PDA

View Full Version : Charlotte Observer

SoCon48
December 3rd, 2005, 11:30 AM
No article, not even a sniblet, in today's Charlotte Observer, about TODAY's games:
Appalachian State vs Southern Illinois
nor the
Furman vs Richmond

Earth to Charlotte Observer/Knight Publishing:
Sure it's only I-AA, and it's already college basketball season (i.e. UNC-CH season, but for Pete's sakes,

IT"S THE QUARTER-FINALS!!

Thank goodness for the Winston-Salem Journal (Tommy Bowman) and the local Watauga paper (Steve Behr).

Am angry? Nope.
Just going to finally cancel my subscription for good to the Charlotte O.

ASU Kep
December 3rd, 2005, 11:34 AM
Hell yah, take a stand for the 'NEERS.

ASU Kep
December 3rd, 2005, 11:34 AM
Are you coming to the game?

rokamortis
December 3rd, 2005, 11:40 AM
No article, not even a sniblet, in today's Charlotte Observer, about TODAY's games:
Appalachian State vs Southern Illinois
nor the
Furman vs Richmond

Earth to Charlotte Observer/Knight Publishing:
Sure it's only I-AA, and it's already college basketball season (i.e. UNC-CH season, but for Pete's sakes,

IT"S THE QUARTER-FINALS!!

Thank goodness for the Winston-Salem Journal (Tommy Bowman) and the local Watauga paper (Steve Behr).

Am angry? Nope.
Just going to finally cancel my subscription for good to the Charlotte O.

You mean this article?
http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/colleges/13317497.htm

The State - a Kinght Ridder publication in SC has this for Furman
http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/sports/13317463.htm

SoCon48
December 3rd, 2005, 11:41 AM
Hell yah, take a stand for the 'NEERS.

That huge spread the other week naming App as the dubious #1 program in NC was nice, but it nowhere near makes up for them treating us like Dinkyville College in its lack of coverage of SoCon and App football.
Guess this shows that the CO's view of I-AA is that we're totally small time. To them, I-AA is no more Division I football than Wingate, Chowan, etc.

dungeonjoe
December 3rd, 2005, 11:43 AM
The Charlotte Observer I read this morning has an App st. article found on page 4C written by none other than Dave Coulson

SoCon48
December 3rd, 2005, 11:53 AM
You mean this article?
http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/colleges/13317497.htm

The State - a Kinght Ridder publication in SC has this for Furman
http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/sports/13317463.htm

Unfortunately that article is not in my edition of today's Charlotte Observer. (Sat Dec 3). I live 35 miles from Charlotte so it isn't due to mine being a remote edition. Mine comes by carrier. I've scanned each page top and bottom from page 1-C to page 12-C.
After you posted, I found it on the internet as well as your link and attachment.I pay zilch for the internet, but pay over $80 a year just for week-end editions by carrier.

Front page. Wartype: Catholic rumbles on (local high school)
To boot, it mentions in the Today's Tv of the sports section that App is on ESPNU. It does list the ASU-Davidson game on the radio network.
Under College Football on TV, it has the following games:

Tulsa,'s
Colorado's
Army's
Cal Poly's
UCLA's
Georgia's
Louisville's
Florida State's
No Appie, No Furmie

SoCon48
December 3rd, 2005, 11:54 AM
The Charlotte Observer I read this morning has an App st. article found on page 4C written by none other than Dave Coulson

IN SOME EDITIONS and the internet. Not mine. Read post 7, please.
Odd it's in yours but not mine and I'm onbly 35 miles from Charlotte.

SoCon48
December 3rd, 2005, 11:55 AM
Coulson is a good writer and an App grad, but he is still a stringer. The Winston-Salem Journal has Tommy Bowman cover EVERY ASU football game personally.

dungeonjoe
December 3rd, 2005, 11:58 AM
IN SOME EDITIONS and the internet. Not mine.

I can't explain that 05, mine came by carrier to and I am about the same distance from Charlotte. Like you, I am rarely satisified by the Observer's Southern Conference coverage.

SoCon48
December 3rd, 2005, 11:59 AM
I can't explain that 05, mine came by carrier to and I am about the same distance from Charlotte. Like you, I am rarely satisified by the Observer's Southern Conference coverage.

They do a fair job of covering Davidson basketball when winning or not.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2005, 12:08 PM
Coulson is a good writer and an App grad, but he is still a stringer. The Winston-Salem Journal has Tommy Bowman cover EVERY ASU football game personally.
I have it on good authority that Dave Coulson is NOT an App grad, but instead graduated from Fresno State. And he tells me that he has attended every ASU game since 1995, other than the Hawaii and Kansas I-A games in the last three years.

dungeonjoe
December 3rd, 2005, 12:20 PM
I have it on good authority that Dave Coulson is NOT an App grad, but instead graduated from Fresno State. And he tells me that he has attended every ASU game since 1995, other than the Hawaii and Kansas I-A games in the last three years.

wonder why anyone would think he was an App grad?? :) :) :)

SoCon48
December 3rd, 2005, 04:30 PM

Was under the impression he or you was at least a master's grad of ASU.

Guess not, huh?

JALMOND
December 3rd, 2005, 04:36 PM
Glad (or sad) to hear that there is a city daily that rivals the (Portland) Oregonian in terms of coverage (or lack of) of the I-AA.

No mention anywhere in the Oregonian that there is even a playoff game in I-AA today. But, of course, a lot of USC/UCLA, Linfield and the U of Portland womens soccer.