PDA

View Full Version : Return of the DIVVY Awards

TexasTerror
June 5th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Is that what they were called...?

Anyhow, here's one from Dick Weiss...

The Rams are currently a member of the Atlantic 10 and play Division I in every sport but football, where they are an associate member of the Patriot League, which currently doesn't offer scholarships. Fordham will have to wait until the 2010 season to be eligible for the championship in that elite academic conference as well as the league's automatic NCAA playoff bid.

Source: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/weiss/2009/06/rams-to-award-football-scholar.html

E-mail: [email protected]

My response...

Dick,

In reference to your story titled, "Rams to award football scholarships for 1st time since 1954" - you state, "The Rams are currently a member of the Atlantic 10 and play Division I in every sport but football, where they are an associate member of the Patriot League, which currently doesn't offer scholarships."

This is where you are incorrect.

While Fordham is not in the "same league" with the Floridas, Southern Cals and Virginia Techs of the world - Fordham does indeed play Division I football. So do schools like Hofstra, Yale, Grambling and Montana. In fact, unlike Florida, USC and Virginia Tech, Fordham is eligible to compete for the Division I national championship. The BCS, if you will note, is not an officially recognized championship. If it were, the "champion" would receive your typical NCAA trophy. Instead, they receive a crystal ball. Fordham plays Division I football and competes in Division I in all sports.

Thanks for taking the time to read this correction and I encourage you to change your article to reflect Fordham's proper football standing in the collegiate sports landscape.

Syntax Error
June 5th, 2009, 08:22 PM
DIVVY as in Division. Makes me sick that these jokers are paid to write.