlolx

No Northwestern State...preposterous! xnonox

TheValleyRaider
June 25th, 2009, 08:22 PM
A bit surprised to not see Colgate at all. Not expecting much, just wondering, given we've been receiving votes or honorable mention or what have you in most previews. Oh well xreadx

BigHouseClosedEnd
June 25th, 2009, 08:53 PM

Ditto. He really jumped the shark on Hofstra. I would consider it a reach if he claimed that Hofstra would go .500 in the CAA, let alone 7th in the nation. xrotatehx

SU DOG
June 25th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Don't think we Samford Fans are too thrilled with Phil.:(:(

carney2
June 25th, 2009, 09:10 PM
No change from last year. This guy has no contact with reality.

smallcollegefbfan
June 25th, 2009, 09:16 PM
No change from last year. This guy has no contact with reality.

I will bring this thread up after the playoffs for discussion as I will with the preseason AGS poll, TSN poll, etc. so we can all see how correct we are. xthumbsupx

lionsrking2
June 25th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Now, if you thought Hofstra and some others were head scratchers in the top 25 wait until you see this list. I bolded players that I thought were a stretch at the spot they were listed.

1ST TEAM OFFENSE
RB Trevyn Smith Weber St
RB David Sinsi Monmouth
WR Terrell Hudgins Elon
C Kyle Mutcher Weber St
OG David Harrison Elon

1ST TEAM DEFENSE
DL Austen Lane Murray St
LB Matt Cohen Lehigh

1ST TEAM SPECIALISTS
PR Marc Mariani Montana

2ND TEAM OFFENSE
RB Ed Gowins Stony Brook
RB Chris Evans Samford
WR Tim Toone Weber St
WR Pat Simonds Colgate
OT Ben Ijalana Villanova

2ND TEAM DEFENSE
DL Lou Miller Columbia
DL Grant Hunter Butler
LB Luke Bonus Hofstra

2ND TEAM SPECIALISTS
K Andrew Samson Penn

Tommy Connors isn't a stretch in the least bit...VERY deserving of a 1st team All-American mention...may not be the best pro prospect but he's an oustanding football player and a consistent playmaker...just glad Steele saw fit to give him the recognition.

smallcollegefbfan
June 25th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Tommy Connors isn't a stretch in the least bit...VERY deserving of a 1st team All-American mention...may not be the best pro prospect but he's an oustanding football player and a consistent playmaker...just glad Steele saw fit to give him the recognition.

I agree that he is a good player and I would have put him 2nd team behind Miles. I have seen LeGree, Miles, Connors, etc. and the top 2 safeties in FCS are LeGree and Miles. Miles is a solid pro prospect but better yet he is outstanding against the run and has solid ball skills. He makes plays that Connors just lacks the range and speed to make. I am not taking anything away from him but I usually pick All-America teams based on a combination of production and the athletic ability to make certain plays. I just believe that Miles truly deserves 1st team.

lionsrking2
June 25th, 2009, 10:17 PM
I agree that he is a good player and I would have put him 2nd team behind Miles. I have seen LeGree, Miles, Connors, etc. and the top 2 safeties in FCS are LeGree and Miles. Miles is a solid pro prospect but better yet he is outstanding against the run and has solid ball skills. He makes plays that Connors just lacks the range and speed to make. I am not taking anything away from him but I usually pick All-America teams based on a combination of production and the athletic ability to make certain plays. I just believe that Miles truly deserves 1st team.

You apparently haven't seen Tommy play much.

smallcollegefbfan
June 25th, 2009, 10:34 PM
You apparently haven't seen Tommy play much.

I have seen three games. Tommy is a heck of a player. One thing you have to remember is that I have seen all of these guys in 3-5 random games and I have no bias to anyone because I am truly looking for the best players and I don't have any reason to lean to one school or another.

From when I saw Tommy I thought he was solid against the run. He struggles in man to man coverage against NFL size TEs because he lacks the physical ability to get in there and break it up. He is very tough for an OL to engage on him and has adequate closing speed. He is very active against the run and while he might not have the physical ability to shed the block quickly he shows good effort. He also has solid change of direction, hips, and quickness. He was solid all around but not outstanding in any one thing.

From when I saw Miles I noticed he has very good closing speed (NFL type closing speed). He is very active against the run like Connors but hits better and gets in traffic quicker. His athletic ability appeared to be that of a NFL SS. He has much better size and speed giving him better ability to match up with TEs and better strength at the POA (point of attack).

Production Comparison
Miles- 104 tackles, 5 TFL, 3 INT, 2 PBU, 2 FR, 2 FF in 12 games.
Connors- 108 tackles, 5.5 TFL, 4 INT, 4 PBU, 2 FR, 1 FF, 1 blocked kick in 12 games.

Connors has better production but did not have 2 1st team all-league CBs on his team like Miles did as well. It seemed to me that Connors had to do much more than Miles did. With Miles having to do more this year I fully expect him to have a big year as well. I think Connors gets the slight edge in production but Miles has better physical tools and seems to make more athletic plays thus making me say I would select him ahead of Connors.

While NFL ability is not everything I will show you two examples of where I would pick the other player. There is no doubt that OT Casey Knips of SDSU has ideal NFL size, length, good feet, etc. but he has been inconsistent and not dominated his conference. He is currently a mid to late round projection from NFL scouts. Then I look at a guy like OT Ben Ijalana at Villanova who doesn't have as good of physical tools for the tackle position and would likely move inside. Ijalana has been dominant though and has good enough size, footwork, and strength to play guard in the NFL. Even though he would likely require a move inside at the next level he has been all-conference, all-america, and more consistent thus I would select him.

When you get to a player like Connors and Miles both have fairly close stats but Connors is slightly better. He lacks the NFL tools such as speed, speed, etc. that Miles has and thus I would take him over Connors. Having NFL tools is not everything but when production and dominance at this level is close I always let NFL tools tip the scale.

Here is another way to put it. I don't think anyone would argue that Brian Finneran put up better numbers than Terrell Owens while in college but I also don't think anyone would select him over TO due to the fact that TO has been dominant in the NFL. I look at Miles and Connors and feel that Miles is going to be playing in the NFL in 3-5 years and I see Connors in the CFL.

lionsrking2
June 26th, 2009, 12:16 AM
I have seen three games. Tommy is a heck of a player. One thing you have to remember is that I have seen all of these guys in 3-5 random games and I have no bias to anyone because I am truly looking for the best players and I don't have any reason to lean to one school or another.

From when I saw Tommy I thought he was solid against the run. He struggles in man to man coverage against NFL size TEs because he lacks the physical ability to get in there and break it up. He is very tough for an OL to engage on him and has adequate closing speed. He is very active against the run and while he might not have the physical ability to shed the block quickly he shows good effort. He also has solid change of direction, hips, and quickness. He was solid all around but not outstanding in any one thing.

From when I saw Miles I noticed he has very good closing speed (NFL type closing speed). He is very active against the run like Connors but hits better and gets in traffic quicker. His athletic ability appeared to be that of a NFL SS. He has much better size and speed giving him better ability to match up with TEs and better strength at the POA (point of attack).

Production Comparison
Miles- 104 tackles, 5 TFL, 3 INT, 2 PBU, 2 FR, 2 FF in 12 games.
Connors- 108 tackles, 5.5 TFL, 4 INT, 4 PBU, 2 FR, 1 FF, 1 blocked kick in 12 games.

With Miles having to do more this year I fully expect him to have a big year as well. I think Connors gets the slight edge in production but Miles has better physical tools and seems to make more athletic plays thus making me say I would select him ahead of Connors.

While NFL ability is not everything I will show you two examples of where I would pick the other player. There is no doubt that OT Casey Knips of SDSU has ideal NFL size, length, good feet, etc. but he has been inconsistent and not dominated his conference. He is currently a mid to late round projection from NFL scouts. Then I look at a guy like OT Ben Ijalana at Villanova who doesn't have as good of physical tools for the tackle position and would likely move inside. Ijalana has been dominant though and has good enough size, footwork, and strength to play guard in the NFL. Even though he would likely require a move inside at the next level he has been all-conference, all-america, and more consistent thus I would select him.

When you get to a player like Connors and Miles both have fairly close stats but Connors is slightly better. He lacks the NFL tools such as speed, speed, etc. that Miles has and thus I would take him over Connors. Having NFL tools is not everything but when production and dominance at this level is close I always let NFL tools tip the scale.

Here is another way to put it. I don't think anyone would argue that Brian Finneran put up better numbers than Terrell Owens while in college but I also don't think anyone would select him over TO due to the fact that TO has been dominant in the NFL. I look at Miles and Connors and feel that Miles is going to be playing in the NFL in 3-5 years and I see Connors in the CFL.

I understand your rationale for using NFL tools as a separator but to say it's a "stretch" when someone else does not, is what I have a problem with. We're talking about ability to impact a game at the FCS level and Tommy has every bit the impact Miles has at this level and is every bit as deserving of being recognized as a 1st team All-American.

When you say, "Connors has better production but did not have 2 1st team all-league CBs on his team like Miles did as well. It seemed to me that Connors had to do much more than Miles did," I'm not sure what difference that makes. A playmaker is a playmaker, and if anything, being in a position of "having to do more" would make Tommy's production that much more significant it seems. If you're surrounded by "better players" you should have more opportunities to make plays because you're going to draw less attention.

Again, I'm not arguing that Connors is a "better" player than Miles, nor am I arguing that he's a better pro prospect...I'm merely saying he's every bit as deserving of All-American recognition and I don't see it as a "stretch" when someone else recognizes it - nothing more, nothing less.

smallcollegefbfan
June 26th, 2009, 12:23 AM
I understand your rationale for using NFL tools as a separator but to say it's a "stretch" when someone else does not, is what I have a problem with. We're talking about ability to impact a game at the FCS level and Tommy has every bit the impact Miles has at this level and is every bit as deserving of being recognized as a 1st team All-American.

When you say, "Connors has better production but did not have 2 1st team all-league CBs on his team like Miles did as well. It seemed to me that Connors had to do much more than Miles did," I'm not sure what difference that makes. A playmaker is a playmaker, and if anything, being in a position of "having to do more" would make Tommy's production that much more significant it seems. If you're surrounded by "better players" you should have more opportunities to make plays because you're going to draw less attention.

Again, I'm not arguing that Connors is a "better" player than Miles, nor am I arguing that he's a better pro prospect...I'm merely saying he's every bit as deserving of All-American recognition and I don't see it as a "stretch" when someone else recognizes it - nothing more, nothing less.

I see what you are saying and I agree with you. The only reason I feel 1st team is a stretch is because I felt LeGree is #1 for sure and Miles is #2 with a gap between them. Then I felt there was a solid gap between Miles and the others. I also felt that Connors, Graves, or Whitehead could be next and I didn't think Connors was the clear cut 3 or a guy that I would rank 2. If I had to rank them I would say 1. LeGree 2. Miles 3. Whitehead 4. Connors 5. Graves. I guess I just don't see him as top 3 and that is why I said he is a stretch. Let me say this though. The safety position is very deep this year and you could put these guys names in a hat and pick whoever for 2nd team after LeGree and Miles. If say Miles was still at Navy and LeGree ended up in the SEC where he belonged then I would have no problem putting Whitehead and Connors as 1st team All-Americans. All 5 of those safeties are All-Americans and great players.

lionsrking2
June 26th, 2009, 12:34 AM
I see what you are saying and I agree with you. The only reason I feel 1st team is a stretch is because I felt LeGree is #1 for sure and Miles is #2 with a gap between them. Then I felt there was a solid gap between Miles and the others. I also felt that Connors, Graves, or Whitehead could be next and I didn't think Connors was the clear cut 3 or a guy that I would rank 2. If I had to rank them I would say 1. LeGree 2. Miles 3. Whitehead 4. Connors 5. Graves. I guess I just don't see him as top 3 and that is why I said he is a stretch. Let me say this though. The safety position is very deep this year and you could put these guys names in a hat and pick whoever for 2nd team after LeGree and Miles. If say Miles was still at Navy and LeGree ended up in the SEC where he belonged then I would have no problem putting Whitehead and Connors as 1st team All-Americans. All 5 of those safeties are All-Americans and great players.

Fair enough if you're grading tools or ranking NFL prospects. I just don't happen to believe All-American teams should take pro potential into consideration...that's what the NFL draft is for. All-American teams are for rewarding superlative play at the collegiate level.

smallcollegefbfan
June 26th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Fair enough if you're grading tools or ranking NFL prospects. I just don't happen to believe All-American teams should take pro potential into consideration...that's what the NFL draft is for. All-American teams are for rewarding superlative play at the collegiate level.

I agree somewhat but okay for example I usually look for who could be a star at the next level and what team they play on and how much of an impact they have on their team. In this case I also know that Miles played in the FBS and was a solid player. I know he could at least start on a quality team in the FBS and will get a shot in the NFL. With Connors I could say that I think he could but I don't know for a fact. Many good FCS players can't play at the FBS level, let alone NFL level. I would never say a one year starter with 75 tackles but has 4.3 speed and the NFL all over him should be over Connors but in this case you have a bigger player with better physical tools, faster, and very productive over the last two years (Connors has been productive over the last two years as well). With both players having similar production I happen to use the fact one played at the FBS level and could play in the NFL as my tiebreaker.

One thing I have always thought is that if you are selecting an All-America team and you have 4 RBs with similiar production who have been major impacts on their teams but two of them are likely top 150 draft picks and could be in the NFL one day I am going to use that as the tie breaker. Like you I feel we have to reward based on what they did in college but I also don't want to look stupid for not recognizing a productive college player who goes on to have a great NFL career.

This brings up an interesting question for everyone. If you have two players who have similar production then how do you break the tie? There has to be a factor to put one ahead of the other one.

One other question is that what about Connors do you think makes him better than Miles? Do you think he is a better run defender or has better ball skills? Who has the better range? How many games of Miles have you seen? Do you think Miles has better speed? I ask a lot of those questions when I see these guys and I have seen multiple games of both so I feel like I have a good handle on them but I would like to hear what you think of Miles' game.

Syntax Error
June 26th, 2009, 01:07 AM
... they have been the most accurate...Not true. AGS has been more accurate.

Syntax Error
June 26th, 2009, 01:15 AM
... I have seen all of these guys in 3-5 random games...You have watched them on tape, maybe. How many have you seen in person? Many mistakes are done by so called analysts who look at film and judge (hello Phil and Mel). Try going to see FCS games.

smallcollegefbfan
June 26th, 2009, 01:24 AM
Not true. AGS has been more accurate.

In what ways because no outlet was #1 in every way? AGS tied for first place in 2 of the categories I did but Steele tied or finished in sole possession of 1st in 3 categories and narrowly beat us out. I was as shocked as I am sure most are. But then again he has been the most accurate magazine the last what 11 or 12 years on FBS so you had to figure it was just a matter of time before he started hitting most of his picks in FCS. Check out the results I have and let me know if I am missing a team. I can email you the list if you want to double check all of my math.

For the record AGS did beat out TSN, Coaches, and the other magazines though and was the most accurate until I put Steele's picks in. He barely beat us.

smallcollegefbfan
June 26th, 2009, 01:38 AM
You have watched them on tape, maybe. How many have you seen in person? Many mistakes are done by so called analysts who look at film and judge (hello Phil and Mel). Try going to see FCS games.

NFL GMs don't attend every game of every player they draft. You can only see so many players in person. Nobody has seen every player on the All-America list in person, as a senior, because that is impossible to do. Because of that you have to judge based on what you can get. Now, if someone judges based on highlight films they won't be truly accurate. Anyone who scouts can tell if a player is good on film or not. You can see certain things in person you can't see on film but you can also see certain things on film that you can't see in person. For example, I can't rewind a game in person to look at the mechanics on the throw again or the feet of the OL or look at the coverages again and know exactly what the FS should have done. I can do all of that on film. Then when at a game you can see things on the sideline that you can't see on film. The ideal thing to do is see both but the reality is that scouts see less than half of the games they watch in person and rely on film, coaches input, and the few games they can see live.

lionsrking2
June 26th, 2009, 01:45 AM
One other question is that what about Connors do you think makes him better than Miles? Do you think he is a better run defender or has better ball skills? Who has the better range? How many games of Miles have you seen? Do you think Miles has better speed? I ask a lot of those questions when I see these guys and I have seen multiple games of both so I feel like I have a good handle on them but I would like to hear what you think of Miles' game.

Again, I've never claimed Tommy is "better" than Miles nor have I claimed he's a better pro prospect...I'm not even saying he's a better college player.

However, his production at the FCS level speaks for itself and clearly stacks up with the best in the country in that regard. I merely took issue with your original statement that it was a "reach" for Phil Steele to place him on his pre-season 1st team All-American team. While you obviously disagree, and would prefer Miles due to superior NFL ability, it's not a reach for someone else to conclude that Connors is a better college player, even if only slightly.

smallcollegefbfan
June 26th, 2009, 01:53 AM
Again, I've never claimed Tommy is "better" than Miles nor have I claimed he's a better pro prospect...I'm not even saying he's a better college player.

However, his production at the FCS level speaks for itself and clearly stacks up with the best in the country in that regard. I merely took issue with your original statement that it was a "reach" for Phil Steele to place him on his pre-season 1st team All-American team. While you obviously disagree, and would prefer Miles due to superior NFL ability, it's not a reach for someone else to conclude that Connors is a better college player, even if only slightly.

I understand your point and it is well taken. I see where you are coming from.

My argument would be the same at QB where I would say Edwards is hands down the best QB but I would not take away from Higgins at all and not say he deserves to be an All-American and a Payton finalist. All I am saying here is that I thought Miles was hands down the 2nd best safety in FCS but did not mean to take away from Connors. He is a great FCS player who deserves All-America mention.

I was very impressed with Connors as a FCS player. I kept waiting to see that athletic play that made me say he could play in the NFL and never saw it. What I did see though was a try hard, very active, tough, and high motor player that makes plays for SELU.

lionsrking2
June 26th, 2009, 02:26 AM
I understand your point and it is well taken. I see where you are coming from. I feel Connors deserves to be an All-American and is part of a very deep safety class. I won't argue with you on any of what you said. I just felt Miles was clearly the 2nd best safety and was surprised by the selection.

I would say these two are just about equal in terms of college players but Miles is by far faster, bigger, etc. and thus I thought that would tip the scale heavily in his favor. I didn't think the pick was dumb but just thought it was a reach based on what I had seen.

I was very impressed with Connors as a FCS player. I kept waiting to see that athletic play that made me say he could play in the NFL and never saw it. What I did see though was a try hard, very active, tough, and high motor player that makes plays for SELU. I am still trying to find out what he ran for NFL scouts. He was not even on the watch list and I thought he would be. He must have had a bad day and ran a 4.7 or something.

From what I understand, he ran 4.64 and 4.66 which is about a tenth better than last year. He's not going to win many foot races and isn't an "eyeball" guy either; but what he is is a "football player" with outstanding instincts and a knack for finding the football in crunch time. He's a very good open field tackler and rarely whiffs. You know what you're getting every time he takes the field and plays with his eyeballs rolled back in his head!!! He's freakin' relentless!!

I saw Reed Doughty play in person twice when he was at Northern Colorado, and they're very similar.

smallcollegefbfan
June 26th, 2009, 09:06 AM
From what I understand, he ran 4.64 and 4.66 which is about a tenth better than last year. He's not going to win many foot races and isn't an "eyeball" guy either; but what he is is a "football player" with outstanding instincts and a knack for finding the football in crunch time. He's a very good open field tackler and rarely whiffs. You know what you're getting every time he takes the field and plays with his eyeballs rolled back in his head!!! He's freakin' relentless!!

I saw Reed Doughty play in person twice when he was at Northern Colorado, and they're very similar.

Doughty is bigger and ran close to a 4.5 but very close style of play. I would guess that connors is a 4.70 guy based on his game speed.

smallcollegefbfan
June 26th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Here is a podcast done with Phil Steele recently.

http://www.inthebleachers.net/itb060809.mp3

citdog
June 26th, 2009, 09:15 AM
there isn't ONE Wide receiver in the country better than Cadet Captain Andre Roberts....much less FOUR mr. steele has lost all cred he had in my eyes with this excrementable list. why would i buy his magazine if he misses a TWO TIME ALL-AMERICAN?

smallcollegefbfan
June 26th, 2009, 09:26 AM
there isn't ONE Wide receiver in the country better than Cadet Captain Andre Roberts....much less FOUR mr. steele has lost all cred he had in my eyes with this excrementable list. why would i buy his magazine if he misses a TWO TIME ALL-AMERICAN?

I definitely agree. You can tell that he was trying not to put someone on the list twice. That still doesn't excuse that miss. The only way this will look right is if Roberts doesn't end up earning 1st team All-America honors but still I think the preseason is when you honor those who have shown they have produced and Roberts certainly has done that. He is by far the top NFL prospect in the division, tore up Clemson, and has been dominant as a return man and receiver.

EagleDawg
June 26th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Here is the top 40. Can a Moderator fix the thread title to say Phil Steele's FCS Top 40?

1. Appalachian St
2. Villanova
3. Southern Illinois
4. Montana
5. Richmond
6. Northern Iowa
7. Hofstra
8. Elon
9. James Madison
10. Mcneese St
11. Jacksonville St
12. William & Mary
13. Holy Cross
14. Wofford
15. Eastern Washington
16. North Dakota St
17. South Carolina St
18. Youngstown St
19. Massachusetts
20. South Dakota St
21. Weber St
22. New Hampshire
23. Harvard
24. UC Davis
25. Grambling St
26. San Diego
27. Gardner-Webb
28. Furman
29. Cal Poly
30. Montana St
31. Georgia Southern
32. Illinois St
33. E Illinois
34. The Citadel
35. Central Arkansas
36. Penn
37. Lafayette
38. Florida A&M
39. Northern Arizona
40. Albany

Wow, only one Big South Team (Gardner-Webb), that's a bit surprising. No Liberty, Stoney Brook, Coastal Carolina. Well if there's only gonna be one, it's good to see it be the Runnin' Bulldogs. Here's hoping that Mr. Steele is as accurate as he was last season.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!!!xnodxxnodxxnodx

smallcollegefbfan
June 26th, 2009, 10:11 AM

1. Appalachian St
2. Villanova
3. Southern Illinois
4. Montana
5. Richmond
6. Northern Iowa
7. Hofstra
8. Elon
9. James Madison
10. Mcneese St
11. Jacksonville St
12. William & Mary
13. Holy Cross
14. Wofford
15. Eastern Washington
16. North Dakota St
17. South Carolina St
18. Youngstown St
19. Massachusetts
20. South Dakota St
21. Weber St
22. New Hampshire
23. Harvard
24. UC Davis
25. Grambling St
26. San Diego
27. Gardner-Webb
28. Furman
29. Cal Poly
30. Montana St
31. Georgia Southern
32. Illinois St
33. E Illinois
34. The Citadel
35. Central Arkansas
36. Penn
37. Lafayette
38. Florida A&M
39. Northern Arizona
40. Albany

Wow, only one Big South Team (Gardner-Webb), that's a bit surprising. No Liberty, Stoney Brook, Coastal Carolina. Well if there's only gonna be one, it's good to see it be the Runnin' Bulldogs. Here's hoping that Mr. Steele is as accurate as he was last season.

I posted this already and the moderators put it in the Phil Steele Magazine Update thread. Check that thread for this and the All-America teams.

lionsrking2
June 26th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Yeah when I think about it their play is simliar. Now I know Doughty is bigger and ran a 4.5 but very close style of play.

Doughty may have ran a 4.5 for somebody at some point but his combine time was 4.68...he's a little bigger than Connors but not much.

grizband
June 26th, 2009, 10:39 AM

I definitely agree. You can tell that he was trying not to put someone on the list twice. That still doesn't excuse that miss. The only way this will look right is if Roberts doesn't end up earning 1st team All-America honors but still I think the preseason is when you honor those who have shown they have produced and Roberts certainly has done that. He is by far the top NFL prospect in the division, tore up Clemson, and has been dominant as a return man and receiver.
Its the same with Mariani. I could see him second team behind Hudgins and Roberts, but not to include him on the list of WR doesn't make sense at all.

EagleDawg
June 26th, 2009, 10:40 AM
I saw it on the other thread but with all of the discussion of the Pre-season All-American Teams/Players the FCS Top 40 seemed to be over shadowed with all of that extensive discussion. Just thought it might elicit a few more comments on the FCS Top 40 to have it in it's own thread but that's just me.

smallcollegefbfan
June 26th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Its the same with Mariani. I could see him second team behind Hudgins and Roberts, but not to include him on the list of WR doesn't make sense at all.

Defintely. I really like Mariani. I am going to rank the top 5 per position in the nation and post on here soon. I think WR, S, and OT are going to be the deepest positions.

Duke Dawg
Hofstra #7 ?!?!?!?!? xeekxxeekx

smallcollegefbfan
I saw it on the other thread but with all of the discussion of the Pre-season All-American Teams/Players the FCS Top 40 seemed to be over shadowed with all of that extensive discussion. Just thought it might elicit a few more comments on the FCS Top 40 to have it in it's own thread but that's just me.

I agree that is was overshadowed. Didn't know if you saw it posted or not because of that. Figured maybe you missed it with all of the other comments.

andy7171
June 26th, 2009, 10:54 AM
No Delaware in the top 40!?!?! GF is going to have a conniption fit!

elcid83
June 26th, 2009, 11:03 AM
You guys might also enjoy reading Phil's June 17th Blog entry. He tells us that he wants to do an FCS magazine next year, but he needs the FCS fans to step up and buy this year's ACC/Big East magazine which is going to have a ton of FCS coverage. I know we can get a lot of info on the net, but, we should all head out and get a copy of this mag when it hits the newstands and let Phil know we really appreciate the coverage. By the way, Phil picks GDubb as the #2 most improved team.

http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/June09/DBJune17.html

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

WrenFGun
June 26th, 2009, 11:04 AM
I think this is a pretty horrendous list, all-around. Southern Illinois, Eastern Washington, North Dakota State and UMass over Weber State and UNH. I would have both teams above all 4 of them.

Glad to see he's weighing what teams accomplished as a group last year, heavily. I don't know if he's trying to stake a name for himself, but putting SIU at #3 after they lost their best player is laughable.

Redwyn
June 26th, 2009, 11:05 AM

1. Appalachian St
2. Villanova
3. Southern Illinois
4. Montana
5. Richmond
6. Northern Iowa
7. Hofstra
8. Elon
9. James Madison
10. Mcneese St
11. Jacksonville St
12. William & Mary
13. Holy Cross
14. Wofford
15. Eastern Washington
16. North Dakota St
17. South Carolina St
18. Youngstown St
19. Massachusetts
20. South Dakota St
21. Weber St
22. New Hampshire
23. Harvard
24. UC Davis
25. Grambling St
26. San Diego
27. Gardner-Webb
28. Furman
29. Cal Poly
30. Montana St
31. Georgia Southern
32. Illinois St
33. E Illinois
34. The Citadel
35. Central Arkansas
36. Penn
37. Lafayette
38. Florida A&M
39. Northern Arizona
40. Albany

1. Stony Brook, no e
2. I can't say much but put out a silent confidence. We'lllll seeeee!!

On the aside, quite happy with Hofstra's massively overinflated ranking. Game 1 should be quite telling!

Redwyn
June 26th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Now, if you thought Hofstra and some others were head scratchers in the top 25 wait until you see this list. I bolded players that I thought were possibly overrated. Many of them are good players but for example at WR I think the top 3 are Roberts, Hudgins, and Mariani. I probably would have put Poots and Stewart on the 2nd team along with Toone or Simonds.

1ST TEAM OFFENSE
RB Trevyn Smith Weber St
RB David Sinsi Monmouth
WR Terrell Hudgins Elon
C Kyle Mutcher Weber St
OG David Harrison Elon

1ST TEAM DEFENSE
DL Austen Lane Murray St
LB Matt Cohen Lehigh

1ST TEAM SPECIALISTS
PR Marc Mariani Montana

2ND TEAM OFFENSE
RB Ed Gowins Stony Brook
RB Chris Evans Samford
WR Tim Toone Weber St
WR Pat Simonds Colgate
OT Ben Ijalana Villanova

2ND TEAM DEFENSE
DL Lou Miller Columbia
DL Grant Hunter Butler
LB Luke Bonus Hofstra

2ND TEAM SPECIALISTS
K Andrew Samson Penn

I wasn't convinced with Gowins when he started strong, but to put up load like this throughout the season he should continue to be fantastic. SBU coaches are VERY high on the Cuttino/Gowins combo, and here's to a repeat this year!

biggie
June 26th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Jorden is a solid pick and could be 1st team by seasons end. As long as his injury(s) haven't affected him. He has the best hands of any TE I've seen and breaking tackles/running is very good as well.

smallcollegefbfan
June 26th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Jorden is a solid pick and could be 1st team by seasons end. As long as his injury(s) haven't affected him. He has the best hands of any TE I've seen and breaking tackles/running is very good as well.

I think he is a great player but I only said it was a stretch because I feel Harbor and Sicko are the best tight ends in FCS. Jorden could be the #1 TE next year this time. Harbor is a very good blocker and pass catcher who has a shot at the NFL. Don't be surprised if he gets drafted. Sicko is a very good pass catcher but needs to work on blocking. One thing that many overlook when naming All-America teams for a TE is blocking and those who have seen Harbor will tell you he is an excellent blocker while those who have seen Sicko will tell you he isn't, thus the reason Harbor is probably #1 at this point.

EagleDawg
June 26th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Redwyn - No disrespect intended on the misspelling. I had a "hooked on phonics" moment. It happens from time to time when you reach middle age. I was surprised that Stony Brook wasn't in the top 40. Played Elon tough last year and had a pretty decent season with a good nucleus of players returning. You should be quietly confident because the Seawolves should be in the hunt for the league crown this season.

biggie
June 26th, 2009, 11:23 AM
I think he is a great player but I only said it was a stretch because I feel Harbor and Sicko are the best tight ends in FCS. Jorden could be the #1 TE next year this time. Harbor is a very good blocker and pass catcher who has a shot at the NFL. Don't be surprised if he gets drafted. Sicko is a very good pass catcher but needs to work on blocking. One thing that many overlook when naming All-America teams for a TE is blocking and those who have seen Harbor will tell you he is an excellent blocker while those who have seen Sicko will tell you he isn't, thus the reason Harbor is probably #1 at this point.
True and with App's offense the TE isn't blocking that much, and I'm usually too busy watching RB/WR/QB routes and running to watch any of the TE blocking that does happen. As young as Jorden is and with his talent I could see him as a NFL prospect in a year or so as well.

He only gets the ball when its available though. We only throw to the TE when a defense is setting up to allow that to be open. Seems a TE pass is never forced (maybe a couple TD grabs were last year, but not a normal thing). So that can hurt his evaluations.

EagleDawg
June 26th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Elcid83 - Good to see you all Wednesday, sorry that we missed you guys there at the end of the day. Sounds like the new Dawgs are off and Runnin', literally.

smallcollegefbfan
June 26th, 2009, 11:31 AM
True and with App's offense the TE isn't blocking that much, and I'm usually too busy watching RB/WR/QB routes and running to watch any of the TE blocking that does happen. As young as Jorden is and with his talent I could see him as a NFL prospect in a year or so as well.

He only gets the ball when its available though. We only throw to the TE when a defense is setting up to allow that to be open. Seems a TE pass is never forced (maybe a couple TD grabs were last year, but not a normal thing). So that can hurt his evaluations.

Very early to call him a prospect and I don't know if he would get drafted or make it because he has borderline size for a NFL TE and is not that fast. I would guess he runs a 4.85. Now, his hands are great and he can get open. I could see him being a situational type of player but he needs to continue bulking up and, as does every TE, continue development as a blocker. I guess I am just shocked that Jorden was picked over two TEs who have been All-Americans each of the last two years. Although when you look at Missouri State's record it is easy to see a deserving player get overlooked. OG David Arkin is one of the best guards in FCS but you don't see any outlets honoring him yet likely because their offensive unit isn't dominant.

Retro
June 26th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Where's Texas State? They have to be at least considered within top 25.xeekx

smallcollegefbfan
June 26th, 2009, 11:59 AM

You would think so. It will be interesting to compare all of these preseason picks in the postseason.

Redbird Ray
June 26th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Illinois State @ #32???!!!! xbowx

I would be thrilled if that were the case. Phil Steele must have some inside info on the Birds that no one else knows about.

SIU, UNI, and NDSU are definitely legit top 25 teams btw.

BigHouseClosedEnd
June 26th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Can someone explain why posts questioning Hofstra being #7 would have been deleted from this thread? xconfusedx

Ivytalk
June 26th, 2009, 12:28 PM
I see that the Albany of the Ivy League is at #23, and the Penn State- Philadelphia of the Ivies came in 36th.xcoolx

mainejeff
June 26th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Does he even know that Maine exists?........xrolleyesx

xcoffeex

Sly Fox
June 26th, 2009, 12:44 PM
We Liberty folks prefer to think Maine doesn't exist.

G-Dub #27? Am I missing something here?

EagleDawg
June 26th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Slyfox - Yeah, you're missing something but it's okay, you're part of a larger crowd in that regard. Season's coming up soon and then, it's about performance on the field. The Dawgs I believe are gonna be capable of having something for most everyone they meet. Wins/Losses, only time will tell. But there's at least a few others who are not Dawg fans who see something too and that to me is a good thing.

Sly Fox
June 26th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Doolittle is still the QB, right?

Incidentally all G-Dub fans are always welcome on our board.

mainejeff
June 26th, 2009, 01:09 PM
We Liberty folks prefer to think Maine doesn't exist.

G-Dub #27? Am I missing something here?

Believe me.......I feel the same way about Baptist U.!

BDKJMU
June 26th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Just curious who called this list a poll because none of us did? Have you seen the magazine already and they claim it is a poll?

Also, I would normally agree with you on this because some of these picks are wacky but he has started following this the last few years. One thing I always mention is let's compare all of these polls at the end of the year and see who was right. Many laughed at JMU #1 and they held that ranking for most of the year and beat the preseason #1 team.
It will be interesting to see how this matches up. We need for someone who has nothing to do with AGS, CSN, TSN, Phil Steele, Lindy's Sporting News, etc. to do a comparison on preseason ratings judging how many teams were correctly picked when the final GPI comes out and who had the most top 10 picks right and who was closest on the national champion so we don't hear any propaganda from one source that claims to be the best when maybe they are using just 1 way to judge and not all of them.

I am thinking of doing a comparison at the end of this year for us all to compare and see who actually does the best job. I will work on doing one for last year and let you guys know what I came up with.

Who was laughing at Steele having JMU #1 preseason outside of maybe some ASU fans who felt they were entitled to it? It was by no means a stretch. Last season JMU preseason:
Phil Steele: #1
AGS: #2
Sporting News: #2
Lindy's #3
USA Today #4
Sportning Network #6

Redwyn
June 26th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Redwyn - No disrespect intended on the misspelling. I had a "hooked on phonics" moment. It happens from time to time when you reach middle age. I was surprised that Stony Brook wasn't in the top 40. Played Elon tough last year and had a pretty decent season with a good nucleus of players returning. You should be quietly confident because the Seawolves should be in the hunt for the league crown this season.

No insult intended, I just like to laugh that we've misspelled our town for 300 years! We should make hooked on phonics a mandatory English requirement. Afterall, why speak the Queen's English when we can speak like Queens Borough!

I'm amazingly excited to see what the Big South has to offer this year. A lot of improvement across the board, and we've had Liberty, Coastal, SBU, and G-Webb mentioned by publications (SBU was a team to watch, the other three in rankings). Should be a fantastic year for the conference, no matter who wins it.

PapaBear
June 26th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Believe me.......I feel the same way about Baptist U.!

Play nice, kids.xnonox

I generally pay zero attention to preseason ANYTHING. But I did think it odd that Maine wasn't even in the Top 40, after an 8-5 2008 season.

Rather than taking any kind of umbrage, I'll just consider it a brain fart by our boy Phil.xpeacex

smallcollegefbfan
June 26th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Who was laughing at Steele having JMU #1 preseason outside of maybe some ASU fans who felt they were entitled to it? It was by no means a stretch. Last season JMU preseason:
Phil Steele: #1
AGS: #2
Sporting News: #2
Lindy's #3
USA Today #4
Sportning Network #6

Well, ASU fans are the main reason I said that.

Sly Fox
June 26th, 2009, 02:06 PM
We finished 10-2. But we didn't have quality losses.

:D

Somehow I don't suspect Phil takes these rankings quite as seriously as others.

MaximumBobcat
June 26th, 2009, 02:33 PM

Agreed. He must have forgotten the Bobcats and left us out, or he's an idiot.

Either way, both options lend no credibility to this poll.

Plenty of other weird things going on in this "Top 40".

Phil gets Two Thumbs Down from me. xnonox

smallcollegefbfan
June 26th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Agreed. He must have forgotten the Bobcats and left us out, or he's an idiot.

Either way, both options lend no credibility to this poll.

Plenty of other weird things going on in this "Top 40".

Phil gets Two Thumbs Down from me. xnonox

He just doesn't think Texas State is a top 40 team, which I disagree with.

For the record this is not a poll but a list compiled much like the GPI using certain variables to compute it.

He was the most accurate of all the preseason picks last year based on top 25 teams, highest rank of the eventual national champion, and where the preseason #1 team finished. I didn't compare conferences because of time constraints.

I say we revisit all of these polls and rankings in December and see who was correct. :)

DetroitFlyer
June 26th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Glad to see San Diego in at #26, but to be honest, USD did not even win the PFL last year. Jacksonville and Dayton will probably both finish ahead of USD in 2009.... Albany at #40? Talk about no respect....

Jacksonville was a young team in 2008. I expect them to be even tougher this year than last.... Dayton should have the best defense in all of FCS, if the offense can get it together, (especially the QB spot), look for the Flyers to open some eyes. San Diego will be solid, but to assume they will win the PFL is a bit of stretch in my mind.

As for Albany, they should be lurking in the 25 range preseason IMHO.

g-webb1994
June 26th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Doolittle is still the QB, right?

Incidentally all G-Dub fans are always welcome on our board.

Doolittle + Patton = 6-5 at best, no matter how stout our defense is.....

#27 in the nation?xeekx

smallcollegefbfan
June 29th, 2009, 01:55 PM
I just got it and it looks great! Much thicker than last year and they have tons of color photos, information, stats, preseason awards, etc. Looking forward to seeing the CSN preview guide and I will be set for the season!

The ACC regional has every league and the whole FCS overview in it. The Pac-10 mag has the Big Sky and Great West in it. The Big 12 has the MVFC and Southland in it. The SEC mag has the Big South and SoCon. The Big Ten mag has the MVFC in it.

MSUBear42
June 29th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the updates on which leagues can be found where.

Syntax Error
June 29th, 2009, 02:01 PM
I just got it and it looks great! Much thicker than last year and they have tons of color photos, information, stats, preseason awards, etc. Looking forward to seeing the CSN preview guide and I will be set for the season!...

How many pages of it are FCS since you posted your promotion here? Who cares about your FBS loves? CSN does an FCS yearbook, all FCS. So you have to buy four Steele (sic) books to get his incomplete FCS review, as FBS slanted as it is? Go ahead, admit it. xrolleyesx

andy7171
June 29th, 2009, 02:05 PM
So FCS fans can't enjoy reading about FBS teams? Having both in one mag is nice and if we are going to have the BCS shoved down our throat, might as well be informed?

Syntax Error
June 29th, 2009, 02:06 PM
So FCS fans can't enjoy reading about FBS teams? Having both in one mag is nice and if we are going to have the BCS shoved down our throat, might as well be informed?Missed the point, many mags give FCS lipservice. Seems Steele (sic) has chosen only certain FCS leagues.

andy7171
June 29th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Missed the point, many mags give FCS lipservice. Seems Steele (sic) has chosen only certain FCS leagues.

Oh I'm fully aware of the lipservice. I didn't even need a camera to remember Towsons one sentence review in years past. xlolxxlolxxmadx

...but seriously if CSN offers the only FCS only preview, why slam the next best thing? The Steele mag is atleast attempting to cater to us.

GannonFan
June 29th, 2009, 02:10 PM
How many pages of it are FCS since you posted your promotion here? Who cares about your FBS loves? CSN does an FCS yearbook, all FCS. So you have to buy four Steele (sic) books to get his incomplete FCS review, as FBS slanted as it is? Go ahead, admit it. xrolleyesx

Seriously, dude, we get it you don't like Phil Steele and perhaps this poster as well. Duly noted. Now let the rest of us enjoy the football coverage, if you don't mind. xnodx

Syntax Error
June 29th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Oh I'm fully aware of the lipservice. I didn't even need a camera to remember Towsons one sentence review in years past.
...but seriously of CSN offers the only FCS only preview, why slam the next best thing? The Steele mag is atleast attempting to give us what we want.Seriously, Steele (sic) is not even second best. Maybe it will be if he can tear/delegate himself away from FBS then maybe it will be good.
Seriously, dude, we get it you don't like Phil Steele...You can keep your personal attacks to yourself. I like Steele's (sic) mag but only for what it CAN do for FCS. It doesn't do it yet. Sorry that my opinion disappoints you. If you don't like it don't read it.

andy7171
June 29th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Seriously, Steele (sic) is not even second best. Maybe it will be if he can tear/delegate himself away from FBS then maybe it will be good.

Which publication provides a better preview between CSN and Steel? xconfusedx

Serious question.

Syntax Error
June 29th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Which publication provides a better preview between CSN and Steel? xconfusedx

Serious question.I think it is sporting news, but I forget because I just skim them at the bookstore

ASUG8
June 29th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Hey SmallCollegeFBFan -
Can you take some pics of the SoCon stuff and e-mail them to me? :D

andy7171
June 29th, 2009, 02:23 PM
xwhistlex

kdinva
June 29th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Thanks; I'll be phoning in my order later today........xreadx

mcveyrl
June 29th, 2009, 02:38 PM
xwhistlex

^^^

What he said.

OL FU
June 29th, 2009, 02:45 PM
^^^

What he said.

Doesn't look like anyone said much of anythingxlolxxlolx

xoopsx

JSU02
June 29th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Play nice, kids.xnonox

I generally pay zero attention to preseason ANYTHING. But I did think it odd that Maine wasn't even in the Top 40, after an 8-5 2008 season.

Rather than taking any kind of umbrage, I'll just consider it a brain fart by our boy Phil.xpeacex

I also thought that a bit odd, especially since he has Jax State at #11 and Maine beat us out for that last playoff spot last season.xeyebrowx

smallcollegefbfan
June 29th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the updates on which leagues can be found where.

No problem!

smallcollegefbfan
June 29th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Hey SmallCollegeFBFan -
Can you take some pics of the SoCon stuff and e-mail them to me? :D

Sure thing! :)

Syntax Error
June 30th, 2009, 12:35 AM
For the record this is not a poll but a list compiled much like the GPI using certain variables to compute it.
He was the most accurate of all the preseason picks last year based on top 25 teamsNo on both accounts. Steele (sic) is nothing like the GPI (which the NCAA uses) and the accuracy of Steele (sic) is not logically measurable. Sorry SMALLcollegefootballfan.

mango43
June 30th, 2009, 08:47 AM
I just got it and it looks great! Much thicker than last year and they have tons of color photos, information, stats, preseason awards, etc. Looking forward to seeing the CSN preview guide and I will be set for the season!

The ACC regional has every league and the whole FCS overview in it. The Pac-10 mag has the Big Sky and Great West in it. The Big 12 has the MVFC and Southland in it. The SEC mag has the Big South and SoCon. The Big Ten mag has the MVFC in it.

My roommate has the Big 12 edition and I couldn't find anything in there about the MVFC. I'll look again

smallcollegefbfan
June 30th, 2009, 08:56 AM
My roommate has the Big 12 edition and I couldn't find anything in there about the MVFC. I'll look again

It is at the very back of it.

andy7171
June 30th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Hey SmallCollegeFBFan(sic) this thread of yours is like an episode of LOST!

smallcollegefbfan
June 30th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Hey SmallCollegeFBFan(sic) this thread of yours is like an episode of LOST!

Yeah it is! I didn't mean for it to, I promise! :D

ASU
June 30th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Does anyone know if the Specific conference items have more than the Overall FCS that is in the ACC edition?

smallcollegefbfan
June 30th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Does anyone know if the Specific conference items have more than the Overall FCS that is in the ACC edition?

It has every conference and team in the ACC edition.

mcveyrl
June 30th, 2009, 09:32 AM

It has every conference and team in the ACC edition.

I think he was asking if it was just a "cut and paste" from the ACC edition or were the others more detailed.

smallcollegefbfan
June 30th, 2009, 09:39 AM
I think he was asking if it was just a "cut and paste" from the ACC edition or were the others more detailed.

The ACC teams have expanded writeups but the other regionals have the exact same stuff for that specific league in those mags as the ACC regional does. So the Big South has the same thing in the SEC regional as it does in the ACC regional.

mcveyrl
June 30th, 2009, 09:43 AM
The ACC teams have expanded writeups but the other regionals have the exact same stuff for that specific league in those mags as the ACC regional does. So the Big South has the same thing in the SEC regional as it does in the ACC regional.

Got it. xthumbsupx I was wondering the same thing.

Thanks.

smallcollegefbfan
June 30th, 2009, 10:41 AM

Thanks.

Anyone know how sales are going?

F'N Hawks
June 30th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Question: Phil is revealing his Top 40 FCS teams one at a time on his website, Philsteele.com. He has UNI at #39 in the country!?
Did everyone die in a plane crash or what is the deal with that? They are perennially a Top 10 team.

(Also, they are rated lower than Penn, Lafayette, and Florida A&M)

Thoughts?

smallcollegefbfan
July 1st, 2009, 02:23 PM
Go to this link and you will see the top 40 slowly being released over 8 days.

http://www.philsteele.com/

GeauxLions94
July 1st, 2009, 02:59 PM
This is how he sees the FCS Top 40, from 31-40 (releasing five per day over an eight-day period).

31. GA Southern
32. Illinois St
33. E Illinois
34. The Citadel
35. Central Arkansas
36. Penn
37. Lafayette
38. Florida A&M
39. Northen Arizona
40. Albany

www.philsteele.com (http://www.philsteele.com/)

smallcollegefbfan
July 1st, 2009, 03:08 PM
Very interesting picks. His pick of Hofstra at 7 is the most interesting one of them all. I really don't see them finishing that high. Anyone else think Hofstra finishes that high?

Syntax Error
July 1st, 2009, 03:30 PM
Anyone know how sales are going?

How much money do you make from the Steele (sic) mag?

smallcollegefbfan
July 1st, 2009, 03:35 PM

Thanks.

No problem! xthumbsupx

Tribe4SF
July 1st, 2009, 04:48 PM
Very interesting picks. His pick of Hofstra at 7 is the most interesting one of them all. I really don't see them finishing that high. Anyone else think Hofstra finishes that high?

Hofstra will likely be 2-3 heading into the Maine game, and would need to win out to come anywhere near the top 10. They should be better, but they need to be alot better to get more than six wins with their schedule.

MaximumBobcat
July 1st, 2009, 04:51 PM

Not even close.

Anybody check to see if Phil has got a son that just signed up to play Pride football? :D xrolleyesx

slycat
July 1st, 2009, 06:24 PM

Thanks for that info. I was wondering the same thing. Good to know that whoever buys the magazine will get at least some good FCS coverage/knowledge.

smallcollegefbfan
July 1st, 2009, 06:36 PM
Thanks for that info. I was wondering the same thing. Good to know that whoever buys the magazine will get at least some good FCS coverage/knowledge.

Thanks! I think they are doing a good job.

I would really like to see another credible outlet put a preview in newsstands so we have 2 or more good opinions on FCS that we can pick up in stores! xthumbsupx

slycat
July 1st, 2009, 06:40 PM
Thanks! I think they are doing a good job.

I would really like to see another credible outlet put a preview in newsstands so we have 2 or more good opinions on FCS that we can pick up in stores! xthumbsupx

The good thing about being a Southland Conference fan is that Dave Campbells Texas Football Magazine gives info on the teams in the conference as well.

smallcollegefbfan
July 1st, 2009, 06:52 PM
The good thing about being a Southland Conference fan is that Dave Campbells Texas Football Magazine gives info on the teams in the conference as well.

I have never seen a copy of that but I would love to. How big is it and do they cover the Texas teams in the SLC or the whole league?

slycat
July 1st, 2009, 08:36 PM
I have never seen a copy of that but I would love to. How big is it and do they cover the Texas teams in the SLC or the whole league?

I know the Texas schools each have a full page. Not sure about the LA schools, haven't picked up a copy yet. It throws in a conference projection as well.

smallcollegefbfan
July 1st, 2009, 08:44 PM
I know the Texas schools each have a full page. Not sure about the LA schools, haven't picked up a copy yet. It throws in a conference projection as well.

I will have to try and get my hands on one. Thanks for the info! Do they have a website?

slycat
July 1st, 2009, 08:51 PM
I will have to try and get my hands on one. Thanks for the info! Do they have a website?

http://www.texasfootball.com/

and to order a copy

http://hostproducts.net/AQUARIUS/index.asp?CartId={64C55FC8-835C-4FC6-8D27-EVERESTF325DB32FFF0}

smallcollegefbfan
July 1st, 2009, 09:01 PM
http://www.texasfootball.com/

and to order a copy

http://hostproducts.net/AQUARIUS/index.asp?CartId={64C55FC8-835C-4FC6-8D27-EVERESTF325DB32FFF0}

Very cool! Thanks for the links! Giving you rep points for that. I checked my FCS positional ratings and overall board and this is a down year for the state of Texas.

I had Bomar and many others ranked but this year just 1 player in my top 50 (#38 Jabara Williams SFA). It seems the top talent in Texas this year is #12 WR Osborne TSU, #2 LB Jabara Williams SFA, #12 RB Karrington Bush from Texas State, and Osborne is the #9 RS on my board as well. Really expect to see some names come out of nowhere so I will have to check that out and see if I am missing someone. I also have 2 QBs rated in the top 25 at their positions with SFA QB Jeremy Moses at #15 and Texas State QB Bradley George #17. Any players in the state that anyone thinks I am missing

slycat
July 1st, 2009, 09:10 PM
Very cool! Thanks for the links! Giving you rep points for that. I checked my FCS positional ratings and overall board and this is a down year for the state of Texas.

I had Bomar and many others ranked but this year just 1 player in my top 50 (#38 Jabara Williams SFA). It seems the top talent in Texas this year is #12 WR Osborne TSU, #2 LB Jabara Williams SFA, #12 RB Karrington Bush from Texas State, and Osborne is the #9 RS on my board as well. Really expect to see some names come out of nowhere so I will have to check that out and see if I am missing someone. I also have 2 QBs rated in the top 25 at their positions with SFA QB Jeremy Moses at #15 and Texas State QB Bradley George #17. Any players in the state that anyone thinks I am missing

Thats a good list. Defense is weak in Texas lately so hopefully some more names will come from that side of the ball later this year. James Aston (SHSU) is a RB too keep an eye on as well.

I'm hoping that Daren Dillard or Mishak Rivas steps up at WR for Texas State to fill the shoes of Cameron Luke.

smallcollegefbfan
July 1st, 2009, 09:12 PM
Thats a good list. Defense is weak in Texas lately so hopefully some more names will come from that side of the ball later this year. James Aston (SHSU) is a RB too keep an eye on as well.

I'm hoping that Daren Dillard or Mishak Rivas steps up at WR for Texas State to fill the shoes of Cameron Luke.

Thanks! Not a single Texas State WR made my top 55 now but I am sure someone will pop up! QB Bradley George is my highest rated FCS player from Texas in my NFL Draft rankings as the #97 overall small schooler. I liked him more than many of the scouts did and thought he was a possible PFA but they see him more as a tryout or reject at this point. I really liked his arm, size, etc. I think he has upside but I would agree that at this point he needs some work. His age doesn't help too much either with him spending time in the minor leagues playing baseball.

OL FU
July 7th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Lots of pages here so I don't know where the conversation left off but.............

26. San Diego
27 Gardner Webb
28 Furman
29 Cal Poly
31 Georgia Southern

I don't know if FU should be 28 but someone is going to have to do a lot of convincing for me to believe that GW and USD belong above FU, Cal Poly and GSUxeyebrowx

smallcollegefbfan
July 7th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Lots of pages here so I don't know where the conversation left off but.............

I don't know if FU should be 28 but someone is going to have to do a lot of convincing for me to believe that GW and USD belong above FU, Cal Poly and GSUxeyebrowx

Did you get your copy or are you reading from the website? If you go to www.philsteele.com they are gradually releasing the FCS top 40.

CrazyCat
July 7th, 2009, 12:04 PM
I'm confused at some of his reasoning. I'm going off memory but he said that if the passing game comes around for MSU then they have a good chance at the playoffs and MSU is at 30, which I can live with. Today he has NDSU at 16 even though he says they'll have to wait a year before making the playoffs. No knock on NDSU or Phil and I appreciate his efforts xpeacex

smallcollegefbfan
July 7th, 2009, 12:18 PM
I'm confused at some of his reasoning. I'm going off memory but he said that if the passing game comes around for MSU then they have a good chance at the playoffs and MSU is at 30, which I can live with. Today he has NDSU at 16 even though he says they'll have to wait a year before making the playoffs. No knock on NDSU or Phil and I appreciate his efforts xpeacex

Being ranked #16 usually means you are a bubble team for the playoffs because there seems to be 2-3 teams ranked around 18-30 who get auto bids and that would mean the top 13-14 teams are in with 15-17 usually on the bubble or on the outside looking in.

OL FU
July 7th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Did you get your copy or are you reading from the website? If you go to www.philsteele.com they are gradually releasing the FCS top 40.

I looked at the website. xnodx Predicting a top forty is not easy and you can always find some questions but I am flummoxed by that one.

smallcollegefbfan
July 7th, 2009, 01:07 PM
I looked at the website. xnodx Predicting a top forty is not easy and you can always find some questions but I am flummoxed by that one.

The one that baffles me the most is the Hofstra selection. I do know that Steele usually has 2-3 major surprises out of nowhere in his FBS top 40 and usually one, sometimes 2, turn out to be very close or dead on. It will be interesting to see if that is the case with his FCS rankings this year.

OL FU
July 7th, 2009, 01:16 PM
The one that baffles me the most is the Hofstra selection. I do know that Steele usually has 2-3 major surprises out of nowhere in his FBS top 40 and usually one, sometimes 2, turn out to be very close or dead on. It will be interesting to see if that is the case with his FCS rankings this year.

I think a surprise or two is a good thing to pick. We all know it is going to happen and if you pick the right one you look very smart.

As much as I would like to think GW has moved up close to the top 25 it is a little hard to believe. On the other hand USD ( I will admit I know nothing about them) is a pick where you can take a lot of credit but few people will really know just how good they are. Even when they were good with Johnson QBing, I am not sure anyone really knew how good they were after losing to UC Davis. It is one of those picks where USD could be 11-0 and no better than number 50 in the country. :( But if they are 11-0 they will more than likely be rated.

smallcollegefbfan
July 7th, 2009, 01:20 PM
I think a surprise or two is a good thing to pick. We all know it is going to happen and if you pick the right one you look very smart.

As much as I would like to think GW has moved up close to the top 25 it is a little hard to believe. On the other hand USD ( I will admit I know nothing about them) is a pick where you can take a lot of credit but few people will really know just how good they are. Even when they were good with Johnson QBing, I am not sure anyone really knew how good they were after losing to UC Davis. It is one of those picks where USD could be 11-0 and no better than number 50 in the country. :( But if they are 11-0 they will more than likely be rated.

Definitely true about USD. We will only know if they can somehow get in the playoffs to prove their talent.

I think the top 3 surprises in here are USD, GW, and Hofstra. Hofstra had a lot of injuries last year and if those injured players turn out to be stars they could be a darkhorse in their division. I am not projecting that personally but could see why Steele picked them as a sleeper when reading his write-up. Gardner-Webb is one that I don't get as well because they are not outstanding at QB but they do have the top LB trio in the southeast, maybe FCS, and they have a very good group of WRs. USD is one I would not put in the top 35 or so but if you look at their schedule and the fact they return Rogan they could easily put up big numbers.

OL FU
July 7th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Definitely true about USD. We will only know if they can somehow get in the playoffs to prove their talent.

I think the top 3 surprises in here are USD, GW, and Hofstra. Hofstra had a lot of injuries last year and if those injured players turn out to be stars they could be a darkhorse in their division. I am not projecting that personally but could see why Steele picked them as a sleeper when reading his write-up. Gardner-Webb is one that I don't get as well because they are not outstanding at QB but they do have the top LB trio in the southeast, maybe FCS, and they have a very good group of WRs. USD is one I would not put in the top 35 or so but if you look at their schedule and the fact they return Rogan they could easily put up big numbers.

That is the reason I think USD is there. Like I said, if they are undefeated then they will finish in the top 25 and like you said unless they get in the playoffs no one will ever know if they belong. :(

Maybe Northern Colorado will slip up and beat them:)

smallcollegefbfan
July 7th, 2009, 01:33 PM
That is the reason I think USD is there. Like I said, if they are undefeated then they will finish in the top 25 and like you said unless they get in the playoffs no one will ever know if they belong. :(

Maybe Northern Colorado will slip up and beat them:)

Now if they don't beat UNC then I don't care what they do in there in league I won't vote then my top 25 and would probably put them around 50.

BEAR
July 7th, 2009, 02:14 PM
The Bears at 35 and UC Davis at 24? Um. Phil....reverse that order. Even without N.B. back I think the 33 top ranked QB in the FBS leading the Bears down the field will do just fine. xnodx

That's just not a good list. IMO. (note the IMO people) xlolx

jmufan999
July 7th, 2009, 02:39 PM
JMU beat Hofstra 56-0 last year. find me a team in any conference that ever lost a conference game by 56 points then ended up in the top 7 the next year. i think he may have just gotten carried away when he said they would be the most improved team this year... to do what he's implying, they'd have to not only be the most improved this year but the most improved team of all time. not happening. not in 2009, and not in the CAA. 2010? who knows.

smallcollegefbfan
July 7th, 2009, 05:16 PM
JMU beat Hofstra 56-0 last year. find me a team in any conference that ever lost a conference game by 56 points then ended up in the top 7 the next year. i think he may have just gotten carried away when he said they would be the most improved team this year... to do what he's implying, they'd have to not only be the most improved this year but the most improved team of all time. not happening. not in 2009, and not in the CAA. 2010? who knows.

That is the pick that has me most surprised. My first feeling was what the heck? xconfusedx

kdinva
July 7th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Me, too. Ordered mine June 30, got it in today's mail. WOW. 130 pages for 1-AA! Excellent. Lots of small print and abbreviations (list of abbrv. on page 3xthumbsupx)

kdinva
July 7th, 2009, 07:37 PM
CitDog; this I do agree with you. Roberts is definitely one of the top 3-4 WR's in the country, just like I believe Tim Maypray is one of the top 10-12 offensive skill players in the nation.

F'N Hawks
July 8th, 2009, 01:52 PM
In Phil's blog today he talks about wanting to produce a All FCS Preview Magazine for 2010:

I want to talk to you once again about the FCS (1AA). When we were producing the 136 pages on FCS or 1AA football in our ACC/Big East Regional Magazine this year, it was very hard finding information on the teams. The only national magazines that have FCS coverage have very little. The Sporting News has the most and they only have 19 pages. My ACC/Big East Regional Magazine has 136 pages and is just like my national magazine as it is over 300 pages overall and very heavy. It is just $6.99 plus shipping and handling. You can order it right now at philsteele.com store.

I need to know the type of interest there is in the FCS. Last year the average attendance for the 124 teams was 8,128 which means that over 5.4 million fans attended an FCS game, so i know there is a desire for a magazine devoted ONLY to the FCS. I am not really going to make money doing a national FCS magazine but I love college football and would love to give the added exposure to those schools. I need to go to the distributor before the start of this years football season and line up a national FCS magazine if we are going to produce it. I am already working on moving the coverage to a FULL page on each FCS team and want to have the 2010 magazine
available nationally with over 200 pages of meaty information.

What can you do to make sure this happens. Buy this years ACC/Big East Regional Magazine. You won’t believe the amount of magazine you get for just $6.99. I would prefer you buy it in a bookstore but if you don't find it on the East Coast, then buy it on PhilSteele.com. Also if you are a business owner or someone who delegates advertising dollars for your national business then become a sponsor of the Phil Steele's 2010 FCS National Magazine. If I see an interest, I am willing to devote the man hours to producing a much needed magazine as information is scarce on FCS football.

He needs to see that people are buying the magazine and thus they are interested! Get out there and buy the ACC Preview Mag with the FCS in it. You will not be disappointed!!

smallcollegefbfan
July 8th, 2009, 01:59 PM
In Phil's blog today he talks about wanting to produce a All FCS Preview Magazine for 2010:

I want to talk to you once again about the FCS (1AA). When we were producing the 136 pages on FCS or 1AA football in our ACC/Big East Regional Magazine this year, it was very hard finding information on the teams. The only national magazines that have FCS coverage have very little. The Sporting News has the most and they only have 19 pages. My ACC/Big East Regional Magazine has 136 pages and is just like my national magazine as it is over 300 pages overall and very heavy. It is just $6.99 plus shipping and handling. You can order it right now at philsteele.com store.

I need to know the type of interest there is in the FCS. Last year the average attendance for the 124 teams was 8,128 which means that over 5.4 million fans attended an FCS game, so i know there is a desire for a magazine devoted ONLY to the FCS. I am not really going to make money doing a national FCS magazine but I love college football and would love to give the added exposure to those schools. I need to go to the distributor before the start of this years football season and line up a national FCS magazine if we are going to produce it. I am already working on moving the coverage to a FULL page on each FCS team and want to have the 2010 magazine
available nationally with over 200 pages of meaty information.

What can you do to make sure this happens. Buy this years ACC/Big East Regional Magazine. You won’t believe the amount of magazine you get for just $6.99. I would prefer you buy it in a bookstore but if you don't find it on the East Coast, then buy it on PhilSteele.com. Also if you are a business owner or someone who delegates advertising dollars for your national business then become a sponsor of the Phil Steele's 2010 FCS National Magazine. If I see an interest, I am willing to devote the man hours to producing a much needed magazine as information is scarce on FCS football.

He needs to see that people are buying the magazine and thus they are interested! Get out there and buy the ACC Preview Mag with the FCS in it. You will not be disappointed!!

I got mine a few weeks ago when I posted this thread and was very pleased and impressed!

Eagle22
July 8th, 2009, 02:40 PM

Georgia Southern beat Appalachian State 54-7 in 2004, and Appalachian finished the following season #1 .... granted that isn't 56 points, but it is proof that from one year to the next a lot can change.

smallcollegefbfan
July 8th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Georgia Southern beat Appalachian State 54-7 in 2004, and Appalachian finished the following season #1 .... granted that isn't 56 points, but it is proof that from one year to the next a lot can change.

Wow very good find! xthumbsupx I didn't even think about that game. What about the UMASS team that won the NC? They were like 4-7 the year before? Did they have any bad scores the year before their NC?

GOKATS
July 8th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Wow very good find! xthumbsupx I didn't even think about that game. What about the UMASS team that won the NC? They were like 4-7 the year before? Did they have any bad scores the year before their NC?

How's this for predictable?

'83 Montana St. went 1-10

'84 Montana St. went 12-2- Won the NC

'85 Montana St. went 2-9

elcid83
July 8th, 2009, 03:19 PM
I got mine a few weeks ago when I posted this thread and was very pleased and impressed!

I'm still looking for it to hit the shelves at my local Books-a-Million. I looked again yesterday and it hasn't gotten here yet. Hopefully soon.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

Uncle Buck
July 8th, 2009, 03:23 PM
...Hofstra had a lot of injuries last year and if those injured players turn out to be stars they could be a darkhorse in their division. ...

Thanks for pointing me to this thread from the other one about preseason polls. While i think #7 for HU is a big time stretch, i have to believe this team will be much improved over last year's squad that was riddled with injuries. We won't win the conference, but i would be comfortable saying that we could be or should be in every game.

As for last year's JMU game, snowball effect. A backup qb who got the start because they were trying to save the freshmen, a patchwork o-line, starting center out for the year, d-line out with injuries. It was like playing our practice squad and the kids rolled over. Definitely a different feel with injured 2008 starters coming back into the mix and young kids coming in with experience from last season.

#7, god no, but i don't think teams should be making us an automatic win just yet.

AtlantaMountaineer
July 8th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Hasn't found its way to Borders in Atlanta yet either as of yesterday.

Umass74
July 8th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Wow very good find! I didn't even think about that game. What about the UMASS team that won the NC? They were like 4-7 the year before? Did they have any bad scores the year before their NC?

We were actually 2-9 in 1997. We were on the short end of these scores:

Maine L 6-49
Delaware L 9-40
Hofstra L 13-51
Villanova L 27-49
BU L 8-33
UConn L 16-49

In 1998 we added Mark Whipple as HC and OC (now OC for Miami) and Don Brown as DC (now DC for Maryland) and things got better. xnodx

biggie
July 9th, 2009, 08:17 AM
The complete change in offense kinda throws off the relation to a normal year to year season progression. But still truthful I guess.

smallcollegefbfan
July 9th, 2009, 09:10 AM
How's this for predictable?

'83 Montana St. went 1-10

'84 Montana St. went 12-2- Won the NC

'85 Montana St. went 2-9

WOW! I had never heard that before. Just shows how unpredictable the college season is. People, many media outlets, think they know everything and think an off the wall pick is stupid and then things like that happen and prove that you can't say it is stupid until after the season! xthumbsupx

Uncle Buck
July 9th, 2009, 10:46 AM
We were actually 2-9 in 1997. We were on the short end of these scores:

Maine L 6-49
Delaware L 9-40
Hofstra L 13-51
Villanova L 27-49
BU L 8-33
UConn L 16-49

In 1998 we added Mark Whipple as HC and OC (now OC for Miami) and Don Brown as DC (now DC for Maryland) and things got better. xnodx

And 1998 was a hell of a year for you with some crazy games. I remember being at the HU game when we were up big on you and then you came back in the second half to win it.

jmufan999
July 12th, 2009, 08:05 PM
http://philsteele.com//

Right now, Montana is sitting at #4, which sounds about right to me. Richmond's a little high at #5, but I appreciate that he's going out on a limb, which he frequently does.

But I'm looking over the list, looking for all the teams JMU plays frequently, (Richmond, Villanova, W&M, etc.) and I notice he hasn't named Delaware yet!

At first, I was thinking he'd have UNH that was up there with Nova, but he's got UNH at #22.

Geez, Weber at #21 is a little disrespectful too.

Anyway, I'm guessing that he'll have Delaware in the top 3? Or maybe Southern Illinois? Cal Poly?

smallcollegefbfan
July 12th, 2009, 08:25 PM
http://philsteele.com//

Right now, Montana is sitting at #4, which sounds about right to me. Richmond's a little high at #5, but I appreciate that he's going out on a limb, which he frequently does.

But I'm looking over the list, looking for all the teams JMU plays frequently, (Richmond, Villanova, W&M, etc.) and I notice he hasn't named Delaware yet!

At first, I was thinking he'd have UNH that was up there with Nova, but he's got UNH at #22.

Geez, Weber at #21 is a little disrespectful too.

Anyway, I'm guessing that he'll have Delaware in the top 3? Or maybe Southern Illinois? Cal Poly?

Delaware is not in his top 3. I posted it a while back. It is post 42 here

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60230&page=2

Eight Legger
July 12th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Not terribly impressed with these rankings or team capsules. Seems like they were written by interns... Interns who don't know how to write coherent thoughts and who haven't actually watched any of the teams they're writing about. I don't really give this too much credibilty, even if it is Phil Steele. Hofstra at #7??! Come on dude.

smallcollegefbfan
July 12th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Not terribly impressed with these rankings or team capsules. Seems like they were written by interns... Interns who don't know how to write coherent thoughts and who haven't actually watched any of the teams they're writing about. I don't really give this too much credibilty, even if it is Phil Steele. Hofstra at #7??! Come on dude.

They just have a different style of writing. As we have talked about before they always have a few weird predictions and about half of them turn out right on or very close.

Eight Legger
July 12th, 2009, 08:30 PM
They just have a different style of writing. As we have talked about before they always have a few weird predictions and about half of them turn out right on or very close.

It's called "incomplete sentences." :D

smallcollegefbfan
July 12th, 2009, 08:33 PM

They do that on purpose. They abbreviate as much as possible to fit as much information as they can. They also use several sets of power rankings to do their ratings. Trust me, I was reading this stuff 10 plus years ago and I use to look at it and laugh but have come to realize that they just pack as much information in as possible and they do their homework. There is a reason that people at ESPN, Fox, etc. call it the best preseason magazine and I am just glad they are reaching out to FCS. You should listen to Steele's radio interviews and see how much he knows. He writes most of the FBS magazine himself. I don't think he has interns. Just do like I did and give him 3-4 years. Last year they were more accurate than we at AGS, TSN, or even the Coaches poll and they didn't even cover it weekly like the rest of us.

JmuSkinsfan
July 12th, 2009, 08:47 PM
I've got to imagine his final 3 includes Villanova and App State...only team I can think of is SIU but I don't know if they're worthy of #3? Interesting nonetheless.

McNeese75
July 12th, 2009, 09:14 PM
I don't see Tx State posted yet xwhistlex

ur2k
July 12th, 2009, 10:16 PM

Agreed, that's tough to read. And not much info on why they think the teams will finish like they predict.

Did any other preseason prediction have Hofstra in the top 20 - and they have them 7? If that comes true, I'll never doubt Phil Steele or his writing style again.

smallcollegefbfan
July 13th, 2009, 07:59 AM
I don't see Tx State posted yet xwhistlex

For some reason he left them out. I disagree with leaving them off. It will be interesting to see what happens.

smallcollegefbfan
July 13th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Agreed, that's tough to read. And not much info on why they think the teams will finish like they predict.

Did any other preseason prediction have Hofstra in the top 20 - and they have them 7? If that comes true, I'll never doubt Phil Steele or his writing style again.

They are the only ones. If Texas State is a .500 team and Hofstra wins 8 or more games I will definitely say he was much smarter than everyone else. Usually he has 1 or 2 of his 3-4 weird top 30 picks incorrect but in this case he really needs Hofstra to be one of the ones who stick or else he will has some egg on his face for picking them randomly like he has.

AtlantaMountaineer
July 13th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Picked up the ACC Big East FCS copy this weekend. Packed with information on FCS. However, I was disappointed in the editing. i.e. App State was completely left out of the 2007SoCon Standings even though they were co-champions, terrible grammar, etc. Makes me question who's doing the writing and editing.

smallcollegefbfan
July 13th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Picked up the ACC Big East FCS copy this weekend. Packed with information on FCS. However, I was disappointed in the editing. i.e. App State was completely left out of the 2007SoCon Standings even though they were co-champions, terrible grammar, etc. Makes me question who's doing the writing and editing.

As mentioned earlier the way they write is their style that they have always done. They try to abbreviate when they can. Yeah every magazine I pick up has some editing errors. Lindy's, Athlon, CSN, Phil Steele, etc. all have had some bad looking errors. I think these mags hurry to get the information out by a certain date instead of making sure they don't have any errors. There are always 3-4 errors I find in these previews.

Uncle Buck
July 13th, 2009, 11:42 AM
They are the only ones. If Texas State is a .500 team and Hofstra wins 8 or more games I will definitely say he was much smarter than everyone else. Usually he has 1 or 2 of his 3-4 weird top 30 picks incorrect but in this case he really needs Hofstra to be one of the ones who stick or else he will has some egg on his face for picking them randomly like he has.

Like is said earlier, Hofstra will be better this year and yes, as a fan i love the prediction, but it is definitely way out there. The Dutch could surprise a few teams this year, but even i chuckled at #7. They shouldn't even be a top 25 team at this point until they get some wins.

Then again, maybe Phile Steele is the smartest man alive! xnodx

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 13th, 2009, 12:12 PM
People, the Phile Steele rankings are already posted in this thread...they are on page 5. SIU, App. State, and Villanova take the top 3 spots.

I can believe that Hofstra could be a top-25, but number 7? Not too sure about that.

Also, and I'm really sorry, but I just don't see a 5-6 Big South team that is losing their QB and their top WR being better than a 6-5 and 7-5 SoCon teams. Gardner-Webb is going to have their hands full beating WCU in Cullowhee as it is (look at how they played Liberty and GSU there last year).

OL FU
July 13th, 2009, 12:20 PM
People, the Phile Steele rankings are already posted in this thread...they are on page 5. SIU, App. State, and Villanova take the top 3 spots.

I can believe that Hofstra could be a top-25, but number 7? Not too sure about that.

Also, and I'm really sorry, but I just don't see a 5-6 Big South team that is losing their QB and their top WR being better than a 6-5 and 7-5 SoCon teams. Gardner-Webb is going to have their hands full beating WCU in Cullowhee as it is (look at how they played Liberty and GSU there last year).

I agree. I won't scoff at the Hostra rating. I have no clue but certainly the conference they are in means a team with a so- so record still could be a very good team. It could happen with GW but I think their so so record would be more difficult to overcome, at least as far as a national ranking.

Uncle Buck
July 13th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I agree. I won't scoff at the Hostra rating. I have no clue but certainly the conference they are in means a team with a so- so record still could be a very good team. It could happen with GW but I think their so so record would be more difficult to overcome, at least as far as a national ranking.

HU shouldn't be ranked anywhere, and i truly believe that. I think they will be better than last year, but still way too many question marks and young kids who need to step up.

Nobody wins or loses a conference title in July, let's beat Stony Brook on Sept. 5th, and we'll go from there. xnodx

Seawolf97
July 13th, 2009, 08:21 PM
HU shouldn't be ranked anywhere, and i truly believe that. I think they will be better than last year, but still way too many question marks and young kids who need to step up.

Nobody wins or loses a conference title in July, let's beat Stony Brook on Sept. 5th, and we'll go from there. xnodx

Looking forward to that one. It will be good opening test to see if we regrouped from last year;)

Houndawg
July 13th, 2009, 10:16 PM
I think this is a pretty horrendous list, all-around. Southern Illinois, Eastern Washington, North Dakota State and UMass over Weber State and UNH. I would have both teams above all 4 of them.

Glad to see he's weighing what teams accomplished as a group last year, heavily. I don't know if he's trying to stake a name for himself, but putting SIU at #3 after they lost their best player is laughable.

Not laughable at all. He has a good chance of making name for himself picking SIU #3.xnodx

You're probably feeling slighted because you beat SIU on the road last year, and my congratulations for finding a way to win, but what you're missing is that 10 defensive starters and seven offensive starters return. A group picked fifth in the MVC that went 9-2 while learning a new system from a coach that didn't recruit them. I think that people who know the game recognize what kind of achievement that was. Don't forget that last year your defense and special teams accounted for 22 out of 29 points. Local insiders say that the D is better right now in spite of losing McCloud. Dale Lennon has a very good shot at bringing another NC to SIU and doing it with somebody elses players.

Uncle Buck
July 14th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Looking forward to that one. It will be good opening test to see if we regrouped from last year;)

We need to get off to a good start because after Stony Brook and Bryant, we jump into a tough four game stretch at Richmond, at Western Michigan, JMU, Maine.

I'm interested to see our QB situation. Probst the true frosh who finished our season last year looked very good in the spring. Reports that i hear are that the other frosh who came in with him is even better. We shall see.

smallcollegefbfan
July 16th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Several schools have done press releases on the awards. Here are a few of the links I have found.

http://www.tribeathletics.com/story.php/8992/

http://samfordsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/071509aaa.html

http://www.valpoathletics.com/news/default/147/9050/

http://www.citadelsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=9700&ATCLID=204762243

If your school did a release please post it! xthumbsupx

I-AA Fan
July 16th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by WrenFGun View Post

EWU I can agree with you.

For UMASS, the loss of Coen is quite big, so I am going to stay neutral. Impact player in the kicker is lost as well. Also, I think they lost their center, if any Minutefans care to help. However, their recruiting has been strong (ignoring last year), so they are loaded with quality starters. ALso, Morris may be a rookie HC, but he is tenured with the team

As to Weber, McBride has given Wildcat fans something to be proud of, but one season does not a dynasty make. UNH is good club, they certainly had their way with UMASS last year, so you have a point in that regard, but the loss of 3 OB's & 2 DB's is big. They lost 2 starters and a back-up up front on O, a good WR. That is about par for a club, so I would not expect a huge drop-off.

Do you even follow the Gateway/MVFC?

You may have mild argument with NDSU, only because they had a very poor 2008 campaign ...but "CYA" here for Steele and anyone that knows the Bison.

SIU is the clear top pick in the conference for 2009, and esily deserving a pre-season ranking above any team in the CAA or the Sky. UNI lost an enormous level of talent. The salukis return 18 of 22 starters, from a team that was very young last year. So which is this "best player lost" ...the mighty midget Warner? His only success came from the fact that he was too small to tackle or see. He was a a starter on offense because Karian (the projected starter) went down. Warner was the bane of the Saluki offense in the red-zone. Karian is a stud up close, and he was hurt early last year. White is quite versatile in the backfield, but he does tend to spend too much time "slashing" and "dashing".

Now they return all but 1 starter on defense, the conference's best corners ...all three of them. their QB, three top receivers (2 Wr's & TE). Down front they lose a good guard, but BSU transfer Purdy did well last year, & he really should be considered a starter, he played almost the whole second-half of the season. Lennon is no longer a "rookie" at the helm & he has new stadium coming (although not for 2009). This is all a guessing game at this point, and Steele seems to have done his homework with the Salukis.

CrunchGriz
July 16th, 2009, 03:49 PM

For UMASS, the loss of Coen is quite big, so I am going to stay neutral. Impact player in the kicker is lost as well. Also, I think they lost their center, if any Minutefans care to help. However, their recruiting has been strong (ignoring last year), so they are loaded with quality starters. ALso, Morris may be a rookie HC, but he is tenured with the team

As to Weber, McBride has given Wildcat fans something to be proud of, but one season does not a dynasty make. UNH is good club, they certainly had their way with UMASS last year, so you have a point in that regard, but the loss of 3 OB's & 2 DB's is big. They lost 2 starters and a back-up up front on O, a good WR. That is about par for a club, so I would not expect a huge drop-off.

You may have mild argument with NDSU, only because they had a very poor 2008 campaign ...but "CYA" here for Steele and anyone that knows the Bison.

SIU is the clear top pick in the conference for 2009, and esily deserving a pre-season ranking above any team in the CAA or the Sky. UNI lost an enormous level of talent. The salukis return 18 of 22 starters, from a team that was very young last year. So which is this "best player lost" ...the mighty midget Warner? His only success came from the fact that he was too small to tackle or see. He was a a starter on offense because Karian (the projected starter) went down. Warner was the bane of the Saluki offense in the red-zone. Karian is a stud up close, and he was hurt early last year. White is quite versatile in the backfield, but he does tend to spend too much time "slashing" and "dashing".

Now they return all but 1 starter on defense, the conference's best corners ...all three of them. their QB, three top receivers (2 Wr's & TE). Down front they lose a good guard, but BSU transfer Purdy did well last year, & he really should be considered a starter, he played almost the whole second-half of the season. Lennon is no longer a "rookie" at the helm & he has new stadium coming (although not for 2009). This is all a guessing game at this point, and Steele seems to have done his homework with the Salukis.

'Easily' better than Montana or Richmond? Really?

jmufan999
July 16th, 2009, 05:05 PM

right.... that really doesn't prove anything.... because they FINISHED the season #1. they didn't START the season #1.

and all of you chiming in about my comment missed the point as well. Hofstra will deserve to FINISH the season #1, IF they do what App State did that year... win the national championship. you missed my point, which was that they shouldn't be PRESEASON #(whatever they're ranked by Phil Steele and many others).

jmufan999
July 16th, 2009, 05:08 PM
and in general, you could probably find tons of teams that had a crappy year then won it all... does anyone want a cookie for finding such a scenario? the point is that there is no real justification for them being ranked #7 (i feel like that was the number) AT THIS POINT. what evidence do we have to say they should be there? anyone? Bueller???

smallcollegefbfan
July 16th, 2009, 06:06 PM
http://centralillinoisproud.com/content/fulltext/?cid=68612

smallcollegefbfan
July 16th, 2009, 06:28 PM
http://www.bryantbulldogs.com/sports/fball/2009/News/2009July16-PreseasonIndependent

Houndawg
July 16th, 2009, 08:50 PM

He has indeed done his homework. I thought Wren was referring to DE/OLB James Cloud as the best player (and only starter) lost on the defensive side, everybody knows Warner was a return man/spot player pressed into service because of injuries to Deji Karim and Richard White. xconfusedx

You'd think more people would recognize that to spend your first season playing a base 3-4 after being recruited to play a 4-3, hold your opponents to 21.3 ppg while doing it and force 30 turnovers, with one senior starting, requires some talent.

Houndawg
July 16th, 2009, 08:52 PM
'Easily' better than Montana or Richmond? Really?

I don't know about easily, but SIU is a Top 5 teamthis year. I like them and Nova in the finals.

turbodean
July 16th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Five Fordham Rams Named Preseason All-Patriot League by Phil Steele's College Football Preview

http://www.fordhamsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/071609aaa.html

If anyone has the link where these are posted on the Phil steele site I would appreciate it if you would post it.

smallcollegefbfan
July 16th, 2009, 09:10 PM
http://sfajacks.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/071609aaa.html

smallcollegefbfan
July 16th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Five Fordham Rams Named Preseason All-Patriot League by Phil Steele's College Football Preview

http://www.fordhamsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/071609aaa.html

If anyone has the link where these are posted on the Phil steele site I would appreciate it if you would post it.

They are in the magazine. Have you picked one up yet?

RichH2
July 16th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Up here in New York the only Steele issue I could find was the National, no regional issues. If anyone knows where I can get one near NYC?

turbodean
July 16th, 2009, 09:42 PM
They are in the magazine. Have you picked one up yet?

Not yet. B&N did not have it in a week ago. I'm going back tomorrow night, if they still don't have I will order a couple online.

smallcollegefbfan
July 16th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Up here in New York the only Steele issue I could find was the National, no regional issues. If anyone knows where I can get one near NYC?

I would go to www.philsteele.com and order it that way. They will ship it to you!

turbodean
July 16th, 2009, 10:48 PM
I would go to www.philsteele.com and order it that way. They will ship it to you!

Yep, that's what I did last year. thanks.

Seawolf97
July 17th, 2009, 09:37 PM

I ordered mine online. Tough to find in the stores.

Uncle Buck
July 18th, 2009, 07:44 AM
and in general, you could probably find tons of teams that had a crappy year then won it all... does anyone want a cookie for finding such a scenario? the point is that there is no real justification for them being ranked #7 (i feel like that was the number) AT THIS POINT. what evidence do we have to say they should be there? anyone? Bueller???

My only evidence is that Phil Steele was voted the smartest man alive in an underground Hofstra poll. xrulesx

turbodean
July 18th, 2009, 05:56 PM
SmallCollegeFBFan - I just got my copy. Wow, good stuff.

I went to 2 different Barnes & Nobles and one only had the National edition the other only had the National and the SEC Regional issue. I was about to give up and order online, but my wife found it at the local news stand.

I'm going to go back tomorrow to get a few more. Need to support the effort by Steele, maybe we'll get our own magazine. Whoever gets this needs to fill out the questionaire on back page and send in to him, be sure to tell him we FCS fans want our own issue.

smallcollegefbfan
July 18th, 2009, 09:07 PM
SmallCollegeFBFan - I just got my copy. Wow, good stuff.

I went to 2 different Barnes & Nobles and one only had the National edition the other only had the National and the SEC Regional issue. I was about to give up and order online, but my wife found it at the local news stand.

I'm going to go back tomorrow to get a few more. Need to support the effort by Steele, maybe we'll get our own magazine. Whoever gets this needs to fill out the questionaire on back page and send in to him, be sure to tell him we FCS fans want our own issue.

I thought it was great as well! Some little things they could tweak but overall very good! xthumbsupx

I agree on the support of them. I know they are putting out copies at several league media days and that should help spread the word as well!

smallcollegefbfan
July 19th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Here is a link to all of their preseason awards.

http://www.philsteele.com/FCSINFO/Allconf_Allamerican/2009FCSpressnTms.html

McNeese75
July 19th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Interesting,

How is Aramanti Edwards and all the rest of those Southern athletes going to represent the Southland conference? xeyebrowx

smallcollegefbfan
July 19th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Interesting,

How is Aramanti Edwards and all the rest of those Southern athletes going to represent the Southland conference? xeyebrowx

WOW big typo. I didn't read through them all. I just saw they posted it recently and thought I would post. I will email them and let them know!

andy7171
July 20th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Does anyone have any digital images of the magazine? It's a free country right?

elcid83
July 20th, 2009, 12:27 PM
I finally found the mag in Aiken, SC at Kroger! But, I had to look behind the SEC Preview Mag in order to find it. I bought 2 copies to do my best to support the magazine. I'll probably just tear out the ACC and Big East pages unless Va Tech happens to be better than expected this year. I really don't see any of the rest of the teams in those 2 conferences having much impact on the FBS National Championship picture.

I enjoyed the level of detail and SmallCollege I have to admit that it looks like Phil may have analyzed the Big South very similarly to the way I did it in my post a couple of weeks ago. GW's experience and big home game schedule [Liberty and Stony Brook] should really help them out this year as they seek to return to the top of the Big South. In any event, I highly recommend the magazine to everyone.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

smallcollegefbfan
July 20th, 2009, 12:53 PM
I finally found the mag in Aiken, SC at Kroger! But, I had to look behind the SEC Preview Mag in order to find it. I bought 2 copies to do my best to support the magazine. I'll probably just tear out the ACC and Big East pages unless Va Tech happens to be better than expected this year. I really don't see any of the rest of the teams in those 2 conferences having much impact on the FBS National Championship picture.

I enjoyed the level of detail and SmallCollege I have to admit that it looks like Phil may have analyzed the Big South very similarly to the way I did it in my post a couple of weeks ago. GW's experience and big home game schedule [Liberty and Stony Brook] should really help them out this year as they seek to return to the top of the Big South. In any event, I highly recommend the magazine to everyone.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

Yeah I thought he did a solid job. Always great to have that type of info in our hands! xthumbsupx

Kats86
July 25th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Phil Steele is on the verge of doing the nations first "National College Football Magazine of all NCAA Division I-A FCS Football Schools only.

Below are some excepts from my posts on Katfans.com (Sam Houston State University fan site) regarding this.

If you are like me and are sick and tired of no National FCS College Football Coverage... here is our change as a whole to change this.

As noted below, I received the Phil Steele ACC & BIG EAST magazine today and it is absolutely off the hook statistical coverage along with beautiful glossy FULL COLOR action photographs of players from practically every FCS program.

This is quite simply the best coverage of FCS Football I have ever seen, although I did subscribe to the I-AA.ORG magazines when they were done and they were also very well done.

Please call Phil Steele's office and push for MORE FCS Coverage. Pay the 7.99 for the current ACC & BIG East Football Magazine which has over 100 pages of full color FCS Coverage.

You will be thanking me... it is simply amazing.

Kats86

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Except from Katfans.com 7/23/2009

I called and talked with Phil Steele's office today (7/23/2009) (Phone: 1-866-918-7711) up in Cleveland, Ohio regarding their potential to publish the first ever Major ALL FCS College Football Magazine for National production.

They confirmed to me that this is DEFINITELY in the works and is on the board with Phil to potentially be done. Phil wants to have at least one page fully dedicated to all of the current 125 teams that make up NCAA Division I-FCS College Football. (NCAA Division I-FBS currently has only 120 teams).

They told me on the phone today.....All Phil is waiting on is response and support from the FCS Community of Fans to take the dip and actually do this thing (meaning call him, show him the interest, potentially purchase his current 100 pages of coverage in the ACC/Big East Regional magazine, and let his staff know you would support an all FCS National magazine) .

Currently, as mentioned in a earlier post, Phil Steele already offers over 100 pages of strictly FCS team coverage which is incorporated into the current ACC/BIG EAST Regional College Football magazine which you can order from them now. Phil has Mr. Jim Seman already tracking all the stats and team information for every FBS and FCS school now... so he already has most of the information required to actually publish an ALL FCS Only Magazine now if he had the interest. Of course with the season approaching this won't happen this year, but if the FCS Community of Schools/Fans rallied up and all contacted Phil to show the interest.... this would happen.

Once again..... It's all up to us! Do your part.... because nobody will take care of us but us!

If any of you are members of other FCS National boards or frequesnt big boards like the Montana Griz site, McNeese's site, etc., you might want to copy this post and let them know about this. All of this coverage can only help immensely EVERY FCS PROGRAM, CONFERENCE AND UNIVERSITY by bringing FCS into the MAIN STAGE NATIONALLY!

If a major publication like Phil Steele's does this... what do you think the other competitor magazines will do? This could be huge for FCS!

If you cannot call Phil's office and potentially order the ACC/BIG East Regional magazine with the 100 plus pages of FCS coverage now, at least call his office and let them know you would support an all FCS Mag. and also if you have his current magazine please tear out the survey on page 326 and send it in referencing your FCS mag interest.

Think about it!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EXCERPT FROM KATFANS.COM FOLLOW UP DATED 7/25/2009:

Well,

I know it sounds like I am pimping the Phil Steele's magazines lately, but I just received my ordered version of the BIG EAST/ACC magazine in the mail today. This is the Phil Steele Regional Magazine which includes over 100 pages of NCAA Division I-A FCS Coverage!

Folks.... THIS IS ABSOLUTELY PHENOMINAL! The Soutland Conference alone has 9 pages covering the various schools in the Conference... pictures are all phenominal glossy FULL COLOR!Lastly, this guys data base on our conference is OFF THE HOOK!

He includes full conference standing stats on teams and individuals in every offensive and defensive catagory, turnover margins, tackles, returning starters, coaching records, last 3 years of complete schedules, playoff statistics, with every team covered with color photos, logos, etc.

If you are not ordering this magazine from his office you are just FLAT MISSING OUT, lastly if this is a precursor of what he will do with an all FCS Magazine..... LOOK OUT!

I do not know of ANY COLLEGE FOOTBALL MAGAZINE past or present which has given the Southland Conference 9 full pages of coverage

Head Cat
July 25th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Would not be "the nation's first." College Sporting News/I-AA.org has published several nice I-AA/FCS yearbooks over the past few years.

Kats86
July 25th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Yes, I mentioned that in my post. I have all of those that were done in my library. They were EXCELLENT......honestly though, now looking at Phils 100 pages in this ACC&BIG EAST regional magazine which is a sampling of what he wants to do in his all FCS MAGAZINE for the near future, he does an equally well or better job. Everything is in all color. Really nice, you won't be dissappointed.

smallcollegefbfan
July 25th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Phil Steele is on the verge of doing the nations first "National College Football Magazine of all NCAA Division I-A FCS Football Schools only.

Below are some excepts from my posts on Katfans.com (Sam Houston State University fan site) regarding this.

If you are like me and are sick and tired of no National FCS College Football Coverage... here is our change as a whole to change this.

As noted below, I received the Phil Steele ACC & BIG EAST magazine today and it is absolutely off the hook statistical coverage along with beautiful glossy FULL COLOR action photographs of players from practically every FCS program.

This is quite simply the best coverage of FCS Football I have ever seen, although I did subscribe to the I-AA.ORG magazines when they were done and they were also very well done.

Please call Phil Steele's office and push for MORE FCS Coverage. Pay the 7.99 for the current ACC & BIG East Football Magazine which has over 100 pages of full color FCS Coverage.

You will be thanking me... it is simply amazing.

Kats86

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Except from Katfans.com 7/23/2009

I called and talked with Phil Steele's office today (7/23/2009) (Phone: 1-866-918-7711) up in Cleveland, Ohio regarding their potential to publish the first ever Major ALL FCS College Football Magazine for National production.

They confirmed to me that this is DEFINITELY in the works and is on the board with Phil to potentially be done. Phil wants to have at least one page fully dedicated to all of the current 125 teams that make up NCAA Division I-FCS College Football. (NCAA Division I-FBS currently has only 120 teams).

They told me on the phone today.....All Phil is waiting on is response and support from the FCS Community of Fans to take the dip and actually do this thing (meaning call him, show him the interest, potentially purchase his current 100 pages of coverage in the ACC/Big East Regional magazine, and let his staff know you would support an all FCS National magazine) .

Currently, as mentioned in a earlier post, Phil Steele already offers over 100 pages of strictly FCS team coverage which is incorporated into the current ACC/BIG EAST Regional College Football magazine which you can order from them now. Phil has Mr. Jim Seman already tracking all the stats and team information for every FBS and FCS school now... so he already has most of the information required to actually publish an ALL FCS Only Magazine now if he had the interest. Of course with the season approaching this won't happen this year, but if the FCS Community of Schools/Fans rallied up and all contacted Phil to show the interest.... this would happen.

Once again..... It's all up to us! Do your part.... because nobody will take care of us but us!

If any of you are members of other FCS National boards or frequesnt big boards like the Montana Griz site, McNeese's site, etc., you might want to copy this post and let them know about this. All of this coverage can only help immensely EVERY FCS PROGRAM, CONFERENCE AND UNIVERSITY by bringing FCS into the MAIN STAGE NATIONALLY!

If a major publication like Phil Steele's does this... what do you think the other competitor magazines will do? This could be huge for FCS!

If you cannot call Phil's office and potentially order the ACC/BIG East Regional magazine with the 100 plus pages of FCS coverage now, at least call his office and let them know you would support an all FCS Mag. and also if you have his current magazine please tear out the survey on page 326 and send it in referencing your FCS mag interest.

Think about it!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EXCERPT FROM KATFANS.COM FOLLOW UP DATED 7/25/2009:

Well,

I know it sounds like I am pimping the Phil Steele's magazines lately, but I just received my ordered version of the BIG EAST/ACC magazine in the mail today. This is the Phil Steele Regional Magazine which includes over 100 pages of NCAA Division I-A FCS Coverage!

Folks.... THIS IS ABSOLUTELY PHENOMINAL! The Soutland Conference alone has 9 pages covering the various schools in the Conference... pictures are all phenominal glossy FULL COLOR!Lastly, this guys data base on our conference is OFF THE HOOK!

He includes full conference standing stats on teams and individuals in every offensive and defensive catagory, turnover margins, tackles, returning starters, coaching records, last 3 years of complete schedules, playoff statistics, with every team covered with color photos, logos, etc.

If you are not ordering this magazine from his office you are just FLAT MISSING OUT, lastly if this is a precursor of what he will do with an all FCS Magazine..... LOOK OUT!

I do not know of ANY COLLEGE FOOTBALL MAGAZINE past or present which has given the Southland Conference 9 full pages of coverage

I have been trying to push this for a while here but I am very glad others are joining in. This is a great chance to get the FCS more national exposure. Thanks for the post!! xthumbsupx

Kats86
July 25th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Amen Small CollegeFBfan:

I hope everyone realizes how big this is...as mentioned earlier I know the College Sporting News/I-AA.ORG did some very nice all FCS School (I-AA then) magazines, they are not on the national level as far as a College Football Magazine as Phil Steele is.

Currently Phil Steele's FBS Magazine is the #1 reference tool of most so called College Football Experts/ Sports announcers at the FBS level.

If Phil Steele identifies the NCAA Division I-A FCS level of College Football as he is currently doing to be a source of a National Magazine, then competing National Magazine makers like Athlons, Sporting News, etc. will almost certainly follow suit.

On Page 11 of Phil Steele's current national FBS College Football Magazine he talks about his plans to do an all FCS magazine and how he has the data but is needing the FCS School community to contact his office and show an interest. He also encourages all current magazine owners to fill out their surveys in each magazine (on page 326 in his National Magazine) and mail them in to let him know you want an "all FCS College Football Magazine".

Phil notes on Page 11 that currently their are more I-A FCS Schools (125) than there at FBS Schools (120) playing college football. He recognizes this as a HUGE MARKET for his company.

GREAT FOR HIM.... bottom line, if he does a National ALL FCS SCHOOL ONLY magazine, imagine the coverage for all of our various FCS Schools, Our Conference, our teams, our players! This could be HUGE!!!!!!

If you call Phil's office (1-866-918-7711) to order the current ACC&BIG EAST REGIONAL MAGAZINE which has the current (over 100 pages) of FCS Coverage and full color photographs....let the person at the office know you are ordering it for the FCS Coverage!

Lets all support this FCS coverage!

Head Cat
July 25th, 2009, 04:28 PM
If you like lots of stats, the Phil Steele magazine is indeed great (just got my copy yesterday). But the CSN/I-AA.org yearbooks had a lot more in the way of in-depth articles, pictures and other qualities. Like them both, but in my book the CSN ones were better.

Head Cat
July 25th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Amen Small CollegeFBfan:

I hope everyone realizes how big this is...as mentioned earlier I know the College Sporting News/I-AA.ORG did some very nice all FCS School (I-AA then) magazines, they are not on the national level as far as a College Football Magazine as Phil Steele is.

Currently Phil Steele's FBS Magazine is the #1 reference tool of most so called College Football Experts/ Sports announcers at the FBS level.

If Phil Steele identifies the NCAA Division I-A FCS level of College Football as he is currently doing to be a source of a National Magazine, then competing National Magazine makers like Athlons, Sporting News, etc. will almost certainly follow suit.

On Page 11 of Phil Steele's current national FBS College Football Magazine he talks about his plans to do an all FCS magazine and how he has the data but is needing the FCS School community to contact his office and show an interest. He also encourages all current magazine owners to fill out their surveys in each magazine (on page 326 in his National Magazine) and mail them in to let him know you want an "all FCS College Football Magazine".

Phil notes on Page 11 that currently their are more I-A FCS Schools (125) than there at FBS Schools (120) playing college football. He recognizes this as a HUGE MARKET for his company.

GREAT FOR HIM.... bottom line, if he does a National ALL FCS SCHOOL ONLY magazine, imagine the coverage for all of our various FCS Schools, Our Conference, our teams, our players! This could be HUGE!!!!!!

If you call Phil's office (1-866-918-7711) to order the current ACC&BIG EAST REGIONAL MAGAZINE which has the current (over 100 pages) of FCS Coverage and full color photographs....let the person at the office know you are ordering it for the FCS Coverage!

Lets all support this FCS coverage!

The CSN mags did have stuff by nationally-based writers like David Coulson and Matt Daugherty and a lot of regional stuff by some top-notch writers from around the country that cover FCS teams on a regular basis. Phil Steele may have a national reputation for FBS, but how many FCS games do you think he actually watches? Those other folks were/are experts in the realm of FCS. Still, I'm glad for ANY coverage that FCS gets around the country.

smallcollegefbfan
July 25th, 2009, 04:42 PM
The CSN mags did have stuff by nationally-based writers like David Coulson and Matt Daugherty and a lot of regional stuff by some top-notch writers from around the country that cover FCS teams on a regular basis. Phil Steele may have a national reputation for FBS, but how many FCS games do you think he actually watches? Those other folks were/are experts in the realm of FCS. Still, I'm glad for ANY coverage that FCS gets around the country.

They are going to do more articles once they have a FCS only magazine. That is one thing I liked about CSN as well. I have talked to people in their office about having writers like David Coulson and others who cover FCS all year around once they have a FCS only magazine. One thing as well is that I am going to make sure the NFL has these and I don't mean like when other people send each team a complimentary magazine. Most teams just throw away or give to one of their kids because they could care less. I am going to hand deliver one to scouts once this gets out because I know they will use it when they see what type of information will be included when they do a FCS only magazine.

Uncle Buck
July 25th, 2009, 04:55 PM
I've been looking for the magazine everywhere and can't find it. I may have to order it online. I am definitely up for a full FCS national mag.

Head Cat
July 25th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Try looking at Borders, or similar type book stores. You want the ACC-Big East version. It has 300 pages and about half of it is FCS stuff.

smallcollegefbfan
July 25th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Try looking at Borders, or similar type book stores. You want the ACC-Big East version. It has 300 pages and about half of it is FCS stuff.

Wal-Mart might have it at their newsstand as well.

I have pointed some people in the Phil Steele office over here to AGS. Hopefully Phil or someone in the office will make a public appearance and let us know who they are. It would be great to have them come over here and give some insight into that magazine. Must say that I agree with those at ESPN and the other media outlets that this magazine has the most and best information of any other preview out there. Let's hope we see that same amount and quality of information on the FCS next year in a FCS only magazine! xthumbsupx

Uncle Buck
July 25th, 2009, 06:03 PM
I'll run out tomorrow morning and check out the wal-mart newsstand since the B&N and Borders didn't have it.

smallcollegefbfan
July 25th, 2009, 06:08 PM
I'll run out tomorrow morning and check out the wal-mart newsstand since the B&N and Borders didn't have it.

And if not I would try to order online.

One thing too is that people here need to email them because they have not been getting many emails in regards to the blogs when they post about wanting feedback on FCS to help them gauge if they are going to do a FCS only magazine.

One more thing, if anyone has connections to their campus bookstore they are looking at putting regional covers in bookstores such as a Montana player on a cover and putting mags in their bookstore or other schools like ASU, Delaware, Richmond, etc. If you think it would sell well in your school bookstore you need to email them. They will try to have those covers in campus bookstores next year, if there is a market for it.