PDA

View Full Version : Beating the FCS Championship Odds

danefan
June 2nd, 2009, 11:13 AM
Sifting through the chances of a repeat champion for 2009

http://fcsnow.com/images/Richmond%20Spiders%20Eric%20Ward.jpg

(Chattanooga, TN) - Eighteen universities have won championships at the Football Championship Subdivision level (FCS, formerly division 1AA). Four of those teams have moved up to the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS, formerly 1A), while the remaining 14 are trying to do what every other FCS team in America is trying to do: win a 2009 NCAA Division I Championship.

The reality is that some past champions have much better odds than others at claiming another championship trophy.

Among those with the best chance at winning it all again is the reigning champion, Richmond. The Spiders return a solid core group from last year’s team that tore through the playoffs and stoned Montana in Chattanooga for the school’s lone championship. Silky smooth QB Eric Ward will be back, along with an elite receiving corps. Richmond have to replace an all-star defensive line and mighty Josh Vaughn at running back, but the crystal ball says that Mike London will have his team back competing for a CAA crown, and the Spiders will have a good shot at repeating.

Next year’s odds-on favorite to win it all, Appalachian State, returns nearly every starter from a team that probably should have won its fourth straight title last season. The Mountaineers return Walter Payton Award winner Armanti Edwards at quarterback, who may run away with this year’s award, too. If Appy State stays healthy at O-line, Vegas will likely pick them to sack Chattanooga for their school’s fourth championship, which would tie them for second all-time with Youngstown State for the most FCS championships.......

http://fcsnow.com/FCSchampionshipodds.aspx

Very good one from FCS Now!

OL FU
June 2nd, 2009, 11:29 AM
Well at least FU's on the listxthumbsupx

MaroonDoom
June 2nd, 2009, 12:19 PM
Good article. The OVC has to step it up soon or remain a doormat.

henfan
June 2nd, 2009, 12:20 PM
Beating, odds. Better be careful or the NCAA could construe this as a pro gamblxng article. xeyebrowx

TexasTerror
June 2nd, 2009, 12:47 PM
I am confused about FCS Now...

Try to figure out more through "About Us" and there's nothing there, outside of them declaring themselves as the "premier site for Football Championship Subdivision".

No information about who runs it. No information that I can see on who votes in their poll...?

The blog does not have much information at all.

What's the deal with this site? Sounds like another also ran, though we are out of season, so it's tough to tell what they will bring in-season.

danefan
June 2nd, 2009, 12:58 PM

Try to figure out more through "About Us" and there's nothing there, outside of them declaring themselves as the "premier site for Football Championship Subdivision".

No information about who runs it. No information that I can see on who votes in their poll...?

What's the deal with this site? Sounds like another also ran, though we are out of season, so it's tough to tell what they will bring in-season.

The blog is loaded with info. It has about 10 times the off-season stories that TSN does. It also appears to present straight facts.

http://fcsnow25.spaces.live.com/

Don't turn this into another SME issue TT. FCSNow provides another source of solid FCS news. That shouldn't be threatening to anyone.

Bill Hanson
June 2nd, 2009, 01:06 PM

Neither does this site, FYI.

Lots of really good information with straight up journalism.

TexasTerror
June 2nd, 2009, 08:25 PM
The blog is loaded with info. It has about 10 times the off-season stories that TSN does. It also appears to present straight facts.

The blog went without any articles from May 20 to June 1. That's nearly two weeks worth of time and when they did return, they posted a poll that had no information on who exactly voted in it.

Don't turn this into another SME issue TT. FCSNow provides another source of solid FCS news. That shouldn't be threatening to anyone.

I am not saying it's threatening to anyone, the more FCS coverage, the better. I was never truly against SME. I am just curious for who runs the web site and unlike SME - which clearly puts it's people out there and poll voters are known, this site does not.

It also lacks Southland Conference coverage...

If you go to the College Sporting News web site, you see the columnists and other people. When the preview magazine is posted, you see the individuals who contribute. Everyone knows who is involved.

smallcollegefbfan
June 2nd, 2009, 08:52 PM
The blog went without any articles from May 20 to June 1. That's nearly two weeks worth of time and when they did return, they posted a poll that had no information on who exactly voted in it.

I am not saying it's threatening to anyone, the more FCS coverage, the better. I was never truly against SME. I am just curious for who runs the web site and unlike SME - which clearly puts it's people out there and poll voters are known, this site does not.

It also lacks Southland Conference coverage...

If you go to the College Sporting News web site, you see the columnists and other people. When the preview magazine is posted, you see the individuals who contribute. Everyone knows who is involved.

Sounds like perhaps the person who created it does not want to be known? :D

smallcollegefbfan
June 2nd, 2009, 09:05 PM

Lots of really good information with straight up journalism.

Very true. xlolx

Syntax Error
June 2nd, 2009, 10:49 PM

What's the deal with this site? Sounds like another also ran, though we are out of season, so it's tough to tell what they will bring in-season.Yep, no mention of who they are and very little coverage. The "about us" page says "FCS Now began creating its FCS top 25 poll and predictions in 2000 and has developed into a national bellweather of the FCS (formerly Division I-AA) college football landscape." Yeah right. This is either Pete or Otto. FCS Now is a startup this year. Keep it going and come out from behind the curtain. xreadx

Bill Hanson
June 2nd, 2009, 11:05 PM
Yep, no mention of who they are and very little coverage. The "about us" page says "FCS Now began creating its FCS top 25 poll and predictions in 2000 and has developed into a national bellweather of the FCS (formerly Division I-AA) college football landscape." Yeah right. This is either Pete or Otto. FCS Now is a startup this year. Keep it going and come out from behind the curtain. xreadx

Please do not bash another FCS site. The more sites and the more news that the FCS can get the better IMO.xthumbsupx

smallcollegefbfan
June 2nd, 2009, 11:37 PM
Please do not bash another FCS site. The more sites and the more news that the FCS can get the better IMO.xthumbsupx

I am just curious. Are you behind this site? :D

Bill Hanson
June 2nd, 2009, 11:39 PM
I am just curious. Are you behind this site? :D

No, but I am all for FCS. The more coverage, websites, blogs, news, and the like that is out there the more recognition we all get as a result. Right?

smallcollegefbfan
June 2nd, 2009, 11:40 PM
No, but I am all for FCS. The more coverage, websites, blogs, news, and the like that is out there the more recognition we all get as a result. Right?

Very true!

CrunchGriz
June 2nd, 2009, 11:50 PM
Yep, no mention of who they are and very little coverage. The "about us" page says "FCS Now began creating its FCS top 25 poll and predictions in 2000 and has developed into a national bellweather of the FCS (formerly Division I-AA) college football landscape." Yeah right. This is either Pete or Otto. FCS Now is a startup this year. Keep it going and come out from behind the curtain. xreadx

I'd say that they can't claim to be a "bellweather" until they learn how to spell "bellwether".

Just a snarky thought....xsmiley_wix

T-Dog
June 3rd, 2009, 12:07 AM

What's wrong with actually wanting the coverage to be about the teams and staying behind a curtain? You act like they're evil just because they don't give a care for self-recognition and care more about the FCS.

TexasTerror
June 3rd, 2009, 07:46 AM
I think we are all about more coverage, SE included.

There is just confusion regarding some of the things mentioned on the site.

Who comprises those members of the poll?

Why are we just hearing about this site this year when they claim to have been around since 2000?

Who is running this site and do the schools, conference know about this site? It's hard to gain credibility or traction when you are not working with the schools, conference media relations people. That's how AGS has gotten pub for their poll - the relationships with the conference.

Just thoughts. And keep in mind, these are coming from someone who has been on both the media relations and media side of the FCS spectrum. ;)

AshevilleApp2
June 3rd, 2009, 07:54 AM
Good article. But how/why is App next years odds on favorite to win the title?

DLS
June 3rd, 2009, 08:10 AM
Good article. But how/why is App next years odds on favorite to win the title?

"Appalachian State, returns nearly every starter from a team that probably should have won its fourth straight title last season. The Mountaineers return Walter Payton Award winner Armanti Edwards at quarterback, who may run away with this year’s award, too. If Appy State stays healthy at O-line, Vegas will likely pick them to sack Chattanooga for their school’s fourth championship"

that's how. the team is stacked

AshevilleApp2
June 3rd, 2009, 08:16 AM
"Appalachian State, returns nearly every starter from a team that probably should have won its fourth straight title last season. The Mountaineers return Walter Payton Award winner Armanti Edwards at quarterback, who may run away with this year’s award, too. If Appy State stays healthy at O-line, Vegas will likely pick them to sack Chattanooga for their school’s fourth championship"

that's how. the team is stacked

I may have misread. I was thinking the article implied the 2010 season.

But I disagree with the article that we should have won the fourth straight last year. Richmond's lines dominated ours on both sides of the ball. Even if Edwards had been 100% I don't think we win that game.

89Hen
June 3rd, 2009, 08:34 AM
But I disagree with the article that we should have won the fourth straight last year. Richmond's lines dominated ours on both sides of the ball. Even if Edwards had been 100% I don't think we win that game.
Thank you for saying so. I read the first post with the quote from the article and that really stuck out to me and I was about to post it and question it.

Appalachian State, returns nearly every starter from a team that probably should have won its fourth straight title last season.

danefan
June 3rd, 2009, 08:38 AM
TT and SE,
No matter how noble your intentions may be here, I think you really need to realize your posts come across on the screen as sounding as if you are threatened by this website.

Perhaps its the old message board language issue. But based on my prior experience here with other would-be FCS supporters (e.g. SME) I would venture into saying that you are trying to create a monopoly on FSC news. But your supposed FCS website features more about the MIAC than anyone on FCS, especially in the offseason.

I'm sorry, I just don't get the need to judge so quickly. The article I posted is a good and informative read. Comments like: "looks like another also ran" and "very little coverage", etc. are nothing more than sour grapes.

And please, I would suggest that you, SE, refrain from telling anyone to "come out from behind the curtain."

Bill Hanson
June 3rd, 2009, 08:40 AM
TT and SE,
No matter how noble your intentions may be here, I think you really need to realize your posts come across on the screen as sounding as if you are threatened by this website.

Perhaps its the old message board language issue. But based on my prior experience here with other would-be FCS supports (e.g. SME) I would venture into saying that you are trying to create a monopoly on FSC news. But your supposed FCS website features more about the MIAC than anyone on FCS, especially in the offseason.

I'm sorry, I just don't get the apathy. The article I posted is a good and informative read. Comments like: "looks like another also ran" and "very little coverage", etc. are nothing more than sour grapes.

And please, I would suggest that you, SE, refrain from telling anyone to "come out from behind the curtain."

Good post!xthumbsupx

BigHouseClosedEnd
June 3rd, 2009, 09:07 AM
TT and SE,

Perhaps its the old message board language issue. But based on my prior experience here with other would-be FCS supporters (e.g. SME) I would venture into saying that you are trying to create a monopoly on FSC news. But your supposed FCS website features more about the MIAC than anyone on FCS, especially in the offseason.

I'm sorry, I just don't get the need to judge so quickly. The article I posted is a good and informative read. Comments like: "looks like another also ran" and "very little coverage", etc. are nothing more than sour grapes.

I agree with what you are saying.

Liberty2005
June 3rd, 2009, 09:30 AM
Another FCS site? Sweet! I hope it is packed with news and information that I could use to expand my knowledge. Are there other FCS sites? What's SME?

danefan
June 3rd, 2009, 09:38 AM
Another FCS site? Sweet! I hope it is packed with news and information that I could use to expand my knowledge. Are there other FCS sites? What's SME?

SME Broadcasting
http://www.smebroadcasting.com/

They do a online radio show, poll and game predictions.
They focus on DI mid-major athletics and FCS football.

wideright82
June 3rd, 2009, 10:28 AM

The only thing known about who votes in our poll is that they are posters. No specifics. No verification of knowlege, and we sure as hell don't know who runs this jaint (xcoolx). My question is, who gives a crap? The fact that you are so worried about the legitimacy of a completely irrelevant poll/fcs news site makes me giggle. xlolxxlolx

danefan
June 3rd, 2009, 10:36 AM
One other thing - I've search TSN up and down and I can find any info on who votes there either.

But yet somehow that's the NCAA's recognized poll.

The only two polls that I can find voter info on are the Coaches poll and the SME poll.

DLS
June 3rd, 2009, 10:45 AM
I may have misread. I was thinking the article implied the 2010 season.

injuries all over is what killed us in the end

Liberty2005
June 3rd, 2009, 11:21 AM
SME Broadcasting
http://www.smebroadcasting.com/

They do a online radio show, poll and game predictions.
They focus on DI mid-major athletics and FCS football.

Thank you. I heard about championshipsubdivision.com, I'll have to check that one out.

TexasTerror
June 3rd, 2009, 11:29 AM
One other thing - I've search TSN up and down and I can find any info on who votes there either. But yet somehow that's the NCAA's recognized poll.

The TSN poll is the media poll. That's a "good enough" response for me, especially since I know about 10-15 guys personally who vote in that poll. xthumbsupx

The only thing known about who votes in our poll is that they are posters. No specifics. No verification of knowlege, and we sure as hell don't know who runs this jaint (xcoolx). My question is, who gives a crap? The fact that you are so worried about the legitimacy of a completely irrelevant poll/fcs news site makes me giggle. xlolxxlolx

AGS poll is the fan's poll based on those from this particular community.

TSN poll is the media poll. Same votes who all the schools know and send info to regarding candidates for the Payton and Buchanan Awards.

SME poll is the broadcaster's poll.

Coaches poll says what it is in the name.

What is the FCS Now poll? It does not say now, though the are XXX amount of voters.

It does not lend credibility to the poll, especially for those who are trying to promote their teams (i.e sports information directors). SIDs are familiar with Athlon, Lindy's and the above four (AGS, TSN, SME and Coaches), but are going to be less willing to promote a poll if they do not know about it and can not verify the credibility.

This is no smack and I am not trying to stray this conversation in a different direction, just questioning where this poll derives from as I am sure those who actually have the job of promoting teams are as well.

Bill Hanson
June 3rd, 2009, 11:31 AM
The TSN poll is the media poll. That's a "good enough" response for me, especially since I know about 10-15 guys personally who vote in that poll. xthumbsupx

TSN poll is the media poll. Same votes who all the schools know and send info to regarding candidates for the Payton and Buchanan Awards.

What is the FCS Now poll? It does not say now, though the are XXX amount of voters.

It does not lend credibility to the poll, especially for those who are trying to promote their teams (i.e sports information directors). SIDs are familiar with Athlon, Lindy's and the above four (AGS, TSN, SME and Coaches), but are going to be less willing to promote a poll if they do not know about it and can not verify the credibility.

This is no smack and I am not trying to stray this conversation in a different direction, just questioning where this poll derives from as I am sure those who actually have the job of promoting teams are as well.

This is an honest question and also not smack.

So it only lends credibility if you know some of the people that vote?

TexasTerror
June 3rd, 2009, 11:34 AM
This is an honest question and also not smack.

So it only lends credibility if you know some of the people that vote?

Those who follow FCS football are pretty familiar with the writers. The whole College Sporting News staff gets a vote, that's about 7 or 8 guys right there. We all read their stuff and most, if not all of them, are posters on this board.

The FCS beat writers that even those of us outside of said writer's "area" are familiar with - i.e Fritz Neighbor of the Missoulian, Nick Deriso of the Monroe News-Star, etc - are among the voters.

Bill Hanson
June 3rd, 2009, 11:36 AM
Those who follow FCS football are pretty familiar with the writers. The whole College Sporting News staff gets a vote, that's about 7 or 8 guys right there. We all read their stuff and most, if not all of them, are posters on this board.

The FCS beat writers that even those of us outside of said writer's "area" are familiar with - i.e Fritz Neighbor of the Missoulian, Nick Deriso of the Monroe News-Star, etc - are among the voters.

Anyone from Idaho State that I might know?

wideright82
June 3rd, 2009, 11:53 AM

Fair enough. I'll shoot him an email and find out! should have some sort of contact on the site, and I believe he is a member over at the other site, so I should be able to PM him. Stay tuned. xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
June 3rd, 2009, 11:56 AM
Fair enough. I'll shoot him an email and find out! should have some sort of contact on the site, and I believe he is a member over at the other site, so I should be able to PM him. Stay tuned. xthumbsupx

Thanks wideright!

That would be great if you could supply more information the poll and the site to all of us. I am sure others would appreciate any additional info you find out, especially since we have SIDs, members of the media and several coaches on this board.

I didn't realize until SE said it that they had been around since 2000. You know me, read up on everything possible that is FCS, so I can do a better job with my poll, sharing/spreading news, etc.

jmufan999
June 3rd, 2009, 11:56 AM

i had a whole big paragraph about this but i just deleted it.

look dude. no one is worried, we're just voicing opinions. it's nice to know WHO wrote something, that's a perfectly legitimate question. or we can just take everything we read in our daily lives and start telling other people it's gospel. "but the internet said it's true... so it must be." i don't know where you got that people are "worried" about this. we're just on a message board, i don't think anyone has made a big deal out of anything. perfectly legit questions to be asking.

wideright82
June 3rd, 2009, 03:16 PM
i had a whole big paragraph about this but i just deleted it.

look dude. no one is worried, we're just voicing opinions. it's nice to know WHO wrote something, that's a perfectly legitimate question. or we can just take everything we read in our daily lives and start telling other people it's gospel. "but the internet said it's true... so it must be." i don't know where you got that people are "worried" about this. we're just on a message board, i don't think anyone has made a big deal out of anything. perfectly legit questions to be asking.

Maybe you missed TT and my exchange or something, but I wasn't talking to a collective group. If in my post I somewhere said, "hey jmufan999, stop getting so worked up about it" then I apologize. xthumbsupx

wideright82
June 3rd, 2009, 03:17 PM
Thanks wideright!

That would be great if you could supply more information the poll and the site to all of us. I am sure others would appreciate any additional info you find out, especially since we have SIDs, members of the media and several coaches on this board.

I didn't realize until SE said it that they had been around since 2000. You know me, read up on everything possible that is FCS, so I can do a better job with my poll, sharing/spreading news, etc.

agreed. I'll look into it further. xeekx (made me laugh when I looked over at it, so I had to use it.)

TexasTerror
June 3rd, 2009, 03:27 PM
FCS Now is on this board - I messaged him earlier this morning and hope that he responds.

Either you hear something or I hear something, please post wideright.

wideright82
June 3rd, 2009, 04:36 PM
FCS Now is on this board - I messaged him earlier this morning and hope that he responds.

Either you hear something or I hear something, please post wideright.

Sounds good!