PDA

View Full Version : FCS Schools and area around them?

FCSrecruit
June 6th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I'm an upcoming senior at my high school and I'm being recruited by a lot of the SoCon schools. I was wondering if someone would know which of the SoCon schools needs the most help on their Offensive line with me being a lineman. I also wanted to know which school has the best surrounding area, is a successful team, and has the most things to do at their school. Also a couple schools from the CAA including William and Mary and Old Dominion were looking at me and I just wanted to know whats around the colleges. Thanks

93henfan
June 6th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Welcome aboard FCSrecruit. There are a ton of posters from all the schools you mentioned here on this board and you are sure to get a ton of responses, many very opinionated. It should be a fun thread to watch.

By the way, have you looked at Delaware? xsmiley_wix

Reign of Terrier
June 6th, 2009, 01:49 PM
In terms of starting early you might want to try App, Furman, or Elon

It may be a homer vote but in terms of OL performance I would say that Wofford has the best OL coaches.

Tribe4SF
June 6th, 2009, 02:14 PM
As far as o-line needs are concerned, I think you'll find that the better FCS programs try to get a few offensive lineman each year, and that most expect their recruits to take a couple of years to develop the strength, and skills needed to be a starter. As an example, W&M will probably start a sophomore, three juniors, and one senior on its OL this year. Good FCS teams try to carry about 15 offensive linemen on their roster.

As far as surrounding area, Williamsburg, VA is a beautiful, and historic place, with lots of water nearby, Busch Gardens, and Water Country USA. W&M is not a big party school, and the academics are demanding, so if you're not a strong and serious student, it can be tough. There's a family feeling to this small university. In the words of Derek Cox, third round pick of the Jacksonville Jaguars in this years NFL draft..."There is a sense of pride, trust and caring by everyone around you at W&M- they want you to succeed. William and Mary can set you up for big things."

Reign of Terrier
June 6th, 2009, 02:18 PM
As far as o-line needs are concerned, I think you'll find that the better FCS programs try to get a few offensive lineman each year, and that most expect their recruits to take a couple of years to develop the strength, and skills needed to be a starter. As an example, W&M will probably start a sophomore, three juniors, and one senior on its OL this year. Good FCS teams try to carry about 15 offensive linemen on their roster.

As far as surrounding area, Williamsburg, VA is a beautiful, and historic place, with lots of water nearby, Busch Gardens, and Water Country USA. W&M is not a big party school, and the academics are demanding, so if you're not a strong and serious student, it can be tough. There's a family feeling to this small university. In the words of Derek Cox, third round pick of the Jacksonville Jaguars in this years NFL draft..."There is a sense of pride, trust and caring by everyone around you at W&M- they want you to succeed. William and Mary can set you up for big things."

suck up:p

jonmac
June 6th, 2009, 02:19 PM
NCAA Violation Warning. Not sure but some of you guys who are boosters(and aren't we all really?) should be careful here. Good luck recruit.

BossEagle
June 6th, 2009, 02:21 PM
suck up:p

LOL thats what i was thinkin as i read that, i said man the coaches really need to get this guy on their staff, all he's said isn't a lie though, i've got family up in VA. really nice in Williamsburg

Tribe4SF
June 6th, 2009, 02:21 PM
As far as coaching goes, W&M has had a very stable staff. Jimmye Laycock enters his 30th year as Head Coach this season. Offensive Coordinator Zbig Kepa is in his 26th season. OL Coach Bob Solderitch was an All-America Center for the Tribe, and begins his 14th year with the program.

Tribe4SF
June 6th, 2009, 02:31 PM
NCAA Violation Warning. Not sure but some of you guys who are boosters(and aren't we all really?) should be careful here. Good luck recruit.

I used to worry about that issue, until I reported another school for an NFL player alum having several direct conversations with a recruit. Nobody cared. I think the NCAA has conceeded that they can never police messageboards. PMing, or emailing should clearly be a violation, but folks in authority don't seem to want to do anything about it.

Rob Iola
June 6th, 2009, 02:34 PM
I'm an upcoming senior at my high school and I'm being recruited by a lot of the SoCon schools. I was wondering if someone would know which of the SoCon schools needs the most help on their Offensive line with me being a lineman. I also wanted to know which school has the best surrounding area, is a successful team, and has the most things to do at their school. Also a couple schools from the CAA including William and Mary and Old Dominion were looking at me and I just wanted to know whats around the colleges. Thanks
I believe that Old Dominion is just starting their football program (at the FCS level) - you'd probably make a much more immediate impact there than you would elsewhere, but then you'd be facing arguably the toughest schedule in all of FCS (CAA South) with less than a fully loaded gun.

Chi Panther
June 6th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Would be hard to turn down a degree from William and Mary....

Native
June 6th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Weber is far away from the CAA, but nearby winter sports areas are among the best in th world.

Wildcat head coach Coach Ron McBride emphasizes the offensive line, and has in recent years sent four offensive linemen to the NFL:

Jordan Gross - The number eighth pick in the first round of the NFL draft and current starting offensive tackle for the Carolina Panthers. (Utah)

Pat McQuistan - Offensive Lineman selected by the Dallas Cowboys in the 2006 NFL Draft (Weber State)

Paul McQuistan - Offensive Lineman selected by the Oakland Raiders in the 3rd round of the 2006 NFL Draft (Weber State)

David Hale - Offensive Lineman selected by the Baltimore Ravens in the 4th round of the 2008 NFL Draft (Weber State)

Other McBride proteges have gone on to play in the CFL.

catamount man
June 6th, 2009, 03:43 PM

YEP!!!!!!!!! Which is why I refuse to post on this particular thread.

gophoenix
June 6th, 2009, 04:17 PM

I was thinking the same thing. Good luck man.

I think you guys should refrain putting your 2 cents about whatever school you support. The Wofford guy is ok as he talked about other schools; if anyone talks about their own school and you are risking things....

For answers to your own questions, you should contact the schools you are interested in or take some trips over to look at the areas.

KiddBrewer
June 6th, 2009, 04:30 PM
YEP!!!!!!!!! Which is why I refuse to post on this particular thread.

i think you just did....DOOOHH!xoopsx

93henfan
June 6th, 2009, 04:36 PM
There's nothing wrong with talking about your school to a recruit. If you do it while buying him lunch, or after you paid his plane fare so he could come talk to you, or if you insinuate that there is some future financial benefit to coming to your school, then you're obviously committing a violation. Nobody seems to have done that here.

Lighten up folks. The guy wants information that you can't find on the school websites. That's all. He says he's trying to get a feel for what the SoCon is all about, who traditionally has the good o-line, etc. I bet what he really wants to know is if Georgia Southern chicks are hotter than Furman chicks, how hard he can party without getting in trouble with the law, and other things like that, but that's just a guess.

hippy@GSU
June 6th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Georgia Southern chicks are hotter than Furman chicks

You are correct.

thmst30
June 6th, 2009, 06:55 PM
I know A team that badly needs some depth on the O-line.xwhistlex

crusader11
June 6th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Venture up North and come to Holy Cross. HC and the Patriot League blow the SoCon away...at least from the academic standpoint. Although we would like to think we are catching up in football.

Go...gate
June 6th, 2009, 07:06 PM

Jonmac is right, all.

BEAR
June 6th, 2009, 07:28 PM

Reading the above information it doesn't look like the kid is looking for anyone to tell him which school to go to, but rather what is available at those schools. Keep your responses to what you know about those schools and the surrounding areas and all will be well with the NCAA and you. If the poster really wants to know about the schools and what's available, he could go to their official sites and city websites for more info. Good luck with whatever school you choose! xthumbsupx

GATA
June 6th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Georgia Southern doesn't want this kid...go to Wofford.

furman94
June 6th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Furman needs a strong O-Line to protect our UCLA QB ;). If you're looking for a private school with a beautiful campus and great surrounding area, look no further than FU.

gophoenix
June 6th, 2009, 10:34 PM

Best surrounding area is a matter of opinion.

The Citadel is on the edge of a downtown area on the peninsula and in an historic area. Lots of stuff nearby to do and is a big tourist area. Very humid during the summer, area is known to flood easily in hard rains (I used to live nearby). Minor League baseball park should almost be considered on campus. Lots of concerts in the area, lots of bands come to downtown, lots of good food. All withing walking distance.

Elon is in a suburban setting next to Burlington, a very short drive to two larger metro areas (Greensboro/High Point and Raleigh/Durham, technically part of the Greensboro metro) and in the middle of ACC country. Very typical type of upper scale beautiful private school type campus. Not very built up around campus other than houses.

Furman is on the edge of a medium size area in Greenville, nice this to do a short while into the city from campus and in hard core Clemson country. Beautiful campus along the lines of Elon in that department. Not much exciting within walking distance.

Wofford is in a smaller city that's part of the Greenville/Spartanburg metro. It is in the city proper. Lots for Clemson/USC in the area.

Western Carolina is in a rural Mountain area. Very pretty campus and area and I like it a lot. But lots of things to do are a longer drive away towards Asheville. I personally would have considered Western had it not been so far removed from a larger area.

Appalachian is in as much more of the definition of a college town that any of the other SoCon schools. Not quite as pretty as Western's area, but the tradeoff is much more to do in the town. Again, you're a bit of a drive to get to an area of any size (Winston-Salem or Charlotte). But lots to do in Boone within walking distance of campus. I love the Boone area, other than App being there.

Samford is basically in an area near Birmingham. Campus is beautiiful, along the lines of Elon and Furman. Lots to do in Birmingham. Hardcore SEC country.

UTC is in Chattanooga proper, again, lots to do like in Charleston or Birmingham. Lots within walking distance. Hardcore SEC country.

Georgia Southern is in the middle of a smaller city. It's a compromise between the larger cities and a school in an area like Western. But still, enough to do in the area to keep anyone happy.

William & Mary is in a historic town, and a tourist type area. So you get a lot of the same impact as your would with Charleston.

Old Dominion is in the heart of the Norfolk/VA Beach area. A larger metro, so you get a lot of the benefits of a large area. Since it is in a military area, you don't get so much of the VA/VA Tech thing in Norfolk like in other areas of Virginia).

So, really depends on what you are looking for to determine which is the best area. They all are different and all have their pluses and minuses.

Most successful programs? App, Furman, GSU by far. Wofford has been successful as of late. Elon, Western, William and Mary and Samford are much more up and down over their history. ODU is brand new. UTC has been fairly unstable as far as a program over the, well, past decade or more.

Most to do at schools? Usually the larger the school, the more things at the school there is to do just for the sheer fact of having more people be able to do things and more clubs, services, etc.

smallcollegefbfan
June 6th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Best surrounding area is a matter of opinion.

The Citadel is on the edge of a downtown area on the peninsula and in an historic area. Lots of stuff nearby to do and is a big tourist area. Very humid during the summer, area is known to flood easily in hard rains (I used to live nearby). Minor League baseball park should almost be considered on campus. Lots of concerts in the area, lots of bands come to downtown, lots of good food. All withing walking distance.

Elon is in a suburban setting next to Burlington, a very short drive to two larger metro areas (Greensboro/High Point and Raleigh/Durham, technically part of the Greensboro metro) and in the middle of ACC country. Very typical type of upper scale beautiful private school type campus. Not very built up around campus other than houses.

Furman is on the edge of a medium size area in Greenville, nice this to do a short while into the city from campus and in hard core Clemson country. Beautiful campus along the lines of Elon in that department. Not much exciting within walking distance.

Wofford is in a smaller city that's part of the Greenville/Spartanburg metro. It is in the city proper. Lots for Clemson/USC in the area.

Western Carolina is in a rural Mountain area. Very pretty campus and area and I like it a lot. But lots of things to do are a longer drive away towards Asheville. I personally would have considered Western had it not been so far removed from a larger area.

Appalachian is in as much more of the definition of a college town that any of the other SoCon schools. Not quite as pretty as Western's area, but the tradeoff is much more to do in the town. Again, you're a bit of a drive to get to an area of any size (Winston-Salem or Charlotte). But lots to do in Boone within walking distance of campus. I love the Boone area, other than App being there.

Samford is basically in an area near Birmingham. Campus is beautiiful, along the lines of Elon and Furman. Lots to do in Birmingham. Hardcore SEC country.

UTC is in Chattanooga proper, again, lots to do like in Charleston or Birmingham. Lots within walking distance. Hardcore SEC country.

William & Mary is in a historic town, and a tourist type area. So you get a lot of the same impact as your would with Charleston.

Old Dominion is in the heart of the Norfolk/VA Beach area. A larger metro, so you get a lot of the benefits of a large area. Since it is in a military area, you don't get so much of the VA/VA Tech thing in Norfolk like in other areas of Virginia).

So, really depends on what you are looking for to determine which is the best area. They all are different and all have their pluses and minuses.

Very good post and information.

One thing I will add is that over the last several years the best OLs in the SoCon have been from Wofford, ASU, and Furman. GSU will have a very good one in the next few years. Recruit, I would certainly send tape to those 4 schools and see what they say. Another one I would also consider would be Samford. I will say this. If you can get an offer from the first 3 I would take the one where you are likely to play the earliest because they will all win games and help you improve as a player.

Old Dominion is going to be a fast rising team. I know they are a start up but they will be winning in 4-5 years with all of the talent they have to choose from, even after the FBS programs pluck what they want from the ODU surrounding areas.

FCSrecruit
June 7th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Whoa i didnt know they're could be recruiting violations for this thanks for telling me. I have called and asked the schools about them, but they usually beef up the school for being better than it really is sometimes, and I know some people on here are from the surrounding areas. The schools that seem the most interested however are wofford and elon. Thanks for the help though every1

smallcollegefbfan
June 7th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Whoa i didnt know they're could be recruiting violations for this thanks for telling me. I have called and asked the schools about them, but they usually beef up the school for being better than it really is sometimes, and I know some people on here are from the surrounding areas. The schools that seem the most interested however are wofford and elon. Thanks for the help though every1

Both head coaches are very good as well. Lembo will have Elon contending for a NC soon. Ayers has already put Wofford in that position before and shown he can take a little and go a long ways. Ayers finds players for his scheme and they become better players because of how they fit in to what he wants to do.

FCSrecruit
June 7th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Thanks for doin that i appreciate it a lot

FCSrecruit
June 7th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Ive looked at all the websites to I just wanted to see what people that had lived in those areas had to say. I have only visited two schools so far which were Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee and I really didnt care for MTSU but I liked the people at WKU and the area around there. However, I believe I would start earlier at a FCS school and would earn a better degree with a lot of prestigious schools being in the SoCon. I will never leave any schools out of the question (Weber State guy) and I didnt know the people on here are boosters I'm not trying to get anyone in trouble. Thanks for all the information though on the schools I'll keep all of it in mind.

Wildcat80
June 7th, 2009, 06:04 AM
I'd never draw any conclusions from anonymous posters on this or any other board. take unofficial visits this summer, go to as many camps as you can, do not believe half of what coaches tell you--until they offer. In the end it will come down to where you feel the most comfortable--with players, coaches, students. You will spend less than 5% of your time off campus--decide based on what the campus feels like. ps- New Hampshire is successful cause recruits love our football "family", we are a bigger campus than most but in a beautiful New England college town, and are 60% very attractive females!xnodx

Monarch Nation
June 7th, 2009, 07:39 AM
I agree with the first part of Wildcat80's post (at least until he got to the UNH commercial xlolx). You have to go where you feel comfortable, and what is the best fit for you, not just the best football fit, but the entire fit. This is too important a decision to have it based on which stadium is newer or holds more fans. You need to think about life after college and how that university can help you get that start in your professional life.

catamount man
June 7th, 2009, 09:15 AM
i think you just did....DOOOHH!xoopsx

you know what I meant. xthumbsupx

EagleDawg
June 7th, 2009, 10:27 AM
FCS Recruit - Do all the research that you can and seek all the opinions of others that you can, take unofficials over the summer to at least 3 to 6 schools, take more unofficials in the fall to catch a game. After all of that though, you might still end up being unsure. My son did all of these things visiting App. State, Furman, Wofford, Elon, William & Mary and Coastal Carolina and ended up at none of those schools even though he had offers and interest. He ended up at another school that he initially knew little about but after taking his Official Visit, his interaction with the players and the coaching staff, for him it just felt right. The best thing is for you to have choices and do what feels right to you. The one thing that was a fairly common statement made by the coaching staffs at each of the schools during my son's recruitment was to choose a school where you really want to be besides the football part of it. They said there will be a few days that you hate football but the school will hold you there till the mostly good football days return. Best of luck, enjoy the process because it only happens once and the truth is you've earned it.

wcucat85
June 7th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Recruit
Visit Western Carolina and talk with the current group of players there.Sit down with Dennis Wagner the Head Coach and you will see why we all are very confident of what this man will do at Western in terms of not just footall,but life experience in general.He will stress all thats important in life not just football.Sounds like a cliche or just a line but please...Visit and see for yourself.

Reign of Terrier
June 7th, 2009, 01:03 PM

Wofford IS in Spartanburg

Husky Alum
June 7th, 2009, 05:04 PM

Quit rubbing it in. Bad enough the NY Times wrote a glowing review of Williamsburg in the paper this weekend, now you have to pile on.

That being said, there's an 8 year old and a 6 year old up in Boston who's dad wouldn't mind sending them down there for college.

;-)

Husky Alum
June 7th, 2009, 05:07 PM
I'd never draw any conclusions from anonymous posters on this or any other board. take unofficial visits this summer, go to as many camps as you can, do not believe half of what coaches tell you--until they offer. In the end it will come down to where you feel the most comfortable--with players, coaches, students. You will spend less than 5% of your time off campus--decide based on what the campus feels like. ps- New Hampshire is successful cause recruits love our football "family", we are a bigger campus than most but in a beautiful New England college town, and are 60% very attractive females!xnodx

It's Durham, there's lots of snow and hockey comes first. ;-)

Yes there are 60% females at UNH, but it's Durham and they're bundled up in their North Face coats and scarves most of the year, and the Freshman 15 is alive and well up there. xthumbsupx

If you want to go to school in a REAL city, graduate with a degree and practical work experiencecome to Boston, play at Northeastern, you'll feel right at home as our facilities look like your high school's - maybe even worse. :) xbawlingx

Tribe4SF
June 7th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Quit rubbing it in. Bad enough the NY Times wrote a glowing review of Williamsburg in the paper this weekend, now you have to pile on.

That being said, there's an 8 year old and a 6 year old up in Boston who's dad wouldn't mind sending them down there for college.

;-)

We'll be ready for those kids in 10 years!xthumbsupx

Was thinking about you earlier today as I was making my room reservation for Oct. 10, and your name came up about an hour ago at meet the coaches night for the midgets. My friend, and yours, from UC Davis was there, and asking about you.

DLS
June 7th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Appalachian is in as much more of the definition of a college town that any of the other SoCon schools. Not quite as pretty as Western's area,

i vehemently disagree. parkway and blowing rock trumps all.

Tribe4SF
June 7th, 2009, 05:40 PM
If you want to go to school in a REAL city, graduate with a degree and practical work experiencecome to Boston, play at Northeastern, you'll feel right at home as our facilities look like your high school's - maybe even worse. :) xbawlingx

Lots of Tribe fans coming to Parsons for the first time this fall, and I've been getting them prepared for the experience. I always like unique stuff, and Parsons is just that!

Wildcat80
June 7th, 2009, 05:54 PM
oh yeah--forgot to add: only an hour out of Boston so you can visit but you do not have to live anywhere near the NE campus!? Also Winter sports only an hour away and best of all summer workouts in the clean fresh air without the nasty humidity of down South or the pollution of any big city. Many people tell us our New Hampshire campus reminds them of State College--only smaller. I personally think we have the BEST state motto too---"Live Free or Die". Go Cats!!xhurrayx

apaladin
June 7th, 2009, 08:16 PM

I think he was pointing out that Spartanburg is smaller than Greenville.

bleedblue
June 7th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Sorry to any Hens fans but W&M is very special place. I love that town and the huge amount of history. Can't say enough but my friends (2) that graduated from W&M said most certainly it is not a party school and academics are insanely tough. I will say a degree from W&M goes a long way as it did for my boys. A degree from W&M seems to have any Ivy League feel to it, or so they say. I guess it all comes down to priorities, wish I would have had mine together at the age of 17. Oh well, good luck!

g-webb1994
June 7th, 2009, 10:05 PM
You are a large OL.....Spartanburg has The Beacon.....advantage Wofford.;)

gophoenix
June 7th, 2009, 10:38 PM

Uhm, I didn't say it wasn't. I said it is in the city proper, Spartanburg is just a smaller city, but then so is Greenville. Spartanburg is listed at 40k and Greenville at 60k. The counties are 280k for Spartanburg and 460k for Greenville while the Metro is 700k.

I could have gone into that detail, but didn't want to list it all out like that.

Burlington is basically 50k for Elon, with the county being 100k, which is part of the Greensboro metro of 1.5 million. But again, didn't go into that detail.

Was just trying to state that Elon is suburban, while Wofford and Furman are in urban settings.