PDA

View Full Version : Who will get Oregon's Justin Roper

Ronbo
June 4th, 2009, 04:35 PM
He is visiting Montana according to ESPN College Live. Two years to play.

Career highlights form Oregon's website.

#11 Justin Roper
Position: Quarterback
Height: 6-6
Weight: 210
Major: Mathematics.
Redshirt: 2006.

2008 — Started the first three games of the season before being sidelined in overtime at Purdue with a knee ailment ... Injuries and illness forced him to miss the next four outings ... Returned in a backup role at Arizona State (Oct. 25), completing all four of his pass attempts for 86 yards, including a 62-yard touchdown toss ... Knocked out of action early in the season opener against Washington after completing 7 of 11 attempts for 114 yards with one TD and one interception ... Completed 13 of 18 passes for 173 yards and one touchdown the following week vs. Utah State ... Threw for a collegiate-best 197 yards at Purdue, compleing 20 of 47 attempts with two INTs ... Completed 40 of 76 passes for 484 yards and two scores as a starter and 8 of 15 passes for 126 yards and one TD as a reserve ... Also accumulated 85 yards and one touchdown on the ground in six outings, averaging 5.0 yards per carry.

2007 — Ended the season as the Ducks’ top signal caller and helped team to a Sun Bowl victory over South Florida, equaling program’s bowl record with four touchdown passes in his first career start ... Was 17 of 30 for 180 yards and zero interceptions against the Bulls ... Called on in the Civil War after Oregon lost its fourth quarterback on the season to injury earlier in the game and completed his first pass of the day for a 31-yard touchdown ... Also connected on a 3-yard TD pass and ran in another score from 7 yards out against the Beavers ... Marched the team 40 yards downfield for a potential game-winning field goal that fell short, finishing the game against OSU with 144 yards on 13 of 25 passing ... Completed passes in two other contests, going 1 of 5 for 8 yards at UCLA and 1 of 1 for 10 yards vs. Washington State.

2006 — Shared duties quarterbacking the scout team during his redshirt year.

HIGH SCHOOL — The PrepStar all-region pick ranked among the top 75 prep prospects in Georgia and one of the top 28 quarterbacks in the nation following his team’s 12-1 record and a 8-AA league championship in 2005 ... Completed 58 percent of his passes for 1,423 yards and 18 touchdowns as a senior despite operating within the confines of a run-oriented system ... Threw for over 1,500 yards and 10 scores in 2004 while suffering only three interceptions to lead team to state runner-up finish ... The Wolves accumulated a 25-3 record over his final two prep years, with Roper serving a role in a program that set the Georgia high school record for consecutive wins (47) ... The four-sport letterman also served as a guard on the school’s basketball team (averaging 7.3 points, 5.8 rebounds and 2.2 steals), where he played against Portland Trail Blazers center Greg Oden ... Finished third in the state high jump as a junior (school-record 6-6), and was clocked in 1:04 in the 100-meter breaststroke on the school’s swim team.

JackTwice
June 4th, 2009, 07:56 PM
I'd bet he is considering NDSU.

laxVik
June 4th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Rumor on Oregon boards is it's Montana.

93henfan
June 4th, 2009, 08:02 PM
I'd pass. Transfer QBs never work at this level.

Hoyadestroya85
June 4th, 2009, 09:42 PM
If I had to guess.. Mickey Matthews is giving him a call..

jmufan999
June 5th, 2009, 09:06 AM
If I had to guess.. Mickey Matthews is giving him a call..

i doubt it, Hoya. we've got a good QB now and Thorpe in the wings. you're right, it's always a possibility. Rascati led us to a NC as a Louisville transfer. so he's not opposed to the idea. i just think it'd be hard to convince a Georgia kid not to look at Georgia Southern.... Wofford (maybe not so much there because they pass so infrequently).... App State, etc..... hard to "lure" a southern kid to Harrisonburg, where the out of state kids are mostly from NY/NJ. so actually, you're probably right that The Mick would give him a call.... i just think it would be unlikely that he'd want to play for the Dukes. who knows though.

mtgrizfan4life
June 5th, 2009, 11:05 AM
He needs to be in a drop back system. He is not much of a runner/scrambler. I have not seen him play live other than a few games on tv. My impression is that of a pure dropback passer with a great arm.

laxVik
June 5th, 2009, 11:08 AM
He needs to be in a drop back system. He is not much of a runner/scrambler. I have not seen him play live other than a few games on tv. My impression is that of a pure dropback passer with a great arm.Yes and no. He did a decent job in Oregon's spread. Though watching him run is like watching a giraffe in slow motion. But he is more mobile than many his size. He is certainly geared towards a pro style offense.

NDB
June 5th, 2009, 01:55 PM
I'll take a math major any day...

Reign of Terrier
June 5th, 2009, 02:12 PM
i doubt it, Hoya. we've got a good QB now and Thorpe in the wings. you're right, it's always a possibility. Rascati led us to a NC as a Louisville transfer. so he's not opposed to the idea. i just think it'd be hard to convince a Georgia kid not to look at Georgia Southern.... Wofford (maybe not so much there because they pass so infrequently).... App State, etc..... hard to "lure" a southern kid to Harrisonburg, where the out of state kids are mostly from NY/NJ. so actually, you're probably right that The Mick would give him a call.... i just think it would be unlikely that he'd want to play for the Dukes. who knows though.

just throw out the female to male ratio and I think you could get some of us "southern kids"xthumbsupx

Ronbo
June 6th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Roper's in Missoula right now.

http://www.abcmontana.com/sports/blog

Click on the "Watch Video" for an interview with his Dad.

Cocky
June 6th, 2009, 07:38 AM
If he went to Buford he understands the recruiting process.